Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tarabear

Tarabears Regimen Log

That is good to figure out, and I'm glad you found something that works for you! Your wedding isn't til May, right? So you do still have a bit of time to get it all sorted out :)

I'm hoping my face doesn't start with redness and flaking after being on the regimen. So far, its been really good, but I'm a little worried it'll go the way your skin did. Were you sensitive when you first started?

Yeah, my face started getting really red when I first used the regimen. Especially noticeable once I used the moisturizer. It made my face look super greasy and bright red! Also, on the regimen, my face was super oily by the end of the day, which is weird bc I was using a lot of BP. On Oxy, my face is smooth, not peely, or red. Strange bc it has 10% BP. Must be bc I don't have to leave it on all day. It's a simple 2 times a day wash.

I have 60 days until my wedding and I feel a lot more confident even after a few days using OXY. I hope it continues! Fingers crossed!!

So you don't apply any moisturizer after using this new wash then? Simply washing twice a day and that's it? No dryness or flakiness? Sorry for the multiple questions, but I've been trying to go without BP since the beginning of the year and it's simply not working out very well. Plus, I've never used a 10% BP product, just 2.5%. I just applied the DKR for the first time in a while tonight. I had an explosion of whiteheads around the mouth after trying salicylic acid. If this wash you speak of continues to impress, I just may give it a shot myself. Something simple, yet effective would be great. Continued success and best of luck!

T.J.-

All I do is wash with OXY 2x a day. That's it... no moisturizer. I'm not peeling, red, or flakey. It's kind of a miracle at the moment. I'm telling you, it hasn't even been 1 full week and I'm almost completely clear. I have maybe 3 tiny little whiteheads healing from the SA that I used before this. It's fragrance free and lathers decently in your hands. I looked up reviews about it on acne.org and drugstore.com before attempting and I agree with the reviews, it works well.

If your face is sensitive though, you may need to moisturize. Not sure why I don't have to...

My face feels much smoother and the acne is minimal so far. Tomorrow will mark 1 week. It's normally week 2 when and if it goes awry.

Let me know if you decide to get it. It's only like $5 or so and at this point, you have nothing to lose!

Good luck!

Hey, congratulations! It sounds so much easier than the regimen. So far, I'm just waiting for my hyperpigmentation to go away. I've been relatively clear for the past month, just a small pimple here and there. I'll try your OXY after my skin is 100% clear of pigmentation and pimples! Keep letting us know how it goes! =)

Alright, so it's been 1 week since I started just washing with OXY Daily Wash. The results are amazing... I do not think I have any active acne at the moment. Just red marks and hyperpig from before. I am starting to develop a little dryness in the lower cheek areas (I also put Dan's 2.5% BP on spots at night). I think that is what is causing it because the rest of my face is not dry nor irritated.

I think I may switch to the OXY 5% wash instead to see if that keeps the acne at bay, but isn't as harsh overall.

I really like that it is actually working and I do not have to keep BP on my face all day long.

It's only been a week though! Cross your fingers for number 2.

Tara

Hey there!!

It's been officially 2 weeks since starting only washing with OXY Face Wash. I have 1 pimple going away and the rest of my face is just red marks from old acne and dark hyperpigmentation. I just switched from OXY 10% wash to the OXY 5% wash to see if it works the same but with lesser strength.

So far so good! Hopefully it continues into week 3. I think this is where the normal initial breakout happens (I think). It is good to know that only BP helps my acne. I'm making progress...

I'll keep posting as the weeks go on...

Thank you for your support!

Hey there!!

It's been officially 2 weeks since starting only washing with OXY Face Wash. I have 1 pimple going away and the rest of my face is just red marks from old acne and dark hyperpigmentation. I just switched from OXY 10% wash to the OXY 5% wash to see if it works the same but with lesser strength.

So far so good! Hopefully it continues into week 3. I think this is where the normal initial breakout happens (I think). It is good to know that only BP helps my acne. I'm making progress...

I'll keep posting as the weeks go on...

Thank you for your support!

i know what you mean, I used to be greassy and red and it's embarrasing. Good luck and i so proud that you are so brave in finding different solutions and different regimens that may work. keep it up. Best of luck.l

Can you post a link to the 5% wash? Over here in Canada we don't get the same stuff. Thanks.

Can you post a link to the 5% wash? Over here in Canada we don't get the same stuff. Thanks.

Sure!

http://www.drugstore.com:80/products/prod....amp;catid=21234

How's it going? Still working alright?

Thanks.

It was working well... I'm debating on what to do. I know that just washing with a BP cleanser isn't going to do the trick. I need a quick fire way to clear up. I think I'm going to go back to Proactiv. I know everyone on here hates it, but it kept me very clear for 2 years. I'm also stopping my doxycycline I've been taking for 6 months 1 pill a day. I'm going to ween off of it though. I'm doing 1 pill skipping 2 days, then taking 1 then skipping 3 days, then 1 pill skipping 4 days... and so on. Until I stop at 1 week. I think that is also the cause of my redness I've been having.

I'll keep you posted. 45 days until my wedding... cross your fingers and pray for a blemish free natural colored face.

You know, if ProActiv worked for you, do it! It worked for me too, but the cost was way too much. And I think stopping ProActiv may have caused the horrible breakout on my chin this past fall. I'm still waiting for those redmarks to fade! The smell never bothered me of any of the products, though I did feel the wash was a little harsh at times. And it didn't get my makeup off like Dan's cleanser does. Overall though, it kept me pretty damn clear. It needs a good moisturizer, though, IMO.

Good luck!!

You know, if ProActiv worked for you, do it! It worked for me too, but the cost was way too much. And I think stopping ProActiv may have caused the horrible breakout on my chin this past fall. I'm still waiting for those redmarks to fade! The smell never bothered me of any of the products, though I did feel the wash was a little harsh at times. And it didn't get my makeup off like Dan's cleanser does. Overall though, it kept me pretty damn clear. It needs a good moisturizer, though, IMO.

Good luck!!

I can afford proactiv because I think the pro's of clear skin outweigh the cost of the system. I've been using it again for 1 week (just the cleanser and toner) to get my skin to get used to all the bp again and it has worked very well!! No active acne, jut clearing the red and dark spots now. I'm stoked about it. Hopefully it continues to improve. It doesn't irritate me like Dan's regimen does.

Anywho, thanks for the encouragement!

Tara

It's funny how people react so differently. I used Proactiv for a long time, but my face was just so tight that smiling was a pain. I was gonna try their Gentle kit, but it was out of stock so I stopped. Just too expensive for the results I was personally getting. What I like about Dan's Regimen is that it's simple. No frills cleanser, BP treatment and a no frills moisturizer. I think many people end up getting irritation because they try to ramp up the dosage too quickly and don't moisturize nearly enough at the beginning. As a result, it's very hard to overcome the effects if BP use is continued, so starting out right is super important. It made all the difference for me. Obviously Dan stresses A LOT of BP, but too many people take that too literally. You really need to use what your skin is capable of tolerating and no more. Most BP treatments tell you to apply a very thin layer over your skin, hence, less irritation. It's all about balance.

Anyways, not really sure why I wrote that, haha. I'm bored. But I just wanted to drop by and see how your progress was with that Oxy wash and saw you were going back to Proactiv. I decided not to try the Oxy wash and simply went back to Dan's Regimen and products. I'm only using the BP when I need it though and usually only applying it at night. I actually applied it the past three nights, using it for the first time in a while and had one of my best clearings this year. I'm happy. :)

Good luck with the return to Proactiv! If it works for you, here's to continued success! :hifive:

It's funny how people react so differently. I used Proactiv for a long time, but my face was just so tight that smiling was a pain. I was gonna try their Gentle kit, but it was out of stock so I stopped. Just too expensive for the results I was personally getting. What I like about Dan's Regimen is that it's simple. No frills cleanser, BP treatment and a no frills moisturizer. I think many people end up getting irritation because they try to ramp up the dosage too quickly and don't moisturize nearly enough at the beginning. As a result, it's very hard to overcome the effects if BP use is continued, so starting out right is super important. It made all the difference for me. Obviously Dan stresses A LOT of BP, but too many people take that too literally. You really need to use what your skin is capable of tolerating and no more. Most BP treatments tell you to apply a very thin layer over your skin, hence, less irritation. It's all about balance.

Anyways, not really sure why I wrote that, haha. I'm bored. But I just wanted to drop by and see how your progress was with that Oxy wash and saw you were going back to Proactiv. I decided not to try the Oxy wash and simply went back to Dan's Regimen and products. I'm only using the BP when I need it though and usually only applying it at night. I actually applied it the past three nights, using it for the first time in a while and had one of my best clearings this year. I'm happy. :)

Good luck with the return to Proactiv! If it works for you, here's to continued success! :hifive:

Thanks!! I think I may have been allergic to something in Dan's BP. It made my face super red and peely, it hurt. Using proactiv, also helps with exfoliating dead skin with their cleanser. It's not as harsh on my face as other people say. I'm only using the cleanser and toner now though. After this week, I'm going to implement the repairing lotion at night every other night to see how that goes. I'm taking it slowly. Having good results though.

I'll keep you posted.

It will be 2 weeks tomorrow using Proactiv again. I have only been using the cleanser and the toner and spot treating with the repairing lotion up until last night. I put the repairing lotion all over last night and this morning to see how my skin reacts to BP all over my face again.

I only have 1 or 2 active blemishes right now. I know that in the first couple weeks, the BP gets all existing acne out to the surface. I'm hoping the next 2 weeks show real improvement.

Also, I didn't know if I mentioned before, I'm also weening myself off of antibiotics as well. They didn't work for me. At all. The entire time I was on doxycycline I had acne everyday. Even a huge nodular type. :(

I'm really hoping that proactiv at least keeps me clear-ish for the next 36 days for my wedding!!!

Thanks for keeping up..

T

3rd week on Proactiv

I am clearing up very nicely with limited redness or irritation. My face is smooth and I have no active acne. Still trying to get rid of hyperpig and red marks. I am happy thus far and hope it continues!!

Proactiv is actually working again! Holy moly, I hope I don't jinx myself.

I think this is day 26 on the proactiv solution again! It is going as well as it could be considering everyone with acne always struggles. I haven't had too many pimples since starting back on the regimen. My face isn't red anymore and all I have are annoying hyperpigmentation!

If I do get a pimple, it's gone in 2-3 days (something I'm not used to anymore).

I'm happy with results so far and this quick! Hope it continues.

Thanks for keeping up with me!

Wedding = 17 days to go!

Hey everyone! Just thought I'd give you an update! I'm still using proactiv again and it's working pretty well. The only zits I have are because I pick at small little zits and turn them into something bigger. I only have 1 pimple right now due to that reason. My face isn't red anymore like it was on Dan's regimen.

I got married last weekend and my face looked pretty darn good! I'm going to continue to use proactiv because I am having much success again. Still don't know how to combat the hyperpig and red marks from previous acne. I know its a waiting game, but I didn't know what else I could use to try to speed it up.

I've used AHA before and it causes me to break out wherever I use it.

Thanks for reading and following up.

I can't believe Dan's regimen didn't work for you. I'm pretty dicouraged considering I am on his regimen now and it has been the second week and I have seen so much improvement.

Whats so different about proactiv though? Its pretty much the same basic idea as Dan's regimen.

=[

To be quite honest, if you were doing the regimen correctly, it would work much better than Proactive and you would find that you're spending much less money. Proactiv uses irritating ingredients and will become less effective the longer you use it because of this. The facial scrub containing 2.5% BP is pointless and ineffective as the BP is washed off anyways. Scrubbing your face twice a day everyday is most likely going to lead to issues. The toner is unnecessary and their BP lotion has filler ingredients with a fragrance that will most likely irritate your skin.

Proactiv's success is built around their use of BP because that ingredient works very well with people who have mild to moderate acne. This is why I don't understand how being on a less irritating regimen would not provide you with better results. Perhaps you didn't stick with it long enough?

To be quite honest, if you were doing the regimen correctly, it would work much better than Proactive and you would find that you're spending much less money. Proactiv uses irritating ingredients and will become less effective the longer you use it because of this. The facial scrub containing 2.5% BP is pointless and ineffective as the BP is washed off anyways. Scrubbing your face twice a day everyday is most likely going to lead to issues. The toner is unnecessary and their BP lotion has filler ingredients with a fragrance that will most likely irritate your skin.

Proactiv's success is built around their use of BP because that ingredient works very well with people who have mild to moderate acne. This is why I don't understand how being on a less irritating regimen would not provide you with better results. Perhaps you didn't stick with it long enough?

This is EXACTLY what I'm thinking man.

I did Dan's regimen for a full 3 months twice a day. My face was soooo red! I thought it would have worked too. I did everything I could on it. It is possible that maybe there is something in Dan's BP that I may be allergic to and just don't know it. The good thing about Proactiv's cleanser is it takes off some of the dead skin I couldn't get rid of on Dan's Regimen. I always had the flakiest face and tried all the exfoliating techniques I could find and nothing worked. I used jojoba oil, didn't work, made my face dry in spots and oily in others. In all my pictures from a trip to Chicago my face looks like FIRE red. It is bizarre that Proactiv is working better than Dan's.

I've been reading your post (the whole log actually) tonight and I find myself at a loss for words :)

I was using ProActiv for a good 5 years and then it just suddenly stopped working. My sister was using ProActiv for even LONGER and the same thing happened to her. Just stopped working - breakout after breakout. We both tried using Acne-Free - DO NOT USE THAT. It's a cheaper version - trust me. It didn't work at all.

After Proactiv stopped working - I ended up switching to the full DKR stuff. Last July 2008 - I was using DK's wash and BP. I didn't use moisturizer - I found my skin was oily enough. I was totally clear on just DK stuff - UNTIL the end of this past March 2009. Something just stopped. I was still using everything that had been working with the DKR stuff - but I was just getting TONS or more acne - I was so confused. So I stopped using the DK wash (because I thought that maybe it was just too gentle and it wasn't getting my skin clean) and used a different wash (clean and clear continuous control with BP 10%.) Using the Clean and Clear wash and the DK BP cleared my face up, slowly - but I was confused as to why the DK wash would suddenly stop working with the DK Benzoyl Peroxide (BP.) I found out a couple of days ago that the DK wash had an ingredient change. They took out the "urea" ingredient - and that is the only thing I can think of that would have effected my skin. However - other people on the board think that it's insane that I Would think that something would cause my skin to break out like that - that fast.

Well - I decided last week - to try going back to the DK wash - to see if I could be all clear (like I was a year ago) on just DK products. After just 2 days of using the DK wash with the DK BP (the BP which I had been using the whole time with clean and clear) I got horrible HORRIBLE cystic acne. To the point where you'd have thought I bumped my head. The lumps were protruding out of my forehead and chin. That BAD.

I immediately stopped using the DK wash that night - since I am still convinced that the "minor" ingredient change has affected my skin. I was using the DK wash and BP for a year religiously almost 3 times a day - and was totally clear. Now - I am afraid to use the wash :(

I tried going back to Proactiv - just their wash this week - and started getting small cystic bumps on my jawline (something I used to get with Proactiv wayyyy back when I was using it) so I stopped. I didn't get cystic bumps with Clean and Clear so I figured that something wasn't right with this wash either.

I am at a crossroads as well - so I totally hear you on what to do - and really appreciate your log and your updates. I tried doing the Proactiv wash - but I really am scared to go back to that again, too.

What I'm going to try - is Cetaphil cleanser with the DK BP - since everyone on here thinks it's really good - and see if I can get back to like I was a year ago on the DK wash. I wish they wouldn't have adjusted the ingredients - I've learned to ALWAYS compare labels when you buy new bottles of products you've been using for awhile:(

I was going to recommend (if you still did the DK wash and bp) for the dry/flakiness - did you ever try just pure clear Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera gel? http://www.fote.com/prod_skin_gel.html#

They sell big bottles of it at Walmart etc.. and it's the only thing I can use on flakes that stops them after just one little application. It's like a clear gel - that just dries over the skin. Not greasy or anything. I used the Aloe Vera Gel the whole time while on Proactiv too (which make me really dry) and never broke out from it! Just a good product for flakes!!! Really helps during the day too - just dab some on and go! I've used Cetaphil lotion too - it worked too, but reacted with BP. Like the lotion fought with the BP and would turn white when it dried. The aloe doesn't do that :) It's like glue for flakes!

Keep up the awesome work! Good luck! Be careful with the Proactiv though!!!