Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aggie_girl

Retin A Micro vs. Retin A Gel

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on here and I have a couple of questions I am hoping you all can help me out with. I am 27 and have been on and off Retin A for about 15 years. First was the cream, then the Micro (combined with Accutane), and now the gel.

I have only started using the gel 0.01 (bought in Mexico) about a week ago, every other night. I figured the Micro and the gel would be a similar consistancy/texture/feel on the face but they are quite different. The gel is thicker than the Micro and soaks into my skin instantly when I rub it in. A feeling of almost like it is evaporating, see? The Micro was a thinner consistancy when squeezing out of the tube and it never absorbed so quickly as the gel. Has anyone else used both and has a personal experience of the textures/feel? Just a little concerned about the quality of the gel.

Also, when I apply Cetaphil moisturizer to my skin afterwards, the gel kinda balls up on my skin and easily peels away. I have even waited about 2 hrs after applying the gel to see if it still happened and it did. I hate to not moisturizer but I dont want the gel to mess up, so to speak. Hope I am making sense.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thank You!!!

My doctor switched me from the Micro to the 0.01 percent gel. I have been on the gel now three months. She said that it is stronger than the Retin-A Micro due to its base, even though the percentage makes it seem like it would be less strong. I have been really happy with the regular gel. I actually have gotten used to the consistency-- it's a lot easier to put less on, because it spreads much easier (and I have less irritation, I think because I really do only use a pea-size amount now). The gel seems to have faded red marks better, too. Overall, I've been happy with the gel. I do not use a moisturizer.

However, if you're concerned about the quality of your gel, I think you should try to get it from a dermatologist. It would also be safer to use when under the care of a physician. My doctor said you need to be careful that you get the true Retin-A gel, because there are a lot of fake ones out there. She said even the generic kind won't work very well.

Thanks for the reply AmandaJoy.

I too noticed that the gel is very easy to spread and doesn't take much to get the job done. Just a couple questions...Does the gel have an alcohol smell to it? And does it absorb very quickly into your skin?

Unfortunately, going to a derm is out of the question for me right now. No insurance combined with min. wage makes it nearly impossible!! And the tube does say Retin A gel with company logo on it, not just Trention (sp?). I know that doesn't prove it's real, but I've been having the typical side effects...dry skin, breakouts, especially where I normally don't break out. I guess only time will tell!

Anyways, thanks for the info!

aggie_girl:

Yes, it has a pretty strong alcohol smell to it. And yes, it absorbs VERY quickly. I am so happy with the gel...I only really have one trouble area on my face now since I started using Retin-A 0.01. It has really cleared up red marks, too, much quicker than the Micro. I'm not a fan of the Micro at all anymore. I wouldn't go back. In fact, the Micro alone pretty much ruined my skin, and it's taken a year to get it back to normal (thanks to Finacea and now the Retin-A regular gel). My skin almost improved overnight when I switched from the Micro to the 0.01 gel.

I didn't get an initial breakout when I switched to the regular Retin-A, but I think my skin is pretty much under control due to using Finacea along with the Retin-A. Anyway, my derm is a big fan of the Retin-A regular gel as opposed to the Micro, but said you have to pretty much start out with the Micro. I hope it works well for you!

AmandaJoy

quote name='aggie_girl' date='Dec 10 2008, 07:36 PM' post='2472928']

Thanks for the reply AmandaJoy.

I too noticed that the gel is very easy to spread and doesn't take much to get the job done. Just a couple questions...Does the gel have an alcohol smell to it? And does it absorb very quickly into your skin?

Unfortunately, going to a derm is out of the question for me right now. No insurance combined with min. wage makes it nearly impossible!! And the tube does say Retin A gel with company logo on it, not just Trention (sp?). I know that doesn't prove it's real, but I've been having the typical side effects...dry skin, breakouts, especially where I normally don't break out. I guess only time will tell!

Anyways, thanks for the info!