Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello! I want to document my exciting Accutane journey! Here's my history:

I am a 20 year old female college (NURSING!) student. My acne story has been mild my most life consisting of at the most 3 zits at a time and oily skin but not too bad. I used proactiv (i know, i know it's a load of crap) and that mostly kept my face manageable That is until 6 months ago when my face EXPLODED! And I have lovely back and chest acne and a flare up or two sometimes on my kneck! UGH! I dont know if it was due to stress of nursing school, a very stressful relationship, hormones etc. So anyways, the past 6 months my derm has put me on: Doxycycline, RetinA, BenzylPeroxide. No success. I tried DKR, zinc, changing pillow case, 2 cups of green tea a day, proactiv, . No success. I went to a dermatologist back home (in Ca$hville!) and she is great----gave me the Ipledge booklet in the first appointment! I start Accutane on Dec 20 and am SO EXCITED to get clear skin. People take clear skin for granted---these past 6 months have been hell on my emotions, self confidence, and social life. I know the Accutane path is a long one, I just hope it will be worth it. In the mean time, my derm prescribed 300mg BID of Cendafir Antibiotic, Differin .3% at night, Benzylperoxide .5% day and the Cereva wash/moisturizer line. I wanted to start this Blog now....too see if these intermediary treatments the month before I start Accutane actually helped..I'm also taking Ocella (generic for Yasmin) BCP, Zinc and fish oil.

I go home today for Thanksgiving break....ughh I don't really want to show my face with all this exploded acne to friends back home...but I guess I can't stay in hiding forever right?

Anyways...here's a picture of me with beautiful clear skin from just a FEW months ago...I'm on the left in the blue at my sorority's spring formal. *sigh* I really miss these days and can't wait to get back...

miss these days...

Here's a picture of me and my sis taken last weekend at a football game. I'm the one in ORANGE! GO VOLS! I have makeup on...the picture is far away so you can't really see all the damage...I kinda just wanted to post this because the VOLS won this weekend! woot!

go vols!

And here is my lovely face now:

right

left

uggh!! Acne is so weird and random! I have no family history of acne. Where did it come from? Ok anyways...I'm excited to start Accutane! Bye for now happy Thanksgiving to all you Americans!!

post-85438-1227644617_thumb.jpg

post-85438-1227644617_thumb.jpg

TWO WEEKS PRE ACCUTANE

Hello...all...

So I start Accutane in two weeks now...Since I've been on the Omnicef, Differin .3% and Benzyl Peroxide my skin has remotely improved...remotely...not too much of a difference but my dad swears it has improved so ehh whoo knows. I'm just excited to start...My face is soo greasy though!! ughh!

I can't figure out how to add a profile picture? My computer is acting screwey.

Anyways...I have noticed that the past 6 months of my breakout my entire body has been on crazy oil production mode...my hair is SO GREASY all the time. I just shampooed and blow dried my hair this morning...and now (4pm) its sooo greasy. I don't even condition it? weird...I'm addicted to tanning so I am tanning like crazy these next two weeks because I know when Tane starts I won't be able to do that...

QUESTION: Ok before I broke out like crazy, I rarely wore makeup and if I did I just wore pressed powder. Now that I have acne issues...I have experimented and experiment and haven't found the perfect combination yet. I am looking for an EXCELLENT concealer with amazing coverage, liquid foundation, and powder that takes away all the shine shine shine! Any suggestions???? I really need help on this one...My roomate suggests going to MAC and getting a makeover to see what works best ? What do ya'll think????

Ok gotta go study Pathophysiology final on Friday (ughh!!)

I feel your pain! I had completely clear skin and then a medication I was on made me break out like crazy so I know what it's like to suddenly have to deal with it. The accutane will definitely help with the oily skin and in the mean time blotting papers do wonders. As far as makeup goes I use Bare Essecentuals. It is the most amazing thing ever. I use it with a fluffy powder brush and then go back with a concealer brush to cover any spots. They do sell a concealer type powder but I've never needed it even when my skin was really bad. It's all about the concealer brush. As for the profile picture I think it's the avatar thing. I had a hard time with it too, but I guess I figured it out... if only I could remember how. Anyway, good luck with your treatment! Only two week, woohoo!

Keep staying positive and keep us updated = win

Glad to see the Vols firing the coach and moving in a new direction any stadium that holds 110k needs to do well =D

I just finished my accutane course maybe a month ago and accutane will defintely help with the oil issues. After a month of being off the meds by oil has not came back it is awesome, before I started the meds I was an oil slick. Have you tried bare minerals makeup? I have heard that MAC breaks a lot of people out. Good luck with your course!

Under your user name you will see My Menu

Then My Controls

On the left side of the page Under Personal Profile

Edit Avatar Settings

Then Upload

Best of luck on the tane course........

Hey Persisted, Daisy, Devan and Rockets all thanks for all your encouraging words!!

Anyways...YES Rockets I AM SO EXCITED about our new coach Mr. Kiffin...not to mention he's a hottie! :) haha

Anyways...so I start tane in like 10 days or so...I'm nervous for: the IB because I happen to be starting it right in the middle of my Christmas break---when I'll be going out a lot and seeing old friends...and my ex. I wouldn't really mind it much if it happened here at school because my life consists of studdying, going to class and going to clinical. But ugghh this is my break! my social time!! I'm trying to keep positive about it.

I am using Clinique clarifying makeup and powder and Clinique advanced concealer...i guess it works ok but you know how acne is even under the best makeup its still there :(

so that has been occupying my mind........ahh!!! ! acne!!! go away!!

hey hun only 10 days now woohoo! exciting stuff. iv been on it for 1 month now, and already iv seen results! my forehead is completely clear and my face is hardly oily at all, so who knows you might even see results over christmas (or thanksgiving, whatever you guys call it). ur skin looks quite similar to mine so il keep track of ur progress. and about the guy troubles, i really hope this guy has cleaned up his act, cuz sounds like he was into some crazy stuff. if u really do want him, dont let acne stand in your way, itl be all gone soon anyway. just remember, he aint perfect either, and we all have insecurities, and you know that he accepts you for who you are. your gorgeous even with ur acne and he knows it, so dont push him away if he treats you well, cuz decent guys are hard to find!!! oh btw, loreals mineral makeup is AMAZING at covering blemishes!! iv tried heaps like I.D. bare minerals, revlon, and others i cant remember, and loreal has the best coverage, lasts the longest, and is the least shiny. love love LOVE it. and it aint to expensive which is great for us students. anyways best of luck with your treatment.

Carol xo

Visit My Accutane Log

Hey my name is Britt... and I am starting accutane in about a month. I will be a ways behind you, but I will be reading your log to see how things go for you. Good Luck :)

DAY 9

Okay okay okay I haven't forgotten about acne.org. I contribute to my long long absence to: working overtime the minute I got home and the lack of internet at my dad's house (where I'm spending my winter break). But NOW that I have the internet I will upkeep this log!

So anyways I am on day 9. My Course is 5 months of 80 mg a day divided in two 40mg doses. My dermatologist explained that she uses the high dosage the whole time for all her patients with the idea that once 5 months are up---face/skin/oil glands will be completely free of acne and will never have to go through another round of Accutane. I was a tad hesitant, but am trusting and will see how things go.

So far...no real effect on my acne. I believe I am experiencing the 'Initial Breakout' I have a HUGE monster cyst on my chin and one right next to my nose. My cheeks and forehead still have breakouts as well. Ugh gross! I am just pushing through I hope it will be worth it in the end.

I've been having to pile the concealer/foundation/powder on over this Christmas break because I've been working--I'm a hostess at a steakhouse. I am looking forward to going back to school and spending all that time studdying without having to pile on makeup. Letting my skin breath.

Chapped lips out the wazooo....thank goodness for Aquafor.

Boy is out of my life. Long long long story. He turned out to be a by the definition psychopath. I had to change my phone number and everything. Ehh that's life!

My cousin came over to my house the other day to warn me of accutane, she says her boss took it and that is why she is currently infertile. I kinda brushed off her advice. I haven't read or heard anything like this before so maybe it is a coincidence.

Life is ok...trying to keep positive about the acne situation and all but it's just hard. I cried today because even with makeup i still feel ugly grr grr. Anyways I will post pictures when I get back to school! Hope all is well thanks a ton for all the comments ya'll are great!!

YEAH vanderbilt won their bowl game!! wooowhoo!!

We are on the same day and dose!! I hope what your dermatologist said about the high dose treatment curing acne is true. Did you start off the bat at 80/day? I am supposed to up my dose to 80 after a couple of weeks at 40. I know how you feel about dating, it is almost easier to sabotage any potential mates than have to deal with the anxiety of having them see you without makeup. Good luck with the boy situation, and if he is being psychopath as you say, don't let him ruin your winter break. Just wait, in a couple of months, we will not have to worry about any of the effects of acne dysmorphia. Check out the pictures I posted the other day, my skin was flawless for 4 years after I went through Accutane the first time, it is worth the IB and side effects. Happy new year!

Hey! I will def. be following your log since you are going to be a good month or so ahead of me! I am not sure what dosage I am going to be starting on but 80 sounds so high! I hope that it does the trick!

I read one of your earlier posts about makeup, I use MAC studio fix fluid which also has SPF 15, but it doesn't blend so well on dry skin days. On those days I like to use Clinique Superfit Makeup, which is also a liquid. The makeup can only do so much, I also use my hair and part it to the right side since that's where I have the most breakouts - it works!! Oh and also I tried out the Mac powder, but it gave me tons of blackheads eventually... But I have been reading in people's journals that it doesnt matter what you put on your face while on tane? Is that true??

Anyways I am sure I'll be back here soon, Good luck!!

DAY 13

Giselle- I realized I was a day off in my earlier posts...oops! So I'm one day ahead of you :)

IB has DEFINITELY started...7 cysts on my right side...two with ugly whiteheads uggh and 2 on my left. Gross!! I hope this is it for my IB. I really hope it starts clearing from here. I am scared for more breakouts--I already have loads of redmarks I don't want anymore!

I'm kinda sad about this breakout. I just hope it will all clear ahh ugghh I hate acne! My roomates invited me out last night...I wanted to go buuuuut my skin was holding me back. AH! ACCUTANE start working!!

I've been rearranging my apartment/furniture/stuff so that has been giving me an activity to do. I am taking a retreat with the student nurse group so I'll be in the wilderness (haha) for two days. I hope my skin doesn't look TOO bad in natural sunlight.

Side effects include chapped lips and a weird small patch of rough skin on my hand.

DM I part my hair on the side to...and don't put it behind my ear. Good trick :surprised: Thanks for the makeup advice---I've been using Clinique clarifying makeup. Dryness hasn't been a problem for me (yet!).

Happy New Year to all! :o)

If you are a day ahead of me, I will be able to see into the future by reading your log. :think: Good luck getting through your IB, it will clear up before you know it. I've noticed that my cysts shrink relatively quickly since I started my course, so hopefully yours do the same.

If you ever get too upset about the red marks you IB is leaving you with, just think about how many more you would have had in the long run if you'd never taken Accutane. Always make me feel better! It'll be over before you know it and believe me when I say you won't even remember it when your skin is crystal clear. Most important of all, hand lotion is your best friend! I forgot that for a couple days and the rash on my hand went mad. Not pretty.

Your story sounds really similar to mine! I had pretty much clear skin apart from the odd hormonal spot, then all of a sudden a few months ago my face literally exploded too! My skin actually got a LOT worse that what yours was. What's interesting is that I was started on 10mg of Isotretinoin (Accutane)... which is SO much lower than your dose. I am taking Enthromycin (antibiotic) as well, so maybe that's why my dose is much lower than yours? But I find it crazy that you're on such a high dose. I have had little to no side effects, and I only have a couple of small actives after about a 1 and half months. It's really interesting how different dermatologists treat people.

Good luck! It's so worth it to get your confidence back!

P.S - you are a gorgeous girl! :)

Hey kids!

DAY 18

The IB has continued over the past 5 days. My skin is the worst it's ever been. I've had these Ginormous (seriously they are huge!) white heads...I had at one point 7 on my right cheek and 4 on my left cheek all in full force at the same time. I looked so hott! I also developed a lovely cluster of 4 cysts under my left jaw line and 2 under my right. Blackheads still exist around my nose and cheeks.

Side Effects: Chapped lips...that's all!

Skin is starting to look remotely less oily. I still am oily but I can definitely tell a difference from my pre-accutane oilyness.

SO let me make sure I have this right: Accutane pushes out stuff that I already had under my skin? This crap would have come without accutane too...just over time? And my huge IB is due to the fact that my derm started me on a HIGH dosage (80 mg a day). Am I seeing the Accutane picture accurately?

I will talk to my derm in my 1 month appointment and ask about maybe getting Prednisone or something else prescribed so these IB zits don't get so obnoxious like they are!

I ended up doing the 'proper method' of popping a pimple and putting neosporin or benzyl peroxide on them overnight. I guess that kinda helped. Currently, my face is still fighting this awful breakout...I don't want to hold my breath and say that was it over...

Emotionally: I'm doing better. School has started with a huge chunk of work already this first week! Clinicals start next week so that will just make me busier. The busier I am the less time I have to sit and worry about my acne. I am surrounding myself with good girlfriends. I haven't had the confidence to go out out just yet...it's ok though!

Until next time!!!

Persisted-thanks for the positive reinforcement!! a positive attitude is key I know!

Daisy-thanks also for the encouraging words. It's great to hear from someone who's been down the accutane path before. I've actually been putting aquaphor on my little rash and it's been taking care of it!

Your story sounds really similar to mine! I had pretty much clear skin apart from the odd hormonal spot, then all of a sudden a few months ago my face literally exploded too! My skin actually got a LOT worse that what yours was. What's interesting is that I was started on 10mg of Isotretinoin (Accutane)... which is SO much lower than your dose. I am taking Enthromycin (antibiotic) as well, so maybe that's why my dose is much lower than yours? But I find it crazy that you're on such a high dose. I have had little to no side effects, and I only have a couple of small actives after about a 1 and half months. It's really interesting how different dermatologists treat people.

Good luck! It's so worth it to get your confidence back!

P.S - you are a gorgeous girl! :)

My derm prescribes all her accutane patients no matter the age/weight with the 80mg/day dose for 5 months. Her reasoning is that after 5 months of such a high dosage acne will be completely eradicated for life. I still am a tad skeptical. The high dosage has contributed to a awful IB. I am going to ask about maybe being put on prednisone or an antibiotic to help with this IB. Thanks for the comment!! Accutane will be worth it in the end :)

Gosh I definitely know how you feel, I didn't get acne until a few months ago. I'm really considering Accutane but I'm afraid of long-term effects. I really hope your treatment goes well and that your IB will go away soon!! I'm so conscience about my acne I barely turn around to look at people when I talk to them cause all they do is end up staring at my FACE instead of my eyes...awesome feeling I tell you.

Its crazy how many 20-something college girls are going on accutane right now. And here I felt like I was the only one- i guess it can feel that way sometimes.

Anyways, I have decided to go on accutane... I just want to feel pretty again (as horrible as that sounds)

I am sorry you are going through a bad IB right now... I experienced the same thing when I was on Retin-A about three months ago (except it never went away). I know exactly how it feels to stay in because you don't want to deal with ppl seeing your skin...or simply want to just hang out without makeup on. I am not looking forward to going through another IB- one is enough!!

But just think! In a few months you will be able to get all dressed up and feel good about yourself again :)

I am on Day Four and nothing is happening at the moment. (Oil has stopped being produced, which is the first time in my life haha)

I am starting with 40 mg for the first month.

Good luck with everything!

I am 5'10 159 pounds.

DAY 21

wowza 3 weeks!!

I feel the initial breakout might be...clearing..or drying out. But I don't want to speak too soon. It seems to be but ehh who knows. I have healing of the IB on both sides, no new outbreaks within the past day or so. Loads of blackheads around my nose and cheeks. Under my left jaw i still have a good number of huge cysts. My makeup looks like poo :( ahh I can't wait for this IB to clear!!

Still have chapped lips. My inner nose is really really dry can i put Aquaphor up there?

Just waiting for this crap to clear---so I can gain my confidence back! I was a lamebo and stayed in this weekend despite numerous invites to go out..blahblah! It's was ok though I had a shit ton of reading to do. and I watched cruel intentions.

I started drinking 2 cups of Green Tea a day. I did this for most of last semester, and I'm not sure of it's effect on my acne, if any. It's good for me tho! Lotsa antioxidants and another route of hydration woowhoo!

UT women lost in bball.. :(

I hope your IB is on it's way out!!! At least you know that if not today, it will be soon you know? I am stuck with what I have on my face for 2 more weeks! Then I will gladly welcome the IB! (haha that's totally a lie i am sure I will complain!)

Anyways just thought I'd tell you that I also stayed in this weekend too - It's kinda torture!! Definitely doesn't help with the depression of having the acne in the first place. But I just can't imagine letting all my friends see me like this! Esp. the guys! LOL

Yay for being on week 3 though!!