Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello!

I can't believe I am doing this... haha... I should be doing homework... doing an all-nighter, yayy... instead, I'm here because I am extremely frustrated and becoming more obsessed with my acne infested face. I looked through the galleries, and I cannot seem to understand why people worry about their faces when they looked absolutely normal- Lot of people here are so beautiful~ All my friends have pretty skin, as well as my boy friend, ahaha~ it's so embarrassing. I rely on makeup to cover all of my imperfections... It is sooooo so so rare that I even go out in public without makeup on. So sad... My boyfriend's really nice, however, I want to be pretty for him... ahahahaha... ahhhhh...

I've tried everyyyythinnnnggg, well, maybe not everything... I've been to the dermatologist- but not for a while- not since May '08 because it was getting expensive, and I am a money-pinching college art student... I've done photodynamic therapy, which worked wonders in 2007- I was suggested to take accutane, but I flat-out refused because there were so many side-effects involved, including depression. That was the last thing I needed, plus I'd rather be ugly than have messed up innards.

So I've been quite obsessive and spending a whole lot of time on the internet in order to find miracle cures--- things on diet- everything... The bad thing, though, is commitment and eating out with others... All my friends can eat whatever they want--- but it seems like my face reacts to the things I eat? Seems like it, dammit, and I eat everyyyy ttthiiiing... I love food. It sucks... I guess I've been trying to eat more healthy than usual. Maybe I should start working out? One thing I've started since last week was drinking a liter of water a day along with a 1/2 cup of organic apple cider vinegar. Yep... So I guess I'll post pictures later- of my ugliness... haha, that is if people are interested... Thanks for reading my sad story~ <3 :boohoo:

Welcome to the board!

Since you expressed an interest in the diet/acne connection, I'm going to move your thread to the Nutrition & Holistic Health forum. Lots of info there. You might want to check out the pinned threads to begin with.

Hey, welcome to the org!

I understand what you mean by only feeling comfortable wearing makeup in public. I am the same way (I'm a girl btw, not the person in my avatar lol). Also, you have to remember that pictures with certain lighting can hide imperfections...but most importantly, you can be beyond gorgeous with or without acne! Think about it...you probably don't even factor acne into someone's appearance. Yes, you notice it, but I bet you find others attractive who have it. Believe it or not, other people do the same when they see you. =)

With the food factor, it depends. For some people, what they eat does not affect their acne. For others, it does. You may have a food allergy. Consider an allergy test? As for working out, well, it is always better to work out at least 30 mins 3-5 times a week anyways. It may help you feel less stressed out and that is always a positive thing.

I hope to see you around! =)

Dear yuckyyy27,

I just wanted to respond to your post to give you some encouragement (sorry for not writing sooner). I know how depressing it can be sometimes, but it's important not to let it consume your thoughts (believe me, I know that's extremely tough to do). Don't let your acne become what defines you! Kairasa's post is very wise - attractiveness is heavily based on things other than appearance, such attitude, self-confidence, and personality. I wish I had realized that when I was in college, instead of 10 years later! Try to focus on the positive things in your life, like having friends and a boyfriend. Those are the things that are truly important - acne may seem overwhelming right now, but skin problems will come and go.

With all that said, there are definitely steps you can take to fight acne. It does involve sacrifice - giving up some foods, plus plenty of time, and some money - but you can make improvements.

Here are some basic ideas:

1) You mentioned drinking lots of water and exercising. Those are definitely good ideas. I am actually now trying adding the apply cider vinagar to water - it can't hurt.

2) Cutting out all fatty foods, reducing sugar and dairy intake. That will minimize intake of things that trigger acne.

3) Substitute 'healthy-skin' foods such as lots of green veggies and healthy oils (eat salmon once or twice a week plus take oil capsules. I take 3 flaxseed pills, 1 gram each, spread out throughout the day, plus one fish oil capsule).

4) Drink a 'healthy-skin' tea every day. Usually one with Milk Thistle extract, since that cleanses your liver. I've heard that Republic of Tea's Get Gorgeous or Get Clean teas have helped some people on this site (but they are expensive).

5) If your problem is oiliness, you may want to try large doses of vitamin B5 to dry your skin out. Check out the B5 thread on one of the message boards.

6) Get lots of sleep and try to reduce stress.

7) Take "airborne" daily - it's a tablet of vitamins that dissolves in water. It's designed to prevent colds, but I've found that it helps skin look better.

8) Take a psyllium husk capsule at the end of every meal. That will help with regularity and may clean out your colon too. You don't have to do that indefinitely, but you certainly can.

9) See a good dermatologist to find out your options. Topical prescriptions may help, or possibly a mild antibiotic.

10) Use good skin care products. I highly recommend Paula's Choice products (found out about them on these message boards). They are great and she offers something for every skin type.

Finally, just try to be patient and realize that trial-and-error is what will help you figure out what works best for you. It takes time but if you want improvements badly enough to make the eating & lifestyle changes, then you CAN do it and get results!

Don't give up hope!!! Please keep us posted on your progress. If you have any questions (including about accutane, which should just be an absolutely last resort), please don't hesitate to get in touch. Take care and good luck! Happy Holidays!

you should relax

i'm being serious here. over stressing and freaking out is gonna do what for you?

it's easier said than done, but you just gotta chin up and stick your chest out

you should relax

i'm being serious here. over stressing and freaking out is gonna do what for you?

it's easier said than done, but you just gotta chin up and stick your chest out

take this advice, relaxing enhances your immune system!! thats where meditation and mantra may be helpful, also having acne can be stressfull to deal with itself, get your share of b12, b6 and magnesium, all boost serotonin production so your are less likely to get depressed. Acne can be interpreted by certain individuals as a major downer, but really who is to say it has to be anything?? its a free country, be ugly if you have to be, but be relaxed and cool about it.