Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FromTheInsideOut

HELP! No Derm Appt. for 4 mos.

Hi everyone!

Over the summer I got terrible severe, chronic cystic acne... and when I finally decided to call a derm (about a month and a half ago), they said I couldn't get an appointment until March. AHHHH! I am scarring badly and need some suggestions -- I'm not trying to totally cure myself (though of course that would be great! -wouldn't my derm be surprised!!), but I do need something to at least help reduce this swelling and inflammation. My face hurts so badly and parts of it are turning purple (I hear that's the worst indication of severe cystic acne)......PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks so, so, SO much!!

post-87792-1226507359_thumb.jpg

post-87792-1226507359_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone!

Over the summer I got terrible severe, chronic cystic acne... and when I finally decided to call a derm (about a month and a half ago), they said I couldn't get an appointment until March. AHHHH! I am scarring badly and need some suggestions -- I'm not trying to totally cure myself (though of course that would be great! -wouldn't my derm be surprised!!), but I do need something to at least help reduce this swelling and inflammation. My face hurts so badly and parts of it are turning purple (I hear that's the worst indication of severe cystic acne)......PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks so, so, SO much!!

what are you using on your face??

I am usually just splashing with lukewarm water and finishing off with Neutrogena's oil-free moisturizer. Occasionally, I use a Korean-made cleansing foam, that's mild and contains no soap. I'm not really looking for external acne treatments...my acne is so deep, I know the only kind of cure that will work is something internal.

why don't you try another derm around your area if this one makes you wait until march? i would also consider maybe any derm within a 100 mile radius that has the soonest appt.

Oh honey that does look painful :comfort:

All i can really suggest is that you take an anti inflammatory drug (i'm from the UK and i don't know if it is the same in the US but we call it Ibuprofen) and ice those bad boys as much as you can. These will help with the swelling and the pain.

And as suggested before see if there are any other derms in your area as you need that treated asap, and defo get on the Accutane.

Good luck

(And do not try that lemon suggestion as that could flat out hurt you)

Hi everyone!

Thanks so, so, SO much!!

Find a derm asap. I'd recommend you ask ur derm about accutane. Most likely he'll put u on accutane, but if ur not willing to spend too much money then i'd reccommend minocycline, but ur derm should know what kind of treatment you'll need.

For now wash ur face twice a day. Once in the morning and again before bed. I'd recommend the nutrogena acne bar, its an orange square pretty much u can get it anywhere. Over the counter topical cream wont really do anything, i'd just wait for a derm. Also don't touch/pick ur face as it will just irritate it making it worse.

i was on minocycline, but i was 14 and my parents chose it for me. Now that i'm 18 if i had to decide i wouldve gone with accutane.

Now i am off all the pills and i am drinking an anti-oxidant tea called rooibos tea, which i learned about on the message boards. So far the tea has been working better than any pill i've been on and its hella cheap. I rarely break out now versus when i was taking minocycline where i would still break out occasionally.I highly reccommend you try rooibos tea you can find it at any natural foods store. Or who knows i could just be getting older and my acne is dying off as i age (going on 19)

trust me my derm classified me under "very severe acne" Acne on my face, chest, back, shoulders, neck and it was nasty, worse than urs would hate to see it happen to anyone.

p.s yes my face does get worse during summer stay cool and under the shade.

this is what i do and it has cleared me up !!!In the AM i take shower clean my face with Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser for 30 to 40 seconds pat dry ...wait 10 minutes then apply Neutrogena Alcohol Free Toner witch is very imporant because it takes care of everything that the cleanser left behind like residue oil stuff like dat plus it refreshes your skin....well wait like 10 minutes till it dries then apply Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer witch is ultra light non greasy and shine free =) PM i do the same just add BP after i tone my skin then add the moisterizer =)....I have been doin this for a month str8 and it had cleared me up after alot of years wit oily acne skin .....I did the research and the proper way to clean your skin is to 1.clean skin wit a face wash 2.Tone skin with a alcohol free toner 3.apply Dans BP ((only in the PM))4.Moisterize with an oil free moisterizer....

GOOD LUCK and keep updatin

i'm trying organic raw apple cider vinegar on my face, i tried it last night for the first time, and this morning, honestly, when i woke up and looked in the mirror this morning, my face didn't look as red, and the zits seemed to have calmed down...so i did it again this morning, which then after i wiped it i could see all the zits again inflamed, but its calming down again...this is the second day i've been drinking a couple teaspoons of the stuff as well....i'll let you know how it goes ..keep us updated too on your progress...good luck...TO ALL OF US...

Hi, I had a friend that had terrible acne like that too and he tried everything and Doxy made him worse so he decided to take Accutane for a year and his acne completely cleared up. You should ask to go on that. It is a serious medicine but it will probably be your only cure. I went on it when I was in High School for a year and it cleared up my skin but when I turned 20 I started on birth control pills and my acne came back but just a cyst here and there nothing that bad.

Also, when I attended Acting school my image development instructor gave me the advice of using baby wash because sometimes when you young your skin is just sensitive. I still am using that and I have tried everything over the past 5 years of my life and some of those adult cleansers just make your skin too tight and that causes the skin to get irritated and much worse.

You should try Aveeno Baby Wash and Shampoo cleanser. It cleanses very well without drying the skin. Also, you can buy unscented soft cotton baby wipes. I use that every night with the cleanser and I see a bunch of dirt on the baby wipe. But don't scrub your face because that will make it worse. Also avoid anything that has fragrance and wash your pillow sheets with organic detergent. It makes a huge difference. Hopefully I have helped. I have had acne since I was very young and now that I am 25 I hope to give everyone some advice on how to heal acne bc using tooo much stuff will just make your skin worse. I also use finacea, it stings but I use it a little hear and there and it helps. If you want to use a moisturizer you could use the Aveeno Baby moisturizer for body on you face. I dont use much moisturizer bc it makes acne worse sometimes. :D

Accutane, for sure. Try to call around to find a sooner time for your derm. appointment...until then don't irritate your acne with topicals. Does your family doctor prescribe antibiotics? Mine does, so I didn't have to wait SO long to see a derm. Good luck!!! Stay strong.

I would consider trying the apple cider vinegar treatment. I've seen a few people with similar acne treat it well with ACV. In the meantime, don't do anything that would cause scarring, and I would definitely find another dermatologist. If anything, it looks like something your doing is causing some pretty bad irritation and inflammation. Good Luck.

Don't wait for the Derm appointment in March. Go to a GP (normal doctor) they can put you on Accutane and monitor you. Keep your appointment in March with the Derm, and he can continue from there, but then at least you have three or four months of being on Accutane already.

If you can afford to go private. If that is not an option I would definitely taken anti inflammatory's. I would also ice it but not to regularly as your skin is already getting heavily damaged. The truth is there is little that would work against a case of acne such as that except accutane. It has the chance of changing your skin drastically for the better.

In the mean time if I were you I would have a complete change in diet and cut out greasy food completely and replace it with fresh fruit, vegetables. Also eat fish high in omega 3.

Although severe acne can lead to scarring I can't actually see any on your face. In my eyes accutane will flatten those all down and you may not even get scarring. You will however get a lot of hyperpigmentation but the good thing is that will fade with them.

I would reccomend seeing if you can get accutane or some kind of a prescription treatment. Topicals and supplements are good, and may help, but for severe acne it often takes something rather heavy to kick start the healing process.

Whatever you do, please keep us updated!

Maybe you can get to a regular doctor who can prescribe some antibiotics while you are waiting to see the dermatologist. Some tetracycline may help. good luck.

Because you've got quite a lot of trapped puss there i'd suggest going for a facial, they'll get rid of it which will make the spots go down alot faster. None of them are big enough to permanently scar. I reckon Accutane is the best course of action for you though, it'll dry em out, you shouldnt get any new spots once the oil glands shrink, as yours look like they are mainly caused by oily skin. fight on brother!!

I would suggest to use gentle face washes such as cetaphil and neutrogena. As for the derm appt...waiting until March is ridiculous! I called the derm a week ago and they said they couldn't give me an appointment for 2 1/2 months, BUT I called everyday for about a week and someone else canceled their appt. and they squeezed me right in. So my advice is keep calling to get an earlier appt. None of us should have to wait months to get a doctor's help. :) Keep pushing and you can do it!

guys have u heard about acne practice? i have seen it in youtube and was very impressed. severe cystic acne were rli eliminated. and u can see the weekly difference of their faces. it's rli amazing. check it out everyone, u might want to consider that