Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tarabear

Tarabears Regimen Log

Tonight, I did not use BP. I just washed and moisturized. I am over the red face and the flakes. I'm hoping to get my face back to normal color and PH by not using BP tonight or tomorrow. How long do you think it will take? I'm probably going to break out like crazy.

That's risky...you've been on the regime for so long, and you said it yourself that it worked! I feel like you've gotten this far already, why stop? I guess it's bc I'm dying to be where you are at right now. I'm finishing up my 8th week...so it's about 54 days....Good luck! I posted before about the www.alphahydrox.com...have you thought about that?

I see they have a lot of different products? What do you use? I would like a cleanser that actually removes dead skin & a moisturizer that keeps them away. This is my concern with Dan's Regimen.

i agree w/ ilovenyc. why not just try less bp and see if it cuts down on the redness and flaking, before ditching it altogether? use half your normal amount tomorrow morning.

I have tried 1/2 pumps, 3/4 pump and I'm still red and flakey, plus it doesn't work as well. I saw a picture of myself the other day and my cheeks were a different color than my forehead and neck. It looked horrible & embarrasing.

I may let my face go for a day or so to get it back to normal color and without dead skin hanging off of it. I may keep up with Dan's, but I may just start acnefree. I had great results for 2+ years with proactive (unlike a lot of people) and acnefree is supposed to be better than that.

I haven't not used something on my face for 5-7 years. Who knows, maybe my acne isn't that bad anymore? Maybe it was all the products making it go crazy? I really did have great looking skin with proactive... maybe I should go back to that? I have 3 1/2 months to figure this out. I have a wedding to look decent for!

day 74

Alright, here are pictures after not using BP last night. I just cleansed and moisturized. This morning in the shower, I used the baby brush to gently massage away the dead flakes. I'm going to use 1/2-3/4 pump of BP today just in case that dreaded break out is a coming.

I ordered the Alpha Hydrox Foaming Cleanser to see if that helps with washing the flakes away. I am going to continue with Dan's Regimen because it is working at sort of keeping acne away. I have had acne everyday since I started using it. So is that a success story... I'm not sure.

Anyways, here are the pictures. I think Dan's cleanser is drying.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo203.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo204.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo205.jpg

your skin still looks good this morning! but if you are going to break out that will be in a day or so, right?

how come you stopped proactiv if it was working? acnefree does also look good.

your skin still looks good this morning! but if you are going to break out that will be in a day or so, right?

how come you stopped proactiv if it was working? acnefree does also look good.

Long story short...

Proactive was working, then I tried birth control for the first time in my life and it took over! My face was getting huge cystic acne and like really painful spots. I thought it was proactive not working anymore, but it was the birth control! I completely stopped the birth control and my face is getting better. Instead of using Proactive again, I tried acne.org because it seemed like a gentler alternative, plus, a lot of people had good reviews of it. So, proactive was working... probably still would be, but now I'm nervous to go back to it and/or stop the acne.org reg. I have a new pack of acnefree in under my sink. I'm nervous to start that too! This is frustrating.

I'm trying BP once a day to see if it keeps me clear and calms my skin down...

I hate to hear that you're having redness issues! Other than that, from what I can tell, your skin is looking really good.

Proactive worked for my skin too, but my problem was cost. I couldn't afford those 3 little bottles all the time, PLUS moisturizer. And while the cleanser exfoliated really well, it didn't cleanse very well. I would still get makeup on the cotton ball when I used the toner, which isn't good.

If you find that you can use Dan's BP at a smaller amount once a day without breaking out and getting red, do it. Then introduce a really gentle scrub to combat flakes if you can. I've seen people here talking about using that apricot scrub twice a week with their cleanser and it works great, as long as you don't push too hard.

About the wedding, man, I am so excited and hopeful for you! I've been through a lot of family weddings in the last few years (6?) and I can tell you that even though I KNOW some of the brides had acne, I sure as hell can't remember a single pimple. They were too beautiful to notice, and I'm sure you will be too. Who knows, maybe excitement and happiness is the best anti-acne system out there!

I hate to hear that you're having redness issues! Other than that, from what I can tell, your skin is looking really good.

Proactive worked for my skin too, but my problem was cost. I couldn't afford those 3 little bottles all the time, PLUS moisturizer. And while the cleanser exfoliated really well, it didn't cleanse very well. I would still get makeup on the cotton ball when I used the toner, which isn't good.

If you find that you can use Dan's BP at a smaller amount once a day without breaking out and getting red, do it. Then introduce a really gentle scrub to combat flakes if you can. I've seen people here talking about using that apricot scrub twice a week with their cleanser and it works great, as long as you don't push too hard.

About the wedding, man, I am so excited and hopeful for you! I've been through a lot of family weddings in the last few years (6?) and I can tell you that even though I KNOW some of the brides had acne, I sure as hell can't remember a single pimple. They were too beautiful to notice, and I'm sure you will be too. Who knows, maybe excitement and happiness is the best anti-acne system out there!

I'm really hoping that once a day is enough to keep my acne at bay. I just want smoother skin because having it red with flakes all over it is almost as bad as the acne itself.

Okay, reading on the boards today, made me think.

I'm going to do the regimen twice a day, I'll just cut back. I'm nervous about not doing it twice a day.

Also, I need to figure out the hyperpigmentation on my left cheek. I think that it is super annoying!! What do you guys use to help with that. It's darker than the rest of my face.

I think it would be good for you to only use the b.p. once a day, because you have very mild acne. I agree though with cutting down the b.p. though. Maybe that will work for you?

I figured I'd respond here since you pm'd me, that way everyone else could see my reply too.

I too have been on the Regimen for a while, November 6th was my first day. Initially it made my face worse, and I mean way worse. Eventually it started getting better, but redness and dryness were taking over. Around the end of December the redness started to fade, and so did the dryness. However, I realized that my skin was so ridiculously sensitive. If I itched my nose it would stay red for a few minutes. I still plugged along with the Regimen and was getting 1-2 new pimples a week, if even that. They weren't the big pustules either, just small clogged pores. I don't have any active acne on my face now (if you don't count the clogged pore on my nose). However, I've decided that BP has seriously prolonged my red marks. I'm planning on getting off of BP so that I can return my skin to normal, as the tone of it now is terrible. Today is the fourth day of only applying 3/4 a pump of BP at night only. So far I haven't even seen one new pimple. After a week or so of no new pimples I'm going to cut to 2-3 times a week, and then eventually be done with BP.

Note - I can't guarantee that it's worked yet, however if it does it will not be the BP that has magically healed my acne. A light went off in my head the other day, when I was looking at my back/chest acne. I realized that the only time that I get any acne on my back/chest is in the winter, when my skin is terribly dry. So since then I've been applying only lotion to my back and it's clearing up. To be honest I think just moisturizing my face is what is doing the trick, as the dry skin is most likely causing my acne.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply Gfoed!

Day 75! Wow, time has flown!! I can't believe I've been on this regimen for this long already. 15 more days for the 3 month mark! I think my face has cleared a lot since being on the regimen. Still not where I want to be though. Still flaking like crazy and my face has a red tint.

I only use the AHA as a spot treatment now because it wasn't helping with the flakes. I'm using it on my cheeks to try and help hyperpigmentation from previous outbreaks before the regimen. My face could be flaking more than normal due to the extreme cold outside too! The high is 40 degrees and I'm going to Chicago next weekend...

I really wish I knew how to help the flakes & redness. I think that is my 1 problem with Dan's regimen.

I'm wondering though if my face just never calmed down from the derm topicals before switching to Dan's regimen and Dan's regimen just keeps it red because it's BP.

I did order Alpha Hydrox Foaming Facial Cleanser and hopefully that will be delivered soon. I hear it's a great cleanser and sometimes I feel like Dan's cleanser is much too drying.

Here are pictures of Day 75.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo206.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo207.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo208.jpg

Thanks for your reply Gfoed!

Day 75! Wow, time has flown!! I can't believe I've been on this regimen for this long already. 15 more days for the 3 month mark! I think my face has cleared a lot since being on the regimen. Still not where I want to be though. Still flaking like crazy and my face has a red tint.

I only use the AHA as a spot treatment now because it wasn't helping with the flakes. I'm using it on my cheeks to try and help hyperpigmentation from previous outbreaks before the regimen. My face could be flaking more than normal due to the extreme cold outside too! The high is 40 degrees and I'm going to Chicago next weekend...

I really wish I knew how to help the flakes & redness. I think that is my 1 problem with Dan's regimen.

I'm wondering though if my face just never calmed down from the derm topicals before switching to Dan's regimen and Dan's regimen just keeps it red because it's BP.

I did order Alpha Hydrox Foaming Facial Cleanser and hopefully that will be delivered soon. I hear it's a great cleanser and sometimes I feel like Dan's cleanser is much too drying.

Here are pictures of Day 75.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo206.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo207.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo208.jpg

Tara, I know I said this before, but your skin really does look MUCH, MUCH better. Amazing. I do see some flakiness, but as that is to be expected with Dan's Regimen. Anyway, I've been following your daily log and I'm truly impressed. I hope it works that good for me.

Keep on it and congrats again! :clap:

:)

I guess I just don't see the flakiness. Where is it?

I wake up with them and go to bed with them. I take my daily photos after I shower and wash my face.

day 76

Still woke up with flakes this morning even though I put on a ton of moisturizer and like 12 drops of jojoba oil. I also used 1/2 pump of BP! I just don't think there is a light at the end of the flaking tunnel...

Maybe I do need an exfoliating face wash to use daily? Any suggestions?

My face also has a pink tint. Using less BP still hasn't help that either. But I am about 98% pimple free. I had a little red spot on my left cheek and I did not touch it and used a little more BP on the spot and a thin layer of AHA on it the past couple days and it just looks like a clogged pore now.

Here are the pictures for day 76, and thank you for following my log!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo209.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo210.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo211.jpg

your face looks incredible. are the flakes bothering you during the day? because i can't see them in the pictures. i also wake up with some flaking, and it doesn't bother me too much as long as i'm not flaking when i'm out and about.

your face looks incredible. are the flakes bothering you during the day? because i can't see them in the pictures. i also wake up with some flaking, and it doesn't bother me too much as long as i'm not flaking when i'm out and about.

It starts re-flaking around 4-5ish everyday.

[Former Proactiv and AcneFree user here] :)

Wish I could help, because you look like you've experienced some pretty darn good results from the time you started up to now. I've browsed through this thread before and I guess it seems like flakiness and redness are your biggest problems, which are causing you to think about switching to different products? If I remember correctly, you started out the Regimen applying BP at night but not moisturizing afterwards. And a little later down the road you started using AHA+ to moisturize with and you did that on a daily basis, correct? Well, to tell you how it is, those two things are exactly the reasons why you're dealing with flakiness and redness to this day. You practically screwed yourself right from the get go.

I can't stress enough how important it is to moisturize every single time after using BP while on this Regimen. Some can begin to discontinue use of a moisturizer at night, but that's far along down the road after their skin has adjusted to the BP. And using AHA+ on a daily basis will make your skin progressively redder as time passes, especially if you use it following BP. Once I tried incorporating AHA+ as my nightly moisturizer, my face became red, people were even asking me in public why my face was red. And while it initially helped with any flakes I may have had, they came back with a vengeance soon after, as did excessively dry skin, forcing me to stop the Regimen.

Unfortunately, the only way you're gonna be able to fully recover from the redness and flakiness in my opinion is to simply discontinue use of BP for about a week or so, only cleansing and moisturizing thoroughly twice a day. Trust me, I've been through it all before. It'll basically be like starting over again, only this time you should realize what mistakes you made the first go around, making it easy to avoid the mistakes that got you into this situation in the first place. And I'd recommend staying off the AHA+ as a moisturizer for a while. Later on, if you want to use it that way, only do it periodically and not every single night. And if you notice that you're experiencing satisfying results using a certain dose of BP while staying away from flakiness and redness, don't push the limits and try to keep upping the dose. You'll just end up in the same position as you are in now.

Sorry if I may have sounded a bit harsh, because your skin does indeed look better than when you started. But I'm just telling you how it is, because I've been through it all before. This Regimen can be the best acne treatment out there if used correctly, but if not, the side effects are sure to get the best of you. Best of luck to whatever it is you decide to do. Hopefully this advice can be somewhat helpful and I hope you can obtain a satisfying complexion by the time your wedding rolls around!

:)

YOUR SKIN LOOKS SO AMAZING!!!! I'm still waiting for my red marks to go away. You look so good without makeup! I wish mine was like that. I'm at the end of my 8th week today.

I used the 10% AHA Enhanced Lotion for about a year. Now I use the 12% Souffle because my mom bought an extra one, and I found that it works great too! It took away my flakiness after a week of use. Remember, everything takes time to see results!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner about the Alpha Hydrox products...I use the Nourishing Cleanser and it's amazing. It brightened up my complexion and helped hydrate my skin. The Foaming face wash didn't really help me much so I stopped using that. =(

I'm trying to slowly just use the Alpha hydrox and Dan's BP only, that's why it sounds like I'm overly zealous about it lol.

Honestly, using the AHA and Olay lotion before I put on makeup, and doing a gently scrub in the morning completely erases the flakiness problem. I go from 7am to about 10pm without getting flakes or cracking of makeup! I can't wait for winter to pass, then I can just use one moisturizer!

You will look amazing for your wedding! I can't believe how much your skin has improved!!

Oh, by the way, I stopped BP last summer after I cleared up bc I thought my skin was doing great, and I could stop using it. Bad news...after 2 months I started breaking out again. This is my 2nd time restarting the regime, and I regret SO MUCH that I stopped. That's why I'm worried that you planned on stopping the BP.

Day 77!

Thank you all for your recommendations! I've cut back on the BP daily, about 1/2 pump morning and night and moisturizing with jojoba oil morning and night and only using the AHA as a spot treatment for the dark marks and red spots. I think my redness has actually gone down a bit. Also, I didn't wake up with as many flakes. I'm hoping cutting back will help, stopping scares me!

Also, when I was on proactive I only had to use a little of the repairing lotion and that seemed to work very well, so I'm hoping my acne is mild enough to only use a little bit.

Pictures of day 77.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo212.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo213.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo214.jpg

day 78

Feeling and looking pretty good today. Still have a red tint of course, but cutting back on BP is helping with the flakiness. I used some EMU oil on the upper part of my cheeks to see if it helps with the redness. I'll keep that posted because I'm only going to do that at night.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo215.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo216.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo217.jpg

day 78

Feeling and looking pretty good today. Still have a red tint of course, but cutting back on BP is helping with the flakiness. I used some EMU oil on the upper part of my cheeks to see if it helps with the redness. I'll keep that posted because I'm only going to do that at night.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo215.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo216.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo217.jpg

Good, I'm glad it's helping with the dryness. Your skin is looking very balanced and healthy. :)

Day 79.

Still going strong with the regimen. I used aloe vera on my upper cheeks last night to help with redness. I'm going to figure out this redness thing. It's strange though. I'm using just a little BP, maybe a little more than Proactive uses and I'm still flush and pink. Also, proactive uses a BP wash too! Hope it goes down soon...

I'm approaching the 3 month mark and I think I'm looking mighty good these days. More confident definitely. Still have that feeling though that one may pop up anytime or my face is starting to flake.

I'm also using the AHA as a spot treatment on my darker spots. Not much difference...

Pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo218.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo219.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo220.jpg