Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blossom:D

Whats with videogames and acne?

i was just wondering how come video gamers always seem to have acne? well not all, but a lot of them do. My brother used to do boxing and he stopped palying games because he didnt have time and his acne disappeared, but now he started playing again and isnt boxing as much, and now he is breaking out again!

ok too much info i was just wondering why videogamers tend to have more acne than others.

While there may be a correlation or some kind of a relationship between the two populations of video gamers and acne-sufferers, I think it's a dangerous jump to conclude that they are directly related.

There can be so many factors that can link the two together, such as inactivity playing a role in possibly affecting hormone levels, which can affect acne, etc. But I think with a statistical analysis on the two populations, the conclusion would most likely be that there isn't enough evidence to reject the null hypothesis (that having acne and playing video games are independent of each other).

It may also be coincidence that the people around you who play video games may be suffering from acne. I personally say that my friend who is addicted to World of Warcraft, my friends who are all obsessed with Winning, and another who adores Final Fantasy... all have perfect skin.

And speaking of which, the relationship actually might be backwards too. Perhaps people with acne tend to have less confidence in attending social situations, so they take up more of their free time with intra-personal activities, i.e. video games. But that again, can be overshadowed by so many other factors such as which populations tend to like video games, which populations tend to prefer to socialize, etc.

Sitting down all day affects circulation. One thing I've noticed after I started to pickup badminton again, apart from feeling so much better after sweating up a bucketful, is the persistent boils on my leg flaring-up less often.

Not exercising also decreases the insulin sensitivity, and that's been associated with acne.

i know it doesnt have to do with video games at all but something with the lack of activity. and im not generalizing. Killing Time. This type of post is research. compared to people who dont play video games to videogames the ratio of acne sufferers is way higher for gamers. I dont have facts but ive noticed. And Killingtime, now ur generalizing on, people who play video games arent good looking, i play video games and im sexy as shit.

Well if brother was boxing he was sweating and clearing out his pores and probably not eating bad stuff all day, but now that he's sitting and playing games all day hey maybe eating worse too. But I don't think video games themselves cause acne.

I don't know, I was 15 at the time when I got a computer and addicted to video games and started getting acne. Not sure if it's a coincidence or not or maybe not enough circulation like Madworld said.

Weird 'cause every time I go to a place where they sell video games (gamestop, gamecrazy, etc) I never see anyone with acne. I don't play video games that much maybe like once a week, although I don't practice any sports that much. Mostly just when my friends call me to go play soccer/basketball

It's rather that I play video games when I dont want to go out because of my acne, not because video games causes acne.

Ten bucks says your brother was washing his face more. When he was boxing he was clearly working out and sweating, unless he is a gross mother f#$K, Im assuming that means he went and showered afterwords. Probably now that he isnt goin as much he just isnt cleaning his face as much.

I have never seen my acne spike just because Ive played more games. Hell Ive been playing Gears of War 2 non stop for the past 6 days and my acne is all but gone.

Speaking from experience, it seems that every time I start playing games I start to develop pimples depending on how much I play. If I play a lot it develops more. Don't get me wrong...I go to the gym 4 days a week so it's not like I'm idle or anything. I get plenty of weight and cardio training. My diet stays relatively the same. I also notice that my face gets very very oily after a gaming session. Can this be the cause of it?

Good question. For some people, physical activity improves how the skin looks. So, when he was boxing he was getting more blood flow to his skin, which probably helped. Personally, when I work out and my face gets sweaty, I break out. Everyone's different.

I'm sorry but it's these types of posts that are totally ruining this section.... this is a research section, it should be reserved for actual scientific research, not random questions which should just go in the general section.

Correlation does not imply causation.

It's probably because boxing involves sweating, body cleansing, lots of water, and forces you to eat better.

Video games usually involves consuming bad foods, energy drinks, sodas, and not moving for hours at a time in a room with sometimes poor air circulation.

Videogames never caused any problem for me. In fact, if I'm just gonna be sitting around playing videogames inside all day, I'll be more inclined to take better care of my skin (not put on make-up, wash my face regularly, slather on BP, apply face masks, etc).

I'm sorry but it's these types of posts that are totally ruining this section.... this is a research section, it should be reserved for actual scientific research, not random questions which should just go in the general section.

Regardless, the most obvious answer is that acne, obesity etc. would lead a person to participate in more introvert type activities such as video games.... for things like obesity it would probably just make the problem even worse, a vicious cycle. You will rarely see a very good looking person sitting at home playing video games for hours, they have a reason to be out and about.

This kind of bugs me. My fiance` is a hardcore gamer. So aren't his friends. Our evenings together usually consist of us playing things together or me watching him play games that amuse me...for hours. Yes..hours. And weekends? From morning to night, we're usually playing video games unless we're eating in which we tend to watch our favorite shows that he has on DVD or downloaded.

To be frank, he's quite attractive and has absolutely ZERO acne and quite flawless skin nor is he obese. I make sure to be extra close to him in public because other chicks are always staring. He and his friends just opt to play video games. His friends are not unattractive either. Actually, I know quite a few hardcore gamers that sit around and play games all day who either have acne nor are they super unattractive. :/

There is no direct correlation between playing video games and acne. If you opt to sit in front of the tv and play games whilst eating a big bag of chips or chocolate and drinking soda...then sure, you might develop some acne. You also may develop some acne based on the environment you're playing the games in, but not because of the games themselves.

they can't have anything to do with each other, because i play video games and lift weights. i weight lift for 10 hours a week and play video games for 10 hours a week( maybe a little more) and its not like im one of those guys who lifts weights so he can say he lifts weights, ive been doing it for 4 years and im 16 and i work out really hard a sweat a lot( i bench press 255lbs). Alos i eat as healthy as i can without eating the bark off a tree. so i don't see any relation between the 2 for my life anyway, also i have a little firend who sits around the house and plays video games and he have very mild acne

Sitting down all day affects circulation. One thing I've noticed after I started to pickup badminton again, apart from feeling so much better after sweating up a bucketful, is the persistent boils on my leg flaring-up less often.

Not exercising also decreases the insulin sensitivity, and that's been associated with acne.

I second this. Great post. ^_^

Maybe. However, I follow the "pro gaming" scene, and I've yet to see any of the gamers w/ even mild acne. And I know for a fact these guys play sometimes up to 8 hours, depending on how close they are to tournament or some important event. Their occupations is being a professional gamer, so...

This connection is absurd. Video games are entertainment but they are not inferior to any other form of entertainment. If you enjoy video games then play them and enjoy them and love them. Your enjoyment means more than acne anyway. The lifestyles however of someone who plays a lot of video games could effect acne. Diet and exercise is crucial to overall well-being. It doesn't hurt to live healthy.

And this is coming from someone whose life is 70% made up of experiencing other people's creative outlets. Film, video games, music.

Hmm probably because of the lack of exercise? You also tend to touch/scratch your face alot when playing video games, and you probably wont realise your doing it lol

Well I have a lot of video game playing friends and some that dont. More of my friends that play games have worse acne then my friends that don't. Lots more gamers I meet have acne, its weird. I have acne and I used to play tons of games. I really don't think it is the games though. I think it is what people eat and do during the game.

Eating chips and energy drink

Staying up late at night

lack of movement

lack of sun and fresh air.

Guest pokemonster
i know it doesnt have to do with video games at all but something with the lack of activity. and im not generalizing. Killing Time. This type of post is research. compared to people who dont play video games to videogames the ratio of acne sufferers is way higher for gamers. I dont have facts but ive noticed. And Killingtime, now ur generalizing on, people who play video games arent good looking, i play video games and im sexy as shit.

lmao

i agree with everyone who said its not games themselves but just lack of activity, prolonged sitting position etc etc y would exactly games be blamed anyways, u might just say then sitting at pc for long time rather, but its not exactly pcs fault either anyway..