Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
disco!

xxx Please Read & Respond!! xxx

Ok, as difficult as it was for me to upload these,

to say that I'm desperate is an understatement.

This is what I've been dealing with for the past 2+ years

and i know you've heard it before, but NOTHING is working.

Firstly, how would you rate my acne? I'm pretty convinced I belong on this forum

I'll get a few cysts every now and then but even if its just whiteheads, I'm 100% sure it would be considered severe.

Does anybody else have a similar case? I want to talk to YOU!!

what I've noticed is all the advice I've been following has been coming from those users who are bitching over three measly zits. I need someone who understands what I'm going through.

Please, anyone, help me out here.

Much thanks.

the bad side

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/Iri...pg?t=1227569461

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/Iri...pg?t=1227569486

my "better" side

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/Iri...pg?t=1227569531

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/Iri...pg?t=1227569596

Your skin looks oily to me. I would have to say due to the possible scarring and the pics shown you're probably a pretty good candidate for Accutane. I would try a few things prior though, because the possible side effects are eh, not so great to say the least.

Your acne is severe- I dealt with a similar case (cystic without the whiteheads) on my cheek bones (front of face).

When I went on accutane, I started clearing up (and prevented new ones from forming) within a month. Have you ever been on accutane before?

If you wanna avoid accutane, you should try to make major lifestyle changes like changing your diet. Your body may need a flush, some sort of toxic cleanse, and from that point on a completely new diet. Do some research on possible acne causing foods- there are a lot of them.

You may find that you have a reaction to dairy, wheat/gluten, or another type of food. You should try to cut some of these possible acne causers out of your diet and see what happens, at least that's what I would do.

You may wanna also check out the nutrition and holistic health forum...

lenz - i barely have a set regimen these days but lately i've been using clean&clear exfoliating scrub and then following with the continuous cleanser. I've been drinking acv everyday for about two weeks now and will occasionally do the face wash with it.

bask - i've never been on accutanceand originally wanted to avoid it due to notorious side effects. but i've been doing the altered-diet method for a little less than a year now and you see how well its working. so idk accutane is looking better and better everyday

is this your first time taking ACV? I've just started using it now and its been a week and 3 days....I'm using it as a toner after I wash my face and drinking 2 tablespoons per day. I found the first 4 days I was using it my skin seemed to be getting a bit better, now I'm going through a breakout all over my face...maybe its the purging stage?? How do you find its been doing anything for you??

is this your first time taking ACV? I've just started using it now and its been a week and 3 days....I'm using it as a toner after I wash my face and drinking 2 tablespoons per day. I found the first 4 days I was using it my skin seemed to be getting a bit better, now I'm going through a breakout all over my face...maybe its the purging stage?? How do you find its been doing anything for you??

I hate to be a downer but I had about the same results. I started drinking it about 2 weeks ago and my skin started to seem better, I was breaking out less at least. I didn't start using it as a toner until this week but I've been drinking it and it seems like some progress is being made, but not as much as I'd like. But i guess thats the story with all things I've tried. Who knows, keep at it I've heard it works wonders for some people.

Hey Disco,

Maybe you should not use an exfoliating scrub on your skin, I did read once that it can spread infection, so if you doing that daily you could be spreading your infection and hence it's not getting better. I know exfoliating is good and is needed but you have to be careful to not spread it! I am sorry I don't have much advice to give! I am in the same boat, however I have moderate acne and have suffered with it for 14years now. I get the huge blind pimples that last for ages! I am searching for natural remedies myself! I been on antibiotics, used proactive! but none helped! I am starting to used Apple cider vinegar externally and baking soda once a week! ...only been a few days but so far so good! And I am eating loads of veg and fruit! no processed crap! So hoping that will do something! wishing you the best disco!! sorry i coudlnt give any fanstistic advice!

Hey Disco,

Maybe you should not use an exfoliating scrub on your skin, I did read once that it can spread infection, so if you doing that daily you could be spreading your infection and hence it's not getting better. I know exfoliating is good and is needed but you have to be careful to not spread it! I am sorry I don't have much advice to give! I am in the same boat, however I have moderate acne and have suffered with it for 14years now. I get the huge blind pimples that last for ages! I am searching for natural remedies myself! I been on antibiotics, used proactive! but none helped! I am starting to used Apple cider vinegar externally and baking soda once a week! ...only been a few days but so far so good! And I am eating loads of veg and fruit! no processed crap! So hoping that will do something! wishing you the best disco!! sorry i coudlnt give any fanstistic advice!

hey its all good bud

your support is appreciated.

the best of luck to you as well. hopefully we'll both overcome our plagues :D

hey disco i think i see some ingrown hairs as well. how do you shave?

also your acne is definitely severe no ifs or buts. Don't mess around too much and go straight to accutane. Go straight to accutane.

From what I am seeing I know your going to use accutane one day or another so the question right now is how long will you take to make that decision. Good luck and please take care! You will win!

also your acne is definitely severe no ifs or buts. Don't mess around too much and go straight to accutane. Go straight to accutane.

From what I am seeing I know your going to use accutane one day or another so the question right now is how long will you take to make that decision. Good luck and please take care! You will win!

ya im starting to realize that myself.

i normally dont shave because i hardly ever need to

but when I do? Idk i've never given it much thought, I lather up and shave away

for shaving dont use ELECTRICS! never ever use em unless you have a $200 electric. lol

shave gently but confidently. double razors are the least irritating. shave wet, preferably in the shower with a fog free mirror or shave right after you get out of the shower. and be sure that the lather your using is non comdongenic. never shave against the grain but with it. yup

have u talked to a doc?

Hi Disco,

I don't have severe acne anymore, but I have had acne as bad or worse than yours in the past so I can understand how you're feeling. Can you say how you've modified your diet? Are you taking any supplements? Can you describe your general health? Also I agree that you should not be using the clean and clear scrub, try something gentle like purpose or cetaphil. You also NEED to be using a prescription topical. I love natural remedies, but for the most part, they are not as strong as prescription stuff. Have you tried anything specific in the past? A dermatologist would most likely reccomend some form of retinoid, maybe combined with benzoyl peroxide..I love clenia emollient cream (sulfur based) and I also use azelex, these topicals work very well for me. I also use a honey and egg yolk mask. For me, it is a combined effort, I have to modify my diet and use topicals.

Lately I've also been drinking warm (not hot, not cold) water with 1/4 of a lemon's juice and 1-2 tspns. of raw natural honey. I started this mainly for health, and can't say what it will do for acne since I was mostly clear before I began, but it is much more pleasant than ACV tea (which I've tried) and works based on similar principles (lemons are alkalizing), also the honey dissolved in room temp water is supposed to be really potent antibacterial. It might be worth a try for you too! good luck

ps accutane might be worthwhile for you, but I would try everything else first!

Hi Disco,

I don't have severe acne anymore, but I have had acne as bad or worse than yours in the past so I can understand how you're feeling. Can you say how you've modified your diet? Are you taking any supplements? Can you describe your general health? Also I agree that you should not be using the clean and clear scrub, try something gentle like purpose or cetaphil. You also NEED to be using a prescription topical. I love natural remedies, but for the most part, they are not as strong as prescription stuff. Have you tried anything specific in the past? A dermatologist would most likely reccomend some form of retinoid, maybe combined with benzoyl peroxide..I love clenia emollient cream (sulfur based) and I also use azelex, these topicals work very well for me. I also use a honey and egg yolk mask. For me, it is a combined effort, I have to modify my diet and use topicals.

Lately I've also been drinking warm (not hot, not cold) water with 1/4 of a lemon's juice and 1-2 tspns. of raw natural honey. I started this mainly for health, and can't say what it will do for acne since I was mostly clear before I began, but it is much more pleasant than ACV tea (which I've tried) and works based on similar principles (lemons are alkalizing), also the honey dissolved in room temp water is supposed to be really potent antibacterial. It might be worth a try for you too! good luck

ps accutane might be worthwhile for you, but I would try everything else first!

actually i have yet to see a derm

i guess for the past few years I didn't want to believe that my acne was so bad that I would need prescription treatment, ya know?

As the years went on I just kept telling myself that I was overreacting and would eventually find that magic solution on my own. and then it just, got out of control. :/

sunaah - you might have a point i probably do shave against it at times.

bran - thanks for your thoughts

as for my diet, first i gave up excess sugar way back when when i started to notice my acne as problematic. in years since then, i've given up wheat/ wheat flour, dairy products, anything with large amounts of carbs, calories, saturated fats. Not permanently of course. These days, I'll pretty much eat anything but watch my portions. somedays I'll only consume liquids I know cant be good but it leaves my skin looking better. I've been taking lots of water with and without acv.

as for supplements, our homeopathic doctor hooked me up with some A and D, Omega 3 fish oil and a bunch of other stuff that didn't work. I've ran out of all of it so currently I'm not on any supplements. And health? I've never had to try too hard to be healthy. My dad and brothers constantly have to watch their weight but I'm naturally really fit. I don't exercise as much as I should/would like to though. Until recently, I used to eat like no other. Since i never gained weight, I would eat to my heart's desire. But in another attempt to better my skin, I'm trying this new holistic diet where I only eat like twice a day. Maybe the years of binge eating and lack of exercise triggered what I have today, i'm not sure.

Question for you, I'm glad to hear that you can relate and even more excited to hear that you no longer have it. I feel like there's hope. What was your cure? Have you ever been on accutane?

hey man, i have almost the EXACT thing as you have, cept my skin is dry as a bone and urs is quite oily. I too have tried alot of junk that just doesnt seem to work at all. the past 2 days i have been tryin acv as a toner ( cant drink it haha its nastay!!)and i "want" to believe its going to work but i just have this feeling that it will do absolutly nothing. And im totally with you for the accutane stuff. i dont want to take it cuz of the side effects but i know i will have to in order for this to be gone. But hey good luck with whatever you do and i'll prolly holler if i go on accutane.. im doin to the doc tomorow cuz i cant get to a derm for 5 months so who knows wtf is gunna happen.

Hi Disco,

I know what you're going through, it's really hard.

Stay strong and try accutane if you have exhausted every other option.

I know it's really difficult.. there are times when you can't look in the mirror without crying or without an overwhelming desire to smash it.

I was there, for over 9 years.. now I'm on accutane and seeing some improvement.

Please don't give up.

Your solution is out there.

Hey guys, I know, acne f****** blows...seriously....I'm just trying to be so freaking optimistic about the ACV regimine, I heard it can take a month for you to really see the results...i don't blame you for not wanting to go on accutane, I went on vitamins with 250-500% of my vitamin A intake but sadly it doesn't help me acne....lets keep eachother posted on how the ACV is treating us....good luck to us all

sounds good. as i said, i drink 2-3 tbsp daily and have been applying it topically for maybe 2 weeks. I tried it diluted today so we'll see if it makes a difference but I would think the more acidity, the better results and nothing spectacular so far.

sounds good. as i said, i drink 2-3 tbsp daily and have been applying it topically for maybe 2 weeks. I tried it diluted today so we'll see if it makes a difference but I would think the more acidity, the better results and nothing spectacular so far.

Hey disco,

I tried ACV but it did not work for me.

Your skin looks oily so you need to tackle that.

How i did it was that I cut out all dairy products - helped

Then I used loads of "Neutrogena on the spot" day and night and my skin is starting to clear up (slowly but surely). I use Retin-A on the bigger cysts - it shortens the life of a cyst big time.

I went to the derm and he suggested Accutane and I ran scared! (kidding)

But this is working for me so far.

If your skin gets dry, use a moisturiser with glycolic acid in it.

hey thank you.

ya i tried the generic neutrogena advanced solutions awhile back

but the night lotion made my face sooo dry. the day lotion is nice though because it includes spf15.

ya im actually surprised that so many people commented on my skin being oily.

I guess I never realized how much of a problem that was.

like i never thought it was that oily. but you guys cant all be wrong I guess :D

seriously thanks cinderella

and to all you guys! you're really helpin me through this

Question for you, I'm glad to hear that you can relate and even more excited to hear that you no longer have it. I feel like there's hope. What was your cure? Have you ever been on accutane?

Hello Disco,

From what I see you have moderately severe acne. I have severe acne also. I have been dealing with it all of life, and like you, have tried everything under the sun. I have followed advice and started drinking water, increasing fruits and vegetables, exercising, taking supplements, you name it. This is not a cure for someone with severe cystic acne. I would advise you to see a dermatologist. First, you need to make sure it is actually acne and not some allergic reaction that you are not aware of. Once you confirm it is acne, I would advise you to ask the dermatologist about accutane. I am on accutane and for the first time in my life, I am starting to give people eye contact. I have what seems to be the oiliest skin on the planet. Since I started taking accutane(I am on my third month), my skin has actually dried up. I did not even think this was possible. Yes it was worse after the first two weeks(every one is different), but it has since started clearing up and is continuing to do so. I honestly doubt if anything else will work as good as accutane. I have searched high and low and have spent thousands of dollars looking for a product that can even curb the problem. The most common side effect is dry lips and dry skin, but with a good moisturizer you can combat this problem. Also, you should make sure you always wear sunblock because it makes your skin sensitive to the sun. And, every month you have to take a liver and cholesterol test because this drug can potentially damage your liver and raise your cholesterol. Why care about constantly having to take those tests if your skin is clearing up? I strongly advise you to look into this ASAP. You could be on your way to being happier.

Look no further, disco. Accutane WILL clear that up!!! At this point, just ignore the listed "side effects." Most people just experience chapped lips, dry skin, and some body aches...Those aren't very serious! I'd much rather have those side effects than acne personally.... GOOD LUCK!

Look no further, disco. Accutane WILL clear that up!!! At this point, just ignore the listed "side effects." Most people just experience chapped lips, dry skin, and some body aches...Those aren't very serious! I'd much rather have those side effects than acne personally.... GOOD LUCK!

accutane is very helpful to some people, but don't you think he should at least try some prescription topicals before going on this pretty serious drug? I'm sure accutane is a good choice for the majority of the people that take it, but there are side effects a lot more serious than dry lips and skin that a nontrivial number of people get (my good friend took accutane 6 or 7 years ago and still has bad back and joint pain...). Also, accutane is often not a permanent cure. Most people get at least one year of clear-ness, but after that what are the stats? How many people go on second and third courses? Sometimes there are underlying causes of acne that accutane does not address, it can be a bandaid. I had acne as serious as Disco's and have cleared it without accutane....believe me, in spite of any side effects, if i had tried everything else and it didn't work, I would have tried accutane too. I'm just saying, try out the other options first...

i hear what youre both saying.

as excited as i am about the results i've seen from people who took accutane,

it has been a last resort for me.

i go to the derm after christmas so we'll see what they suggest.

i'll keep you guys posted.

i tried the aspirin mask last night. i was stoked cuz i found some vitamin E oil in our cabinet

but im wondering if this would harm my skin? should i be using vitamin E moisturizer instead of oil?

and, i mixed it with 2 excedrin which contains both aspirin and caffeine. the caffeine is only a small portion of the pill but i have heard that its bad for skin? the mask helped a little i feel, my skin is softer today but it dried out really quick. Has anyone used this? what're you experiences? and how long should it be left on?