Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tarabear

Tarabears Regimen Log

Thanks for your lengthy comment. I am still using the proactiv I started about 3 months ago. It's working fairly well. It got me through my wedding and I didn't feel like I had acne everywhere.

When I was on DK's regimen I was having so much trouble with it... I was following the routine and doing everything I knew how, but my face was bloodshot red (which is documented in my trip I took in Feb to Chicago) horrible. I tried cutting back the BP and moisturizing only, but that didn't work because the acne would come back. My face was also peeling like crazy!! I would go to bed with flakes and wake up with flakes. I tried jojoba and AHA and that didn't work either and those were the only options Dan ever gives you combat dry flaky skin. I tried the baby brush method in the shower to get rid of them, but it never worked.

I want my face to feel like it did when I used proactiv about 2 years ago before I switched up everything.

My face is pretty clear right now... only have healing spots that I picked because I have a small problem with just trying to leave blemishes alone. I find that the small zits I do get (when I get them) go away faster if I pop them. I know you are supposed to, but it's the truth. If I pop them when they are ready they go away in 2-3 days. If I leave them alone and just spot treat with BP or Tea Tree Oil they last 1-2 weeks if not longer.

I've tried Doxy, Retin-A, Differin, Ziana, etc. It just irritated my skin, made it red, scaly, etc. I never used to have this dry scaly skin until I went to the derm and tried DK's regimen.

I just switched from using Proactiv's Green Tea Moisturizer to using Cerave's moisturizing lotion after my 3rd step of Proactiv because I was starting to peel a little on the Green Tea Moisturizer. After 2 days on the Cerave, it's already starting to moisturize so much better. It has no smell, it has a good consistency. I like it so far. I'm hoping once my face keeps moisture, the acne will also stop showing up as well. I think dry skin causes acne, right?

It's crazy how much we do to try and beat acne. There has to be an easier way...

Thanks for keeping up with this...

I've been reading your post (the whole log actually) tonight and I find myself at a loss for words :)

I was using ProActiv for a good 5 years and then it just suddenly stopped working. My sister was using ProActiv for even LONGER and the same thing happened to her. Just stopped working - breakout after breakout. We both tried using Acne-Free - DO NOT USE THAT. It's a cheaper version - trust me. It didn't work at all.

After Proactiv stopped working - I ended up switching to the full DKR stuff. Last July 2008 - I was using DK's wash and BP. I didn't use moisturizer - I found my skin was oily enough. I was totally clear on just DK stuff - UNTIL the end of this past March 2009. Something just stopped. I was still using everything that had been working with the DKR stuff - but I was just getting TONS or more acne - I was so confused. So I stopped using the DK wash (because I thought that maybe it was just too gentle and it wasn't getting my skin clean) and used a different wash (clean and clear continuous control with BP 10%.) Using the Clean and Clear wash and the DK BP cleared my face up, slowly - but I was confused as to why the DK wash would suddenly stop working with the DK Benzoyl Peroxide (BP.) I found out a couple of days ago that the DK wash had an ingredient change. They took out the "urea" ingredient - and that is the only thing I can think of that would have effected my skin. However - other people on the board think that it's insane that I Would think that something would cause my skin to break out like that - that fast.

Well - I decided last week - to try going back to the DK wash - to see if I could be all clear (like I was a year ago) on just DK products. After just 2 days of using the DK wash with the DK BP (the BP which I had been using the whole time with clean and clear) I got horrible HORRIBLE cystic acne. To the point where you'd have thought I bumped my head. The lumps were protruding out of my forehead and chin. That BAD.

I immediately stopped using the DK wash that night - since I am still convinced that the "minor" ingredient change has affected my skin. I was using the DK wash and BP for a year religiously almost 3 times a day - and was totally clear. Now - I am afraid to use the wash :(

I tried going back to Proactiv - just their wash this week - and started getting small cystic bumps on my jawline (something I used to get with Proactiv wayyyy back when I was using it) so I stopped. I didn't get cystic bumps with Clean and Clear so I figured that something wasn't right with this wash either.

I am at a crossroads as well - so I totally hear you on what to do - and really appreciate your log and your updates. I tried doing the Proactiv wash - but I really am scared to go back to that again, too.

What I'm going to try - is Cetaphil cleanser with the DK BP - since everyone on here thinks it's really good - and see if I can get back to like I was a year ago on the DK wash. I wish they wouldn't have adjusted the ingredients - I've learned to ALWAYS compare labels when you buy new bottles of products you've been using for awhile:(

I was going to recommend (if you still did the DK wash and bp) for the dry/flakiness - did you ever try just pure clear Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera gel? http://www.fote.com/prod_skin_gel.html#

They sell big bottles of it at Walmart etc.. and it's the only thing I can use on flakes that stops them after just one little application. It's like a clear gel - that just dries over the skin. Not greasy or anything. I used the Aloe Vera Gel the whole time while on Proactiv too (which make me really dry) and never broke out from it! Just a good product for flakes!!! Really helps during the day too - just dab some on and go! I've used Cetaphil lotion too - it worked too, but reacted with BP. Like the lotion fought with the BP and would turn white when it dried. The aloe doesn't do that :) It's like glue for flakes!

Keep up the awesome work! Good luck! Be careful with the Proactiv though!!!

hey girl i remember talking to you in the chat before. You married yet?! I have got 35 days to go myself. I am glad you skin is clearing!!!! much love !

hey girl i remember talking to you in the chat before. You married yet?! I have got 35 days to go myself. I am glad you skin is clearing!!!! much love !

Hey! Yeah, I remember you! I did get married on May 16th! Everything was beautiful and I had a terrific make up lady so you couldn't see much acne at all! Also, I really didn't have much on the day of my wedding. I've been using proactiv again and it seems to be working at managing the acne. The only acne I have right now is 2 healing spots from my stupid picking... I'm trying to stop, but it's hard!

How are you doing? What's your regimen these days?

Hi Everyone!

I has been a while since I posted on this log... mainly because I wasn't on DKR anymore. Well, in April 09 I started using Proactiv again... it worked sort of. I was never clear on it and my face was bloodshot red.

Soooooo... I'm back on DKR again starting Sept 1st.

I'm in my 4th week.

Products I'm using:

Alpha Hydrox Foaming Facial Cleanser

Proactiv's 2.5% BP (Dan's BP causes super duper red face on me)

Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion

Stinks starting over, but I'm hoping using different products will help.

1st week, 8 or 9 pimples...

2nd week, redness started to subside, still flaking

3rd week, almost clear! minimal redness, still flaking on jawline/lower cheeks

This week... 4 new pimples... face is a little tinted pink this week, still flaking on jawline/cheeks by 4pm and when I wake up. I may add a couple drops of jojoba oil, but I need to buy some first.

Also, it seems my face looks a bit more shiny than usual... does this subside?

Starting week 5...

Old marks from acne still very prominent. I am breaking out on my lower left cheek. 4 new pimples there. I popped them, so that's prob why more are coming in... a little frustrating of course. Chin looks good, right cheek is healing up, none on nose.

If only my left cheek would cooperate. I'm sure it's because its the side of my face I sleep on most often. I do change my pillowcase every 3-4 days though...

Any other thoughts? I'm still flaking on the lower sides of the cheeks as well...

Have you tried taking Omega 3 Fish Oil? I have used this supplement for my dandruff and boy did it work wonders literally after taking it for about 2 days my dandruff was close to being gone (And I would literally be able to make it snow with all the dandruff I had). Anyway im saying maybe it might work for you to deal with your flaky skin (if the problem does comeback.) Im currently on the regimen (started 2 days ago) and hopefully i will clear up. Just a theory on the Omega 3 not sure if it will work on flaky skin like it does with dandruff. But the supplement has so many health benefits for skin just do some research on it first. Good Luck on your 2nd run for the Regimen.

Edited by stratoquacker

Half way through week 5 and fingers crossed, things are looking good! I had 1 pimple last night but no others! The only thing I'm combating at this point is flaking. My face has a slight reddish tint that I hope goes away with time. I ordered some jojoba oil from vitacost.com because it was only $6.50 for Desert Essence's jojoba oil. Should be here soon. Hope that takes away the flaking on my lower jaws/cheeks.

Thanks for keeping up with me guys!

Spoke a little too soon, got another pimple on my left upper cheek. It hurts. I popped it properly according to this site, but it seems sore.

I did the regimen on it. Hopefully it will go down and away in a couple days...

I wonder if the regimen will continue to get better... I'm waiting on my jojoba oil to come in.

Starting week 6...

Things are looking good! I went to see U2 over the weekend and in the pictures noticed that I didn't have ANY active acne. I just have a lot of hyperpigmentation on my cheeks, dark spots and areas. Anyone figure out how to speed up that process?

When I get pimples they seem to go away faster than they used to. That's a plus! Also, my face isn't bloodshot red! I hope the next 2 weeks go smoothly.

I got my jojoba last night and tried it last night, mixing a few drops in with my moisturizer. Seems like it helped a little. It's probably like everything else, takes a few days to actually see a difference. I'll keep you guys posted on that as well. Maybe jojoba will help heal the dark spots?

Thanks for reading!

Hey Tara,

I just subscribed to acne.org so I am finally able to write on here, but I read your log a couple of weeks ago and found it so interesting. It was so awesome that you kept us updated almost everyday and I hope you continue. The pictures were also great, although there haven't been any recent ones :( I just wanted to let you know that I have tried SO MANY acne products, I mean EVERYTHING so I know how frustrating it can be!I do not have too much active acne at the moment (just a couple) so I am in the process of trying to restore my skin to a normal state. I feel that it has been damaged from of the products I have put on it over the years and from everything that it has been through. I have hyperpigmentation and my skin tone is just not that great. Well while doing some research on here yesterday, I saw a post about the Olay Regeneration line and someone's success story. That line in particular helps with cell regeneration which is exactly what I need at the moment. I need new skin so in order for that to happen, I want the regeneration process to speed up!! Well I went and bought the 3 things she mentioned in her post yesterday after work, and in one day I can already tell such a big difference. It is really amazing. So I just wanted to let you know about it and if you want more information let me know and I will post the products, etc.

Edited by GodisGood

GodisGood, thanks for reading! I appreciate support! Just for you... here are some pictures from this morning! These are taken right after step 1, nothing else on my face.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo273.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo274.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/tarafsu/Photo275.jpg

I have mostly hyperpigmentation... some blackheads... what do you think? I'm in week 6 of the regimen again.

I just started adding the jojoba oil and it seems to help, but it's also pulling clogged pores up and out...

Your face looks great in the pics! I do not see any active acne at the moment is that right?? It is a little red, is that why you are using the jojoba oil or is it for dryness?

Well let me just tell you a little bit about my face. I had been using proactive since June 6th and just got off of it. Before that I had used proactive a couple of times but never stayed with it for too long because I never felt like it really cleared me up. So on June 6th I decided I was going to give it at least 8 weeks and I actually gave it more like 12 weeks but I was never fully satisfied. It cleared me up a bit but I still broke out often. And on top of that, I felt like my skin was so unhealthy. My skin tone was uneven and sometimes it was dry and red. So I decided to wait until I was at a time that I wasn't really broken out too bad and then try something else. So I only had a couple of little pimples with a lot of hyperpigmentation a couple of days ago, I browsed around this site to see what other people were using, and found the post about the oil of olay products. It made perfect sense...if I want to get rid of the hyperpigmention and the dull, unhealthy skin...I need new skin! I need my skin cells to regenerate and create that new, healthy skin. So I got the stuff Monday night and started using it, I can already tell a difference and it has only been 2 days. It really is amazing and I am so happy with it SO FAR. I know that it is too soon to judge it, but I do love what I am seeing. So I am going to stick with this for a while and see what happens :)

Just to let you know my face is in worse shape than yours as far as acne. I have seen pretty much all of your pics since you started this blog and my face has been worse along with the hyperpigmentation. I have tried EVERYTHING including dermatologist stuff and antibiotics. There is hope so keep your chin up!!

I was trying out the jojoba for the flaking... still seems to have flakes, possibly more... Maybe there is a better way to use it then mixed with moisturizer?

My face only has the red tint right after washing... it goes away about 20 min later...

I think my face is looking good, except for those hyperpig marks.

GodisGood, keep posting about the Olay stuff, I'd love to know how its working.

SOOOO... jojoba is working, making my skin look healthier! Also, I tried Cerave moisturizing lotion last night and I didn't have any burning like I did with Cetaphil lotion. Also, my redness has gone almost completely away with just one application. So, if your face is burning a lot after you put on moisturizer and your face goes super red, try something else. Cerave feels a lot better and makes my face look a lot better too!

Week 7 here goes!

Middle of week 7 and I've picked at a couple under the skin type pimples that weren't full yet. It's my downfall, but I've been stressed out because we are moving.

I'm using the Cerave moisturizer and I like it much better than Cetaphil. Cetaphil would burn like no other. The redness seems to calm down some too.

Also, I've been using a lot of jojoba. Sometimes I put a lot on and gently rub it around and let it soak into my face for about 10-20 minutes, then I wash it off and start my regimen. Flakes have gone down some, but they are still very noticeable first thing in the morning. Anyone have any other ideas to combat these flakies??

Overall, I think the regimen is working... I'm still getting a few pimples here and there but I'm still only in week 7. By 12, I'm hoping to be completely clear... wish me luck!

Thanks for reading! I'll post some updated pictures on week 8!

Edited by tarabear

Tarabear,

Glad to hear things are going well!!! As for the flakes...i would cut down to BP once a day at night. I did that about 2 weeks ago and my face has been looking great. No dryness for me at all! I am still doing the Olay regimen and it is wonderful. I don't remember the last time I was this clear. My hyperpigmentation spots are even fading. If I were you, I would just use the BP all over your face at night and then spot treat with BP in the morning with just the spots that have active acne, do not put it on the hyperpigmentation spots (I heard BP makes it worse).

Tarabear,

Glad to hear things are going well!!! As for the flakes...i would cut down to BP once a day at night. I did that about 2 weeks ago and my face has been looking great. No dryness for me at all! I am still doing the Olay regimen and it is wonderful. I don't remember the last time I was this clear. My hyperpigmentation spots are even fading. If I were you, I would just use the BP all over your face at night and then spot treat with BP in the morning with just the spots that have active acne, do not put it on the hyperpigmentation spots (I heard BP makes it worse).

I've tried skipping 2 applications of BP and broke out pretty badly bc of it. I think the jojoba oil I let soak on my face before I do the regimen is helping some. I was only doing it once a day at night, but I think I'm going to up the jojoba thing to twice a day. I put a lot in my hand and then rub it all over my face and leave it on for 20 min, then I do the regimen and use more mixed with my moisturizer. The only flakies I'm still getting are around my mouth. I'll keep you posted.

I would love to be able to lower my BP application to once a day, but I don't see that happening. Has anyone actually done that and stayed clear?

End of week 7, got an isolated painful pimple on my lower right cheek. Ouch! Hope it heals soon.

Still flaking of course and I'm using jojoba. Mostly looking good though, red spots and hyperpigmentation seem to be fading with time...

Keeping it up. 5 weeks until 3 months.

End of week 7, got an isolated painful pimple on my lower right cheek. Ouch! Hope it heals soon.

Still flaking of course and I'm using jojoba. Mostly looking good though, red spots and hyperpigmentation seem to be fading with time...

Keeping it up. 5 weeks until 3 months.

Hey, your skin looks great!

Just curious, but does your diet have an effect on your acne?

Starting week 8. So, I've been moving all weekend so I only did the regimen one time each day the past 2 days. Still flaking... blah, so that didn't work. Also, 3 pimples surfaced this weekend on my right cheek. I popped them the correct way as stated on this website. Hope they go away soon.

I still have lots of hyperpigmentation on my cheeks. I'm using jojoba in my moisturizer to see if that helps, but so far, I don't think it really has.

I'm going to keep pressing on as the "what to expect" page says that during this time the person wants to quick or stray away. Hopefully 1 more month on this regimen will point to clear skin for once.

Anyone else at this place? Still breaking out?

ATB- I eat right for the most part and drink about 8 glasses of water daily.

Edited by tarabear

End of week 8, starting week 9 tomorrow.

I'm pretty clear... I have about 5-8 hyperpigmentation areas on my cheeks. I feel like there are 2 pimples under the skin on my cheeks that are waiting to surface. I'm not going to mess with them and hope that the BP will just take care of them, even though that never happens.

I'm still flaking around my lower cheeks and chin. I've cut back on BP and I'm using jojoba oil and it's still not taking care of these. Is there anything else that has worked for anyone?!

I'll post pictures next week.

Guest lovelyladylivingwithacne

Geez, I'd do anything to have skin like yours, even before the reginem, why waste your time? your skin is fine.

I'm pretty clear... I have about 5-8 hyperpigmentation areas on my cheeks. I feel like there are 2 pimples under the skin on my cheeks that are waiting to surface. I'm not going to mess with them and hope that the BP will just take care of them, even though that never happens.

I'm still flaking around my lower cheeks and chin. I've cut back on BP and I'm using jojoba oil and it's still not taking care of these. Is there anything else that has worked for anyone?!

Lately, at night, I have been washing my face with alpha hydrox foaming face wash and then I use a lot of bp (like one finger full) and then a little bit later i put on some aha gel 10%. Then in the morning i use the face wash again, aha gel, wait for it to dry and then i use the olay regenerist deep hydrating lotion. My skin has been looking great, the marks are fading (from the aha, i think) and it has not been dry at all. Maybe you could try that?

Edited by GodisGood

Lately, at night, I have been washing my face with alpha hydrox foaming face wash and then I use a lot of bp (like one finger full) and then a little bit later i put on some aha gel 10%. Then in the morning i use the face wash again, aha gel, wait for it to dry and then i use the olay regenerist deep hydrating lotion. My skin has been looking great, the marks are fading (from the aha, i think) and it has not been dry at all. Maybe you could try that?

Are you using Dan's AHA? Last time I used that it gave me tiny pimples...