Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
disco!

xxx Please Read & Respond!! xxx

Hi disco!,

I just want to throw in my two cents about the accutane debate for your problem. Speaking as someone who was on accutane, I completely agree with bran88 - use it ONLY as a last resort. It is definitely playing with fire. I did get excellent results with it, but it came at a price. My vision was messed up for about 9 months (dried out my eyes very badly), and it slows the skin's healing. I got a red mark while I was taking it and it literally took years to get it back to normal.

I've also read about people getting permanent joint aches from it, although I did not experience that. There can be psychological effects as well. Before you decide to do it, I would suggest looking at "accutane survivors" forums to read peoples' experiences.

I think bran88's suggestion of trying allergy testing and prescription medications first (either topicals or oral antibiotics) is the way to go. I also think you should try 4 to 6 small meals per day instead of just two meals like you're doing. Frequent meals should help your body function better (i.e. store less fat, provide a steady flow of nutrients). That's just my opinion. One more thing on diet: fish oil and flaxseed oil capsules may help (at least 3 per day, 1,000 mg capsules).

One final suggestion: check out Paula's Choice products for oily skin. That's what I use and have had good results. Her Skin Balancing Cleanser for Oily/Combination skin is great for stripping oil off. And her Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA) products are great exfoliators. She has samples available too.

Let me know if you have further questions about accutane. Best of luck to you!

I think if all else fails within the next few months, accutane is the way to go. Things I have tried that work and I am 44 with still quite oily skin.

Asprin mask: Dissolve some generic asprin till it becomes a paste, then apply it to your skin. Leave it on for a while, wash off with warm water.

I would stop with the exfoliation. I do believe bacteria can be spread this way.

I like the clean and clear toner which has salicylic acid, works as an exfoliant to unclog pores.

Ten o six toner is good also and contains lactic acid which is good for cell turnover.

Use a gentle cleanser, but tone, tone, tone.

Change pillowcases daily, may seem like a small thing but can make worlds of difference.

Try not to stress about things, stress can cause breakouts.

Drink a vitamin enhanced water beverage. I think this helps my skin when I do it.

Don't pick.

You may want to consider a blue light treatment. I tried this with a smoothbeam a few years ago, and it nicely dried out my skin. It flaked for a week and I had not one breakout for ages. Shouldn't cost more than 100.00.

I sometimes take a supplement called Herpanacine. Available at some health food stores for around 28.00 for 100 tablets. Works almost as good as some prescription anti biotics but is all natural.

Again, use a gentle soap or cleanser and always rinse well.

I sometimes use an aveeno moisturizing product which is supposed to help keep the skin clear. I forget the name but can be found with aveeno product and the bottle does say it helps clear the skin.

Red meat--- dont eat it.

These are some of the things I found that help me in my almost 30 years of oily skin. I have never had severe acne but moderate a few times in my life.

I hope this helps.

Peace.

thanks for the last two posts

a quick update:

i see the derm at the end of the month! i'm really excited.

i hafta keep telling myself that the derms isn't a miracleworker

but nonetheless, any shred of hope is welcomed.

i've been do some holistic stuff in the meantime. I try to watch what I'm eating and I must be doing something right because my face (to me at least) looks better some days, despite a few new whiteheads. My mom makes sure to tell me when I'm having "good days" lol and she's been saying it more often so thats gotta count for something, yeah? I've gotten more and more recommendations for accutane. My friend who apparently had terrible acne before I met her strongly recommends it. She admitted to chapped lips and dry skin, but I would have to say that that sounds preferable to cysts. so I will definitely have that in mind when I go in after christmas.. we'll see what happens :/

thanks for your guys' support

lets get through this together

whatsup everyone

thanks for all the posts

just a quickk update : I have finals this week so I'm trying to get off my procrastinating ass and get some studying/essays done so I'm not stressing later this week. Cuz we all know what stress will bring :/

My skin is looking a little better each day I gave up the exfoliator like some of you suggested. I searched upon my myriad of cleansers from over the years and committed to Clearasil's "Ultra" Daily Face kit with the daily cleanser and toner. I've actually been rather clear (for me) for the past week. the occassional whitehead, but no biggie, i suppose. Trying not to get too excited though cuz winter break is coming up so I'm sure I'm bound to breakout the day all my friends come home from school.

I had a nasty whitehead right under my eye and it was the one that was big enough so that you can always see it in your lower peripheral vision. haha eww but it cleared up in about a week.

Anyway, the derm draws nearer! Dec 29 i think. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and support but realistically, I think I'll be asking for accutane or at least a generic form of it. It's not as if im being biased either. I think it's fair to say that I've given "other methods" a fair try. Three years of trial and error is starting to wear me down both physically and emotionally. And I've read about these other poor people who have battled for like 14+ years?? NO THANKS! And if tane doesn't work, then I'm right back where I started, so I think I'm gonna go for it. Please dont bash me with all the downsides of tane, believe me I've taken them into consideration which is why its taken me 3 long, stubborn but painful years to finally give in to accutane. But thanks again for your support guys. I honestly feel that some of you get me better than my own friends and family.