Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FromTheInsideOut

I haven't left my house for two months...I gave myself poison ivy to get out of seeing my fiance....this is just getting ridiculous.

Hi everyone...

Well, it's my miserable self who finally decided to join this forum after waiting for over a year (because I felt like I was admitting I was a freak if I DID join)... but now I'm at my wit's end and need some help.

I have a fiancé in CA (I’m in MA) and we see each other every few months (these back and forth visits have been going on for a couple years), but a week or so ago, he was scheduled to fly in and visit me for a week to visit me. Well, my cystic acne got TERRIBLE two weeks before he came (I had perfect skin for about 8 mos. coming off an amazing herbal treatment; didn't work the 2nd time around, though – then got horrible when summer ended) and I KNEW it would be a horrible visit if he came (I wouldn't even be able to look at him; he would think I hated him).

So what did this brilliant gal do? Went out in the woods and rubbed crushed poisonivy plants all over every inch of exposed skin! Yep. And spent the next week in the hospital, but it was still better than facing my fiance with horrible cystic acne.

I am attaching a picture of the side of my face. Any suggestions would be a lifesaver. I can’t put off his visit forever. (And I reeeaaaally want to see him again too!!) Thank you guys SO much!

-Beauty

FromTheInsideOut

post-87792-1226457842_thumb.jpg

post-87792-1226457842_thumb.jpg

Hi there! We all have done ridiculous things to treat or hide or acne, and while poison ivy is a new one, please don't beat yourself up too much for it - the important part is that you're here and you're getting help! Please know that you are welcomed and questions are a good thing!

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the treatments of cystic acne, but I know that someone will be able to hop in here shortly and give some very good advice soon! What is your treatment history, what have you tried in the past?

Along with what anyone else here says that pertains to cystic acne, get poster board and tape it over ALL mirrors and all surfaces that reflect enough for you to stare at yourself.

Having acne can really depress and stress you. I have found the *BEST* way for me to control my acne was to stop trying to control it. Stop caring. Stop worrying. I do not know that that will cure you like it did me, but if sure will not hurt.

Hello! I understand how you feel, really! I have a similas cystic acne, and I know it is very frustrating! I had a beautiful skin 4 months ago!, but my life changed radically, I was under a lot of stress, and stopped taking the pill, etc, and my skin went crazy!, at first I thought it was just for couple of weeks, but time passed by and started to get worse, finally I decided to visit a derm, so know I am almost in my second week of treatment. I am on the pill again, oral antibiotic and a gel called steviamicyn. Plus a good diet and vitamin supplements. I really can not tell know if I am getting better or not, it seems I am getting better, but these things work slowlly so I know I have to be patient.

I will reccomend for you to visit a derm, do not do things yourself, it is better if we have somebody that knows.

I wish you the best, and keep us updated.

You are NOT alone.

:surprised:

I can certainly sympathize since my acne used to be very similar to that approx. 8 months ago, but I managed to clear it up with a healthy diet in under 2 months. It IS Possible to have clear skin again(along with better overall health). There is a lot of contradicting info here, but to start Id say to start a diet of basically meat and vegetables. Perhaps eat a small portion of meat once or twice a day along with some veggies. The remainder of the day stick to just vegetables and maybe a little fruit for snacks. This is what worked for me, and while it may not be right for you, it is at least a start. I am sure a diet like this will give some results though, and then you can tweak it to fit your body's needs.

Im sure lots of people will recommend supplements but I think most are crap except herbs. Maybe try taking some olive leaf powder daily, along with a little oregano oil. Both have some antibacterial/fungal properties that helped me out a lot.

FInally, as crazy as it seems, one of the best things I did is stop using cleansers and topicals. Washing briefly with just water helped my skin dramtically. SO perhaps try a quick wash of just water twice/day. Hopefully my advice gives you something to consider. I am sure others will add their 2 cents as well, which likely will go against what I said, but you just have to find what you think sounds best and go for it. Set a goal for yourself to eat healthy and stick to it and I am certain you will be please with the results. Good luck.

oh, and drink lots of water!!!!!!!!!!!!

The herbal treatment I tried was AcnEase...I was on it for a little over two mos. (but it cleared EVERYTHING up in about three weeks - only got an occasional little breakout for the next several mos. - and that was only during my monthly cycle).... The first month I tried the AE5 treatment (5 bottles a month), the next month I did AE7 (to help with scarring) - and it worked! I was shocked because I thought I was just beyond treatment at that point.....my scars were gone in three months (AcnEase continued working even after I stopped taking the supplements). But when I tried it again in August, it did absolutely NOTHING because my acne was so much worse and I was probably immune to all the herbs in it because I'd been on it only a few months earlier. I don't know. It didn't make sense that it didn't work the second time.

The only thing I remember doing different back then (that I do rarely now) while I was on AcnEase, was drinking TONS of lemon water all day - then after washing my face at night, I wet a cottonball with lemon juice and used it as a toner. That probably helped to accelerate the fading of my scars too. (I also used diluted vinegar occasionally instead of the lemon juice -- makes your skin so SOFT!) Also, like every other night, I used the St. Ives green apple Beta-Hydroxy masque (I haven't been able to find it at Wal-Mart for the past few months, though, so either St. Ives discontinued it or Wal-Mart just isn't selling it anymore). Either way, it worked well to keep my pores clean and accelerate new turnover quickly.

Sleaman: Yes!!!!! Oregano oil is WONDERFUL for acne! And a number of other things....you're totally right -- my acne is just so severe right now, and so deep under my skin that it'll probably take a few mos. for it to do any real good.

As far as a derm...I have an appt. in March. Yeeeaah. (And they won't even allow me to get cortisone shots for these almost-1/2-inch-cysts I've been dealing with since August.) I hear that this is their busiest season (from Aug/Sept. to January or so - because so many people are dealing with post-summer acne breakouts and sun damage, I think.) But anyway, meanwhile I don't want to end up with any more scarring than I already have (not going to happen, though...I scar like crazy!) So that's why I hopped on here.

I am looking for ANY ideas anyone has. I am totally sold on herbs and health foods too, but will probably try anything at this point too. I know I need to include more green stuff in my diet, but as far as whole grains and lots of veggies with Vitamin A (like carrots, yams, etc.) and very little sugar/dairy/white flour....I'm pretty good about it. And I drink 84 oz. of water a day. I think I just must have a really severe chronic infection....and it just keeps reinfecting itself. I don't know! It doesn't make any sense!

Thank you guys so much for caring and helping!!

Well to calm it down quickly my advice would be a short juice fast. I dont think its a cure neccesarily but it should help get it somewhat under control quickly. Good Luck.

Well to calm it down quickly my advice would be a short juice fast. I dont think its a cure neccesarily but it should help get it somewhat under control quickly. Good Luck.

I will advocate that as well.

During the time of my worst acne, a while back, I did a 3-day juice fast and it basically stopped my acne in its tracks.

You could do a 3-day juice fast right before you see your man. I will warn you though that you will have no sexual energy after the fast for a couple days.

I had very similar acne to yours when starting college, although it was mostly around my chin and mouth. I felt terrible having to start off with such horrible skin, but I decided to wait it out and keep a low profile. I hadnt had anything that before before in my life, I had no idea how to deal with it. I kept telling myself that it will get better. I decided to make radical changes to my diet, and my skin is looking much better, im not after perfection, I am going to start living my life. I am 100% convinced that acne is much more a symptom than anything else. There is something wrong on the inside, live on fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans, seeds, and WATER for about 5 days. It will work wonders for your skin.

This is not related to nutrition but what worked for me to relieve the pain, swelling, and redness was ibuprofen. Taken both orally and topically (crushed and mixed with tea tree oil and a little rubbing alcohol into a neutral water based moisturizer, left on overnight).

just wondering if trying another derm. might be an option? i have found that the more simple and natural my regimen is, the better. also i agree diet is really important, i try to eat as "natural" as possible- i was shocked at how many foods i used to eat were loaded with chemicals, dyes and preservatives. other things to avoid for me are caffiene, alcohol and any detergeants with dye or fragrance in them. about 6-8 months ago i couldn't even look any one in the eye and avoided talking to people because i was so humiliated by my acne, i am almost clear right now, but it has taken a while to get here, be as patient as possible, you're not alone and it can get better!

my regimen:

AM-wash with warm water and acne.org cleanser, air dry face, apply acne.org bp thin coat and rub in gently( almost like you would a moisturizer)if any areas of my skin are really dry i apply a small amount of Aveeno baby, fragrance free daily moisture lotion to the dry area only

PM before bed-wash with warm water and acne.org cleanser, air dry face, apply acne.org bp thick coat all over face and let it soak in

every day- watch diet, avoid chemicals, dyes, preservatives, caffiene, alcohol. make sure anything that touches my skin has been washed in a dye free, fragrance free detergeant. no make-up and try not to let any hair care products touch the skin on my face(shampoo,cond.,hairspray,etc.)

Well, I try to observe a very healthy diet -- eat lots of green things (spinach especially) - eat no condiments (only some black pepper or salt here and there), lots of raw fruits and veggies, brown rice, oatmeal, homemade 100% whole wheat bread...etc. And water especially! I drink lots of water -- no caffeinated drinks at all!

I think I did find a product that works, though...I only started taking it a couple days ago, but I have seen HUGE improvement in my acne... these pills are called "Margarite Pills" - it's like a herbal Chinese medicine - you take 6 little pills in the morning and 6 in the evening (they are small and round and white and sugar-coated...if you suck them too long, they taste like really dry, roasted peanuts or something -- kind of dry out your whole mouth!).

If I keep seeing such great improvement, I will probably do a more in-depth post about these pills, but for now...thank so much for all your suggestions and help!! I have one more question.... what do you guys think of aspirin masks? I was thinking of trying one some time soon.

Well, I try to observe a very healthy diet -- eat lots of green things (spinach especially) - eat no condiments (only some black pepper or salt here and there), lots of raw fruits and veggies, brown rice, oatmeal, homemade 100% whole wheat bread...etc. And water especially! I drink lots of water -- no caffeinated drinks at all!

I think I did find a product that works, though...I only started taking it a couple days ago, but I have seen HUGE improvement in my acne... these pills are called "Margarite Pills" - it's like a herbal Chinese medicine - you take 6 little pills in the morning and 6 in the evening (they are small and round and white and sugar-coated...if you suck them too long, they taste like really dry, roasted peanuts or something -- kind of dry out your whole mouth!).

If I keep seeing such great improvement, I will probably do a more in-depth post about these pills, but for now...thank so much for all your suggestions and help!! I have one more question.... what do you guys think of aspirin masks? I was thinking of trying one some time soon.

I was eating a lot of the same foods you are thinking I was healthy.

However, Grians is not healthy for most acne sufferers.

Quit all grains including brown rice, oatmeal(I used to eat a lot of this each day)

Base your diet on meat, fish, veggis, fruits, cod liver oil, extra virgin olive oil, eggs, water, coconut and some beans and nuts. Try to get organic products.

I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but it's certainly worth a try. Give it a couple of weeks with no cheating and see if you get any improvements.

Good luck!

...the next month I did AE7 (to help with scarring) - and it worked! I was shocked because I thought I was just beyond treatment at that point.....my scars were gone in three months

I hope everything is going well for you with the margarite pills. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Hey, I wanted to ask you...what kind of scars that you had that AE7 was able to remove?

They must have simply been pigmented marks rather than sunken pitted scars, correct?

Good luck!!

I hope everything is going well for you with the margarite pills. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Hey, I wanted to ask you...what kind of scars that you had that AE7 was able to remove?

They must have simply been pigmented marks rather than sunken pitted scars, correct?

Good luck!!

Hi Scarcrash!

Thank you! I will definitely keep everyone updated!

Well, the scars I had were mostly from pigmentation, but I know the texture of my skin was pretty uneven too. I'm trying to remember exactly.... I know my pores were huge and I had a few little icepick scars - maybe only two or three indented scars (but they were fairly superficial, if I remember correctly). But I was also doing the whole drinking lemon juice in water every day and using vinegar as a toner routine at the same time and I know that is also supposed to work with certain kinds of scars too, over an extended period of time.

My skin renews itself pretty well in general these days (since I started the Margarite pills), and I am starting to find that an indented scar I had in the center of my forehead (from a deep, cyst I had that lasted almost 7 months - YUCK!!) is REALLY beginning to fade (the same thing happened with AcnEase (both are Chinese medicines, AE has just been restructured, reworked slightly, and etc. for sale in the states, I think).

As soon as all my actual cysts and etc. clears up (hoping for 3-4 weeks), I'm going to have a moderate TCA peel (12%-to-25%, not sure yet) done to take care of the light, indented surface scars that my second time-around with cystic acne managed to inflict on me!!

Hope this helps!!

From the Inside Out,

I just wanted to add my thoughts/opinion.

Herbs, vitamins, minerals, diet are all important adjunct to treatment and for some can really help.

But it sounds as if you are desperate (ie. the poison ivy). Desperate means you need more than vitamins and herbs.

Can I suggest either accutane or laser treatments?

Also, try getting into to see the dermatologist ASAP. If you are stuck on the one Doc, call every day to see if there are cancellations.

My advice for laser treatments are Isolaz or Photodynamic therapy. Get on the internet and search these and see which docs perform them in your area.

Tackle this one! You can do it. Something will work, you just have to be personally aggressive in finding your treatment.

1. Only eat raw and natural foods: fruits, vegetables, seeds, and meats. Snack on these foods throughout the day rather than two or three large meals.

2. Buy some bath sea salt online, and take two sea salt baths a day, one when you wake up, the other when you go to bed (water should be warm to hot, stay in the bath with your face soaked under water for atleast 20 minutes.)

3. Go to bed and wake up at the same time everyday. Achieve a minimum of 8 hours of sleep. EVERYDAY.

4. Do NOT touch or pick at your face. I wouldn't even reccomend LOOKING at your face in the mirror for the next 30 days.

Follow steps 1-4 religiously for 30 days, then come post a "after" picture.

:dance:

P.S. Do NOT use accutane or any other harmful treatment, it will only worsen your acne in the long run.