Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone!

I went to a dermatologist today and after having a look at my skin, she prescribed me 20mg of Accutane for one month, followed by two months of 10mg a day.

I was wondering if anyone has gone through a similar treatment?

Have you seen any effects?

How long until it shows any results?

Any opinion on the treatment?

I appreciate any kind of feedback. Acne is terrible :( and I'm hoping I can find some help on here as well.

Thanks in advance. :)

Congratulation, You found a dermatologist who cares for your health that she prescribed you with low dose which definitely works and this reduce the chance of experiencing severe side effects dramatically as well.

I also took 20mg per day for my course for 8 months and it worked. Also pretty low dose as well. You can read my log if you want to know how I did. :D

I also took 20mg per day for my course for 8 months and it worked. Also pretty low dose as well. You can read my log if you want to know how I did. :D

Thanks!

Your log is so motivating! Your skin looks fabulous, by the way. :)

One question - How long were you on the 20mg per day until you started seeing results?

Im going on a trip in like 2 months and Im hoping I´ll be fairly well by then....is this a reasonable time period to see results?

Thanks!

Your log is so motivating! Your skin looks fabulous, by the way. :)

One question - How long were you on the 20mg per day until you started seeing results?

Im going on a trip in like 2 months and Im hoping I´ll be fairly well by then....is this a reasonable time period to see results?

Well I also started it when I was about to go on a trip. I started on accutane on the first of june last year and then 1 week after starting on the course I took a trip to china and by the time I returned which was 9 days later, my skin had already cleared up- that is no more any active pimples and no more breakouts and my skin just continued to improve from there. I didn't have IB either.

I really can't advise on how fast you will see results because it works differently on everyone. For me it was a blessing that it worked so well and fast. But I do advise you if you decided to take it while on your trip, do use lots of sunblock if you are going out in the sun because accutane makes your skin really sensitive.

i suppose to extend my course for 6 months or so .BUT.How come did your drem prescribe u a low dose with short term?Was it cuz ur acne was mild ?

Yeah, I think it was because my acne is fairly mild. Except my derm told me that Im supposed to return in three months (after having completed one whole month of 20mg per day and then 2 months of 10mg per day) so she can check up on me and see how its progressing.

She said she didnt want to give me any higher of a dose, and hoped that this would be enough to make my acne go away.

I hope so too..and I hope it works fast :(

lol ill definitely keep track of your progress,i believe your face will be totally cleared up in two months

Haha, thank you :)

I hope so as well!

Good luck to you :D, let me know how it goes!

As for any kind of update at the moment - Today was my first day on accutane, so its pretty obvious there is no changes. Since I read its good to take accutane with a glass of milk, its what I did, since apparently it is better absorbed that way.

Ill keep you guys posted on how it goes, but will probably only update when i've seen any changes.

If anyone else has a similar dose or something, please write on here as well and let me know how you are doing!

Good luck to everyone...hopefully we will all be acne free very soon :D!

I too am starting something like this I have 120 20mg pills trying to find the best way to split it up.

I've been told its best to start with a low dose. I don't know how bad your acne is, but either way, I would start with a 20mg dose per day. If your acne is very bad, I would slowly start increasing the dosage.

Supposedly on a smaller dosage, the side effects are greatly decreased but it still has a great effect on your skin. Also, if you plan on increasing the dose, your body can this way slowly get used to accutane and you won't see such strong unwanted effects.

20mg daily did nothing for my acne at all and was far too weak. I weigh 11 stone so maybe 20mg is only good for 7 or 8 stone girls.

Yeah, I weigh a little over 8 stone (which is 50 kilos).

So far so good.

2nd pill taken, no side effects, but didnt expect any this early anyway.

Ive been keeping my lips moistured to prepare for whats to come though! lol! I've already placed chap stick in all my purses (cause id probably forget to take them if not), and at home I've been using Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm. Has anyone else used this? Was it effective?

Let me know :)

I had mild/moderate acne and was only suppose to be put on 20mg for 4 months....my acne must be really persistant bc it didnt clear up and i am now up to 60mg lookin to be on it 5-6 months.

I had mild/moderate acne and was only suppose to be put on 20mg for 4 months....my acne must be really persistant bc it didnt clear up and i am now up to 60mg lookin to be on it 5-6 months.

My acne is veryyyy mild. I guess if people saw pictures theyd say I dont even need to be on accutane, and I suppose thats why im on such a small dose (20mg). The thing is, I went to the derm and she said that although I didnt have too much acne, the kind that I do have leaves scars. So even if i have little, I was going to remain with scars on the sides of my face and some on my forehead if I did not treat them with accutane.

Im hoping the smaller dose is enough to make the pimples that i have go away and help the fading of the scars that I already have :(

Anyways..

3rd day on accutane

Took it this morning at breakfast, with some milk and bread.

So far, so good.

I think Im seeing the beginnings of an IB, but Im not sure. The few new pimples might be a coincidence.

I do notice my face is a little drier than usual, but nothing noticable. I dont have very oily skin to begin with though, thats why Im worried about how much accutane will dry my skin.

Ive been constatnly applying chap stick, even if my lips havent shown any signs of drying yetttt. Im sure they will soon, and I might as well start keeping them moisturized now and maybe lessen the effect of accutane on them.

4th and 5th day on accutane

well... everythings pretty much the same, except for the fact that ive started taking the pills at night, like at dinner or after, because on my 4th day i took them in the morning and i had a terrible headache ALL day that didnt let me concentrate on ANYTHING. im not sure it was because of accutane, but the truth is ive never had such a bad headache...so just to be safe, im taking it at night so that if i get anything, at least ill be sleeping! haha.

what else can i say? my face seems pretty much the same so far. old pimples seem to be going away, i have a few new ones..maybe like 3, but i think its too little to be an IB. I dont know, doesnt seem like any very obvious effects are visible. my lips are a little drier than usual, but ive been keeping that under control :).

does anyone know if accutane makes the old scars go away?

does it just prevent new pimples?

...any comments are appreciated.

:)

accutane is giving me HORRIBLE headaches.

Ive taken the 6th pill. At night. And I woke up a bunch of times with a horrible horrible headache. And now I have to go to school and I still have a headache... I can bear it for a while longer, but Im sure I wont do three months if I'm going to have a headache like this every single time.

My skin is much drier today, but I notice improvements. My acne is fading, except for a couple pimples here and there. Mostly on my forehead.

I dont think theres a point to posting on here anymore if no one really reads it and no ones in the same situation (same dosage, same time, etc). No one comments :(

My skin noticeably better, I've gotten a few new pimples (quite big ones, larger than the ones I usually get), but overall its clearer. That sounds kinda weird, but my skin just looks clearer. I dont know if the new ones are because of an IB or not, but if so, it isn't too bad.

My lips are dry, but not too bad and nothing some chapstick cant cure.

The only thing I can really complain about is that even though I've been taking the pills at night, I still get horrible headaches the next day. Today I woke up and felt fine, but after a few hours my head started hurting so badly. And its a kind of headache I've never had, and it might be a coincidence, but I think it is because of accutane. I'm on such a low dose though :(. The headache left me unable to do anything for 5 hours, thats how bad it was. I even took tylenol, but it didn't change anything. The pain went away a few hours later, and I'm good now, but its night time and I had a shitload of work to do that I won't be able to get done today.

I don't want to tell my parents about the bad headaches because I'm scared that they'll tell me I have to stop taking accutane, and I'm really hopeful that it will clear up my acne. They aren't against me being on it, but I'm sure if I let them know I've been having these horrible headaches they will get really worried. Especially if it happens everyday :(.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Today I will take my 8th accutane pill.

I really hope I don't get a bad headache tomorrow...I really need to study :(.

My skin noticeably better, I've gotten a few new pimples (quite big ones, larger than the ones I usually get), but overall its clearer. That sounds kinda weird, but my skin just looks clearer. I dont know if the new ones are because of an IB or not, but if so, it isn't too bad.

My lips are dry, but not too bad and nothing some chapstick cant cure.

The only thing I can really complain about is that even though I've been taking the pills at night, I still get horrible headaches the next day. Today I woke up and felt fine, but after a few hours my head started hurting so badly. And its a kind of headache I've never had, and it might be a coincidence, but I think it is because of accutane. I'm on such a low dose though :(. The headache left me unable to do anything for 5 hours, thats how bad it was. I even took tylenol, but it didn't change anything. The pain went away a few hours later, and I'm good now, but its night time and I had a shitload of work to do that I won't be able to get done today.

I don't want to tell my parents about the bad headaches because I'm scared that they'll tell me I have to stop taking accutane, and I'm really hopeful that it will clear up my acne. They aren't against me being on it, but I'm sure if I let them know I've been having these horrible headaches they will get really worried. Especially if it happens everyday :(.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Today I will take my 8th accutane pill.

I really hope I don't get a bad headache tomorrow...I really need to study :(.

woww im so sorry to hear about your headaches

definately drink more water, i hear accutane is dehydrating so maybe that could help

i just started taking it yesterday, 20 mg as well

so im just following along with your posts

keep the updates goin!

9th pill today

I didn't get a headache todayyyyyy!!! I was so beyond happy. I actually felt really good today, completely the opposite from the other days!

My face is... alright, I suppose. It hasnt changed much since yesterday obviously. I still have the same new pimples, and I got one more right under my jaw, so its not visible but I can feel it..and it seems as though any of the new pimples I get are much larger than the ones I was getting before taking accutane. But the ones that were there before are clearing up noticeably. I had this problem area under my temples and its clearing up fast. I'm so happy. Right now I have about five active pimples, that came out after taking accutane. The others are disappearing. I dont know if this is my IB, but it really isnt too bad.

Before only my nose was dry, now the skin above my eyebrows is drying up, but not too badly either.

This is going well so far, I'm just hoping I won't get a very bad IB or anything.

My derm said I should see obvious results two weeks into accutane.. so hopefully in three days it will be better.

:)

oh and kayelevold, I will keep updating whenever I have time :)

You should make your own journal as well, I'd love to see how you progress! (especially since we are on the same dose and stuff!).

How bad is your acne?

How long is your accutane course going to be?

thats awesome you didnt have a headache today!!

well actually to be honest, i got my accutane off the internet because derms are pretty expensive. so basically, i have to come up with my own course and what not.

my acne is mild to moderate. i have 1 or 2 cysts most of the time. and 5-10 good size pimples haha.

so i didnt want to over do it, i read ALOT of forums and what not. I thought about even just taking 10 mg a day, but eh i dont think that'll be very effective. so im doing 20 one day, then 10, then 20..etc.

so you think maybe i should do that for 6 months?

what are you doing?

whats your acne like?

thanks for the help!

well actually to be honest, i got my accutane off the internet because derms are pretty expensive. so basically, i have to come up with my own course and what not.

my acne is mild to moderate. i have 1 or 2 cysts most of the time. and 5-10 good size pimples haha.

so i didnt want to over do it, i read ALOT of forums and what not. I thought about even just taking 10 mg a day, but eh i dont think that'll be very effective. so im doing 20 one day, then 10, then 20..etc.

what are you doing?

whats your acne like?

thanks for the help!

This could be the biggest mistake of your life like it was for me. You SHOULD NOT be self-medicating on accutane mate, please do not do it. You can't guarantee the accutane you have is genuine and you need to be monitored closely, bloodwork and liver enzymes etc for your own safety.

If you do decide to continue, at the very least I would tell your GP and arrange a regular blood test but from experience and someone who is now dealing with some SERIOUS side effects, I would strongly, wholeheartedly advise against it.

Let your common sense guide you and not your skin.

Greg

what are you doing?

whats your acne like?

thanks for the help!

Please follow Sheefa's advice and do not self medicate with accutane.

You could seriously put yourself in danger, just go see a derm or find another method of treatment. Your life may never be the same again, you have no idea what you're putting into your body.

Your posts will be deleted and you might be banned from this website.

what are you doing?

whats your acne like?

thanks for the help!

My acne is mild, I suppose. My derm put me on accutane not really because of the AMOUNT of acne that I have, but because of the fact that the type I have scars very easily. My acnes been much worse (was worse before I went to the derm) and it left a lot of scars. When I went to the derm it was much better, but she noticed I had scars and that the pimples that I had would scar. Currently I have like ..9 pimples, but they are quite large. They seem to be drying up. But I still have a lot of scars from previous pimples. I know accutane isnt going to make the scars go away, but hopefully I wont be getting any more scars. The problem is also Im always very tempted to mess with my pimples, pop them and such, but after starting accutane I completely stopped popping them. So hopefully thats going to help.

My derm told me to take 20mg per day for a whole month and then after the end of that month take a 20mg pill one day, skip a day, then take another...so one day yes another no, basically 10mg a day.

This course is supposed to last 3 months, and when Im almost finished with it or just done Im supposed to set up another appointment with my derm. I guess she will then determine if I need to keep going, if I need a higher dose, or if I can stop.

I really don't recommend taking accutane you bought online, just because you can never be sure its the real thing. Accutane itself can cause serious side effects if not taken with the right precautions, especially without a derms opinion. I think that if you really want to take care of your skin you should try to save up some money to go to the derm, its safer!

I am, however, on a low dose, and was told by my derm that because of this, I do not have to go in for blood check ups. She said that while accutane is powerful and can cause serious side effects, at such a low dose the periodic blood tests are not necessary. If anything, Ill just have to do a blood test once I go back in three months.

Either way, if you decide to go on the treatment without going to a derm, just be careful, and get your blood checked and whatnot. Im just not doing it because my derm told me it was unecessary.

If you have any more questions let me know. I think it would be safest to go to the derm before you take accutane, but if you decide to keep going with the course without doing so, hopefully I can be of some help, even if I dont encourage it.

Anyways, Ill be taking my 10th pill today.

Skin is the same as yesterday, same pimples are still there. Im getting a new one on my cheek though, and its painful :(! I think this is my IB...its not too bad, but its getting a bit worse even though the pimples seem to be drying out fast.

I have a friend thats coming to visit soon (2 weeks)... I really hope Ill be clearer by the time he comes. Hes never seen me with acne..I used to have clear skin. ugh. Im sad :(