Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
punkrockprincess

Hoping that the third time's a charm

Hey all..

So as you can see by the title.. this is my third shot at Accutane, and I'm only 21! If you want to know a little more about my first two courses, I kept logs for each of them on this site, so feel free to check them out. I have no regrets about either of them but each time my acne seems to come back (albeit less severe, I'd say it's moderate right now). Anyways, I am apprehensive about taking such a potent drug for the third time and of course I'm concerned that there's an underlying issue that's causing my acne that I'm missing. But my experiences with the drug the first two times were fine - despite the nuisance side effects of dry lips and hands (I always seem to be taking this stuff in the dead of the Canadian winter too.. how is that?!), and a bit of a sore back, I had no complaints and nothing lasting.

I mentioned to my doctor that perhaps I should have my hormones checked, but because I've been on the pill for so many years she said that the test results won't be overly informative as my hormones are regulated. She had me on antibiotics for the last month and a half (Minocin 100mg twice daily) but it seems to have only a minimal effect. I've probably taken 5 courses of the stuff too, over my life time, and ideally I don't want to continue taking antibiotics long term. So anyways given that I'm running out of options (I won't even go through the laundry list of topicals I've tried, plus I'm intolerant to benzoyls 'cause I turn a nice shade of beet red..), I asked her if I could try Accutane again. She seemed a bit hesitant but wrote me a lab req, and told me to come off the Minocin if I wanted to look at starting it again.

I also visited my laser dermatologist for a second opinion and he took one look at me and said Accutane. Apparently he said some patients need three (and even four?!) courses to achieve lasting results. He also recommended concurrent treatment with the Cynergy laser, which is basically pulse-dye/YAG and targets vascular red marks and brown marks that often get left behind after acne. Unfortunately my skin is the type that marks easily so currently I have a nice collection of red/brown marks that will take ages to fade on their own. So despite the fact that this laser is ridiculously expensive (I won't tell you what I'm paying per tx) I'm going to have my first treatment next week in hopes that it'll get me looking much better sooner than I would be on my own.

So, I stopped the Minocin yesterday and am now waiting 2 weeks until my period hits in order to start Accutane once again. I have to get my bloodwork done, probably sometime next week, and as I mentioned I'm having my first laser tx (that's Friday). Any comments and feedback, especially from those who have taken multiple Accutane courses, would be much appreciated!

Good luck to everyone!

Lisa

P.S. I do plan to post pictures even though I struggle big time with technology and sometimes suck at posting them.. but looks like the uploading system got a bit more straightforward so I will make an effort to get pics up every 2 weeks or so once I've started the treatments.

Hey all,

Sooo I see some views but nobody has posted yet so I'm still replying to myself but that's cool!! Anyways just a brief update.. on the skin front, things are maintaining at a steady state of crappy! Basically I get a breakout, it starts to heal, a few days pass, I get another breakout, it starts to heal, and repeat. The end result is an ever-accumulating collection of post inflammatory marks, for sure.. hopefully no new scars, I already have some mild scarring in a few places from prior to my first course of Accutane although apparently I'm the only one who notices it.. All I'm doing at the moment is using my Neostrata glycolic toner 8% in the morning, and clindet (clindamycin phosphate solution) pads twice a day, and spot treating with a really mild benzoyl (Benoxyl 5%) which my skin semi-tolerates (i.e. turns me red but not beet red!).

Otherwise, I am just trying to sit tight and keep a brave face on and continue to do all the things I normally do in my life. I have noticed that I am feeling much more self conscious and each morning I have to kind of give myself a push to get going. I am definitely down on myself and that bothers me.. normally I am very upbeat and social, always with a full schedule and loving what I'm doing. Now I'm feeling increasingly preoccupied and worried about my skin and it's taking away from those things. Overall, I cannot wait to get on Accutane!!

Anyways I'm rambling now. The last thing with any point that I wanted to do was set up a little time line of what'll be coming up in this log in the next little while (mostly for myself :P considering none of you have posted yet!!). So...

Nov 11 - saw doc at my regular acne clinic, got req for bloodwork

Nov 14th - saw laser dermatologist, booked Cynergy tx, stopped Minocin

Nov 18th - go for bloodwork - hmm that means I actually have to stop eating like.. right NOW! Damn! I was going to do my bloodwork later because doing it tomorrow means that it'll be right on the two week mark before my menstrual cycle starts, and the doc says it has to be done within two weeks. I'm sure it'll be fine. And seeing as how I just spilled the remainder of the glass of juice I stopped drinking when I realized the time.. I'll take that as a sign to stop eating/drinking anything other than water and go for poking tomorrow morning.

Nov 20th - if I can get up the nerve to take and post pics of the shittiness that is my face, I will do so

Nov 21st - first Cynergy tx

Dec 2nd - "that time of the month" begins.. usually not a fun time, but this time I'll be happy when it comes around!

Okay so that was exhausting and congrats if anyone is actually still reading.. this was a useful thing for me to do as I tend to be a bit haphazard/fly by the seat of my pants. At least now I have a plan.

Cheers to all!

Lisa

Thanks for commenting on my log! I hope everything goes well for you the third time around. How bad did your acne come back the previous times? When do you start this course?

Good luck with the laser treatment! I've never gone that route because of the expense, but i've always been curious.

Hey flb16! You're welcome and thanks for returning the comment - the community here is really great and supportive and it's nice to connect with people who really understand.

Anyways, my acne DEFINITELY did not come back anywhere near as severe as I had it before I took Accutane the first time. I'd say moreso mild-moderate. I actually stopped my acne meds over the summer (my doc had me on Tazorac and I stopped because I was outside a lot and afraid of burning). I think that was a bad idea. When I went back to my doc in Sept she put me back on Tazorac and then I guess everything that had built up under the skin during the summer ALL started to come out. Hopefully I'll get pics up later this week.

Thanks so much for the wishes! I've had laser done before so I'm not too apprehensive - I just hope it works 'cause as you mentioned, it is crazy expensive!!

Cheers and hope your course continues going smoothly!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Such is this terrible problem that we'll do anything to get rid of it. I read your posts and I wish you luck for your 3rd go with Accutane. I have taken Accutane once before 3 yrs back, but I stopped after 1 month. I wasn't much aware at that time. But this time round I am going to do the complete course and hope it shows me better days. I too have moderate acne but damn it sucks. Its so depressing that I have to hide myself in house over the weekends.

One thing I would advice you is to give proper attention to your health in general. Besides all arguments Accutane has got some long term side effects, which could be easily overcome if you maintain a good health. Don't forget your regular exercise, thats very important.

Enjoy life.

Hey Pity26 (I feel weird calling people by their screennames but eh..)!! Thanks so much for your post - and good luck on getting through a full course of Accutane! When do you start exactly? I know you said in your thread that you're seeing your derm in less than a week's time.

I know what you mean re: the desperation of things and what we're willing to do to get rid of acne - some days I wonder why I'm willing to subject my body to such a potent drug (again) over a cosmetic problem. However, at the same time, I know my personality - I can be perfectionistic and I tend to stress about things that bother me, and above all I'm a do-er - if something is getting to me, I go about trying to find solutions to get things back on track. "Letting it be" is not really my strong point, although I still wonder if I should try that this time. I know that I am risking potential long term sides, but I also know that I don't want to be wasting more of my life and thoughts on what my face is looking like.

Anyways, I totally agree with what you said about keeping a great lifestyle - strangely enough I was going to include some of my plans for that in my next post so it's interesting and coincidental that you brought it up. I do have a pretty good lifestyle in general, I eat well and up until things got crazy at university and w/ my face about 2 months ago, I was hitting the gym 4 or so times a week. So you've encouraged me to sit down and come up with some goals to get started with that again.

Cheers and keep me updated on how your course is going if you have the time!

Lisa

Nov 19/08

So, a quick update on where I'm at.. I had my bloodwork done yesterday morning despite an hour long wait which caused me to miss a few minutes of my 9 am class. Wasn't too thrilled about that but at least it got done and I don't have to deal with fasting again for at least a little while. Otherwise, just going in on Friday to get lasered.

Emotionally.. today has been pretty shit. My face is in the breakout phase that comes around what seems like every couple of days now. Due to the collection of redmarks that never seems to fade, things overall look really bad. I've been trying to keep positive but it's always on my mind and I continually feel like I just want to go home and not deal with anything. However, I force myself to keep dealing with everything because frankly I don't really have a choice. In addition I had arguments with my mother and my boyfriend and now I've stuck myself away in my room to study. I am going to do my best to just immerse myself in a lovely biochemistry lab or some other such fun thing.. and not think about all this BS. Sorry for the rant :(

Till next time..

Lisa

Edited to add.. since I just went about bemoaning all my problems of the day I may as well add in the few I forgot.. 1) we had our first snowfall today where I live and my lovely car skidded (albeit slowly) into a curb on a particularly steep turn that I shouldn't have taken but stubbornly did out of force of habit.. 2) I was supposed to go visit the horse I ride today and instead I came home cause my face sucks and the weather sucks. End rant.

Nov 21/2008 - first Cynergy laser tx

Hey all,

So on the face front, I am still breaking out with one or two new pimples every day or few days, with a mixture of small bumps and pustules and a fewer bigger papules/cysty type things. Overall, it is not looking good :( - definitely the worst I've looked since my first course of Accutane was over. Although I was MUCH much worse before starting that first course so I am still thankful that it hasn't gotten to that extent.

Okay on to the newest event of the day - my first laser tx. Yeah the first one is always rough cause my face is pretty broken out and it just feels like I paid $500 to have my face zapped multiple times while enduring that gross smell of burning and the redness that happens afterwards. This better work is all I can say! Anyways, it was a very similar experience to the VStar laser I had done there a few years back. They blow that stupid cooling device on your face and then apply the laser pulses. The worst part of it actually isn't the pain (it's not too painful at all, just a mild snapping, worst around the more bony areas of the face) - it's the blower thing! When it got near my nose, it felt like it was taking my breath away. The nurse who treated me told me to breathe through my mouth, which helped. Overall she did 2 passes, and I'm not sure of the joules she used. Afterwards I looked very red, but things have calmed down within the few hours that I've been home. I do have a few spots that I think I will bruise mildly at, but that's fairly typical (happened last time to me, too) and it goes away within a week or so. My next tx is thankfully only $250, and is scheduled for Dec 19th, so basically a month away. I don't expect to see much improvement from only one tx, but it would be nice if I noticed something.

Otherwise things are pretty much same old. I'm going to schedule an appointment with my doctor for next week to review my bloodwork (fingers crossed that it's okay!) and to hopefully get a script that I can fill so that I can start by Dec.

Oh --- and the PICS! How could I forget? I didn't manage to take any pre-tx, but I will try to take some later tonight (I have a family function to go to, so after that perhaps) and get them posted so you guys can see the state of affairs :(

Much love all,

Lisa

Nov 23/2008

Well I dunno if anyone is actually reading this - I guess I haven't really even started yet so there isn't too much info to be had here. Anyways as such I don't feel so bad not posting pics - my face is pretty much completely destroyed and I can't bring myself to take some.. :(. I think the laser caused me to break out over this weekend, cause between Friday and today, I have had about 8 or so actives come up :( , about half of which are what I refer to as cysts (hard painful lumps under the skin about the size of a pencil eraser). Plus there are a couple of those little bumps that you notice before something blows up :( so I have more coming. Thankfully I only have another week to wait.. going to book an app't with my doc for Tuesday to review my bloodwork and hopefully sign all the consents and get a script. This really bites :(.

Hope you guys are having better luck than I am!

Lisa

Hey Pity26 (I feel weird calling people by their screennames but eh..)!! Thanks so much for your post - and good luck on getting through a full course of Accutane! When do you start exactly? I know you said in your thread that you're seeing your derm in less than a week's time.

I know what you mean re: the desperation of things and what we're willing to do to get rid of acne - some days I wonder why I'm willing to subject my body to such a potent drug (again) over a cosmetic problem. However, at the same time, I know my personality - I can be perfectionistic and I tend to stress about things that bother me, and above all I'm a do-er - if something is getting to me, I go about trying to find solutions to get things back on track. "Letting it be" is not really my strong point, although I still wonder if I should try that this time. I know that I am risking potential long term sides, but I also know that I don't want to be wasting more of my life and thoughts on what my face is looking like.

Anyways, I totally agree with what you said about keeping a great lifestyle - strangely enough I was going to include some of my plans for that in my next post so it's interesting and coincidental that you brought it up. I do have a pretty good lifestyle in general, I eat well and up until things got crazy at university and w/ my face about 2 months ago, I was hitting the gym 4 or so times a week. So you've encouraged me to sit down and come up with some goals to get started with that again.

Cheers and keep me updated on how your course is going if you have the time!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I am sorry to hear that you are still breaking out. I can very well understand how it feels. Its good that you keep yourself motivated about other things. But this is something I can't manage to do anymore. I literally get disappointed and cancel all my plans.

Anyways something good on my side. I haven't got any of these new buggers since last 8-9 days now. I wonder if its because I've stopped all topical gels that I was using. My face also seems to be much less oily. But I very well know these acne, this good time is not gonna last for long. I gotta see my derma on tuesday and hopefully I'll start with Accutane then.

Lets hope everything goes fine. And I'll wish you luck for your course.

Bye now. take care.

Hey again, Pity26!! So glad to hear things have been going well for you!! I know it can be up and down though so hang in there till you start the Accutane. The unpredictability of breakouts in general can be really distressing. In the past I've found that once 2 or so months of Accutane have passed, I get very few new breakouts. Hopefully this will be the case for you too - and you will start feeling a shitload better once you hit that point. It can be rough at the start but the fact is, the drug works, and if you stick with it you will see results.

I know it's tough to go out and do stuff with this business causing so much stress. But next time you're kinda on the fence about whether or not to do something - just don't think twice and go out and have fun! I did that this weekend. Yes I look like shit, but when a friend phoned at like 10:30pm on Sat night and asked if I wanted to chill, I said to myself.. whatever, I'm going to put on some make up and go. So I did and spent Sat night with my guy friends smoking shisha, and having ridiculous laughs, haha. So it was well worth it and I'm glad I went. I needed to do something fun. I also went out today for a horseback riding lesson and again, I am so glad I went. I ride my coach's horse and he was absolutely amazing today and we really worked as a team. He can be a tricky animal to ride, so I was thrilled that it went well. As a result I am feeling a lot happier than I was when I wrote my last post. It's amazing how quickly your mood can change by going to do something you love.

Also, I've decided that I am going to just deal with it and post some pics. I am gonna go now and bug the boyfriend to take some for me. He is a good guy about all this stuff - naturally his skin is like a baby's ass so he doesn't get why I fuss so much, although he is sympathetic. And of course he tells me he likes the way I look regardless. So it's great having him to lean on although I really am thankful for this website also, because it's nice to get in touch with people who really understand the up's and down's of what it's like.

Well, good luck to all, as always, and look out for some beautiful :P pics of me in the near future!

Lisa

Okay so I just took some pics - they look pretty bombed in general and I do have some benzoyl peroxide cream on a couple of spots, but it's a general idea for you anyways.

So I JUST tried to upload them and apparently they are too big?! Anyways whatever, I will stick them in the gallery then! My technological challenges continue, I suppose.

Edited to add: okay I must be even more challenged than I thought. For some reason when I try to upload my photos to my a new album I created in the Accutane Gallery, they time out. I guess they are still too big? If anyone has any suggestions about how to get around this, let me know, as I'd like to post them.

Okay so I just took some pics - they look pretty bombed in general and I do have some benzoyl peroxide cream on a couple of spots, but it's a general idea for you anyways.

So I JUST tried to upload them and apparently they are too big?! Anyways whatever, I will stick them in the gallery then! My technological challenges continue, I suppose.

Edited to add: okay I must be even more challenged than I thought. For some reason when I try to upload my photos to my a new album I created in the Accutane Gallery, they time out. I guess they are still too big? If anyone has any suggestions about how to get around this, let me know, as I'd like to post them.

Why don't you open the picture in any of the Photo Editors and try shrinking it. If you are using windows then you could use Microsoft Digital Image editor. Open it and then go for "Save As" option. There normally you would find "Options" button where you could reduce the size & quality of the picture. Otherwise if you have Picassa then too good.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Why don't you open the picture in any of the Photo Editors and try shrinking it. If you are using windows then you could use Microsoft Digital Image editor. Open it and then go for "Save As" option. There normally you would find "Options" button where you could reduce the size & quality of the picture. Otherwise if you have Picassa then too good.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Hey thanks for the advice! I will try to do that now.

Okay! Thanks a tonne - I think it worked! Anyways it seems that my four files are uploaded.. gravy! We'll see if they appear.

Anyways ladies and gents, not much new to report. Had 2 or 3 new pimples come up today, that's more or less it. One of them is a bit worrisome though - it's not one of those deep under the skin ones, in fact, it's at the surface more or less, however, underlying and around it is a large area of swelling and redness. Only the actual spot itself it painful though, not the surrounding bump. I dunno if it is a pimple or an inflammed hair follicle or what. I booked an app't with my doc for tomorrow anyways to review my bloodwork and hopefully an Rx. I plan on having her look at it just to be safe. In the mean time I have been icing it infrequently and I took a Motrin to bring down the inflammation. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Cheers all!

Lisa

P.S. Don't mind the awful state of my eyebrow piercing. This thing hates me right now and I'm not gonna lie - I have not been diligent about soaking it in sea salt every day as I am supposed to.

Nov 25/2008

So today's the big day - going to see my doc. Wish me luck!

Also wanted to update on that strange bumpy thing I was mentioning yesterday. I was suspecting folliculitis and today I am even more sure that this is the case. Namely because the area continues to be swollen/lumpy and red and the surfacey bump is REALLY sore. Also, a similar thing popped up on my leg - I noticed it this morning! I am concerned cause I know folliculitis is more common in people with acne and people who have been taking antibiotics long term for acne treatment, as I have. Anyways I will ask today and hopefully she can maybe lance/drain this thing or something. It hurts like hell and is pretty big/lumpy :(. Also I do NOT want this shit spreading - having acne is bad enough :( I don't want to deal with this on top of it!!

Anyways I'll update when I get back.

Cheers!

Lisa

Hey again all..

So I saw my doc - bloodwork is nice and normal (yay!) and so I went through all that lovely business of signing the consent, etc etc. So I've officially got my first script! I can't start till sometime this weekend or early next week cause of girl restrictions (haha). My doc also had a look at my strange face and leg spots and she agrees that they look like folliculitis. She prescribed me some Fucidin ointment for them and told me to just keep and eye on how they're doing. So I'm going to fill that prescription tonight. Other than that I gotta get my Tane survival kit together, haha. I'll update you guys on what I'm using once I actually start.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Just saw your pictures. You've got such mild acne, I can't understand why you want to jump in this Accutane ocean all over again. Do you really feel its need?

TC.

Hey! I really appreciate your concern. I am not happy about going on the Accutane again, however, my skin does look a lot better in those pics than in real life. My biggest problem is that it waxes and wanes, these pics seem to be at a point where I was in the midst of clearing up from the last set of breakouts. If it was only as bad as in these pics I would not be taking Accutane again. However, since those were taken I've had at least 8-10 spots flare up (not including little things), I mean pustules and cysts. It's crazy how much it fluctuates. It is the unpredictability and propensity for scarring, plus the physical pain and psychological stress that has led me to go back on Accutane. Also, my skin started flaring up in the summer time (August) - it is now almost December and it has only gotten progressively worse over the past four months. But, regardless of all my justifying - no, I am not happy about it :( but I would like to prevent further scarring and I have run out of options (already tried antibiotics Sept - Nov and a whackload of topicals). I'm sort of at my wits end.. :(

You starting soon? I'm gonna fill my script tomorrow.

Cheers,

Lisa

Be glad you're starting now! My skin started breaking out again in late spring/early summer and I went to my derm to start Accutane but ended up backing out. Big mistake! But the time I got back to see her again my skin was a disaster and while topicals and all of the suppliments helped, I'm now left with all of the marks. If I'd just started back then my skin would be clear by now and I wouldn't have nearly as many red marks. So I say it's a good thing you're getting it early before it gets worse. That said, you're skin looks pretty great already so I'm sure this is the last time you'll need Accutane. What a happy thought!

Hey all..

Just updating to let you all know I'm picking up my script today. I'm apprehensive about starting again but I have always tolerated the drug well in the past, so I am sure this time will be no exception. I will hopefully take some "Day 1" pics later on today. Skin is in the midst of another breakout since Thursday - the left side of my chin is really inflammed and painful, so maybe this time the pics will actually show what I'm dealing with!

Till then..

Lisa :wub:

hey hun thanx 4 ur comment! i love how people on this site are so supportive and actually understand what ur going through! ur skin was looking pretty good in ur pics but yea i totally get what u mean about ur skin fluctuating. like ul have a good couple of days n get all excited thinkin ur skin is clearing up then the next day ul wake up with 4 painful bumps on ur cheeks. my skin was better than usual when i took those pics, but i guess it was mainly the scarring that was being left behind that worried me. its frustrating when u just start accutane 2 remember that its not an over night cure, cuz ur so excited u wana see results straight away lol. anyways, im gona tough it out cuz im pretty sure itl work, just have to be patient. hope third time clears u up nicely, il keep track of ur progress so best of luck.

Carol xo

Hey! I really appreciate your concern. I am not happy about going on the Accutane again, however, my skin does look a lot better in those pics than in real life. My biggest problem is that it waxes and wanes, these pics seem to be at a point where I was in the midst of clearing up from the last set of breakouts. If it was only as bad as in these pics I would not be taking Accutane again. However, since those were taken I've had at least 8-10 spots flare up (not including little things), I mean pustules and cysts. It's crazy how much it fluctuates. It is the unpredictability and propensity for scarring, plus the physical pain and psychological stress that has led me to go back on Accutane. Also, my skin started flaring up in the summer time (August) - it is now almost December and it has only gotten progressively worse over the past four months. But, regardless of all my justifying - no, I am not happy about it :( but I would like to prevent further scarring and I have run out of options (already tried antibiotics Sept - Nov and a whackload of topicals). I'm sort of at my wits end.. :(

You starting soon? I'm gonna fill my script tomorrow.

Cheers,

Lisa

That makes sense. I really hope this is going to be your last go at this drug.

It's been 4 days that I've started with it now. I am on 30mg/day and there are some positive indications coming in. Lets see how it goes.

take care and good luck.

Hey all!

So I've been super busy with coursework and exams coming up that I didn't get around to picking up my script. Anyways I will definitely go tomorrow once I'm done at the university.

Carol - thanks! Yeah it is so frustrating to clear up a bit then be disappointed by more breakouts. Like you said - when this keeps happening over and over your skin starts to accumulate scarring, which is also why I'm going on Accutane again. I do have some very minor scarring and I don't want it getting any worse. Hang in there - most def. not an overnight cure as you've said, but if you stick with it you will be happy you did. It DOES work when all other stuff has failed. Thanks a tonne for the wishes :) I'll also keep an eye on your log as well.

Pity - I hope this will be my last go, too. I think it will have to be - no way I'm taking this drug more than three times. Though I guess that's what I said after my second course, which makes me upset :(. Glad to hear you're tolerating things well so far. 30mgs per day is a decent starting dose, on the low side but it's better that way. Keep me updated on how you're doing with it!

Cheers all and good luck!

Lisa

Hey Michael - thanks :) I dunno why my skin looks so much worse to me in real life? The pics look not so bad to me too. I don't get it. A fifth course?! Holy hell.. that's intense. Are they holding up to it okay? That must really suck..

Cheers and thanks for the luck!

Lisa