Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaara

No Soy = No Acne!!!! :D

Ok so maybe not NO acne... but barely any!! :D

I stopped eating all soy products, it's been about 2 months now. I was drinking soymilk everyday, and eating tofu a few times a week. I miss them alot, but my skin has totally cleared up!!!! I only get about one or two pimples a week now. I used to have atleast 3 or 4 new ones a day.

So, for anyone that eats or drinks lots of soy products, I would totally reccommend giving this a shot. This is the only thing I have changed!! So I'm really convinced that the soy was causing my acne.

Soy based additives are in a lot of foods, do u avoid those too, or just products that are obviously made from soy?

Good to hear you found something that works for you.

Yup, soy triggers acne in me too. Both soy and dairy do. It's not hard to see why since they're both laden with hormones. Oh, and flax is just as bad, if not worse than soy - for me at least. And, just like with soy, it's probably because of the phytoestrogen content.

I've been avoiding anything and everything that uses dairy and soy as an additive and i'm clearing up everyday.

AltaPGT ---> Just stuff that is obviously made of soy for now: Soy milk, tofu... I'm not being too picky at the moment. Still in the trial stage to figure out if the soy was my problem or not :think: But I'm pretty sure it is now, so I'll probably attempt to cut it out all together. See if that clears it up completely.

jksl ---> Flax? Wow never even thought of that. Thanks for the warning, I'll lay off that too! :D

lenpopz ---> About 2 months ago! Before that I was eating them everyday... so it was a big change for me.

yeah soy doesn't cause acne for me...I think it is a common allergen, which I would think would be the more likely reason that it would cause acne than it's plant hormones. Soy is really nothing like dairy in that respect, dairy stimulates androgen production (I really notice this because when I'm eating dairy I'm much more oily than when I'm not), soy contains plant estrogens....there is a debate about what effect precisely these plant estrogens will have on human estrogens, but as far as I know, soy will not cause excess androgen production. I also have found this in my personal experience since soy does not cause oil production for me and I consume quite a bit of it....

Similarly with flax, it has phytoestrogens which should not cause excess androgens. I'm not saying that anyone should be megadosing on soy or flax, but I don't think it's necessary to cut out foods containing phytoestrogens, in fact most plants contain some type of phytohormone, do you want to cut out all vegetables?

The main reason to cut out soy, as it relates to acne, is because you are allergic. Which perhaps, original poster, you are. If you do notice that soy causes excess oil production, then I'd like to hear about it, but I really don't believe that to be the case...

rice milk tastes better and is better for you than soy milk. you should give it a try!

You might be right bran88. Both soy and dairy are common allergens. For all i know, it could be a double whammy for me (i get an allergic reaction + get affected by the hormones). I'm not really sure. What i'm sure of, though, is that they are acne triggers for me.

I know most (probably all) plants contain some phytohormones, but both flax and soy are insanely dense with phytoestrogens compared to other sources.

http://www.dietaryfiberfood.com/phytoestrogen.php

I have broccoli and garlic everyday, so i should definitely cut out soy and flax regardless of whether or not i'm allergic to them.

Shaara, I wouldn't worry too much about flax, if it is the case that your issue with soy is allergy.

You might be right bran88. Both soy and dairy are common allergens. For all i know, it could be a double whammy for me (i get an allergic reaction + get affected by the hormones). I'm not really sure. What i'm sure of, though, is that they are acne triggers for me.

I know most (probably all) plants contain some phytohormones, but both flax and soy are insanely dense with phytoestrogens compared to other sources.

http://www.dietaryfiberfood.com/phytoestrogen.php

I have broccoli and garlic everyday, so i should definitely cut out soy and flax regardless of whether or not i'm allergic to them.

Shaara, I wouldn't worry too much about flax, if it is the case that your issue with soy is allergy.

yes that's true that soy and flax have a high concentration of phytoestrogens...I think this might cause more of a (hormonal imbalance) problem for men or women past menopause (eg those that don't have a lot of natural estrogens)...I don't think it should be too much of a problem for most young adult women, as long as these foods are eaten in moderation

ps I looooove garlic

rice milk tastes better and is better for you than soy milk. you should give it a try!

QFT :dance:, my favourite brand at the moment is one called Rice Dream, really nice stuff.

In regards to soy, it is a fairly common allergen, so cutting it out may indeed have meant better overall health. But More over, soy contains a whole range of other things that make it in my opinion terrible for consumption and completely detrimental to health. What you have got to take note of, is that soy when it's consumed in Asia (it's birth place if you will) is more often than not fermented, but even more than that it's used as a condiment more than anything else. In its unfermented form, it contains pytonutrients amongst other things that can actually bind on to minerals within you system; subsequently this can lead to malnutrition - particularly if soy makes up a large portion of your diet. Hence why you get your typical malnurished vegetarian, who takes it on themselves to buy and consume every soy based substitute food product, in an attempt to make themselves feel like they're not missing out on dietary norms.

Even worse is yet to come however, it also contains glutamate, which although naturally occuring in alot of vegetables and fruits, is basically 'unlocked' and made more freely available in processed unfermented soy. It's actually worse for you than MSG in this regard.

What ground are you stating this on? Soy actually has a better and more balanced macronutrient content. Rice milk is pretty much pure simple carbs.

I've switched to soy from dairy and I've cleared up. I don't buy that soy causes acne. Maybe it's because I mostly use soy isolated protein instead of just soy. What are your guys's thoughts on this?

What ground are you stating this on? Soy actually has a better and more balanced macronutrient content. Rice milk is pretty much pure simple carbs.

I've switched to soy from dairy and I've cleared up. I don't buy that soy causes acne. Maybe it's because I mostly use soy isolated protein instead of just soy. What are your guys's thoughts on this?

Carbs are really not bad for you as long as they are consumed in moderation, and are not refined. Rice milk is made from brown rice, and can be found sugar-free. Just like most soy milk, you have to be careful about the sugar content. It's not just rice milk.

There have been studies that suggest soy can deplete the body of essential nutrients. It also contains estrogens that can fuck with your thyroid.

That's what I'm basing that statement on.

On my excel table, i have quite some people that claim their acne got worse due to soy/acne got better when stopping eating soy.

Maybe it's a common allergen for many people of european descendents.

Ok so maybe not NO acne... but barely any!! :D

I stopped eating all soy products, it's been about 2 months now. I was drinking soymilk everyday, and eating tofu a few times a week. I miss them alot, but my skin has totally cleared up!!!! I only get about one or two pimples a week now. I used to have atleast 3 or 4 new ones a day.

So, for anyone that eats or drinks lots of soy products, I would totally reccommend giving this a shot. This is the only thing I have changed!! So I'm really convinced that the soy was causing my acne.

i doubt you miss tofu and soy milk that much!!

QFT :dance:, my favourite brand at the moment is one called Rice Dream, really nice stuff.

In regards to soy, it is a fairly common allergen, so cutting it out may indeed have meant better overall health. But More over, soy contains a whole range of other things that make it in my opinion terrible for consumption and completely detrimental to health. What you have got to take note of, is that soy when it's consumed in Asia (it's birth place if you will) is more often than not fermented, but even more than that it's used as a condiment more than anything else. In its unfermented form, it contains pytonutrients amongst other things that can actually bind on to minerals within you system; subsequently this can lead to malnutrition - particularly if soy makes up a large portion of your diet. Hence why you get your typical malnurished vegetarian, who takes it on themselves to buy and consume every soy based substitute food product, in an attempt to make themselves feel like they're not missing out on dietary norms.

Even worse is yet to come however, it also contains glutamate, which although naturally occuring in alot of vegetables and fruits, is basically 'unlocked' and made more freely available in processed unfermented soy. It's actually worse for you than MSG in this regard.

ok....but drinking lots of water also depletes the body of minerals (through excess urination). It can also be bad for digestion if you drink water with a meal since it dilutes digestive juices, I wouldn't suggest that you stop drinking water! everything in moderation guys...if you don't have an allergy to soy I really wouldn't worry...Of course I'm a proponent of trial and error, if you notice not eating soy clears you up then more power to you...I don't think that we should in general be concerned about consuming some soy in our diets, though. I am at least one example of someone that is clear while consuming the equivalent of one to two cups of soy milk per day...Also I think that vegetarians generally become malnourished because they are lacking protein not because of soy consumption, but I could be wrong...

Wow thanks for all the info guys. Maybe I do have a soy allergy. Which would suck! I love it so much >.<;; I guess I'll see if I can get a test to check that out and make sure. Yah I used to drink rice milk in Canada, but I can't find it here in Japan. I'm pretty sure they don't have it here, my boyfriend seemed to think it was crazy idea, lol. I'm going back to Canada next month and I'll be trying that again though :)

AutonomousOne --> Yah I know it sounds weird! lol But I really do miss it >< Tofu is one of my favourite foods ^^;

Wow thanks for all the info guys. Maybe I do have a soy allergy. Which would suck! I love it so much >.<;; I guess I'll see if I can get a test to check that out and make sure. Yah I used to drink rice milk in Canada, but I can't find it here in Japan. I'm pretty sure they don't have it here, my boyfriend seemed to think it was crazy idea, lol. I'm going back to Canada next month and I'll be trying that again though :)

AutonomousOne --> Yah I know it sounds weird! lol But I really do miss it >< Tofu is one of my favourite foods ^^;

Hey Shaara,

you might have an allergy...it might also be a fluke. I'm definitely too quick to make associations between something I've been doing and the state of my skin sometimes, sometimes the skin just gets better and other times it gets worse. You should probably stay off soy for a couple of months and observe your skin over that time. Then, you can try adding it back and see if it really gets worse...now they'll have to make a soy substitute :) (p.s. there are also almond and hemp milks..i'm really not a fan of the hemp but almond is pretty tasty, if almonds don't bother you)

edit: I see you've already been off soy for a couple of months...if you dare, you could add it back in for 2 or 3 weeks and see what happens. If the acne comes back then you'll really know for sure. Just try not to expect the acne to come back because then you'll get a placebo effect!

Soy triggers my acne too. I didn't realize that it was a trigger until I had a full panel allergy test done back in april. So now I have to be a major label reader as a lot of things have soy or soy by-products in them. I never realized that soy was in so much. I also used to be addicted to soy protein drinks and had to cut them out. I know it sucks, but it's just the things we have to do.

Ive read lots of people with soy allergies etc, can consume properly prepared fermented soy products like miso or traditional soy sauce. I think the problem for acne sufferers and those with allergies is the enzyme inhibitors and phytates(sp?) which make it very very difficult to digest. But hey, thats just my 2 cents. I never noticed a connection with soy but then again I pretty much never eat anything that has soy.

both laden with hormones. Oh, and flax is just as bad, if not worse than soy - for me at least. And, just like with soy, it's probably because of the phytoestrogen content.

I've been avoiding anything and everything that uses dairy and soy as an additive and i'm clearing up everyday.

Flax? I just bought some acne medication from skintactix.com and they told me a volume of whiteheads is almost always linked to a linoleic acid deficiency and To take flax seed oil supplements to clear my skin?

Flax? I just bought some acne medication from skintactix.com and they told me a volume of whiteheads is almost always linked to a linoleic acid deficiency and To take flax seed oil supplements to clear my skin?

From what i've read, the extracted oil from flaxseed has no phytoestrogens (someone correct me if i'm wrong). If you're gonna get flaxseed oil, buy the ones that come in a black bottle that you can find at a supermarket cooler. Flaxseed oil can turn rancid rather easily when exposed to heat and light. I'd avoid the flaxseed oil that come in capsules - you can't even tell if they've turned rancid because you can't smell past the capsule and they're usually not kept cold. Same goes with regular flaxseed - keep them in a refrigerator.

You can try salba or chia seeds. They've got Linoleic Acid and they don't turn rancid like flax. Not sure about the phytoestrogen content, but i'm sure there is some. If phytoestrogens don't do you any harm (heck, they might even help depending on your hormonal status), you can give 'em a try.

I am an idiot! I was drinking soy latte because I am allergic to milk. SO I've been breaking out so badly and wondering what was wrong. I usually break out but that badly only when I eat ice cream or something. And yesterday I realized it was that darn soy milk because I wasn't eating any dairy products or anything, just soy milk.((((

I am an idiot! I was drinking soy latte because I am allergic to milk. SO I've been breaking out so badly and wondering what was wrong. I usually break out but that badly only when I eat ice cream or something. And yesterday I realized it was that darn soy milk because I wasn't eating any dairy products or anything, just soy milk.((((