Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
daniaus

Is the sun good or bad for red marks?

BAD BAD BAD!

But get it anyways. Basically, getting the sun will temporarily make your red marks hard to see. If you get daily sun, you have nothing to fear.

What happens is the sun will further redden your marks.

I have TONS of red marks, but I still get tons of sun just because I am an out doors type of person.

If you do not go out often, and decide to go out for a few days while you have red marks, you have just significantly prolonged your red mark's life.

From my experience neither good nor bad. After spending 10h per day almost everyday in the sun this summer i can say my marks are pretty much as if i didn't have sun. That is, they're fading away as before.

BAD BAD BAD!

But get it anyways. Basically, getting the sun will temporarily make your red marks hard to see. If you get daily sun, you have nothing to fear.

What happens is the sun will further redden your marks.

I have TONS of red marks, but I still get tons of sun just because I am an out doors type of person.

If you do not go out often, and decide to go out for a few days while you have red marks, you have just significantly prolonged your red mark's life.

lol, i rarely see the sun now

Good so long as you don't get burnt. If your always out in the sun like the other poster said or slowly work up to the amount of time in the sun you shouldn't have to worry too much. Vitamin D from the sun is healing and most people are deficient.

Bad for red marks as they're more likely to turn brown and take longer to fade.

approximately 5-30 minutes of sun exposure between 10 AM and 3 PM at least twice a week to the face, arms, legs, or back without sunscreen usually lead to sufficient vitamin D synthesis and that the moderate use of commercial tanning beds that emit 2-6% UVB radiation is also effective [11,28]. Individuals with limited sun exposure need to include good sources of vitamin D in their diet or take a supplement.

Don't listen to her. She didn't even say a reason.

umm did you give a reason for your answer? I dont appreciate you dismissing my opinion like that, very rude and immature. My red marks always stayed much longer before I wore sunscreen, now they are pretty much gone and when I get a new one it goes away quickly. The sun darkens them.

I have done experiments on this. Trust me... Sun makes them worse. I ive in Orlando Florida. My 15 year old did 8 months of accutane. When we went to the beach...I WATCHED AND TIMED IT! with-in 10 min. the red marks were enhanced greatly!! I would get sooo upset and make him come out of the water every hour for more sunscreen. Then it took weeks to catch up to where he was. I was so glad for school to start so there would be no more free time and indoor classes and his skin would have a chance to heal. Now he is post three months accutane and his marks are fading a lot. Almost completly gone!! I had him put sunscreen on every morning on his jawline, Thats where his problem was. It has been worth it. I cant express enough to do this. Take this from someone who never thought acutane would work.

I have done experiments on this. Trust me... Sun makes them worse. I ive in Orlando Florida. My 15 year old did 8 months of accutane. When we went to the beach...I WATCHED AND TIMED IT! with-in 10 min. the red marks were enhanced greatly!! I would get sooo upset and make him come out of the water every hour for more sunscreen. Then it took weeks to catch up to where he was. I was so glad for school to start so there would be no more free time and indoor classes and his skin would have a chance to heal. Now he is post three months accutane and his marks are fading a lot. Almost completly gone!! I had him put sunscreen on every morning on his jawline, Thats where his problem was. It has been worth it. I cant express enough to do this. Take this from someone who never thought acutane would work.

wow are you really that stupid...you just admitted she was on accutane

everyone knows accutane makes you much much more sensitive to the sun

but anyways..get as much sun as you can people, it can only be benficial

"umm did you give a reason for your answer? I dont appreciate you dismissing my opinion like that, very rude and immature. My red marks always stayed much longer before I wore sunscreen, now they are pretty much gone and when I get a new one it goes away quickly. The sun darkens them."

Yes, i did. Read again.

Sorry for bringing doubt to your certainties, but you just proved i was right in dismissing your opinion. Can you prove it's the UV's/IR's that were making the red marks stay longer? No. It can be the moisturizing effect of sunscreen, it can be some chemical in it, it can be plenty of things of which the sun just happens to be one of them.

"umm did you give a reason for your answer? I dont appreciate you dismissing my opinion like that, very rude and immature. My red marks always stayed much longer before I wore sunscreen, now they are pretty much gone and when I get a new one it goes away quickly. The sun darkens them."

Yes, i did. Read again.

Sorry for bringing doubt to your certainties, but you just proved i was right in dismissing your opinion. Can you prove it's the UV's/IR's that were making the red marks stay longer? No. It can be the moisturizing effect of sunscreen, it can be some chemical in it, it can be plenty of things of which the sun just happens to be one of them.

Can your prove that the sun does not make yours better or worse? Are yours gone? My sunscreen in drying, definately not mouisturizing. And I always switch around sunscreens, its not this special formulation lol. If the sun darkens your skin, dont you think its a bit of a given that it will darken the spots as well? You didnt prove anything dude.... You have no facts except your opinion and no proof, you dont have the right to say Im wrong.

how dare you call her stupid? who do you think you are? some bitter pimply teen on a message board? She was just trying to help, this is a forum where people discuss their opinions. It was extremely uncalled for to call her stupid, what is your problem? Your word isn't the supreme answer to everything just because you read this forum and post 24/7. Reading this has made me decide to quit this board for good.........I cant handle this kind of patheticness, it makes me cringe. Not that anybody cares.

how dare you call her stupid? who do you think you are? some bitter pimply teen on a message board? She was just trying to help, this is a forum where people discuss their opinions. It was extremely uncalled for to call her stupid, what is your problem? Your word isn't the supreme answer to everything just because you read this forum and post 24/7. Reading this has made me decide to quit this board for good.........I cant handle this kind of patheticness, it makes me cringe. Not that anybody cares.

LOL I've been a member here for like a year and a half and have less than 100 posts

If thats on here posting 24/7, than I guess your right

"Can your prove that the sun does not make yours better or worse? Are yours gone? My sunscreen in drying, definately not mouisturizing. And I always switch around sunscreens, its not this special formulation lol. If the sun darkens your skin, dont you think its a bit of a given that it will darken the spots as well? You didnt prove anything dude.... You have no facts except your opinion and no proof, you dont have the right to say Im wrong."

I never said you were wrong. You just can't come here and say sun is bad for red marks without having a clue if it's true or not. That's called misleading, even if it's not intentional.

Sooo...i just found this on here:

Q: What can I do to hasten the fading of PIH?

With all topical and laser treatments for PIH there is a some risk of causing new outbreaks, new pigmentation problems and possibly even new scarring. Risk of these occurences will probably grow with increasing strength or invasiveness of topical or laser procedures. Some treatments are NOT suitable for people with active acne, sensitive skin or darker skin tones. You should investigate and weigh possible side effects against possible benefits. And discuss with your derm or doctor. There is no single treatment that works for everyone. The effectiveness of each treatments varies and treatments may have to be used in conjunction with each other.

If you are on Accutane you should not be using any topicals treatments except under the supervivion of your dermatologist.

Firstly - avoid sun exposure. Ultra Violet light can cause hyper-pigmented areas to darken further and thus prolong them. Use non-comedogenic facial moisturisers or facial sunscreens which contain a high SPF of at least 15+.

So i will be staying out of the sun for a year or so. I already wear sunscreen everyday, have for a year or so now. and if i go out into the sun i will wear a baseball cap :)

Most of us probably spend enough time in our daily commute to get enough sun. Maybe less so in the winter, between the intensity of the sun being decreased, and being more covered up.

Actually fballer twelve....I cant believe you called me stupid either. Besides if you could read it's a he not a she. Thanks Rebecca! He must be a disrespectful teen. Please dont give up on this site because of a few kids. I got a lot of help here. The sun truely does caue the red marks to worsen. My son is on the pale side right now but well worth it. His marks are almost gone. Let those who dont want to listin do it the hard way. Their loss. I'm just a mom trying to help and I'm far from stupid. Good luck eveyone!

I love when summer comes....it means lots of sun and clear skin...not just clear as in no acne, clear as in no scars and no acne

humans have been in the sun for the majority of the day for over a million years...i think we're pretty well evolved to be able to handle it, just like every other species on this earth who is out in the sun all day without sun screen and do just fine

sun screen=horrible

sun=good

get as much sun as you possible can

as an esthetician I never advise the sun as treatment for anything, while some sunlight is healthy, it will lead to more problems than red marks later on, always practice safe sun!!!!

The sun is supposed to make the marks worse, but if you are able to get a solid tan to cover it up, not sure how it would compare in the long run had you not gotten that tan