Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FedUpLizzie

Accutane Very Mild Acne? HELP!!!

Hey, :confused:

My acne is very mild, but there all in little groups. Like around 6 spots all concentrated on my cheek and then a few on the other cheek and around 3 spots on my forehead with all sorts of small scars everywhere. Most are inflamed and there are also spots i can see under the surface just waiting to come out :( There hasn't been a day for about 3 months now where i have been completely clear and my acne has been quite persistant for 2 years now. (Im 19) If one spot goes, more will just appear and its really getting me down. Im always depressed about it and haven't left my house for 3 months. Luckily I'm on a gap year so i dont have to go anywhere.

I've tried all the OTC stuff like Benzoyl Peroxide (Quinoderm, Panoxyl) Freederm as well as Sacilyc acid, Proactiv, Topical antibiotics (Rozex Metronidazole gel), Differin, Stieva-A cream and then all the other rubbish like Clearasil, Oxy, Neutrogena etc. I have also been on the pill Dianette for the past 3 months which has made no difference and im still breaking out. All these creams dont seem to have much effect, they work for a little while and then they stop never completely clearing it, as i continue to break out and get more and more red scars.

My skin is pretty oily most of the time and sometimes i get red spots that can be quite painful but there not as big as cysts. I am going privately to a dermatologist soon as im sick and tired of topicals that do not clear it, and me still breaking out and getting more scars. I really want to go on Accutane and yes i know about all the side effects and the iPledge system and the blood tests and im not sexually active and wont be either, so that wouldnt effect me. I believe the benefits definitely outweigh the risks for me and am willing to go through it all as although my acne is very mild, it is really effecting my life and i want a long-term cure. I Have read of many peoples acne returning after they have come off Dianette aswell and i really dont want to go through that.

I am just wondering does anyone know if my story qualifies for Accutane as my acne is only very mild but is effecting me alot! Do you think the dermatologist would let me go on it even if i start on a low-dose as i dont want him to prescribe me with yet another topical or antibiotics as they arent good for your liver long term, and the acne just returns once your off them. My aunty and 4 of my cousins have all been on Accutane with amazing results and all were fine, im now the only one suffering.

Anyone have any ideas if i would get it?? Sorry it was so long Guyss..

email: [email protected]

I had that kind of acne, exactly with deeper red spots that weren't cysts.

I got Accutane very easily from my derm, but if you are on the British NHS system I do not know how that might work out.

Good luck.

Your case sounds pretty much like mine. You can go the same way as I did 20mg of accutane per day.

Anyway dianette didn't work on me either and I gave it up after 3 months because my acne was getting worse and went down the accutane road.

Hey, :confused:

My acne is very mild, but there all in little groups. Like around 6 spots all concentrated on my cheek and then a few on the other cheek and around 3 spots on my forehead with all sorts of small scars everywhere. Most are inflamed and there are also spots i can see under the surface just waiting to come out :( There hasn't been a day for about 3 months now where i have been completely clear and my acne has been quite persistant for 2 years now. (Im 19) If one spot goes, more will just appear and its really getting me down. Im always depressed about it and haven't left my house for 3 months. Luckily I'm on a gap year so i dont have to go anywhere.

I've tried all the OTC stuff like Benzoyl Peroxide (Quinoderm, Panoxyl) Freederm as well as Sacilyc acid, Proactiv, Topical antibiotics (Rozex Metronidazole gel), Differin, Stieva-A cream and then all the other rubbish like Clearasil, Oxy, Neutrogena etc. I have also been on the pill Dianette for the past 3 months which has made no difference and im still breaking out. All these creams dont seem to have much effect, they work for a little while and then they stop never completely clearing it, as i continue to break out and get more and more red scars.

My skin is pretty oily most of the time and sometimes i get red spots that can be quite painful but there not as big as cysts. I am going privately to a dermatologist soon as im sick and tired of topicals that do not clear it, and me still breaking out and getting more scars. I really want to go on Accutane and yes i know about all the side effects and the iPledge system and the blood tests and im not sexually active and wont be either, so that wouldnt effect me. I believe the benefits definitely outweigh the risks for me and am willing to go through it all as although my acne is very mild, it is really effecting my life and i want a long-term cure. I Have read of many peoples acne returning after they have come off Dianette aswell and i really dont want to go through that.

I am just wondering does anyone know if my story qualifies for Accutane as my acne is only very mild but is effecting me alot! Do you think the dermatologist would let me go on it even if i start on a low-dose as i dont want him to prescribe me with yet another topical or antibiotics as they arent good for your liver long term, and the acne just returns once your off them. My aunty and 4 of my cousins have all been on Accutane with amazing results and all were fine, im now the only one suffering.

Anyone have any ideas if i would get it?? Sorry it was so long Guyss..

email: [email protected]

Hmm - my acne was much worse than yours and I had it for a much longer time. None of my GPs ever talked of even sending me to a dermatologist, let alone suggesting that I take accutane. That's just my experience however and different GPs may be different, particularly if you are willing to go privately and pay for it yourself - I very much believe this is what drives them. If you can demonstrate that your acne, whilst mild, is scarring, this may also be a persuasive factor for them.

I hear you regarding Dianette. When I got off it my acne was terrible. One GP even said to me that there is some suggestion that people who take Dianette for acne get acne much worse when they get off it. Great ...

My only other comment would be to not take the side effects too lightly. There are a few people who frequent these boards who say that the side effects have literally ruined their lives. For me, it was the exact opposite, but the risk was worth taking because my acne was awful.

Your story sounds exactly like mine...I'm starting accutane in a month and I was wondering if you could tell me how it went for you. Did you have one of the "worse before better" weeks despite having mild acne? And how dry did your skin get? Thanks so much!