Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
quark

Saw Palmetto is my cure!

This is my first (and last) post in this forum, as I'm too lazy to post but feel that I finally have to because my acne is CURED. I have lurked on this forum for a couple years as I tried this remedy and that, but none of them worked for me. I'm 34 and have struggled with acne ever since reaching puberty. I'm female and have always had extremely oil skin and nasty acne that has moved around my face over the years: it started on my forehead, then cheeks, now chin, and I've always had huge blackheads on my nose and excessive hair on my face. My bloodwork has shown normal levels of hormones (more on that later). I tried oral contraceptives, and the only one that kind of helped was Yasmin, which has a male-hormone suppressing effect. But I had a pulmonary embolism last year and could not take oral contraceptives ever again in my life--so my acne returned full force. I tried spironolactone, which is supposed to help with hormonal acne, but it messed up my periods.

Then recently I was reading on different websites about how how some women can have completely normal levels of hormones, but they have an overactive enzyme that converts their testosterone into a more potent form of testosterone called DHT. DHT is the root cause of acne in many women. The natural herb Saw Palmetto, which is normally used as a treatment for men's prostate health, has been found to suppress this conversion of normal testosterone to DHT in women. So a few days ago I decided to try saw palmetto: one 160-mg softgel twice a day (make sure you get the "standardized' kind). O. M. G. Almost overnight my face stopped excessive oil production and my acne dried up. I just have a couple of spots that are in the healing process because they were active at the time I started the medication. My skin is starting to feel peachy and beautiful, and my eyebrows and scalp no longer itch from dandruff. I'm going to keep monitoring things to make sure this is really working, but from what I can tell so far, this is a miracle. Please, please do yourself a favor and look into saw palmetto. It's pretty sad that I found this cure on my own, after all the years and money I wasted on idiotic brain-dead loser dermatologists who know nothing about anything.

This is my first (and last) post in this forum, as I'm too lazy to post but feel that I finally have to because my acne is CURED. I have lurked on this forum for a couple years as I tried this remedy and that, but none of them worked for me. I'm 34 and have struggled with acne ever since reaching puberty. I'm female and have always had extremely oil skin and nasty acne that has moved around my face over the years: it started on my forehead, then cheeks, now chin, and I've always had huge blackheads on my nose and excessive hair on my face. My bloodwork has shown normal levels of hormones (more on that later). I tried oral contraceptives, and the only one that kind of helped was Yasmin, which has a male-hormone suppressing effect. But I had a pulmonary embolism last year and could not take oral contraceptives ever again in my life--so my acne returned full force. I tried spironolactone, which is supposed to help with hormonal acne, but it messed up my periods.

Then recently I was reading on different websites about how how some women can have completely normal levels of hormones, but they have an overactive enzyme that converts their testosterone into a more potent form of testosterone called DHT. DHT is the root cause of acne in many women. The natural herb Saw Palmetto, which is normally used as a treatment for men's prostate health, has been found to suppress this conversion of normal testosterone to DHT in women. So a few days ago I decided to try saw palmetto: one 160-mg softgel twice a day (make sure you get the "standardized' kind). O. M. G. Almost overnight my face stopped excessive oil production and my acne dried up. I just have a couple of spots that are in the healing process because they were active at the time I started the medication. My skin is starting to feel peachy and beautiful, and my eyebrows and scalp no longer itch from dandruff. I'm going to keep monitoring things to make sure this is really working, but from what I can tell so far, this is a miracle. Please, please do yourself a favor and look into saw palmetto. It's pretty sad that I found this cure on my own, after all the years and money I wasted on idiotic brain-dead loser dermatologists who know nothing about anything.

I've been taking evening primrose oil for my hormonal acne. Usually I break out the week before and the week of my period, and then the week after is my face "clean up" week. I've only been using it for about a month, but I gotta say, I'm pleased with the results. I'm on the second day of my new pill pack, and my face is almost entirely clear (I've got one active pimple on my jawline, which probably would be gone right now if I would have left it alone :doubt: Other than that, just some quickly fading red marks). That means that I only broke out very minimally the week before my period, hardly at all the week during, and now my skin is looking pretty good! You should definitely look into it if your main problem is hormonal acne.

I'll definitely be looking into the saw palmetto too!

Hi Everyone,

So, i started using Saw Palmetto a little over a month ago- 320 mg day and Pregnenolone, 100mg day after reading a different post praising its benefits. If anyone out there suffers from predictable hormonal acne breakouts it is definetely worth a try. So far it has worked wonderfully for me. I am 30 year old female. For years i would breaks out cysts on my face, alway 3-5 days before me period. My dermatologist finally put me on YAZ, which worked great, but i had major side effects, i like lost my sex drive completely. So, i started searching for a natural way to balance my hormones, and I think this is it. I hate to get my hopes up since i've only been taking it for about a month now, but I got through with no new acne this month, so I am very optimistic.

P.S I take the Pregnennelone in the morning, as it enhances energy levels, and the saw palmetto before bed. And my sex drive isn't suffering anymore like it did with YAZ. I do sometimes skip a day of the pregnenolone as it leaves me feeling a little too restless. But overall, i find it enhances my sense of well being. Just use with caution, and listen to your body. I bought these supplements from lef.com as the girl did who posted on this subject in the cystic acne forum. i would read her post, Search: "Pregnenolone and Saw Palmetto"

I have tried the following: Saw Palmetto berry, Dong Quai, Nutrilite Evening Primrose Plus supplement (Dong Quai, Eve Primrose oil, Barage Oil, Beta Kerotene), Pueraria Mirifica, and Maca Root for acne, hair loss, hormonal ballance, etc.

Saw Palmetto helped with acne and hair loss. Dong Quai regulated my period and reduced acne some. Nutrilite Supplement got rid of acne in 1 week. Pueraria Mirifica got rid of acne so far (still taking this one) and hair loss. Maca is an absolute miracle! I also took Barage Oil separately and it makes your skin beautiful!

Externally I use:

Scrub (PM): Neutrogena acne stress control scrub

Soap (AM): Neutrogena facial bar

Masque (PM): Artistry Pore Defining Masque

Toner: ACV (AM/PM) and Witchhazel (AM & PM)

Diet: No sugar, caffiene, low carbs

MY SKIN IS GORGEOUS!!!

History: Hair loss, migraines, irregular periods, cystic scaring acne, chronic fatigue, symptoms of fibromyalgia.

I no longer have hair loss, migraines, fatigue, pain, or acne!!! I suppose I am cured!

I recommend Maca Root to everyone!

Funnily enough a 'Natural healing' book I was reading in my local store said simply follow a Paleo Diet, take zinc and Saw Palmetto. I did buy Saw Palmetto and the lady said I could break the capsules open and drink it as a tea, which I've been doing periodically. I may start taking them more often in pill form.

Caution, people. It helps some people while making other people worse. Maybe a lot worse.

Since it is very difficult to know what is actually going on with your hormones, it's your best bet to help your body balance itself by not following diet, sleep, and other lifestyle habits that screw up your hormones, liver function, stress, etc. That said, I don't think there is anything wrong with supplement/consuming normal non-megadose levels of nutrients that help hormones and inhibit DHT such as Zinc and lycopene.

BTW, Saw palmetto helps because it's a source of beta sitosterol which is in all plant oils. There's a ton in an avocado, pumpkin seeds, other nuts and seeds. Any plant food high in fat.

More info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html

I have tried the following: Saw Palmetto berry, Dong Quai, Nutrilite Evening Primrose Plus supplement (Dong Quai, Eve Primrose oil, Barage Oil, Beta Kerotene), Pueraria Mirifica, and Maca Root for acne, hair loss, hormonal ballance, etc.

Saw Palmetto helped with acne and hair loss. Dong Quai regulated my period and reduced acne some. Nutrilite Supplement got rid of acne in 1 week. Pueraria Mirifica got rid of acne so far (still taking this one) and hair loss. Maca is an absolute miracle! I also took Barage Oil separately and it makes your skin beautiful!

Externally I use:

Scrub (PM): Neutrogena acne stress control scrub

Soap (AM): Neutrogena facial bar

Masque (PM): Artistry Pore Defining Masque

Toner: ACV (AM/PM) and Witchhazel (AM & PM)

Diet: No sugar, caffiene, low carbs

MY SKIN IS GORGEOUS!!!

History: Hair loss, migraines, irregular periods, cystic scaring acne, chronic fatigue, symptoms of fibromyalgia.

I no longer have hair loss, migraines, fatigue, pain, or acne!!! I suppose I am cured!

I recommend Maca Root to everyone!

Thank you for your post Queen! I am lurking around these parts searching for the cure to my hormonal acne & migraines. After a hormone panel a month ago my Dr. advised that my testosterone is very high & my progesterone very low for a 36 year old Female (no surprise). She put me on 100mg of Spironolactone & 260mg of Saw Palmetto daily for the acne/skin/hair issues. Fast forward 3 weeks later and my skin & hair are amazing... it makes me want to cry! I look healthy & normal! BUT... I am having crazy heart racing issues now. For the past 3 days my heart beats like crazy & I get anxious & itchy. I am devestated :-( I thought I was cured but alas... it seems that some people (ME) have a reaction to the Spiro & I'm one of the unlucky ones. I'm getting off the Spiro & I'm researching here in the hopes that the Saw Palmetto may have more to do with my new look than the Spriro did & would like to inquire how much you take daily. And also... more about this Maca Root please!!

Thanks so much!!!

If your heart is racing, you could be deficient in magnesium. My dad and my sister have both been hospitalized a couple times with heart problems that the doctor could not fix. I read about magnesium and heart problems, suggested it to them, and both their symptoms have completely disappeared since going on magnesium. My sister has relapses if she does not take her magnesium. Magnesium is involved with hormones, as well as many other things, so if you are taking a supplement that is changing your hormone levels (for the better), but your body doesn't have the ingredients it needs to make those changes, your body may pull magnesium from areas where you need it, such as your heart.

So does this just work for women? Any men have success with this?

If you're a guy, don't take saw palmetto. You won't be able to get it up, which is obviously not natural or beneficial.

I a male and have been taking a beta sitosterol complex. 975mg phystosterols per tab. 375 mgs beta sitosterol.

Its supposed to be hundreds of times stronger then saw palmetto. Ive been taking it for about a week. Have broken out a bit more, no reduction in oil or any other side effects.

Im keeping a good eye on my shlong though. Most threads I read guys found out it was messing with thier junk a few weeks in and they didn't notice because they werent active. Killed thier sex drive and gave some other strange side effects.

Im taking my chances, as long as it doesnt fall off i think i can manage.

This works for both males and females, and I would also recommend Nettle Root Extract and Red Clover.

Edited by bobbi364