Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BarBQLover

Back from the Dead

Hello all! I haven't posted here for, jeez, must be about 2 months now and I don't notice too many familiar names, but I figure I might as well drop a line today.

I see that copper peptides and exfol serum and glycolic peels have been getting quite a bit of attention here, so I'll add my 2 cents:

So far, I haven't noticed much change at all using copper peptides. My head has been swirling with all the things I should include in my skin care regimen to the point where I don't even think I care anymore. Consider: I use Retin-A at night, which is a pretty powerful exfoliant on its own. However, I tried to use Exfol serum during the day in the scarred areas, then a light amount of Retin-A at night (I used to use too much Retin-A in the past.....waaaayyy too much). I would then put the CP serum over this at night. However, I received the super copper cream from Skin Biology and tried it on my face, even though it's not advised to do this since your skin will be stained blue. I figured since this is the strongest copper peptide solution out there, then skin healing would take on grander proportions. Hell, to even prove how strong the super cop cream was, you could really feel it when applied to your skin, much more so than the regular CP serum.

However, after all this, there still was little visible improvement. So I figured I would give the 30% glycolic peel kit a try once again. My problem, I believed, was not the Copper Peptides, but that I wasn't using a strong enough hydroxy acid. Yet, my chief dilemma was: How do a glycolic peel on the scarred areas while still trying to use Retin-A without causing unnecessary irritation??? Well, for the past 4 weeks I tried to juggle all of these concerns, once again applying CP serum instead of the Super Cop.......I know 4 glycolic peels are not enough to make a true difference, but I honestly believe that all of this trouble is to no avail.

Maybe it's been the harsh winter cold and the continual dryness inside my house, but my face seems to be easily irritable to the point where it will be burning during the night, making me wish I could crack open a window or turn on a fan. I could easily make this trade-off if my scars actually were seeing improvement, but I can't say they have.

Therefore, I'm going to reassess this whole situation in the next few days and I'm leaning toward just sticking to my old regimen of gentle cleanser, moisturizer, and Retin-A. I'll think I'll just resign myself to the fact that since I'm a guy, having good skin is something I shouldn't really expect and shouldn't have my life revolve around trying to achieve this goal. I mean, quite a few of my scars look like enlarged pores around my nose and on my forehead as it is.

Anybody have any advice or success stories with copper peptides which will give me the fortitude to give it another try??

Hey BarbQ nice to see you back. Did you get my PM?

My order with makeupartists.com got screwed up twice - so I have no experience with the cp and serums - and after reading your story I will stay away from them.

Back to the Laser for me again this summer - and I can't wait.

Did you get hooked up with that couriers job?

Hey Gus old buddy!

I did get your message, but I haven't really been lurking around here that much and writing a message about acne and scars is not exactly something I look forward to typing, you know?! Sorry, though, I should have been more considerate of an old friend.....

Your order screwed up twice?? Must be the problems of overseas deliveries, but still.....

You see, I feel like I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place for the most part. On one hand, I'm sick of all of these damn scar reduction products which promise results, then never deliver. Life is a lot simpler when I don't have to worry about applying serums and when is the best time to do a glycolic peel. On the other hand, I would just hate to give up Skin Bio's products without giving them that much time to work. I've been using them since early November, nearly 3 months, I believe, and there is hardly any reason to look forward to better results.

This disappoints me a bit since I see so many people raving about CP serum and that Dr. Pickart really seemed to know what he was talking about on his very informative web site. I have read other people getting rid of some of their scars, especially with the TriReduction product, but I would hate to have to invest in more money and time for something that may not work. Pickart also advises the use of stronger hydroxy acids to help with the scars, but if this is the case, then why doesn't his company sell these stronger acids or incorporate them into the products?? I also have disliked where I have asked him rather detailed questions and his answers always seem to range along the likes of "using hydroxy acids long enough with copper peptides can get rid of any scar. However, you might have to use stronger glycolic peels." When I asked him if Retin-A can actually cancel out the effects of copper peptides since Retin-A he says helps produce the scar-producing hormone, TGF-Beta, he gives me the same "I believe Retin-A is useless for scars."

So I'm really not sure what to do next, but I'm pretty sure I'll give the CP serum usage a break for now. I think I may try the TriReduction since, IMO, I can't really believe CP serum would actually get rid of any scars.

Oh, BTW Gus, I didn't do the courier thing since I really don't have the car for that type of job. I've pretty much resigned myself to the idea of security, again.

BarBQLover

I first had glycolic peels done 2 years ago at a beauty clinic (I do home peels now) and the beautician told me that Glycolic and Retinol (as in Retna-A/Retinova) should NOT be used at the same time. She said that both together would cause a lot of irritation to the skin. So be careful OK?

Nice to see you back :D

Maya

Hi Maya, good to see your name again!

Yeah, I realized this about glycolic acid/Retin-A. Even though the owner of makeupartistschoice.com told me that I could still use Retin-A along with the glycolic, I was highly suspicious. Exfoliation to the max, I figured at the time, and I think I've been feeling that irritation a bit the past week or so, no matter how careful I've tried to be. I'm pretty much done with the glycolic peels for good, methinks.

Oh, by the way, Maya, you're doing a great job as moderator :wink:

BarBQLover how bad is your scars? maybe some people that rave so much about the product is because they have mild scarring and it took em a shorter time to see result, if your face has deep DEEP holes, you cant really expect to get result fast...

BBQ,

I have been using the tri-reduction with retinol and exfol serum for a month now.

Yes it's still realistically too early to give definitive results but I have noted a slight improvement.

I think you need to be very patient and really come to terms with the fact, as it stands at the moment, that no matter what you use to treat scars the technology and understanding of scar tissue is not yet at the stage where complete eradication is achievable.

I don't mean to be cynical but after many years having many different treatments and consultations the fact still remains that as of today there is no treatment available that will eradicate scarring to such a degree that it is not noticeable at all.

Obviously it is all subjective and yes from time to time you hear or read someone having great success but the reality is that person most probably is mistaking "deep scarring" or "atrophic scarring" for blemishes or very superficial scarring that responds to the current levels of treatment.

The scarring I refer to is high level and that is very difficult to treat with topicals and laser. I have had heaps of laser treatments and I can tell you that the most improvement I have had in terms of percentages in any one treatment is about 10-15%.

Sure everyone is different but facts are facts and I have yet to become aware of anyone that has had very bad scarring removed either by laser or topicals.

On a more positive note, I think that we are experiencing a time where great advances are being made in terms of skin-research and treatments and after reading much literarature on skin-rejuvenation and scar management and treatments I think that we have a better chance than ever to soon benefit in terms of complete eradication and rejuvenation.

U

I noticed you are using retin-a along with the tri reduction and you wondered it it might interfere with the tri-reduction. I'm having good results results for old depressed/pitted scars. I'm not using retin-a. I do have retinol mixed into the copper peptide in my bottle and am using the 2% sal acid with it. why are you using the retin-a? Is it something you are needing for your skin? Maybe you could try tri-reduction without the retin-a? Also, can you have retinol in your copper peptide? It's suppose to be a stronger formula when the retinol is in it. As long as I continue to improve I'll stay with the 2 % salicylic. If I do reach a standstill I will then move to the 30% gly acid. Maybe there is something you just need to change or include in your usage of topicals.You may have read my posts at skinbiology's forum site. I've been reading acne.org site from time to time for quite a while and decided to register here just now so that I could respond to your recent post here.

I'm really thinking that retin-a could interfere with your tri-reduction. And would I be having good results if I didn't have the retinol mixed into my copper peptides I don't know. It's something to think about.

Catlover,

Welcome aboard. I visit the Delphi forums every now and then, but I just end up getting more confused and wondering which products I should use! I use Retin-A since I still suffer from acne(I'm only 22) and without it, well, I would probably have more scarring! I haven't tried TriReduction yet, since I was advised by Dr. Pickart to only try the Exfol serum and CP serum for my scars since the creams contain lipids and can lead to more breakouts, but I would only try it for spot treatment. I've been thinking about giving this a try, but wanted to try the Exfol, CP, Super Cop, and then 30% glycolics at first.

I don't expect rapid improvement, that's for sure, but I would have liked to see some improvement. So maybe I'll look into TriReduction soon, but without retinol since I tried the CP Night Eyes and realized that the retinol in their is not friendly to younger skin.

Understood, well said! A complete skin regenerative procedure is something you would figure could be feasible in the near future, yet all we see are laser surgeries and subcisions that produce mediocre results. I hope and pray for that total cure one day, as well.

Tai, my scars probably aren't that bad, but we all make them out to be worse than they are, I'm sure. It's strange because my cheeks, the usual scarred area for many, are fine, while it's my forehead and the areas around my nose which have scars. I mentioned my scars to the derm and he said "What scars?" and kind of chuckled when I showed him the Skin Bio products. Most folks I have asked about my scars don't see anything since they're the type that you need to have your nose to the mirror to see, but I have plenty of small ice pick type holes in my forehead, along with a crater on either side of my nose which are the most noticeable. The rest of my scars probably resemble large pores, so I'm not totally sure. Another part of my problem is that my overall skin, I feel, doesn't look that great, with ingrown hairs in my beard area which will only go away if I have the hairs permanently removed, as well as just an uneven skin tone that doesn't look that smooth in some mirrors.

Cheers

Hey BBQ,

I was wondering what the heck happened to you. All of a sudden you just stopped posting, I thought maybe you got lost in cyber space or something. :D Good to see you are back! Bummer you aren't having luck with the products. I'm really getting good results from the exfol serum. I put both products on generously and I actually feel a little tingle with each. Maybe you aren't laying it on thick enough?

Hi BBQ,

I don't usually advocate microdermabrasion, but if you really don't have scars, and just have uneven skin tone, and large pores..it may help you alot. Also, I'm wondering why the retin-a didn't even out your skin tone.

Hi Laet! Cyberspace is an awfully big place these days, but I don't get lost anymore since I just stick to the streets that I know! Good to hear from you, as well....it feels good to post here again since everybody is no nice and civilized(of course, sometimes I break that trend myself :? )

emmanuel,

I've considered microdermabrasion, mostly the at-home creams, but I really believe that the way my face is right now, nothing short of surgery will do much for it. Honestly, it doesn't seem to change at all no matter what different products I may put on.......ok, one change may be that skin gets irritated and red from some stuff, but otherwise, hardly any changes.

I use .025% Retin-A and it has helped a great deal. The strange thing, though, is that in the morning when I wake up, my skin looks incredibly smooth and clear. However, after I wash my face and apply moisturizer(both Oil of Olay products), then I notice the scars,large pores, and more importantly, discoloration and bumpiness a little bit more. I was thinking maybe I'm allergic to something in Olay, but I can't really picture myself going without a moisturizer and would hate to experiment with more stuff only to be further disappointed. I remember when I used to have to go to work at my college's recreation center on the weekend, I would just wake up and wash my face and not bother with moisturizer and I never seemed to have a problem. Hmmm....

BBQ,

If you suspect that the moisturiser that you are currently using is even slightly non-alligned to your skin type then I would suggest experimentation on another.

One step, one discovery equals a slight rectification.

Maybe not directly to the actual scar but at least to the environment it lives, and I am sure that assists responsiveness to added treatment.

I would recommend taking at look at skin-biologys emu oil, calypso oil and squalene. Read up on them. They sound like they are formed with purpose.

As for cleansing I have read on various forums that others really vouch for Carly's Cleanser (something like that). I have used the cleansing emulsion from Babor (made in germany) for over 18 years and it's excellent. Will definitaley not aggravate skin or cause outbreaks.

U