Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Adam08

for the men in this forum

in my opinion, if you are an adult male then there is a very good chance that you're here because your skin is irritated. I strongly encourage you to get off whatever you're on (topicals/cleansers etc) and let your skin heal. search threads by waterwater, alexlalmighty and jan carlo. Many people have had success. i find myself telling many people this and there is a fair chance that people are sick and tired of me going on about it. I keep saying it because i know that i'll be off this site very soon so im trying to get the word out as much as possible.

oh and yeh, by irritation i mean that you have no acid mantle on your face. i never knew what the acid mantle was a month ago, im so fortunate that i do now

I'm a 23 year old guy. I've used the "get off whatever you're on" method several times for periods of several months. It doesn't cure acne

I'm a 23 year old guy. I've used the "get off whatever you're on" method several times for periods of several months. It doesn't cure acne

fair enough

Doubt this works for everyone, or the majority with acne.

I never washed with anything other than water and suddenly I started breaking out. I've then resorted to all sorts of products and even if I did try returning back to water only, I would still break out.

i know that as adult men, we're in the minority when it comes to acne. i forgot the age brackets, but sometime around 30 i think is the oldest men usually have acne till. and most by 25 have all but completely stopped breaking out. sucks hardcore that i turned 30 this year and i'm still dealing with it...and if it weren't for the fact that i breakout on my shoulders alot, i'd say that going minimalist is the way to go. but.......i'm not so lucky. i'm happy that it's worked for some of the men here though, and thanks for the info because you're right, it could definitely help some men. best of luck.

i know that as adult men, we're in the minority when it comes to acne. i forgot the age brackets, but sometime around 30 i think is the oldest men usually have acne till. and most by 25 have all but completely stopped breaking out. sucks hardcore that i turned 30 this year and i'm still dealing with it...and if it weren't for the fact that i breakout on my shoulders alot, i'd say that going minimalist is the way to go. but.......i'm not so lucky. i'm happy that it's worked for some of the men here though, and thanks for the info because you're right, it could definitely help some men. best of luck.

really good post. yeh i understand that this wont work for everyone.

but with the shoulders thing have you considered that maybe hot showers are contributing to the breakouts?

in my opinion, if you are an adult male then there is a very good chance that you're here because your skin is irritated. I strongly encourage you to get off whatever you're on (topicals/cleansers etc) and let your skin heal. search threads by waterwater, alexlalmighty and jan carlo. Many people have had success. i find myself telling many people this and there is a fair chance that people are sick and tired of me going on about it. I keep saying it because i know that i'll be off this site very soon so im trying to get the word out as much as possible.

oh and yeh, by irritation i mean that you have no acid mantle on your face. i never knew what the acid mantle was a month ago, im so fortunate that i do now

Mate I tried the abstinence method (lack of skin care products) when I was a kid and that was when my skin was in it's worst ever state. I tried this again a few years later and it again it didn't work. Unfortunately I can't escape the fact that I have to use chemicals on my skin!

What I've noticed from people who have tried not using chemicals on their face is they didn't give it a chance to work. Browse the thread in the Regimen forum about what to expect from Dan'sBP. It mentions that your condition may get worse in the beginning, and additionally, months may pass before improvements are seen.

What seems to be a common theme is that when pimples emerge from water only, the person immediately thinks to themselves "my skin needs this (insert cleanser/medication" and they go back to old ways. Yet, when people have pimples emerge using cleansers/medicationthey're more willing to stick through it because its known that things may get better before they get worse. I believe a similar idea should be held with water only.

Obviously, not everyone in the world has access to Dan's cleanser and BP. And if anyones is going to mention the Western Diet, just think about this -- how many overweight people you know have acne? It's not any more prevalent across those who are overweight than those within normal range based on my observations.

What I've noticed from people who have tried not using chemicals on their face is they didn't give it a chance to work. Browse the thread in the Regimen forum about what to expect from Dan'sBP. It mentions that your condition may get worse in the beginning, and additionally, months may pass before improvements are seen.

What seems to be a common theme is that when pimples emerge from water only, the person immediately thinks to themselves "my skin needs this (insert cleanser/medication" and they go back to old ways. Yet, when people have pimples emerge using cleansers/medicationthey're more willing to stick through it because its known that things may get better before they get worse. I believe a similar idea should be held with water only.

Obviously, not everyone in the world has access to Dan's cleanser and BP. And if anyones is going to mention the Western Diet, just think about this -- how many overweight people you know have acne? It's not any more prevalent across those who are overweight than those within normal range based on my observations.

yeh i agree about giving it time. im trying my best to keep an open mind though. maybe some adult males are meant to have acne for some internal reason??. i dont know. someone made a good point in one of those water only forums. she said that people often breakout initially doing it because its during the interval where the skin lacks its ability to fight bacteria. no longer does the skin have BP to fight the bacteria nor has the acid mantle fully recovered to fight the bacteria itself. it takes time. i didnt have an initial breakout because i havent used topicals (differin) for like 18 months. yeh my skin looked terriblle initially (in terms of blotchiness/dead skin) but looks much better now.

honestly it seems that acne is more psychological than physical

there's a book that I read about an effect called "Tension Myositis Syndrome" (TMS), written by Dr. John E. Sarno that I suggest you skim through or check out some time. It mostly deals with chronic back pain but it also can be applied to other physical stressors.

"TMS is a condition in which emotional stress causes physical pain and other symptoms. His theory suggests that the autonomic nervous system decreases blood flow to muscles, nerves or tendons, resulting in oxygen deprivation, experienced as pain and tension in the affected tissues.

Sarno states that the underlying cause of the pain is the mind's defense mechanism against unconscious mental stress and emotions such as anger, anxiety and narcissistic rage. The conscious mind is distracted by the physical pain, as the psychological repression process keeps the anger/rage contained in the unconscious and thereby prevented from entering conscious awareness. Sarno believes that when patients recognize that the symptoms are only a distraction, the symptoms then serve no purpose, and they go away. TMS can be considered a psychosomatic condition and has been referred to as a "distraction pain syndrome".

Acne is not psychological, if it was, Accutane would not work, neither would what I am doing be working (though I will not say so publicly what it is just yet, I have to make sure first). Your psychological reaction to seeing your skin in the mirror might make your health worse, and thus your skin health, but Acne has a physical cause --> look up Chloracne for 1. There is a physical cause. It can be remedied by utilising physical measures. Acne is not due to psychological reasons, I am sure.

Adam08 is right on by referring to the acid mantle and the effect that some detergents / soaps has on it. However, you are not going to be getting much of an acid mantle if your skin is all blocked up (sebum can not flow, meaning no proper acid mantle anyway), so you have to take other measures alongside this "water-only" thing, and you need to make sure that "water-only" means "H2O only", not water along with contamination. Forget saying water only, go for PURE H2O ONLY - (and drink a lot of it while you are at it as well). Tap water can be contaminated with all sorts of things, chlorine in particular.

Wash with pure h2o only, and you will see a difference for sure.

I had tried all kinds of face washes and cleansers over the years, I switched to just water a few months ago and noticed a big improvement.

However I think that no one thing will clear your skin (at least not for me), to get the clearest skin I have to

wash my face only with water

use aloe vera gel for moisturiser

not shave (I like having a beard now and surprisingly so do girls!!!)

Eat healthily - no milk, bread, red meat, coffee and loads of veggies, brown rice etc

No alcohol

not get stressed

Obviously you can't adhere to these rules all the time (alcohol and food rules get broken most often) but 90% of the time keeps me 90% clear and if I have a party a week of my 'regime' gets me where i need to be.

It's taken me a few months of trying different things to figure out the right combination for me but I think most people would get pretty much clear skin if they did what I do and they just have to tweak a couple of things to get 100% clear. I not one of these people that say 'do this and you'll be 100% clear in a week' because is BS, however I believe if you follow a few core rules and make your own slight amendments through trial and error you can get clear.

I was still thinking my acne was because of my hormones because I am kind of a late bloomer. However, I believe now that my acne was coming from myself irritating my skin with all these medications.

I will admit, it is hard to just let go, but it is so relieving once you do.

The problem with this forum is people like adam08 who figure this out, lose any reason to remain here. I too have wondered whats the point to stick around because I am clear now. So what this forum is left with is people who are trying to figure it out and by no means will they listen to people suggesting that they do absolutely nothing.

Anyways, I think he has a point. IF you are a male, and you are through your puberty, you really should take this into consideration. There is no reason for you to still have acne.

Drugs like accutane work because they are made to work. Problems like ADD are solvable with out drugs, however, doctors are happy to prescribe them to you.

Adult acne is a very common problem, but an under-recognized one. Acne can occur later in life. It can be one or both types. People think it doesn't happen in adults, but it does. At the heart of acne lies the pimple what doctors call a comedo. It's a plug of fat, skin debris, and keratin stuck in a hair duct. When it's open, we call it a blackhead. When it's closed over, we call it a whitehead. Whiteheads often cause the walls of the hair duct to rupture. This leads to redness, infection, and the papules, pustules, nodules, and cysts of acne.

-----------------

hesslei..