Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Space Wrangler

Yet Another Accutane Log

Alright, so another Accutane log, or actually Sotret... A little background, I had great skin up until I was 17 or so and then for some unknown reason I started getting the occasional breakout. Well, it slowly, but steadily got worse as I neared 20. Just turned 21 and the hopes that I would "outgrow" it are gone. The past 3 or 4 years I have tried just about everything you can think of, from Tri Clear to every miscellaneous prescription my Dermotoligost had probably. Nothing ever seemed to work other than some unknown "steroid" that my Dermo put me on twice, for a week at a time and each time it completely cleared my skin, but the next week it would return. :wall::doh:

Anyway, my acne is very mild, and has alaways been strictly around my chin-jawline area, upper lip to nose area, forehead, and has just in the past year showed up on my shoulders. I have always had my ups and downs with my acne, one week it will seem as if it is gone, then the next two weeks my face will re-erupt( :think: ), I would like to finally put an end to it, so my Dermo recommended Accutane. I didn't want to have to go this route, but I am ready to go on with my life and am willing to give it a try.

Information: 21, Male, 6'1", 210lbs, 80mg (40mg in the a.m. and 40mg at night)

The first 2 days I didn't have any effects at all.

Day 3, I didn't want to get out of bed, I could have slept all day. But I made myself get out and felt fine after I got out of the shower :shrug: But later in the evening I went over to my folks house to have dinner and my mom said that my face looked a little red, and it felt like I was wind burned.

Day 4 (Today), same as yesterday, a little sluggish getting out of bed but after shower I was ready to go. Face is starting to peel a little bit, but other than that everything is fine :popcorn:

Few questions if anyone can help me out:

Is it normal for my face to get red so soon, will it go away soon?

What is BI?

I got some Aquaphor, Purpose dual tratment moisture lotion and chapstick, anything else I should get?

Does 80mg per day seem like the right dose, or is it too much?

I am normally in the outdoors a lot, mostly fishing, does being on Accutane mean no sun exposure at all? :doh:

Thanks for any help, I will update as much as I can.

Good luck with your course , I'll try and answer your questions the best I can :)

Its normal for your face to get red. You are on a fairly high initial dose. Will it go away soon... That depends on how your body/skin reacts to the drug, its different for different people.

I think you mean IB , that an initial breakout, A lot of people find that their acne worsens initially before getting better, you may or may not face this problem. The breakout usually clears up within a couple of weeks.

I'd suggest getting some good eye drops as you may find that your eyes dry out. Also, you may want to get some good quality sunscreen, spf 15-30, Accutane does increase your sun sensitivity , so slather it on when you go out. I wouldn't say don't do any outdoor activities , but you may want to keep a close eye on your skin.

your weight in KGs is about 95...so your daily dose should not cross 95mg.. so 80 mg seems fine...though for an initial dose it does sound high..I'm sure your derm knows what he/she is doing. I'd suggest bringing it up with him/her.

Hope this helps!

Good luck with your course , I'll try and answer your questions the best I can :)

Its normal for your face to get red. You are on a fairly high initial dose. Will it go away soon... That depends on how your body/skin reacts to the drug, its different for different people.

I think you mean IB , that an initial breakout, A lot of people find that their acne worsens initially before getting better, you may or may not face this problem. The breakout usually clears up within a couple of weeks.

I'd suggest getting some good eye drops as you may find that your eyes dry out. Also, you may want to get some good quality sunscreen, spf 15-30, Accutane does increase your sun sensitivity , so slather it on when you go out. I wouldn't say don't do any outdoor activities , but you may want to keep a close eye on your skin.

your weight in KGs is about 95...so your daily dose should not cross 95mg.. so 80 mg seems fine...though for an initial dose it does sound high..I'm sure your derm knows what he/she is doing. I'd suggest bringing it up with him/her.

Hope this helps!

After reading more, I see that face redness is more common than I thought. Having fair skin I am sure doesn't help, but hopefully it will subside soon :pray: And I will be getting some eyedrops, today my eyes feel tired, I am not but my eyes are :crazy2:

Good luck with your course too, and thank you for your help.

Day 5

I have now completed 400mg's of Sotret. Not too much has changed from yesterday, had 5 or 6 whiteheads pop up overnight, which has never happened just overnight so I assume it is the Accutane doing it's thing.

I have been keeping chap stick on pretty regular so no problems with that so far. My face is not as red as it was before, but still has a wind burned feel to it :think:

Can someone recommend a moisturizer that won't leave my face all oily? I have tried three or four including aquaphor and they leave my face pretty oily.

Does anyone have any experiance with Eucerin Redness Relief Cleansing Gel?

Day 6

Not much to report from yesterday. I have broken out slightly more compared to yesterday, and honestly I think wearing moisturizer has a lot to do with it, I am going to try not wearing any at night but being that the skin on my face is a little flaky I guess I will have to use it in the daytime. It just makes my skin so oily. Can someone recommend a moisturizer that won't leave my face all oily?

Day 7

All is well today, didn't use any moisturizer so my face was somewhat tight/flaky but my face was not irritated or red at all.

I finally found something tonight that doesn't leave my face irritated/burned and oily. Nadinola Shea Butter! Got it at Wal-Mart in the bargain bin for 99cents! haha. Face is moisturized, isn't irritated at all, absorbed into my skin good and didnt leave it oily at all :clap:

Day 14

A lot of improvement since my last post. My face has almost completely cleared up other than one small spot that has almost healed up, forehead has one small cyst on it but nothing too bad. Shoulders have improved slightly but still have a few actives on them.

I don't know if it's the Shea Butter or not, but my face is not all flaky like it was. If anyone is having a hard time finding a good moisturizer, it is definitely worth trying, only thing I could find that didn't irritate my skin and/or leave it oily.

Day 24

Everything is still going well, I had two small spots pop up on my nose, but they are almost gone now. I also have one small spot on my jawline area, but hopfully will be gone soon.

I know it is very early, but my shoulders have not cleared up at all like my face has. My face has been clear since around day 10 and it hasn't been clear for two weeks like this for as long as I can remember. I feel fortunate that my face responded so well to it so quickly.

As far as side effects, they have been very minimal since what I suppose was the IB the first week or so when I had several white heads and a very red/flushed face. Lips are somewhat dry but nothing chapstick can't fix. Still going to the gym 5 days a week and running 2-3 days a week and haven't had any abnormal joint, back pains.

Day 32

Had my 1 month check-up yesterday. Derm said everything appears to be going really well and wrote me another perscription for the same 80mg a day for month 2. I also had to have another blood test yesterday but he said if it comes back normal that I don't have to take anymore blood tests.

As far as acne goes, my face is 100% clear and has been for almost 3 weeks, my forehead is 90% clear, I have two small pimples there, my shoulders are improving slightly. I don't know how it could have worked so well so fast, but so far I am very pleased.

Side effects-

Dry eyes in the latter part of the day.

Semi chapped lips.

Day 40

Not too much to report. I got one pimple by my jaw line 5 or 6 days ago, but it is now gone. I have one small pimple on the under side of my chin. Forehead has cleared up well, and my shoulders seem to be slowly but steadily improving.

Finally I can take a shower in the morning and my skin will still be dry and smooth by nighttime. Used to get very greasy in just a couple of hours.

Side Effects: Dry lips, dry eyes.

wow when i read the first post about 80mg a day i thought you would have some serious side effects early on. Good to hear everything is working and your course is coming along great! good luck with the rest.

I'm having the same moisturizer problem (skin looks super oily), are you still using the shea butter? is it worth buying?

wow when i read the first post about 80mg a day i thought you would have some serious side effects early on. Good to hear everything is working and your course is coming along great! good luck with the rest.

I'm having the same moisturizer problem (skin looks super oily), are you still using the shea butter? is it worth buying?

Yea, I after reading several logs I was not looking forward to it, but so far it hasn't been bad.

Yes, I am still using the Shea Butter, and honestly I don't know if my course would be going this smoothly if I hadn't found it. I strongly reccomend getting it and trying it, it only cost a couple of dollars. This is what I am using http://yhst-44931618281041.stores.yahoo.net/shea1.html , got mine at Wal-Mart.

Good Luck.

Day 46

Again, not much to report. I have one small spot that showed up near the corner of my mouth yesterday, and shoulders seem to have broken out a little bit more. Other than that, my face and forehead are clear.

No side effects at all past few days... Although I did go hunting yesterday and day before and seemed to be more sensitive to sun, but that could be because I am not out in the sun now like I am in the spring & summer.

Thank you for your comment and advice on my first post

Reading your blog made me hopeful that maybe the beginning of my course will be as positive as yours has been so far.

Best of luck to you, hope it keeps going great :)

Looks like you're doing awesome man! You've given me more motivation to get on Accutane ASAP. I also have mild acne but it's very persistent and definitely noticeable. I hope I can get on Accutane and achieve the same results as you.

Do you notice your acne become more glaring after you shave?

Day 51

Things have slightly improved again since my last post. My shoulders seem to be drying up and healing. Other than my shoulders, I am clear everywhere except the small spot on the corner of my mouth which is no longer active and should be gone in a couple days.

Nothing has changed with the side effects, lips are a little dry but as long as you apply chapstick every couple of hours it's fine.

Day 58

I go in for my 2 month check-up today. Atleast no more blood tests :dance:

Things are slowly, but steadily improving I guess. The spot near the corner of my mouth is still there. I never had a spot last so long, I suppose it is the Accutane and whatever it does to your skin to make it take so long to heal. I also had one real small spot pop up yesterday on the T part of my nose, but I expect to go away soon... On the plus side, my shoulders are starting to clear up very nicely :clap: It's funny because about a week ago I decided to start putting the Shea Butter on my shoulders as well, and it seems like that is when they started clearing up. Who knows if it is the SB or if that is when the Tane decided to kick in on my shoulders.

Another plus is that I am not having any side effects really, just the somewhat dry lips I have had since the beginning.

Day 67

Had some good improvement on my shoulders over the last couple of weeks, right nor I only have 1 or 2 actives on them right now and the rest are clearing up nicely. The spot in the corner of my mouth has finally disappeared, unfortuantley their is another spot forming an inch or so from my left eye, hopefully it won't get out of hand. Overall my face does look much better than it has in a long, long time even skin texture is good. The facial redness is still there, although it doesn't seem to be quite as bad as before.

I was given Claravis when I went and got my last prescription filled, and a couple days later a rash formed on the underside of my forearm. I don't think it had anything to do with switching from Sotret to Claravis, because they are the same thing supposedly. I think it was just my skin finally got overly dried out as I havn't been moisturizing anything but my face. As much as I hate the feel of Aquaphor, I lathered up in it all over the other night and my rash went away, and all the scratches/nicks I have been getting over the past few weeks seemed to suddenly start to heal. :cool:

Side Effects - Got rash on forearm, but went away overnight with Auquaphor, moisturize every day or two and you won't get them. Other than that nothing except dry lips, chapstick takes care of that.

Day 75

I have continued to see good improvement over the past week. The spot that I thought was showing up near my ear never actuallt showed up. Right now my face is 100% clear for the first time since I was probly 14 or so. I have one small spot at my hairline, but thats it. Shoulders still clearing up pretty well, I would say I have had about a 60% improvement on them since I started my course.

Side Effects-- None. Lips haven't been as dry as they were before which is nice. Face isn't near as red as it was before. Still been working out about 4-5 days a week, and run about 10-15 miles a week without and abnormal muscle or joint pains. :banana:

Day 95

Everything seems to be going fine. Shoulders are not improving too much though, still about the same as they were last time I posted. Face is still clear, but is still kinda red. I have tried a few other moisturizers hope that maybe it would reduce some redness. I have tried olay, neutrogena sensitive skin, garnier and a couple others but they either leave my face sticky/oily, or overly dry and do not moisturize at all. So I have decided that their is nothing better than my one dollar shea butter. i am going to go to the health food store and see if i can find some all natural shea butter and maybe that will help the redness :cool:

Side effects Dry lips, facial redness.

Day 75

I have continued to see good improvement over the past week. The spot that I thought was showing up near my ear never actuallt showed up. Right now my face is 100% clear for the first time since I was probly 14 or so. I have one small spot at my hairline, but thats it. Shoulders still clearing up pretty well, I would say I have had about a 60% improvement on them since I started my course.

Side Effects-- None. Lips haven't been as dry as they were before which is nice. Face isn't near as red as it was before. Still been working out about 4-5 days a week, and run about 10-15 miles a week without and abnormal muscle or joint pains. :banana:

Hope everything keeps going great!

Day 120

Went to see my dermatologist last week. He said that my skin looks incredible and that I could either finish out the 5 month course, or end it at 4 months. I decided to end at 4 months, so I only have about 1 week left of the pill and that will be it(missed a day here and there).

My face has been clear ever since about the 2nd week, my soulders took a little longer to react to the medicine, but they are now clear and have been for several weeks.

Couldn't be happier with the results... Only thing that has me worried is my sensativity to the sun now. Derm said that within a couple weeks after accutane I should be back to normal.

Side Effects- dry lips, still a bit of a red face