Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
i_hate_acne_

Accutane or No Accutane?...PLEASE LEAVE YOUR ADVICE/COMMENTS....ALL TAKEN VERY SERIOUSLY

Ok, so here's the deal: I'm 17 and I have mild to moderate acne that is controlled very well using the Regimen. I started the Regimen about 4-5 weeks ago and its been great. However, the time it takes for me to do the Regimen every morning and night is really starting to get really obtrusive. I have been late for school a lot and I don't get to bed until later than I should.

Taking into account that this is huge issue with me, should I go on Accutane, and just not have to deal with acne anymore? I know Accutane is usually for people with "severe, cystic acne" (which mine is not), but mine is persistent. One half of my mind is just telling me to deal with the Regimen until I hopefully eventually outgrow acne(could take years), and will be left with no side effects. The other half is saying take Accutane for six months and not have to deal with acne in college :)...but might be left with side effects.

You should also know my brother took Accutane when he was my age (he was more severe than me), and he doesnt do squat anymore and he's perfectly clear, which tells me that Accutane should work for me.

I want to have the freedom to go where life takes me in college, and not have to come back to do the Regimen. But I'm also scared about the side effects. PLEASE HELP..ANYTHING YOU KNOW/WANT TO SAY WILL DEFINITELY AFFECT MY DECISION.

Thanks.

There are severe side effects associated with Accutane usage. Accutane itself is indicated ONLY for severe acne or acne that is scarring. If you have neither you shouldn't even consider Accutane.

Please read the ENTIRE following prescribing/patient information about Accutane to slightly apprise you of the risks involved: http://www.rocheusa.com/products/accutane/pi.pdf

Read the ENTIRE article.

Don't do it. The side effects of Accutane can be horribly painful, scarring and permanent. It really is a last resort- and even then, a LOT of people with severe acne who went on accutane and developed side-effects now wish they hadn't taken it. It's very hard to imagine just how hard it is to live with bad side-effects when you haven't experienced them, but I hope you'll heed this warning. Just go visit the Accutane message board on this forum and read through the bad experiences. You don't have bad skin, don't take this gamble!

My acne was mild but persistent for six years, and I've been on Accutane for four months now. I'm on a low dosage (20mg), and it's been working great - dryness (lips, eyes and skin) is really the only side effect I've had. If it's bothering you enough to interfere with your life, maybe you should have a chat to a derm, and try out a low dosage. Hope it works out for you! :)

Seriously, you want my serious advice?

You are being lazy and arrogant and pretty naive as to the risk you are considering. You have your acne under control with the current Regimen that only takes 40-60 minutes out of your life everyday and even that time isn't entirely spent on the regimen as you can do other things like get dressed/have breakfast whilst waiting for the BP to dry.

You are gambling with your health because you refuse to make a committment, that's extremely poor. I and many would do anything to keep acne under control and a simple regimen that works like this is a minor inconvenience in life compared to the low self-esteem and confidence.

I said this to DJfunz who took the same 'lazy' approach because effectively he 'couldn't be bothered'. Acne is no different to having something like Diabetes where you need to treat yourself daily. At least you have found something that works and hopefully you'll outgrow your acne soon. If you hate doing it so much, try cutting down to one a day or skip the odd application and see what happens.

I took accutane and regret it wholeheartedly. If the BP regimen worked for me I would of been overjoyed to have such a brilliant, low risk and simple solution to my 8+ years of acne.

PS: I took tane for persistant moderate acne that didn't respond to any other treatments over a 7 year period and now I am left in constant pain on a daily basis. I have severe chronic joint pain in EVERY joint. I'm probably a minority but hopefully this gives you some form of perspective as to how stupid you might be should you decide to take accutane in the case of your non-existent (because it's under control!!!) acne.

uhh yeah, you don't want to go on accutane if your acne is under control. no offence but i would slap you if you were in the same room as me lol (as a joke of course :P). you should be jumping for joy that the regimen works for you...if you're late for school, wake up earlier. if you get to bed late, start the regimen eralier. discipline!

accutane should only be used as a last resort...i went on accutane in teh past. i have some joint pain that still persists every now and then and also developed really really bad headaches while i was on it. could have been pseudotumor cerebri but after i got it chcked out it turns out it wasn't. anyway the headaches still persist (although htey are much more mild and less frequent).

Seriously, you want my serious advice?

You are being lazy and arrogant and pretty naive as to the risk you are considering. You have your acne under control with the current Regimen that only takes 40-60 minutes out of your life everyday and even that time isn't entirely spent on the regimen as you can do other things like get dressed/have breakfast whilst waiting for the BP to dry.

You are gambling with your health because you refuse to make a committment, that's extremely poor. I and many would do anything to keep acne under control and a simple regimen that works like this is a minor inconvenience in life compared to the low self-esteem and confidence.

I said this to DJfunz who took the same 'lazy' approach because effectively he 'couldn't be bothered'. Acne is no different to having something like Diabetes where you need to treat yourself daily. At least you have found something that works and hopefully you'll outgrow your acne soon. If you hate doing it so much, try cutting down to one a day or skip the odd application and see what happens.

I took accutane and regret it wholeheartedly. If the BP regimen worked for me I would of been overjoyed to have such a brilliant, low risk and simple solution to my 8+ years of acne.

PS: I took tane for persistant moderate acne that didn't respond to any other treatments over a 7 year period and now I am left in constant pain on a daily basis. I have severe chronic joint pain in EVERY joint. I'm probably a minority but hopefully this gives you some form of perspective as to how stupid you might be should you decide to take accutane in the case of your non-existent (because it's under control!!!) acne.

There's nothing "arrogant", "lazy", "naive" and "stupid" about wanting acne gone for good. Acne - even mild to moderate - is no fun, especially when you've been battling it for years. Yes, Accutane has side effects, but these differ from person to person so you can't generalise just because you've had a bad experience. My acne had just started to flare up at 15, and I really wish I had nipped it in the bud with Accutane back then, as opposed to having six years of struggling with different topicals and antibiotics and never letting anyone see me without makeup.

i_hate_acne_ asked for your opinion, but lay off the name-calling - we're in this together, right?

There's nothing "arrogant", "lazy", "naive" and "stupid" about wanting acne gone for good. Acne - even mild to moderate - is no fun, especially when you've been battling it for years. Yes, Accutane has side effects, but these differ from person to person so you can't generalise just because you've had a bad experience. My acne had just started to flare up at 15, and I really wish I had nipped it in the bud with Accutane back then, as opposed to having six years of struggling with different topicals and antibiotics and never letting anyone see me without makeup.

i_hate_acne_ asked for your opinion, but lay off the name-calling - we're in this together, right?

He/She has their acne UNDER CONTROL. That is a completely different story, are you stupid too then? I know it's no fun but this is a pointless risk when it can be effectively managed by something easy and non-dangerous. Wake up and smell the damn coffee woman.

He/She has their acne UNDER CONTROL. That is a completely different story, are you stupid too then? I know it's no fun but this is a pointless risk when it can be effectively managed by something easy and non-dangerous. Wake up and smell the damn coffee woman.

Actually, I find it hard to take you seriously because of your aggressiveness and cynicism.

I'm not saying she SHOULD take Accutane, I'm saying a low-dose option is something she could consider and chat with a derm about, if it really is a "huge issue" for her. Although her acne is "under control", it's still a problem. Putting Benzoyl Peroxide on your skin every day for years isn't exactly harmless - it's been known to cause premature skin aging and even skin cancer. Here's the research:

http://www.bion-research.com/benzoyl_perox...skin_damage.htm

I'm not going to get into any further debates, because I'm not trying to sway her one way or the other. I'm just letting her know that Accutane has worked for me and a number of my friends without any major side-effects. I'm sorry that it didn't work for you.

Actually, I find it hard to take you seriously because of your aggressiveness and cynicism.

I'm not saying she SHOULD take Accutane, I'm saying a low-dose option is something she could consider and chat with a derm about, if it really is a "huge issue" for her. Although her acne is "under control", it's still a problem. Putting Benzoyl Peroxide on your skin every day for years isn't exactly harmless - it's been known to cause premature skin aging and even skin cancer. Here's the research:

http://www.bion-research.com/benzoyl_perox...skin_damage.htm

I'm not going to get into any further debates, because I'm not trying to sway her one way or the other. I'm just letting her know that Accutane has worked for me and a number of my friends without any major side-effects. I'm sorry that it didn't work for you.

BP has not been proven as an inducer of cancer. She is taking an unnecessary risk - that part is obvious.

Hi thread starter, if you really want to take on the accutane option then may I suggest you 5mg daily? No more than that and 5mg is good enough to clear up your acne and reduce the chance of experiencing severe side effects dramatically.

Accutane is a very harsh solution to acne.

I took it for awhile during early high school as my acne was starting to take a turn into the severe and scar (still have a scar on my nose). As a demonstration of what it will do.

My skin got so dry during use, if I didn't moisturize my lips would crack and bleed. Exposed to either sun or cold weather, my skin in general was prone to tearing really easily. You have to get blood drawn every time you get a refill just so they can make sure the Accutane is not affecting your immune system. It wreaks -havoc- upon your liver and with any combination of other medications can have serious medical complications.

For controllable acne I can never recommend it. Your physical health is secondary to whatever mild embarassment might arise from the presence of acne. Accutane should only be used in the most serious cases where acne is beginning to actually damage your skin and is uncontrollable by over-the-counter products.

Accutane doesn't work for everyone and the acne might come back, I would ask your doc about benzylcline (sp?), it's a stronger topical treatment for your type of acne.

Yeah, I have to agree with Heldenbrand that accutane can cause unnecessary scarring especially when taking high dose.

I'd go for it, acne sucks, especially when you're 17 and you're like the only one that age with acne. I weigh 146 pounds and am on a 40mg course. 3,5 months in and not major problems so far.

I think you should do some research about Accutane and fully inform yourself about the possible side effects. Then, if you're still interested, you should talk with your derm about it. Having a chat about it isn't going to hurt.

There are people here that will try to scare you out of taking Accutane, but they are not dermatologists. That doesn't mean you shouldn't consider what they have to say, but your derm is in a better position to help you find what works for YOU.

You could also consider other topicals or oral antibiotics to start, if you think that would be easier than the regimen. I second the person who says to ask about benzaclin - I found it to be very effective.

Hey, :confused:

I'm the same as you my acne is very mild, but there all in little groups. Like around 6 spots all concentrated on my cheek and then a few on the other cheek and around 3 spots on my forehead with all sorts of small scars everywhere. Most are inflamed and there are also spots i can see under the surface just waiting to come out :( There hasn't been a day for about 3 months now where i have been completely clear and my acne has been quite persistant for 2 years now. (Im 19) If one spot goes, more will just appear and its really getting me down. Im always depressed about it and haven't left my house for 3 months. Luckily I'm on a gap year so i dont have to go anywhere.

I've tried all the OTC stuff like Benzoyl Peroxide (Quinoderm, Panoxyl) Freederm as well as Sacilyc acid, Proactiv, Topical antibiotics (Rozex Metronidazole gel), Differin, Stieva-A cream and then all the other rubbish like Clearasil, Oxy, Neutrogena etc. I have also been on the pill Dianette for the past 3 months which has made no difference and im still breaking out. All these creams dont seem to have much effect, they work for a little while and then they stop never completely clearing it, as i continue to break out and get more and more red scars.

My skin is pretty oily most of the time and sometimes i get red spots that can be quite painful but there not as big as cysts. I am going privately to a dermatologist soon as im sick and tired of topicals that do not clear it, and me still breaking out and getting more scars. I really want to go on Accutane and yes i know about all the side effects and the iPledge system and the blood tests and im not sexually active and wont be either, so that wouldnt effect me. I believe the benefits definitely outweigh the risks for me and am willing to go through it all as although my acne is very mild, it is really effecting my life and i want a long-term cure. I Have read of many peoples acne returning after they have come off Dianette aswell and i really dont want to go through that.

I am just wondering does anyone know if my story qualifies for Accutane as my acne is only very mild but is effecting me alot! Do you think the dermatologist would let me go on it even if i start on a low-dose as i dont want him to prescribe me with yet another topical or antibiotics as they arent good for your liver long term, and the acne just returns once your off them. My aunty and 4 of my cousins have all been on Accutane with amazing results and all were fine, im now the only one suffering.

Anyone have any ideas if i would get it?? Sorry it was so long Guyss..

email: [email protected]

if you are working well with the regimen.. then keep it up... try doing your morning wake up routine while mixing the regimen in between that...

example.....

Wake up... wash your face as soon as you wake up.

Go eat - which should take 5 - 15 minutes

Apply BP

Get dressed, do your hair, brush teeth which will take 5 - 15 minutes

Apply moisturizer and leave the house

If you do the regimen, it should not make it late for school, just get some things done in between instead of standing in front of the mirror looking at your face.

let me know what you think

Wow!

I forgot to check my post for a couple days and I'm overjoyed that I actually got so many responses. Thank you all so much for putting the time in and helping me, I truly appreciate it.

As I said in the post's title, I have read all of your comments and weighing them all until I come down to my final decision.

Also, rereading my description, I should clarify that my acne is NOT TOTALLY under control with use of the Regimen so far, it is just a lot better than it was. I also do not believe that I am being "lazy" or "arrogant". It just feels like to me that everyone around me has clear skin and (knowing it worked for my brother), I am choosing between ending acne for good (w/ side effects), or doing years of more work (no side effects). To me this is not a question of lazy vs. determined but between having my mind at ease vs. always checking to see if I have something new on my face.

I think I'm leaning towards going the full 3 months of the Regimen and reassessing then. However, the lose dose (low side effects) argument does sound attractive. Keep the responses coming, they all make a difference.

If you do decide to go ahead with treatment, do make sure you opt for the low dose course when discussing with your derm. A max of 20mg will no doubt help your mild acne, well, actually look at Tired Princess' post where Accutane made her acne much more severe.

It's a gamble still.

im 17 also and started accutane last week was on it for 7 days and then experienced heavy dizziness and sickness. ive come off it now and chucked it away. its some awful s**t i do not recommend it. there are too many bad side effects involved for my liking, but good luck if you decide to go for it