Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alyssa2008.2008

using just water

ok, so i have an idea after reading all these threads of people stop using cleansers and their acne goes away.... me for one, i have acne all over my face, my neck is clear, and the skin there is so smooth, great color. i never wash my neck now that i think of it, water in the shower of course gets on it, but i dont' use cleansers on it, i don't wash my neck before i go to bed like i do my face....so....maybe it IS all these cleansers and constant rubbing on the face?? i think i'm gonna do when i'm in the shower just to let the water touch it like i would my neck......crossing fingers

No, it's just that the neck is a different skin type than your face, which makes your face more prone to acne. The skin type of your neck is very similar to your arms or the back of your hands. Your face tends to be more sensitive.

Why do you think people starting using medications on their face in the first place? Because they had acne.

If you don't properly wash your face with soap, you'll end up with clogged pores which could develop into acne

Yes, I would not say "doesn't work", I would say that this is just one factor of many to address when there is Acne. On its' own, for the majority, it will not work for Acne.

good luck. Using water to wash your face will help a lot. In my experience any type of face wash product soap have all had an effect on my face, whether it was making it drier, more red/pink mostly making it feel more unnatural to touch.

Water alone may work for some people but not for all. Especially the ones with oily skin, you can't get all that oil off your skin alone with just water. So we have to keep using cleansers :doh:

I've been using only water to "cleanse" lately and just using a moisturizer after. I have dry/sensitive skin that used to get oily after using a daily cleanser.. Since switching to water I don't get nearly as oily and my dryness is subsiding day by day from just moisturizing and nothing else.. This works for me, especially in winter. My skin texture is also better since irritation is minimal.

When it gets hot/humid I may need to switch things up because then I start to get pretty oily but for now this is working. I basically just have marks left over that are also fading faster after not irritating them with a cleanser every day.. I'd say doing this is worth a shot if you have mild acne.

The problems with using only water:

1.) For people with oily / acne prone skin, water will not be enough to clear out clogged pores.

2.) Tap water is more drying on the skin than normal water.

3.) Drying leads to dead skin build up and flakiness which can lead to Seborrheic dermatitis in some individuals.

Hence, if you're going to use only water, make sure you rinse thoroughly and apply a moisturizer afterwards.

It might be worth a shot, especially if you have dry/sensitive skin, but I don't think it'll work in the long run. You have a lot more oil glands on your face than on your neck, which is why the pores get clogged and you get acne. But let us know how it goes :)

No, it's just that the neck is a different skin type than your face, which makes your face more prone to acne. The skin type of your neck is very similar to your arms or the back of your hands. Your face tends to be more sensitive.

Why do you think people starting using medications on their face in the first place? Because they had acne.

If you don't properly wash your face with soap, you'll end up with clogged pores which could develop into acne

Agreed. :)

apply a moisturizer afterwards.

i dont believe in moisturizers anymore.

I didn't for a long time either but in the end moisturizers with good ingredients are actually the only thing that have ever improved my skins appearance. I'm still trying to find the perfect one and have been through about 3 in the past 6 months but overall they all worked well and have helped my skin. They don't cure my breakouts(which are likely hormonal or diet related anyway) but they stop dryness and make the rest of my skin glow and more toned.. Just need to find a good one.

I use a moisturizer to help prevent flakiness and dead skin build up which can prevent Seborrheic dermatitis. At the very least it helps with the aesthetic appearance of skin...But of course if it was up to me, I'd only use water and no moisturizer, but I wasn't born with normal skin :(

I use a moisturizer to help prevent flakiness and dead skin build up which can prevent Seborrheic dermatitis. At the very least it helps with the aesthetic appearance of skin...But of course if it was up to me, I'd only use water and no moisturizer, but I wasn't born with normal skin :(

Fair enough. But im still not convinced that not washing or water only will lead to seb derm. ive had areas on my face that have been real flakey and by leaving the flakes/dead skin alone, it goes away for good.

I wash my face with nothing but hot water. Well, ONCE in a great while I'll use soap, and exfoliate. But other than that, nope, just hot water. When I shower in the morning I just let the hot water hit my face, or I gently splash it (no rubbing), and at night before bed I wash my face with hot water from the sink. I let it air-dry, no towel drying. Then I moisturize. This has worked better for me than any cleanser I have ever used, and to tell you the truth I didn't think it would. lol I also take Nature's Cure everyday, so that also let's me get away with not having to wash my face with everything in the world. Ya never know something won't work until you try! :angel:

apply a moisturizer afterwards.

i dont believe in moisturizers anymore.

me either.

Make sure you do NOT listen to any of the posters here like they are any smarter than you, including me.

You gotta figure out things on your own.

For me, doing absolutely nothing (only water that touches my face is in the shower). I do not take anything orally, do not apply anything, I do nothing. I have completely eradicated my acne by doing this.

Good luck.

Washing my face with only water is the only thing which works for me. I began using only water and my skin cleared up really well and probably would have cleared up completely if I had kept at it. I had a few pimples still (tiny ones) and some blackheads which were barely noticeable, but I decided to try a neutrogena acne wash to clear them up. The neutrogena really messed up my skin, which became really dry and peeled, then I broke out on my cheeks and neck where I hadn't had pimples before. This was a few weeks ago, and my skin is still recovering. I've since gone back to using only water and my skin is so much better and is healing well with the pimples gone and no new ones popping up. I steam my face every day and I wash it with just warm water and splash the water on my face, hardly touching my face with my hands, and if I'm in the shower I just let the water hit my face. I do not dry my face with a towel, I let it air dry, and I don't use a washcloth. I actually find that exfolliating my face with a washcloth or a scrub causes me to breakout. I have been using egg white as a mask on my face at night and am finding a very big improvement in the skin. Every now and again I might use oatmeal as a gentle scrub, but for the most part I don't exfoliate.

Everyone's skin is different. I cannot use tea tree oil or witch hazel, both cause me to breakout. I do not use moisturisers, as they make me breakout as well. Instead I use fresh aloe vera gel which if I have a pimple, reduces its size and redness and helps the skin to heal. I cannot use soap on my face, and any product with glycerin in it makes me breakout. I have stopped touching my face and keep my hair tied back off my face, as well as change my pillow slips regularly. I am taking one multivitamin and three evening primrose oil tablets a day (good for the skin and if you're female it relieves pms), and drinking about 6-7 glasses of water a day plus eating pretty healthily. I would give water only a go and see if it works for you, I say give it a month at least, like with all things don't expect it to work overnight. My acne was only very mild and I would say that my pimples were stress and period related and were exacerbated by touching my face and picking them. I think that the less you apply to the face the better.

I wonder how the water only method is working for her.

Personally, I believe that most cleansers make our skin worse. They are way too harsh or are just crap that is marketed well. My skin become 60% more clear after I began cleansing with olive oil. Some days I don't wash my face, and I don't break out.

Since everyone's skin is unique, the regimens that we use will be different. But, in my experience, the harsher the cleanser, the worse off the skin. There is no need to overdry your skin and strip it of oil. Dry skin gets clogged with flakes, which means more pimples could be formed. Also, you may experience breakouts from irritation.

As for moisturizer, I don't use it during the day, unless I'm wearing makeup. I have oily skin and don't need it.

That's my 2 cents.

I always found that these acne solutions basically took the various theories out there, then cram as many ingredients as they can into the solution so that they can claim to combat acne in various ways.

The result, for me at least, was that most solutions made things worse.

I wouldn't recommend using just water... its not enough to clean your face properly. Try going for something that doesn't have many ingredients. I have used Dove Moisturising soap for a long time now and it beats the 10-15 other topicals I've tried.