Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m1n1

Mission: Say Good Bye to Acne

Updates

Nov. 16, 2008

• Been on Dan Kern's acne regime for 4 months.
  • Started using Darn Kern's AHA+.
  • Rotate Dan Kern's cleanser with home-made Olive Oil Scrub & Jason Tea Tree Gentle Cleanser .

Brief History

Well, my name is Mini. I'm 19 years old and I've been battling acne for almost five years now. Like many of you, my acne started at very beginning of high school. Throughout freshmen and most of my sophomore year, I had a problem with a few blackheads on my nose and the occasional white head near my upper lips and forehead. Looking back, I was simply paranoid about my skin even though my acne wasn't that bad at all. I simply used Neutrogena and Clearisil to treat those icky pimples. It wasn't that bad until tenth grade when I started having breakouts after breakouts.

Huge cysts started and what not, and my parents decided to make an appointment with the dermatologist. He prescribed me donocycline, and after five good months, I was pretty cleared up. I only had a few scars left behind and absolutely no pimples during the summer of 2005. :dance:

However, shortly after junior year began, my pimples started coming back because I was stupid enough to stop taking the pills. Instead of going back to my skin regime, my obsession grew and I started to try all different things (sometimes all at once) to make my acne disappear again: Proactiv, apple cider vinegar and baking soda regime, over-the-counter products (again), vitamins and fish oil pills, etc. Most of the things that I thought would solve my problem only made it worse.

It was only a year ago that I decided to stop everything and started Dan Kern's acne regime. In addition to Dan's skin-care routine, I also had my pimples professionally extracted by an experienced skin expert, which did wonders to my skin. Currently, my skin is 90% clear. I still have a lot of ice-pick scars and a few deeper scars, but overall, I'm so much happier than I was before in my high school years. Just remember, don't lose hope and keep fighting. I'm not giving up and neither should you.

Main problems:

• Severe body acne
  • Brown spots; hyperpigmentation
  • Extreme oiliness
  • Visible scarring

Recent Pictures

Cleansing Routine

Day

Jason Tea Tree Gentle Cleanser

• Very gentle
  • Use 2-3 times a week, switch with DRK's cleanser
  • Contains tea tree oil, organic olive oil, aloe, lavender
  • Controls oil very well
DRK's Treatment
  • 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide
  • Use 1 bump on my whole face
DRK's Moisturizer
  • Non-comedogenic
  • Use half a bump on my whole face
  • Mix 2 drops of DRK's Jojoba Oil
Night

Home-made Olive Oil Scrub

• Olive oil helps with dry skin from BP
  • Honey treats acne
  • Sugar exfoliates the dead skin
DRK's Treatment
  • 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide
  • Use 1 bump on my whole face
DRK's AHA+
  • Non-comedogenic
  • Use it as a moisturizer/treatment

Supplements

• (1) Zinc - 50 mg
  • (1) Vitamin E - 400 IU
  • (1) Caltrate (Vitamin D - 400 IU, Calcium - 600 mg)
  • (4) Fish Oil (EPA - 180 mg, DHA -120 mg)
  • (1) Super B-Complex w/ Vitamin C*
With Super B-Complex w/ Vitamin C, it has:
  • Vitamin C - 150 mg
  • Thiamin - 100 mg
  • Riboflavin - 20 mg
  • Niacin - 25 mg
  • Vitamin B6 - 2 mg
  • Folic Acid - 400 mcg
  • Vitamin B12 - 15 mcg
  • Biotin - 30 mcg
  • Pantothenic Acid - 5.5 mg
Note: I decided to go back on tetracycline, and I've been taking it since October 2008.

Nov. 17 - 24

Product Updates

I started using Zapzyt Acne Wash on my body. It has a very nice lather, which is perfect. It's gentle and it leaves my skin feeling fresh.

It has:

• 2% Salicylic acid
  • Aloe vera
  • Chamomile

Entry - Nov. 24, 2008

Woot! I just finished my last Biology midterm today! Unfortunately, after a week of staying up long nights, junk food, and stress, my skin acted up again. I guess I had to sacrifice something so that I could pull up my grades.

I guess it's time to pull up the big boys:

• My steamer (i.e. electric hot pot)
  • Home-made aspirin mask
  • Algae mask
They're my secret weapons against acne induced by high levels of stress.

Pictures

post-23892-1227561089_thumb.jpgpost-23892-1227561102_thumb.jpg

post-23892-1227561319_thumb.jpgpost-23892-1227567778_thumb.jpg

Right now, I have this two huge cysts on my neck: one in the front and the other on the back. Reddish blotches and bumps started forming around my cheeks and near my ears. Also, my skin has been really dry and itchy from the cold weather. :cry:

Does anyone know of any non-comedogenic moisturizer or lotion that helps with itchiness? I have pretty bad body acne as well, so I don't want to use greasy stuff that would clog my pores.

post-23892-1227561089_thumb.jpg

post-23892-1227561102_thumb.jpg

post-23892-1227561319_thumb.jpg

post-23892-1227567778_thumb.jpg

August 2009

Update from a Year-Long Hiatus

Wow, I can't believe I'm back on acne.org!

I've been so busy lately that I haven't been able to keep up this log whatsoever. I guess I have some good news and bad news, summer 2009 hasn't been treating me very well. I suppose it's been my fault for running out of supplies and not keeping up with my regimen. I had several breakouts of cysts on my nose, one after the other. It was insane! My acne had never been that bad ever.

And of course, I popped them with the blemish extractor I got from Sephora this year.

BAD IDEA! That left me with a lot of icepick scars on my nose and of course hyper pigmentation. But I guess it's back under control. Recently, this month, I've had several breakouts between my eyebrows and on my jaw.

The good news is my butt acne is under control! Hurray. Hopefully, if my butt is still clear by the end of this year, then I might consider some scar treatments on my butt. Haha.

I'm strictly back on Dan's Regimen. Let's see if I can improve this until classes start.

I will also be on Zinc (50 mg) and Fish Oil capsules (3-4 g) a day.

This week, my skin has been recovering from a bad breakout I had a week ago. I still have some cysts between my eyebrows and on my forehead. But, the cysts on my jaw are flattening. Woohoo!

post-23892-1250793602_thumb.jpg

post-23892-1250793607_thumb.jpg

post-23892-1250793613_thumb.jpg

post-23892-1250793602_thumb.jpg

post-23892-1250793607_thumb.jpg

post-23892-1250793613_thumb.jpg