Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
truckg

Excision and Fat Transfer/Grafting for Depressed Acne Scars

Anyone have any good experiences with excision and fat transfer for depressed acne scars?

I have read that fat transfer can potentially be semi-permanent if performed a certain way. However, it seems there is also the risk of the fat getting absorbed with time.

Would the effect of the fat transfer be similar to how it would look if someone had a hyaluronic acid-based filler injected into the depressed acne scars? I have read that fillers like juvederm don't work so great for acne scars since the filler can settled in around the scar, creating a saucer or donut like effect that makes the scar even more noticeable with time. Would fat transfer/grafting used as a filler behave the same way?

Anyone have any good experiences with excision and fat transfer for depressed acne scars?

I have read that fat transfer can potentially be semi-permanent if performed a certain way. However, it seems there is also the risk of the fat getting absorbed with time.

Would the effect of the fat transfer be similar to how it would look if someone had a hyaluronic acid-based filler injected into the depressed acne scars? I have read that fillers like juvederm don't work so great for acne scars since the filler can settled in around the scar, creating a saucer or donut like effect that makes the scar even more noticeable with time. Would fat transfer as a filler behave the same way?

I just posted about my scar excision that happened today- and I'll update as it heals. As for fat- I wanted it, but two cosmetic surgeons told me it is not suitable for acne scars -I've forgotten why, sorry. I was told to consider Juvederm if I'm not happy w the excision. I cannot afford the $500.00 per syringe every 5-6 months though- that's crazy to consider. All of my hope is in the excision I just had and the follow-up spot dermabrasion. I stress dermabrasion NOT micro-dermabrasion, which is a scam.

Hi truckg..I would suggest doing some research. If you can find a Plastic Surgeon who processes the fat properly before injecting, fat is known to last a long time. Problem is, all docs are going to say they process it properly...sorry to be a downer, but its the truth.

As for me, I had a fat transfer a few years ago. I was thrilled at first . My face was a bit fuller and my deep atrophic scars were diminished to the extent I didn't think about them any more...it was great!, but the fat lasted only 2-3 months for me and then it was back to the pits. Tons of $$$ down the drain.

After much research (in hindsite), I learned my PS was a quack and was known not to process the fat properly..this is why it reabsorbed so fast.

if you would like further reading on fat transfers..this doc is honest, in the know on fat transfers, has good rapor with his patients, in other words- EXCELLENT!

...if i lived in Texas, Dr. Lam would be my PS.. check out his Q&A forum, its quite interesting and he actually answers all questions asked =)

Excisions can work out good or bad..it all depends on how you heal, the stitching and the precision of the PS. I have had both. Worst case scenario? you would have to have the excision redone. Not really a big deal, just more time consuming and more money to spend. In the end the results are usually worth it. Its the quickest way to get rid of an atrophic scar in my opinion.

I also have had Radiesse injected by a PS...it donuted around my scars.

Yet, I injected Restylane by myself and it worked out great with no donut effect...its all a crap shoot.

Good luck with your excision indigenous!

I hope it heals up nicely for you =)

Hey Kaori, just a quick question...the Restylane you injected, what kind of scarring did you inject into (ie ice pick, rolling etc), and how much of a benefit did you see upon the scar? Thanks!

Hey Kaori, just a quick question...the Restylane you injected, what kind of scarring did you inject into (ie ice pick, rolling etc), and how much of a benefit did you see upon the scar? Thanks!

Hi crzyakta, I injected Resty into boxcar and rolling scars. I would say the improvement was at least 90% for the first week (probably due to micro-swelling) the next couple weeks after, i would estimate a 75% improvement. Sadly, it lasted only a month to 5 weeks on me. I was really pleased with the improvement Resty gave, but i'm too afraid to self inject again (fear of the needle breaking freaks me out..lol)

Icepick scars are really deep and tiny..unfortunately, fillers will do nothing for them.

For icepicks, punch excision is a quick and permanent solution....

...and your very welcome :)

Dr. Lam seems very knowledgable and he appears to be a good PS, but he doesn't use fat transfer for acne scars. He uses it for volume restoration, you know, anti-aging technique. He seems to get great results using that technique judging from his before and afters. But you know, using fat for a large area is much easier than for scars, where you have to be much more precise. I know two people here who have had silicone done by him, which he routinely uses for acne scars and the one guy who posted his pics...his results were pretty remarkable, I have to admit. But, you know, everyone is different. Like Kaori said, it's a crapshoot.

By the way, since you're thinking of fat transfer, what about dermal grafts. I have heard great success from the people who have had it done. Downside is finding someone who does it routinely and does it well. It is very skill dependent, but if you can find someone who is good, I think it would be worth it. I am looking into doing it during my winter break, when time permits.

Good Luck!

hey Datura,

The silicone injections, are they temp fillers or are they used to promote collagen formation (ie permanent results)?

Thanks

I thought silicone injections for wrinkles and acne scarring were not an approved usage as they can lead to more complications than not? (Lumpy skin, allergic reactions including some inconclusive reports of systemic lupus development, adhesions, scar tissue, etc).

Kaori, thanks for the very informative post! And Datura, thanks for the other perspective as well.

hey Datura,

The silicone injections, are they temp fillers or are they used to promote collagen formation (ie permanent results)?

Thanks

They're permanent. If you do a search on silicone here, you'll find a lot of stories.

I thought silicone injections for wrinkles and acne scarring were not an approved usage as they can lead to more complications than not? (Lumpy skin, allergic reactions including some inconclusive reports of systemic lupus development, adhesions, scar tissue, etc).]

Wynne, you're right, silicone isn't approved for cosmetic use. Docs use it off label and there is always the risk for allergic complications. And granulomas could always show up years later. The rate of complications are low with the microdroplet technique, and an experienced doctor, but they are there and they're real. It's up to the patient to decide if it's worth it.

In terms of it's effectiveness in treating scars, though, from the testimonials I've read, I think it's one of the few treatments that's actually yields substantial results for most.

Thank you very much for the info about Dr. Lam. I'll have to look more into him.

Someone else mentioned that he may not use fat grafting for acne scars. Does anyone know of any very skilled docs in California who perform fat grafting (or dermal grafts, which is what someone else suggested) for acne scars?

Hi truckg..I would suggest doing some research. If you can find a Plastic Surgeon who processes the fat properly before injecting, fat is known to last a long time. Problem is, all docs are going to say they process it properly...sorry to be a downer, but its the truth.

As for me, I had a fat transfer a few years ago. I was thrilled at first . My face was a bit fuller and my deep atrophic scars were diminished to the extent I didn't think about them any more...it was great!, but the fat lasted only 2-3 months for me and then it was back to the pits. Tons of $$$ down the drain.

After much research (in hindsite), I learned my PS was a quack and was known not to process the fat properly..this is why it reabsorbed so fast.

if you would like further reading on fat transfers..this doc is honest, in the know on fat transfers, has good rapor with his patients, in other words- EXCELLENT!

...if i lived in Texas, Dr. Lam would be my PS.. check out his Q&A forum, its quite interesting and he actually answers all questions asked =)

Excisions can work out good or bad..it all depends on how you heal, the stitching and the precision of the PS. I have had both. Worst case scenario? you would have to have the excision redone. Not really a big deal, just more time consuming and more money to spend. In the end the results are usually worth it. Its the quickest way to get rid of an atrophic scar in my opinion.

Yet, I injected Restylane by myself and it worked out great with no donut effect...its all a crap shoot.

Hi Sound of Silence

I am very impressed that the Radiesse you injected yourself - did not donut! That is amazing!!! I had restylane and perlane injected by two different drs - and each time it donuted. Have you injected yourself again with similar results? Have you tried silicone yet?

This is the first time I've heard of this filler "donuting" phenomenon. What causes it? Are there ways to avoid it happening? I was considering topping my scars off with fillers if my Total Fx doesn't work as much as I'd like.

This is the first time I've heard of this filler "donuting" phenomenon. What causes it? Are there ways to avoid it happening? I was considering topping my scars off with fillers if my Total Fx doesn't work as much as I'd like.

From what I have learned - if you have deep depressions where the scar is somewhat tethered down the filler seeks the place of least resistance and simply goes around the scar ending up in the surrounding tissue making the scar look worse. This may not happen to you if you scars are more superficial. Mine do not appear to be tethered down - they pass the strwtch test, meaning if you stretch the skin around the scar it goes away. But the filler donutted anyway. I have two scars that are the broad rolling type but very very deep. suposedly silicone does not do this quite as much