Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lljjgg

On Accutane, Oil & Acne Returning after 3 months

I'm sure this is something that's been covered in another topic at one point or another, but the search system here is somewhat less-specific than I'd like, so it was taking me forever to look through everything to try to find my particular problem.

This is my first cycle of Accutane, and I'm currently on my 4th month in. I'm 22 and I just began to get acne (never really had a problem with it as a teenager) about a year ago. My acne wasn't horrible, but it was bad enough that I became fed up and decided to see the Dermatologist about it. I'd tried most of the usual over-the-counter stuff you can try, proactive, even Minocycline from my Doctor. All of it worked for a week or two, drying my face out, but ultimately the oil would return and the acne along with it. The Dermatologist and I finally agreed on Accutane.

The first month was fantastic. Almost immediately, my skin was about as close to perfect as you can get. It shined. No pimples whatsoever, the ones I already had were gone in a day. The problem though, is that the oil has progressively been returning to my face, month by month, and now instead of leaving behind a shine when I wash it, it's red and irritated. I'm breaking out again.

I've been on the same dose throughout the 4th months. So I was wondering if anyone's dealt with a situation like this before? If so (or even if not), whether from their experience they think that I'd be better off with an upped dosage or another cycle of Accutane after the period you have to wait between cycles, or whether they think that I'm probably one of that 10% (or what have you) for whom Accutane isn't the answer? I suppose I'm worried because my sister started breaking out at around the same age (22-23), and 5 years later she still has a problem with her acne. I'm hoping desperately that my case won't be the same (she's never been on Accutane, though, so I suppose this is my one hope that my situation will be different).

I am on my 5th month.. My face also started to really clear up and then boom now I get the cysts and zits again followed by the shininess...sucks.. idk why that is.. Im sorry u are not having the results u want.. everyone keeps telling me to just wait and it will work..i am starting to wonder..

Different bodies react differently. excess Oil did come back to my face on 2 occassions during a 7 month period for a few weeks each time. Strange shit happens all the time, you just have to wait it out until it eventually gets better which theres a good chance it will.

Hi Ladies I'm with you guys. I just started month 4 still breaking out although i did go a few wks without a new pimple arising during my 3rd month....didnt last long!

I cleared after like 2 weeks, and then had recurring minor breakouts like 1/month for 3 months after that. I'm about to hit my cumulative dosage in a couple of days now and I feel like I'm getting more oil production than earlier in my course.

I guess we just have to be more patient. :)