Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bro124245

how well does Doryx 150MG work?

my dermatologist put me on this for a week now,

has anyone used this? I have not seen much improvement I actually think it got a bit worst........

please help

Ok, this is a bit of a long story...

I have been on antibiotics for acne since May. I probably have mild or moderate cystic acne. My derm first put me on minocyline which gave me 104 degree fevers so I stopped taking it - very bad idea. I started get cysts really badly again after about a week so I went back to the dermatologist.

Then she put me on doryx 100mg which worked for a while. It also didn't make me dizzy or nauseous or give me fevers like the mino did. Then I started breaking out again after a month or two. So, back to the derm I went.. Then she put me on the 150mg for two weeks which worked great. Then I went down the 100mg again. After another month she put me on Solodyn 45mg (because she was out of doryx samples and I don't have prescription insurance) My face continued to stay clear for a few more weeks until I started breaking out again.

So, I went back on the 150mg. The second time it didn't work as well. The last two days I was on it my face looked good, then it was time to go back down to the 100mg again. My skin does look 100 times better than it did in May but I am still breaking out a little. I am going to the derm on Wed to see what else we can do. I am also on retin-a micro and neo benz.

So basically, it all depends on the person, hopefully it works for you. But, it my experience antibiotics only work temporarily. I have to say the doryx 150 did work well for me at first and hopefully it is what you need!

So basically, it all depends on the person, hopefully it works for you. But, it my experience antibiotics only work temporarily. I have to say the doryx 150 did work well for me at first and hopefully it is what you need!

Out of curiosity, did you use the antibiotic with the regimen? Or just the antibiotic? My dermatologist put my Doryx 150 mg yesterday, but I was going to pair the antibiotic with a skin clearing routine.

As for the OP, my dermatologist told me that it usually takes two weeks min before you even begin to see improvements and, before that, your skin may appear to get worse because the antibiotic is flushing out toxins and bacteria. I have no idea how true this is, though!

My regimen was washing in the morning with neutrogena, doryx 150 then down to 100, along with the neobenz 3.5% cream and at night washing and retin-a micro. When I first started taking the antibiotics I don't think it got worse in the first few weeks. I still got a few new cysts in the first week or so, but I did see it start to clear right away (fewer cysts then normal).

I just went back to my derm today (it seems like I live there lol) and she put me on Oracea 40 mg. Hopefully this one works! Otherwise I think it might be time for accutane! :(

Hi i have acne as do all of you. i used to use over the counter drugs but now my derm has proscribed neo- benz (morning) and retina micro(night) i also take the doryx at night before bed. i have been on the doryx for about a week but i have seen no result yet. the other creams woorked better. So i called my derm, fanny berg, she told me that the tablets would take time to adjust to. a week after that my acne started to go away its still there and bad but after 2 weeks it wennt away and looked 10 times better. :surprised::think::ninja:

I am just starting Doryx for acne on my chest and back. My face is ok. I'll keep you updated on how it works for me. However, I won't put one pill in my mouth before I fully research the possible side affects and how it works.

Everyone should NEVER>>>>EVER>>>>>NEVER>>>>>EVER blindly follow their doctors/derms prescriptions. Research it yourself first. I used acutane at a young age and it was very uncomfortable but seemed to work like a charm. Ever since that day I have slowly developed a horrible sweating problem. I sweat everyday, all day, in air conditioned rooms and all. Recently, I was researching the affects of acutane and found that it may cause excessive sweating! ! ! My life is forever changed because I was too young to research it for myself and my derm didn't tell me anything about sweating! I would have thought twice about acutane if I'd know that because I'm already a heavier sweater than most people.

If you are prone to a certain thing (like I tend to sweat more than others) and the antibiotic says that one of it's side affects is "excessive sweating", chances are that you WILL expierence that side affect. Almost gauranteed. Another example is cancer. Lets say your family has a history of breast cancer......If you are taking a medication (LIKE BIRTH CONTROL) where one of the possible side affects is a raised chance of developing breast cancer, I would HIGHLY, HIGHLY suggest that you NOT take it or anything like it. (THE DOCTOR and DERM will NOT tell you this 99% of the time) Be Smart.

Back to Doryx...

One thing I already know is that I will take probiotics after my doryx treatment. Any time you take an antibiotic it is killing a mass number of bacteria. The bad thing is that antibiotics don't distinguish good bacteria from bad bacteria, they just wipe out all of them. Then, bad bacteria will start to grow back faster than good bacteria, which is a dangerous cycle which tons of people don't even realize they are falling into. This could be the cause of a wide range of health problems from your past and future. Go to whole foods (or somewhere like that) and buy probiotics! Make sure they are LIVE probiotics. Some brands will gaurantee that you will get 'X' number of good bacteria but do not gaurantee they are 'LIVING', which makes it useless to you. Take probiotics even if you aren't taking antibiotics. Chances are at some point in your life you have taken antibotics and not replenished your system with probiotics. Once you start taking LIVE probiotics, your good bacteria will become healthy and greatly out number your bad bacteria. I just learned this and it makes so much sense.

Antibiotics are great only when you can't find another alternative, but... the truth is... antibiotics are NOT good for you. So research and try to find other ways fix your health first. I know many people know this, but it's good to mention.

Now that I've said that, I'm going to go research doryx more and start taking it soon.

I'll keep you posted.

MY NAME MEANS 'find a balance between natural medicine and the stuff (antibiotics) that your doctor/derm prescribes you. find a balance between their knowledge and your knowledge. do whats best for you. the doctor doesn't ALWAYS know what is best for you. i hope some one reads this and makes an active change in their life on how they approach these things. ALWAYS look to the natural side of medicine first...it won't ruin your life and/or give you the runs!!!!! (well usually hahaha) but never down play the importance of a doctors wisdom and experience. I usually start on natural cures for things as I'm scheduling a doctors appointment. ; )

FIND A BALANCE!

*lol I didn't feel like downloading spell check.... I apologize in advance.