Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
f1fan87

SHAVING FOR MEN

i shave daily as i took dans advice from the video, to stop the hairs growing back too long and irritating skin, i seem to be breaking out again after 2 week tryin this method, im using my cleanser as a shave gel, but now im getting skeptical about the razor...

i live in uk...anyone recommend a good disposable razor, or give me some tips for when i do shave??

i currently use wilkinson sword disposable razor, says on the front 'sensitive' it has 2 blades.

I use Gillette Sensor Excel (2 blade) and it is awesome. I used to use the Mach 3 power but this razor is much better. Personally i think i get a closer shave as well as a more comfortable shave.

Before shaving i use a facial scrub to soften the beard then apply a good shaving cream (at the moment i am using Zirh shaving cream - good gear).

The facial scrub i use is made by Menscience, it is quite expensive but also pretty decent.

Cannot recommend Sensor Excel enough though ... wont revert back to 3 blade or 4 blade that they ridiculously have now!

Oh, the Sensor Excel isn't a disposable. If i was you i would stop using disposables full stop and by a razor that you will use all the time ... disposables are rubbish.

thanks mate,

but would a razor that i used all the time not pick up bacteria and dirt really quickly???

how often do u shave, and do u breakout after shaving? how do you shave aswell? i always breakout a lot on moushtache area and i duno how to stop it!

i find from personal experience that if i dont shave after 2-3 days i breakout more.

i read the dans regime thing and he says shaving daily cuts out the irritation of the hairs growing back....?

Im really confused on this subject...When i shaved it really agitates my skin but if i don't shave there is an increase in acne most of the time.

Is it okay to use an electric razor???Or is that bad?

thats how i feel donnie, if i dont shave for 2-3 days i breakout in the 'shaving' area...

and also, to the post above donnies....i dont need rubbing alcohol because i use disposable razors, after 1 shave its in the bin..

help!

thanks mate,

but would a razor that i used all the time not pick up bacteria and dirt really quickly???

how often do u shave, and do u breakout after shaving? how do you shave aswell? i always breakout a lot on moushtache area and i duno how to stop it!

The razor you use won't pick up dirt/bacteria quickly as long as you properly wash it after use. I tend to take 5 shaves with the same blade before changing to a new one. I make sure before i put it away that the blade is clean to the eye.

I shave about 2-3 days and don't notice that my shaving contributes to my acne. Do not get me wrong i still get spots here and there but i think they are developing regardless of my shaving technique.

I take pride in my shaving. My best discovery was using a facial scrub before shaving. It softens the beard up and makes shaving easy. I do this in the morning after a shower where the heat has also contributed to making my stuble soft, allowing for a better shave.

You want to shave with the grain. I shave in a downwards motion. If you shave against the grain then, in my opinion, you run the risk of over-irritation/razor burn/ingrown hairs which is all bad news. So if you are doing that in the moustache area .. stop! I never have to shave against the grain because i get a good shave due to my preperation.

Whilst foaming up i usually leave my razor in the hot water so that the blade is cleaned and also because i think its helps towards a better shave, i am sure i read it somewhere!

So in summary, go buy Gillette sensor excel (2 blade not 3), a facial scrub, half decent foam, and make sure to use hot water and keep the razor clean.

lol How can people use shaving gel? It's acne in a tube (think of it as junk food for your skin). Upgrade to a shaving soap, it might take a bit to get used to and a bit more time consuming, but it makes for a more pleasant, spot free and closer shave. Using a safety razor wouldn't hurt either although i've used the Gillette Sensor Exel (2blades) in the past without any problems. I also recommend using an alchol free aftershave balm rather than an aftershave.

oh and you really shouldn't be using a cleaner to shave with, your skin must be irratated as hell.

learn to shave guys

so by saying that your saying dan is doing it wrong on the video arent you?

thanks for the advice bane, anyone got a link as to the gilette sensor excel razor?

so are you using a facial cleanser like every night (to help acne) and using a separate facial scrub for when you need to shave???

thanks for the advice bane, anyone got a link as to the gilette sensor excel razor?

so are you using a facial cleanser like every night (to help acne) and using a separate facial scrub for when you need to shave???

Yeh i use a facial cleanser every morning and night. At the moment i am using a benzoyl peroxide active ingredient face wash. Prior to that i was using Menscience facial cleaser which has AHA/BHA ingredients namely salicyclic acid and glycolic acid.

I use a seperate facial scrub when i shave, however, this step replaces my morning use of facial cleanser. So, the scrub washes my face and also prepares my beard. Do not use a cleanser followed by a scrub because this will only intensify irritation.

Also, to note, its best to limit the use of a facial scrub to 2-3 times a week ... i try not to exceed that but i only use it when going for a shave which is like every 2-3 days.

Hope this helps dude.

Im really confused on this subject...When i shaved it really agitates my skin but if i don't shave there is an increase in acne most of the time.

Is it okay to use an electric razor???Or is that bad?

Darko, I don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't recommend using an electric razor. It certainly breaks me out in annoying little rash/spots, kind of like going against the grain with a regular razor and leaves me itchy.

Well the method obviously isn't working for you, is it? Otherwise you wouldn't be here. I just gave you some some advice, which has worked for me and others. Don't hear many tales of people with acne from shaving back when shaving soap and a safety razor were the only thing available do you? thats because soap is not packed full of chemicals and what not.

If you want to ignore my advice, cause 'Dan' knows best. Then feel free. :whistle:

I've found that almost any manual blade I use causes some trouble.

Instead, I think I'm now going to try an electric razor. Do you guys have any suggestions for brands/specific models? Or any technique advice or anything? I'm a complete noob.

Thanks, and sorry to hijack.

mini, im not sayin dan is right, but it cant be that bad because he wouldnt say its such a great method otherwise.

bane, hi mate, so u cleanse morn n night on normal days, then on the day u need to shave u cleanse in the morn then use the scrub at night before shaving? do u use a separate foam as a shaving lather?

i ask because it seems as tho that's 3 different things (cleanser,scrub,shave gel) applied on your face through the week, does that not cause irritation?

mini, im not sayin dan is right, but it cant be that bad because he wouldnt say its such a great method otherwise.

bane, hi mate, so u cleanse morn n night on normal days, then on the day u need to shave u cleanse in the morn then use the scrub at night before shaving? do u use a separate foam as a shaving lather?

i ask because it seems as tho that's 3 different things (cleanser,scrub,shave gel) applied on your face through the week, does that not cause irritation?

Generally i shave in the morning. So instead of using a cleanser i will use my scrub, wash my face, clean of the grit, and then apply my shaving cream. At night i will use my cleanser to get rid of the dirt accumulated throughout the day. (i like to shave in the morning straight after my shower)

This doesnt case irritation at all. Facial scrubs provide exfoilation to sweep away dead cells lying on the surface of the skin so it is quite a good idea to do anyway, regardless of shaving. However, i use the scrub before shaving because it softens up the beard to make for a close and comfortable shave. I have never used a facial cleanser or scrub as a substitute to a shaving foam, i do not think its a good idea. A good scrub followed by a good shaving foam/cream/soap is key, in my opinion, to getting a good shave.

ok mate, well, being from the UK like myself (manchester) which shaving gel do u recommend?

and which facial scrub for that matter!!

i have oily t zone, rest is normal/oily, and i breakout after shaves usually, so the less irritant the better!

thanks bud

I use an electric shaver. From experience it has done really well. I usually would shave my neck with a razor afterwards to get the spots I missed, but I noticed some flare-ups. In my opinion the electric shavers with three heads irritate skin, at least for me. I use a Braun shaver. Good luck with your experiments.

Shaving has been a nightmare for me. Through trial and error over the last 5 years I have evolved the only method which works for me(I get large cysts from ingrown hairs, shaving rash etc). I moisten my face with water, I then coat the shaving area with Panoxyl Wash 10. I then use either a Bic No 1 Sensitive or a Phillips HS8020 Coolskin(no nivea). The key is leaving the undiluted Panoxyl on your face and neck until you've finished. Probably not that good for the skin long term , however preferable to a face full of painful ingrown hairs and inflamed spots!

I find that daily shaving helps to keep my acne to a minimum. However, I don't use today's gels or electric shaving non-sense. You have to shave properly, shave the way men have shaved for generations... wet shave.

>>

Gels and electric razors can cause more irritation. I stick with the traditional shaving brush, soap, and razor. The brush has an added benefit of exfoliating your skin, so less dead skins cell is a plus. Any razor is fine as long as it is SHARP! I use Van Der Hagen's glycerin based soap as it lathers up real nicely. Anyways, check out the youtube video, that guy knows what he is talking about.