Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanon

Make up removal- Wash or Wipe off?

I'm about 3 or so months post accutane, and my face is very dry. Also extremely sensitive and reactive/flushes. There are pros and cons to both methods, for me, it seems. I hate tugging at my skin when it comes to wipe offs, but they're not as drying as washing with a cleanser (I can only wash my face once a day too, btw). However if I use a cleanser to get my make up off, there's no tugging at my skin, but its quite drying. And whatever cleanser thats strong enough to get make up off, is usually too harsh for my skin. Also, I can only wash with cold water, so that doesnt help get make up off at all. haha

I am currently using La Roche Posay Rosaliac gel make up remover, and its pretty good at keeping my skin calm, but I think its the actual wiping motion that causes it to get red and flush. I try to be as gentle as a I can, but its make up, it takes a little effort/repeated wipes to get off.

What do you all think of using Olive Oil as a make up remover?

How do you all get your make up off? Whats the gentlest way?

Vaseline is a god send at taking off eye makeup and also I have a face wash made by Auqafina it's called sumthing "moisture" and it really does work!

have you considered a cleansing oil? i use mac's cleanse-off oil and would never go back. it's really awesome stuff. doesn't dry me out, and i have really dry skin. it also acts as an exfoliant for me (i'm on dan's regimen, so sometimes i get flakey.) i just spend a little time massaging in the oil, and the flakes all loosen up. i've only ever used mac's, but i know there are several to choose from. :)

i use dove's sensitive skin cleansing cloths and they are the only cleanser i will let touch my face! the cloths are very gentle, non-drying, and remove every trace of makeup. they leave my skin soft and clean and dont contribute to acne. using these (along with everything else in my routine) has kept my skin clear.

Lu lu belle- No i haven't tried cleansing oil. I have to be very careful with what i put on my face because its so sensitive, Im very prone to getting a reaction. I cant use anything with mineral oil, jojoba oil, etc.

fancyyxamy- I've used dove sensitive skin beauty bar and it was so drying for me. But i've never tried the cleansing cloths, I will have to look into them. They sound like a good idea, and I'm thinking they'd be more ph balanced than the bar, so hopefully not as drying.

I've been using olive oil along with the la roche posay remover and that works ok. but i still end up washing instead of repeated tugging at my skin. ha. oi. :doh:

hmmmm.... yeah, i don't know what to tell you. i have really sensitive skin, and the cleansing oil doesn't bother me at all, but it does contain mineral oil, which sounds like a big no-no for you. i can't really think of anything else......

do you have a lot of make-up that you have to remove? most milky cleansers are non-foaming and gentle on the skin. i don't have a lot of experience with them, but i think they remove make-up okay too. lancome makes one, and so does bliss. clarins is also well known for making gentle products, but all of these can get kind of spendy. you could also try a product like cetaphil. it's not great at removing make-up on its own, but you could try using it with a wipe. massage some cetaphil cleanser on your face, and then take off with your wipe. the cetaphil will kind of act as a lubricant so you don't end up pulling at your skin to get your make-up off. cetaphil also shouldn't dry out your skin at all. i have really dry skin and love it!

If you're considering olive oil, get one made for skin (not just any old cooking olive oil). I like DHC's olive oil products...their deep cleansing oil washes clean with water, but they also make a plain olive oil you could try.

The cleansing oil gets all my makeup off very easily.

Deep cleansing oil: olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, caprylic/capric triglyceride, sorbeth-30 tetraoleate, tocopherol, phenoxyethanol, propylparaben, stearyl glycyrrhetinate, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil

Cheap solutions:

Baby oil (regular, unscented, not with aloe):

Massage it into your face, then you can do two things to remove it:

Wipe it off with a tissue or clean cloth

Use a gentle cleanser to wash off both the oil and the makeup. (just water won't work)

Baby wipes:

Pretty much how it sounds. I wipe off my makeup with baby wipes, then follow up with a gentle facewash to get any leftovers.

The facewash I use is Cetaphil's Gentle Face Wash.

unfortunately, baby oil is just mineral oil with fragrance, and she can't use it. :(

Ah, that's what I get for just reading the original post, and not the others. :)

Hm.

Well, another more costly solution is to find a moisturizer that has worked well for you, massage THAT into your face, and wipe off with a tissue or clean cloth, then follow up with a gentle cleanser.

headtrip honey, since you're a lover of baby oil, i have a question for you. i've been considering this, and i guess i should just try it to see how it works, but i remember reading something about putting baby oil on your body just before you get out of the shower and then towel drying. have you ever done that before? i have really dry skin and cetaphil cream, while awesome, doesn't absorb well, and i seem to go through it really fast.

It really depends on how much makeup you wear. I used to wear a full face: liquid or creme foundation, dermalblend concealer, powder, blush, and eye makeup. i used almay makeup remover followed by a baby wipe followed by cleansing. now, i just wear tinted moisturizer, creme blush, and clear mascara, and i'm comfortable with just washing. sometimes i'll use an unscented baby wipe before washing if i woke up with a blotchy face and needed to apply a few layers of the tinted moisturizer.

headtrip honey, since you're a lover of baby oil, i have a question for you. i've been considering this, and i guess i should just try it to see how it works, but i remember reading something about putting baby oil on your body just before you get out of the shower and then towel drying. have you ever done that before? i have really dry skin and cetaphil cream, while awesome, doesn't absorb well, and i seem to go through it really fast.

That's exactly what I do! But make sure your skin is still wet and be very careful about how much you use. I used to use jojoba oil, but baby oil is cheaper and i don't really get body breakouts.

awesome! thanks for the info! i don't really have a problem with body breakouts either, so i'll give this a try with some leftover baby oil i have.

sorry to hijack your thread shanon!!

haha its perfectly fine! Any skin advice is always fine :)

thanks. :) so how was meeting the bf with no make-up? everything go okay??? (i guess i should check the other thread... :))

Wow, sorry for not being back....long Thxgiving vacation.

Altho someone already answered you, here's mine:

Yes, I have done that, and it works pretty well. The key is, when you towel off, don't wipe, instead like pat yourself dry. I have a terrycloth robe that I just wear until I'm dry, so I don't towel off anyway.

Another thing I like to do is add baby oil to my baths...my skins feels silky when I get out.

I don't use baby oil on my face, though, I use jojoba oil. After I've washed my face (I don't actually use a cleanser in the morning, I just scrub it with dissolved aspirin, then rinse with lots of warm water) I pour a teensy amount into my palm, and massage it into my wet face. I then pat dry.

thank you! i use jojoba oil on my face as well, so i wouldn't be putting this on. i just ran out of cetaphil cream last night, so i'll be using this tonight when i finish my shower.