Notifications
Clear all

YAZ birth control

MemberMember
(@laurenbee03)

Posted : 11/25/2008 12:28 am

does anyone know if YAZ birth control helps control hormonal acne?

MemberMember
(@lexief)

Posted : 11/25/2008 7:40 am

I'm sure at first, but what I'm certain of is I would never take bc again. In total I took 5 years of pills (every brand) and 2 years of depo shot. Worse mistake ever....it caused my period to become irregular, spotting, and that's when my chest acne began. My hormones are now so unbalanced. I've been off bc for over 4 years and I'm still having problems.

Second mistake, taking antibiotics for acne.

It may help short-term, but long-term it causes problems. Just my view anyway.

MemberMember
(@cml819)

Posted : 11/25/2008 11:05 pm

It's advertised as such. I took Yasmin briefly, then Yaz, and both were a nightmare for me. My acne cleared up for the first month, then came back strong as ever. The worst part about both pills is that they gave me terrible mood swings. I burst out crying when I lost a game of checkers, cried at sad commercials, and got angry very easily. Talk to your doctor first, and if you're already using a pill that's working, stick with it. I'm back on my old pill now, and since using the BP and AHA, my acne is practically gone.

MemberMember
(@jokerj)

Posted : 11/26/2008 4:17 pm

I'm sure at first, but what I'm certain of is I would never take bc again. In total I took 5 years of pills (every brand) and 2 years of depo shot. Worse mistake ever....it caused my period to become irregular, spotting, and that's when my chest acne began. My hormones are now so unbalanced. I've been off bc for over 4 years and I'm still having problems.

Second mistake, taking antibiotics for acne.

It may help short-term, but long-term it causes problems. Just my view anyway.

so what did the antibitoics cause lexie? jsut curious to know because i'm getting off them in january cause i feel like they do my body no good

MemberMember
(@laurenbee03)

Posted : 12/01/2008 2:43 pm

well i am on YAZ.. i will try anything my face is that bad.. i have PCOS and one of the symptoms of that is acne... it's the worst acne ive ever had! (usually i just use some acne treatment and it goes away.. but not this stuff!) the only way ill leave the house is when im working and when i go to class.. THATS IT im just sad about all this.. i might as well give YAZ a try.. what have i got to loose? im starting my 3rd week.. and no sign of imporovement yet... i go to the dermatologist in 2 days and i have never been so excited for a drs. apt. in my life.. also my dad has me on all these vitmians to clear my face up.. like- zinc, fish oil, grape seed extract, primrose oil.. and some others.. this acne has just got me stumped i dont know how to clear it up.. i've tried everything: binzaclin, proactive, BP, face washes, lotions, organic ance treatment, boots acne treatment, grandpas sulfur soap bar, etc. and nothing has worked yet! it's frustrating!!!

MemberMember
(@daniel-j)

Posted : 12/10/2008 6:19 pm

well i am on YAZ..

YAZ or Yasmin is worthless and potentially dangerous since it raises potassium levels.

They execute people on death row by raising potassium levels enough to stop the heart.

You'll notice much more warnings on YAZ or Yasmin than Ortho Tricyclen (generic: Tri Sprintec). For obvious reasons. Ortho Tricyclen is probably the safest birth control pill on the market. Plus, its FDA approved for acne treatment!

Taking Spironolactone at the same time as YAZ or Yasmin is dangerous since they all raise potassium levels.

If I was a woman with moderate to severe acne I'd go for Tri Sprintec & Accutane. As an alternative, do Tri Sprintec & Spironolactone. Both are time tested & safe.

MemberMember
(@suzy_rondelle)

Posted : 12/10/2008 6:33 pm

for me it made it worse. much, much MUCHMUCH worse.

MemberMember
(@laurenbee03)

Posted : 12/10/2008 6:55 pm

i've only been on YAZ for a month but it hasn't made it worse or better.. just the same it will prolly take a couple weeks.. when i went to the derm. he put me on Spironolactone and Doxycliclne and he knew i was on YAZ he said he would check my potasium levels next apt. so i think im just going to stick with this for now and see what happens?

MemberMember
(@shortee807)

Posted : 12/13/2008 9:15 pm

For me, yaz did absolutely nothing for my skin, and it gave me crazy bad mood swings. Needless to say, I got off of it after about 7 months of taking it. My acne is hormonal too, and no birth control has helped yet, only antibiotics so far.

MemberMember
(@jokerj)

Posted : 12/14/2008 3:55 pm

For me, yaz did absolutely nothing for my skin, and it gave me crazy bad mood swings. Needless to say, I got off of it after about 7 months of taking it. My acne is hormonal too, and no birth control has helped yet, only antibiotics so far.

have you tried spiro?

MemberMember
(@everyskyisblue__)

Posted : 12/24/2008 2:27 am

Yaz gave me an initial breakout that was bad, cleared my acne for a couple of months, and then WHAM I got acne in places I had never had a problem with before like my jawline and chin. It was mostly nodules and cystic acne, too, so it took forever to go away. I'm still dealing with the residual scars left from Yaz.

From what I've seen from Yaz, if it doesn't clear your skin instantly, it's just going to fuck shit up.

I recommend Ortho Tri-Cyclin. That's the pill that ever really got my skin crystal clear.

The only reason I'm taking something else now is because that pill messed with my menstrual cycle after a while. However, I would still recommend it as it doesn't seem to cause that problem for most women.

MemberMember
(@kikii)

Posted : 12/24/2008 2:40 am

yaz is an awful awful birth control pill. i took it for about a month and a half, and had so many bad mood swings...i finally threw out the pack when i smashed my laptop and cell phone into itty bitty pieces in the same day, and then immediately brought them to the store crying..... lol eek! and it only made my acne slightly worse... i like seasonale (or seasonique, the lighter version) a LOT for acne... it made my acne lots lighter, and stabilizes hormones very well.

MemberMember
(@mr-spicoli)

Posted : 12/24/2008 2:44 am

Can't say b/c I rarely take yaz. lol Sounds like it should help control hormonal acne.

MemberMember
(@daisygirl)

Posted : 01/09/2009 10:06 am

I was on Yaz for two years and it never cleared up my hormonal acne (all over my chin/jawline). Around the 4th month I broke out in painful hard cysts all over my face, including my cheeks-the ONE area I never broke out on before or after taking Yaz. They just stayed on my face, not growing or coming to a head, for about a month. I still have scars from that awful month and that was November of 2006. It did get better but my skin never "cleared." It just calmed down I guess but I don't think it could've gotten much worse. I'm now on Diane and my skin is almost as bad. Good luck!!!

MemberMember
(@midnightbroadway)

Posted : 01/09/2009 11:05 pm

Okay, after reading several posts, I'm feeling a little nervous about this pill! I just started Yaz three days ago. This is the first time I've ever taken any form of birth control (I'm still a virgin sue me!) My gynecologist recommended it for me. My best friend is on Yaz, and now her skin is flawless, but then again she has mild acne and every woman is different. I hope Yaz works for you! Good luck!

MemberMember
(@njcollegegirl)

Posted : 01/10/2009 12:35 am

AHHH i saw the topic of this post and i need to warn you, i have hormonal acne and this is the WORST birth control ever! i havent come across a bcp that actually helps clear the acne, but i HAVE come across a bcp that makes your acne 200% WORSE and that is YAZ. stay away from it.

MemberMember
(@ihateacnetoo)

Posted : 01/11/2009 7:59 pm

I was on YAZ and it DID clear up my hormonal acne and did work well for PMDD. I just recently came off it because I felt it was making me sluggish and gain weight and my acne has returned FULL FORCE around my chin, cheek and the back of my head, it is really painful. Plus, my skin is oily as hell and my hair is greasy after one day after washing. I feel like going back on it. Does anyone else have any experience like this? I am thinking it's just my body adjusting (been about a mth), but the acne is driving me crazy...

MemberMember
(@daniel-j)

Posted : 01/11/2009 8:17 pm

I was on YAZ and it DID clear up my hormonal acne and did work well for PMDD. I just recently came off it because I felt it was making me sluggish and gain weight and my acne has returned FULL FORCE around my chin, cheek and the back of my head, it is really painful. Plus, my skin is oily as hell and my hair is greasy after one day after washing. I feel like going back on it. Does anyone else have any experience like this? I am thinking it's just my body adjusting (been about a mth), but the acne is driving me crazy...

Do yourself a favor and switch to Orth Tri-Cylen. It's only $9 without any health insurance from Walmart or Sam's Club if you get the generic version: Tri Sprintec.

YAZ & Yasmin alter potassium levels and can cause heart problems.

MemberMember
(@elizabethrosem)

Posted : 01/22/2009 2:53 pm

had same problems with yaz!!! made my acne worse.. and gave me terrrible mood swings.

MemberMember
(@af1girl)

Posted : 01/25/2009 11:46 pm

wow! i am shocked by all the negative YAZ experiences!

I was on YAZ for 4+ months along with .1% RentinA micro. During that time, my skin cleared completely! The only reason I stopped taking the YAZ is b/c I developed a painful spider vein in my thigh. When I stopped taking YAZ, the pain went away and the vein is less apparent (thank god).

When I stopped taking YAZ, my acne came back - even tho I was still using RAM.

One of my good friends has been on YAZ for 2 months now with no bad side affects and her skin in clearing up!

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@keegsdur)

Posted : 01/30/2009 7:28 pm

I am also shocked by all the negative experiences with Yaz, so I thought I'd ease the nerves of those just starting it... I had mild acne in my teenage years, and then it became moderate and very persistent when I was 21. My skin was always very oily and no matter what products/washes I tried, I responded to nothing. This made me think it was hormonal. I am now 23 and I was interested in going on a bcp for the birth control part, so thought I had nothing to lose. My doc recommended Yaz because of the dual benefits, and I also learned about how your risk of certain cancers decreases while on the pill. As with any birth control pill, it does slightly raise risk of blood clots, strokes and high blood pressure, so if that runs in your family (or yourself) you and your doctor should weigh your risks/benefits. I have only been on Yaz for a little over a month, but I can already tell you I'm not getting off of it any time soon! My skin cleared up very quickly, and now my primary concern is fading some scars. I also love the benefit of having a regular, and very light period. Mine were never regular, and I always got very moody and had a lot of cramps around that time of the month. Not on Yaz!! I'm so glad I decided to try it! Hopefully more people will report their positive experiences with it on here!

Also, I just want to say that I strongly disagree that accutane is safer than spironolactone... The spiro dose in Yaz is so low and it is only a mild diuretic. I would not take accutane, especially being a woman. Causes horrible birth defects among other things...

MemberMember
(@elephanteyelash)

Posted : 02/02/2009 8:12 pm

I've been on Yaz for a month now. I like it - I don't have any cysts anymore. The acne I do have is manageable by bp. :) Hope it continues this way

MemberMember
(@harperb)

Posted : 02/09/2009 2:30 am

I just switched to Yaz about 3 weeks ago and my skin has never looked this bad!!! I was taking Diane-35 for about a year but the last couple of months it was making me miss my period. But at about the same time I started taking Yaz my dr. prescribed me Retin A .01% so I really don't know which is causing me to break out so bad. I went from having a few small pimples to having them everywhere, even places I never did before! I don't know what to do!!!

MemberMember
(@elephanteyelash)

Posted : 02/09/2009 7:23 pm

harper - i know this sounds annoying, but give it some more time. my doctor told me it normally takes 3 months to see results. the first week or so i was on it, i broke out a little more than usual as well. it might be part of the purging process - that might have been under your skin and waiting to come up anyway. don't give up yet!

MemberMember
(@harperb)

Posted : 02/09/2009 8:42 pm

Oops, it's actually Yasmin that I'm taking...I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Anyways, It's been so long since I've switched my BCP that I don't remember if I had an IB before. I know I won't see results immidiately but it's so frustrating when it gets way worse than it initially was. I've stopped using the Retin- A a couple of days ago now to see if my skin gets any better but it hasn't....I guess my skin does just needs time to adjust. Thanks for the help:)