Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Amatista

How do you learn to do pretty makeup?

I'm clueless. None of the women in my family wear much makeup, and my friends have either been boys or tomboys so I was never taught how to wear makeup or keep track of trends. I'm 26 now!

All of the tutorial videos I've seen on eyeshadow 'n' such tend to assume you have basic knowledge of how/where to apply it.

Anybody know of some better ones? Or other ways to learn these skills?

Heck, you could even take step-by-step photos and teach me, if you're up to it! (I'd be forever in your debt.)

The best way to do it is to just play around - that's how I learned! I lean towards my gothy eye make up, so I began visiting lots of goth make-up tip sites and picked up ideas from there! But seriously, just pull out some eyeshadow and start putting it on, you'll figure out pretty quick how to at least apply the basic stuff!

I've had pretty good luck experimenting as you say. I can create a subtle look. It just doesn't look as polished as some girls' makeup.

My sister has a great book, "Beauty for Dummies". It's quite interesting. Magazines are very informative too. Or you could go to one of the make-up counters at a store or go to a beauty parlour and get a make-over done.

I can relate! I used to hate eye shadow only because I was horrible at applying it. :lol:

As Elsewhere said, playing around helps a lot but two other tips I have is buy some different sized and shaped brushes and blend, blend, blend!

This is what I do:

-Apply a light or the lightest eye shadow (if you're using more than one) on your whole lid and up to your brows or until it's all blended. I don't always do this step because, honestly, I don't think it makes much of a difference on me.

-Take the next darkest color and apply it starting at the outer lash line. Lightly smudge it into the lash line going inward. Then I personally like to blend the color upward and outward (not going beyond my eyelid; it's easy to make eye makeup look sloppy beyond the eyelid imo). I do this so it's darker on the outer corner. Theennn I blend the color back in towards the inner corner across the whole lid. If there's not enough to get a smooth gradation across the lid then dip the brush back in the shadow, dab off excess color and sweep the brush across the lid from the outer corner inward.

-Then I take the darkest color, just a bit! and apply this along the lash line, too. Again, going from the outer corner in. Blend the whole line of color upward only a bit on the inside and more so on the outer corner. I like to also take some of this color and put in the crease but it has to be really subtle! So, say you're working on your left eye the darkest color will be applied like this < the bottom line being the lash line and the top one being the crease.

-Lastly, I like to define my eye shape with an eyeliner. I prefer highly pigmented ones. Stay as close to the lash line as possible and, if you can, try to catch the top, inner lash line on both corners and the inner, bottom lash line.

Of course, this is the way I do it and I think it works best for me so far. I'm sure it sounds confusing, maybe even difficult so I will try to post a picture tutorial at some point this weekend.

Happy experimenting :)

Oh, don't forget mascara ^_^ lol

I'm clueless. None of the women in my family wear much makeup, and my friends have either been boys or tomboys so I was never taught how to wear makeup or keep track of trends. I'm 26 now!

All of the tutorial videos I've seen on eyeshadow 'n' such tend to assume you have basic knowledge of how/where to apply it.

Anybody know of some better ones? Or other ways to learn these skills?

Heck, you could even take step-by-step photos and teach me, if you're up to it! (I'd be forever in your debt.)

Ooooh boy! I had the same issue. Why don't the girls in my family wear makeup?? Anyway, I recommend heading to sephora and let them teach you. The girls in there are a great help. I ended up buying the beginners set of Bare Minerals. It lasted a year for around $60. It was a great starter kit! I highly recommend it.

I too, have the same problem. I found a tutorial on youtube and ended up watching all of the girls videos...then realized that she had a blog where she also posted step-by-step pictures of her tutorials with written instructions. You can search Michelle Phan on youtube. I believe her blog site is: Michelle Phan's Blog She really makes it "simple-stupid" so to speak. Hope it helps!

hey...go on youtube and search for makeup tips. here are some awesome channels to check out:

fafinettex3, itsjudytime, pursebuzz

there are so many more out there, but these are a few of my favorites. that's how i learned how to apply makeup a lot better!

goodluck

I just looked at magazines and followed their advice lol But obviously I always

bought the cheap version of make-up.

I liked Teen Vogue, Cosmopolitan, and Seventeen.

Show a picture of how you did. :dance:

Personally I think not wearing any makeup is a really great thing. I don't wear any makeup except powder foundation (and I wouldn't even wear that if my skin were clear)...except for occasions when I'm expected to, or on a random day when I feel like "playing dress up". I would suggest going barefaced (except for sunscreen, moisturizer, concealer/foundation, or whatever), but if you really want to wear makeup (or if you have an occasion that calls for it), then I would suggest going to the Clinique counter at the mall and looking at step-by-step directions in magazines and online. After you know what to do, practice practice practice until you know how to do it. That's how I learned, at least....