Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mangopudding

Retin A Cream IB

Hi,

So I started the retin-a cream for my acne. I'm going into week 8 of my treatment, but I'm still breaking out 3-4 pimples at a time every few days, mostly on my cheeks. Once those goes down, another 3-4 pimples will pop up. I started having moderate to severe acne since April 08, ever since my trip back from China, I swear that was the underlying culprit but it's been 10 months now and I"m still breaking out. Before that, I was breaking out monthly, now, it's weekly.

Before retin-a, I was on benzamycin (erythromycin/benzoyl peroxide) since I was 14 and it helped a great bit. Now I'm 23,, and it stopped working for me like 2 years ago. Ever since then, I wasn't quite able to get my acne under control again.

And I have cystic acne now - the kind where it's inflammatory, deep, painful, and are mostly blood inside.

I think I got my intial breakout at week 5 or so, and it's not clearing up and I'm getting into week 8. I've read that alot of ppl have their IB at week 2 or 4 and seem to only last a week or so. Has anyone's IB lasted for this long and continues to get cystic acne? Plus, they're showing up at places where I rarely get acne before- forehead, side of my face, next to my eyes/eyebrows...Should I continue to wait until the 3 months mark before I give up? I'm really pissed and depressed about all this, don't even want to see my friends. The shitty part is that every small or big acne leaves a brown spot on my face, so i really want the acne to stop so I can deal with the brown spots.

I tried using tea tree oil, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid for spot treatment but it does nothing to its natural course! It just continue to grow like normal then flatten down as days go by.Not to mention drying and reddening my skin more than retin=a.

The positive feedbacks on these forums is really what's keeping me on retin-a. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! thank you!

I know some ppl say an ingredient in the cream (isopropyl mystirate) is suppose to aggravate acne, but I put so little on that I don't think it really plays a factor in it. I'm seeing a derm next month for the first time, so I guess I ask him then.

Wow, I'm totally in the same spot as you right now. I've been on retin-a for 6 weeks and my face brokeout worse almost immediately after starting use...I guess about a week after, it was noticeably worse. And it just keeps getting worse! I am sooo discouraged, but what to do?!

I was on clindamycin for years and it did wonders for me but it stopped working and my skin freaked out worse than when I was a teenager...I'm 26 now. I'm going to my doc tomorrow to ask for some Duac, and then use them both and see what that does. I can't go to a dermatologist unfortunately.

I feel your pain. I have to force myself to go out of my home because I just feel like hiding. The very first thing I think about in the morning is "I wonder how my face looks today. More pimples I bet." :wall:

Did anyone else have an IB for this long?

Hang in there and good luck!

Hi guys --

I had an IB with RAM that lasted 7 weeks. Truly horrible, and I sympathize with what you are going through. Mine started around week 8 and lasted through week 15. Amazingly, since then, I've gotten a lot of blackheads, but who cares in comparison to all of the cysts I got during my IB. I really didn't think it was ever going to stop, and then it just did. I do wish I had gotten duac or some other sort of antibiotic while I was going through it.

Things that did help, however, were tea tree oil, benzoil peroxide, and neosporin.

Best of luck to you both...check out my log for further details. Feel free to ask questions too.

Now that I think about it...does benzamycin or benzaclin make you breakout if you put makeup over it? I remember when I was using clindamycin pledgets that I couldn't put anything over it so had to use it at night. I broke out when I used it with makeup, then read that you are not supposed to put anything on after that. Is this stuff the same in that way? I just wanted the bp/antibiotic mix because I heard it takes longer to become immune. But I use retin-a at night.

When I was on the bp/erythromycin combo, I was told that you could put makeup on top of it after it dries in like 15 minutes...but back then, I wasn't really into makeup but I did put some makeup on sometimes after the medicine and during those times, my acne would get not better. I guess makeup in general can just clog pores and all, so even though you may have medcine on the bottom layer to combat bacteria, it didn't seem to benefit when you put makeup on. So i wouldn't recommend putting makeup on if you don't have to. Plus, bcs of the benoyl peroxide content, makeup rolls up badly.

And benzamycin or benzclin is similar but not the same (the first one is with the ab erythromycin and benzaclin is with the ab clindamycin). These days drs seem to use benzaclin more bcs it does not need to be refrigedrated like with benzamycin. As for immunity, it's true that takes a longer time for bacteria to become resistant to it with the addition of bp. However, you could still become resistant to it. And there's a cross-resistance between the two antibiotics i believe, if you're immune to either one of them already, the chance of the other one working is very slight.

Well, I can feel your pain! I feel the same. When I got back from a trip during the summer, I started to develop adult acne, I am 30 years old and I am battling with this.

I went to see a derm and he prescibed an oral antibiotic and a gel called stevamicyn, I think is similar to a Retinoid-A plus a antibiotic, so I am hoping for the best. I have being using it for juts a week and a half, some of my big pimples and healing but I got some new ones, I just hope they do not grow big as some of the ones that I usually get (cysts). I am also on BCP and taking a multivitamin (MUrad) so I hope all this will help.

I now that we have to be patient! something that I really need!

We have to hang in there!

Best wishes for all of us.

M

I have to put makeup on...my skin looks way too bad to not! I feel extra vulnerable without it. I used to only put makeup on couple of days a week, but now I just can't look people in the eye without it.

Has anyone ever put erythromycin gel or any topical antibiotic on at night before putting retin-a on? I'm thinking of using the BP on in the morning and doing this at night. Just as first until I'm sure the erythromycin won't break me out because of putting makeup over it.

Has anyone ever put erythromycin gel or any topical antibiotic on at night before putting retin-a on? I'm thinking of using the BP on in the morning and doing this at night. Just as first until I'm sure the erythromycin won't break me out because of putting makeup over it.

My derm told me to mix in my pea size amount of retin-a with a antibiotic in lotion form... that way it spreads on more evenly.

I think because i have done this I have totally skipped out on the whole irritation/redness/peeling side effect of retin-a.

I am not sure if it will keep my from breaking out, since I haven't gotten to the IB weeks yet?

I wonder if it's ok to do that with a gel too (that's what I have). I do have a hard time spreading it around my face and probably use too much retin-a in the process. I can't see why it wouldn't be working on your skin that way...some people don't get an IB (they have it sooo nice). Anyone mix gel and retin-a?

I wonder if it's ok to do that with a gel too (that's what I have). I do have a hard time spreading it around my face and probably use too much retin-a in the process. I can't see why it wouldn't be working on your skin that way...some people don't get an IB (they have it sooo nice). Anyone mix gel and retin-a?

Mine is actually in the gel form. I use the pea-sized amount and mix it in with about a dime size of my antibiotic lotion (brand if siggy- i can't spell ;)) and it smooths on ever so nicely.

i used to mix some of the topical clindamycin gel into my retin-a cream, and it was awesome. a MUCH cheaper version of Ziana, which is simply tretinoin and clindamycin in one. anyhow, about the IB continuing, yeah...i had continuing breakouts during week 8. i knew they were the retin-a ones, because of the difference in the size, time to healing, location, etc...very different from my normal breakouts. i don't know if youve noticed the same thing, where you can tell the breakouts are due to the retin-a, not just your usual breakouts? i'd be interested to know.

now at week 10 was when the breakouts abruptly stopped (well, not exactly, but they certainly almost stopped). and week 11 was even better. mind, during the weeks up until now i noticed improvement at about week 6, but definitely not the full results. i think that alot of people are mislead by the literature that improvement means 'end of IB, clearing starts now'. i know i was. but the texture and overall look of my skin was def. improved by week 6, even if i was still in the middle of a pretty harsh IB. i would say give it another 4 weeks AT LEAST, and if you haven't seen at least 75% improvement, then maybe a stronger formulation or different retinoid (ie tazorac or differin) might be helpful. but thats between you and your doc.

good luck with your treatment, and keep us posted! we're all here for you, and this being the retinoid forum, i'm sure we can all relate to whatever it is you're going through!

I don't know if you're talking to me or mango, but we are going through the same thing soooo anyway thank you! I'm glad someone knows what I'm going through that has actually gotten good results from it.

Thanks for the info on the antibiotic gel.retin-a cream mix. I will definitely try that. I can tell the breakout is from the retin-a because it looks a bit different...hard to explain but the pimples look kinda different and I'm getting them in my hairline even which I rarely ever did before, also they last longer and more keep popping up everyday. And I can't touch the pimples at all or my skin completely overreacts. A popped one a few weeks ago (I know I shouldn't) and the whole area got inflamed, puffy and red. Just a bit ago, I was picking off something on my skin that I thought was just a piece of kin that was peeling but instead it was a tiny pimple that came out and left a whole in my skin :cry: wtf

Exactly what you said, I'm at week 6 and I do notice that my skin is smoother than before and slightly better skin tone, but still having horrible breakout...about 3 new ones a day. I just need to be patient but I'm getting so sick of this.

You give me hope so thanks a bunch.

thanx mala and fletch for the feedbacks...it's been so helpful to hear some positive feedbacks...i'm definately gonna stick with it for at least another 4 wks to see what happens...but yeah it totally sux how the manufacturere mislead you to think that "improvement" meant end of breakouts and it sux how they don't tell you how long the IB last beside the fact that "improvement will be seen in 6-8 weeks....they so need to change that

yeah, i'm definately getting breakouts at places where i never got them before as well as the usual place, so i guess it's probably due to the retin-a, hopefully part of the IB, but i was wondering also, did you guys get repeated breakout on the same spot on a previous pimple location? I thought maybe once you get a pimple from retin-a and after it heals, that spot would stay clear but sometime I would get another reinflammation on the same spot weeks later.

Even though i'm breaking out madly, my skin definately have improved in term of texture after like 4 wks and is starting to lighten my old acne marks now...so in a way right now, i still kinda like retin-a...

okay..mala..let's hang in there together!!!!

Hello All! I am under the same thing, retinoid and topical antibiotic at night and BP in the morning, besides oral antibiotic. I am on week 2, and I still get big zits, some of them in the same places as before, or some other in place where I usually do not break out. My acne is more cystic. I have a lot of red marks from previous acne, so plus the ones I have it looks not nice! I am getting desperate because I have tried a lot of things, but I hope this medications will work, I know I need to get patience from somewhere!.

Please let me know how you guys are doing so I can have a better idea about my treatment.

Thanks!

I too think that it is absurd that the manufacturers tell you six weeks for improvement. Retin-A in an investment. It took me THREE FULL MONTHS to just to get out of my IB, I'm not expecting to have totally red mark-free skin until really the six month point.

I know that it is *so hard* to think long term during your IB -- I too would wake up everyday hoping that things would change overnight, but they won't. It takes time, and sometimes lots of it. Anyway, however you can do it, try to find a way to adjust your expectations and just let your skin be what it is going to be for a while. I know it sucks, but for your own sanity, I think you have to just let go for a while. Instead of thinking things will be better next week, pick a realistic date (week 12) and just think about that.

Hang in there. Things will improve, but you have to be patient.

I'm entering week 9 of my retin-a treatment, it looked like things would stop on the right side of my cheeks but 3 cystic one popped up in the middle of today--not cool...now my left cheek is heeling..it's wierd...my cheeks keeps on alternating in breaking out, so annoying. But the marks on my right cheeks are definately disappearing but of course new acne means adding more marks back...i'm sure it will disappear soon too

I definately agree with amorfati about the adjusing your expectation thingy...you really can't expect to see great improvement immediately and should really learn to accept that your face will be at its worst for months to come, but continue to love yourself and give it time, it will get better..

I used to wear make-up for like the first month of my treatment b/c i was so embarassed with the acne, but that just broke me out more and made my skin like discolored (and i knew it wasn't just from the retin-a)...so i finally decided to suck it up and live with my IB and don't think what other ppl would think and ditched the makeup...and it definately clears my skin faster, even with still lots of acne, my skin texture/color continues to improve

good luck maleka!Don't give up!

Wow, I'm so glad I found this thread.

I'm currently using benzamycin and retin-a. I'm 24 and this combo worked to clear me up when I was 14-15. I LOVE benzamycin! The only bad thing is it has to be refrigerated.

Mala - yes, you can use makeup over benzamycin. Just be sure your skin absorbs it first. After your skin aborbs it, use a moisturizer. Let your skin absorb the moisturizer. Then dab on concealer as needed. Since benzamycin really dries your skin, moisturizing is important and will help the makeup look natural.

Fletch - I definitely agree that I can tell a difference between the breakouts caused by tretinoin verus my regular breakouts. The pimples aren't as deep and they last for only a few days, and then are 99% healed. My regular breakouts consist of cystic acne, which lasts for months and SPREADS. There is totally a difference.

Today it has been 5 weeks for me on tretinoin. I'm starting to see the inflammation of the IB FINALLY decrease. I'm still red, itchy and irritated... and I'm still getting new pimples, but I can see a difference in the look and feel of my skin. Cystic acne is flattening out and becoming less inflamed. I'm still a little flaky. And there's one cystic patch that still isn't completely under control that ITCHES LIKE CRAZY! But finally seeing just the smallest improvement has helped so much, even though I'm still not through the thick of things. This IB has been so difficult... seriously depressing. I can empathyze with everyone else experiencing the same... good luck to all.

Wow, I'm so glad I found this thread.

I'm currently using benzamycin and retin-a. I'm 24 and this combo worked to clear me up when I was 14-15. I LOVE benzamycin! The only bad thing is it has to be refrigerated.

Mala - yes, you can use makeup over benzamycin. Just be sure your skin absorbs it first. After your skin aborbs it, use a moisturizer. Let your skin absorb the moisturizer. Then dab on concealer as needed. Since benzamycin really dries your skin, moisturizing is important and will help the makeup look natural.

Fletch - I definitely agree that I can tell a difference between the breakouts caused by tretinoin verus my regular breakouts. The pimples aren't as deep and they last for only a few days, and then are 99% healed. My regular breakouts consist of cystic acne, which lasts for months and SPREADS. There is totally a difference.

Today it has been 5 weeks for me on tretinoin. I'm starting to see the inflammation of the IB FINALLY decrease. I'm still red, itchy and irritated... and I'm still getting new pimples, but I can see a difference in the look and feel of my skin. Cystic acne is flattening out and becoming less inflamed. I'm still a little flaky. And there's one cystic patch that still isn't completely under control that ITCHES LIKE CRAZY! But finally seeing just the smallest improvement has helped so much, even though I'm still not through the thick of things. This IB has been so difficult... seriously depressing. I can empathyze with everyone else experiencing the same... good luck to all.

Good to hear from you Jubileo. Thanks for the makeup tips!

I have good news...my think my IB is almost gone! at least I hope :pray: But now I'm back to square one and have skin I had before I started, which isn't what I want. But it's progress I guess. I was so happy it was looking better, I didn't even worry about makeup for a few days but now I'm starting to get impatient and want results.

Weird that you have pimples that aren't as bad or deep with the retin-a because I'm the opposite. I can't get rid of many of them, they just stay there no matter what I do. It's so annoying! I've had some for weeks and months, big and small ones. What makes them stick like that and never go away?

Week 7 is the best yet just because no extra crazy breakout but want some improvement now.

Good luck jubileo and mango...Glad to hear things are going well!

so ending my week 9th of retin -a treatment

darn, it feels like i've been on this forever

so my flare have subsided so like mala said-back to square one-with lots of acne marks

i so pray no major flare will be occuring during by pms week-it always get so bad around this time-so i'm taking aleve to calm down any possible inflammation

and my forehead still haven't returned to like before still lots of white heads...

hope it will start taking a turn by the end of next week...

well-2 weeks till my appt with my derm, hopefully he'll be able to give me something that helps to prevent inflammatory acne

I too think that it is absurd that the manufacturers tell you six weeks for improvement. Retin-A in an investment. It took me THREE FULL MONTHS to just to get out of my IB, I'm not expecting to have totally red mark-free skin until really the six month point.

I know that it is *so hard* to think long term during your IB -- I too would wake up everyday hoping that things would change overnight, but they won't. It takes time, and sometimes lots of it. Anyway, however you can do it, try to find a way to adjust your expectations and just let your skin be what it is going to be for a while. I know it sucks, but for your own sanity, I think you have to just let go for a while. Instead of thinking things will be better next week, pick a realistic date (week 12) and just think about that.

Hang in there. Things will improve, but you have to be patient.

Thanks for the wonderful advice...i almost felt like giving up..on the 8th week and have used retin a gel before...but thanks to your message, i have decided to hang in there..

Happy New Year to ya all!

So, yeah, I haven't updated in more than a month on my progress. So i'm entering the 4 month mark for my retin-a treatment

I went to a derm earlier in the month and he prescribed me clindamycin gel and upped my retin-a cream dosage to 0.05%, I also got a blood test for hormones level

Well, the blood test came back okay-testosterone level was normal so my acne is probably not due to hormonal imbalances like I thought

As for the clindamycin gel, I read pretty bad reviews here on acne.org...about no improvement and oily face...but I tried it anywayz...and yeah, it's triue...it doesn't seem to do much for my acne. It doesn't prevent inflammatory acne nor does it shorten the life of them...it does seem to make my face more oily(use 3 blot sheet opposed to 1 before)...so i skip the moisturizer for now unless i have really dry skin

I guess the increased strength of the retin-a to 0.05% was a good idea..bcs finally my forehead is cleared from the IB from the previous retin-a strength....But now i seem to be getting more cystic acne on myn jawline...

Also, the hyperpigmentation just totally kills my complexion...when iunder normal yellow light, my face looks fine with the acne marks being brown...but when I'm under bright white lights, my whole acne prone face is like inflamed red like I just had an allergic rxn or something..is there anything I can do ?

I just ordered the ANSR light beam to help heal my skin..so I'll update on that later...I hope with my conitnual usage of Retin-a will abolish the marks and stop cystic acne...

It's been a long time, but I thought before I completely disappeared that I should sum out my results:

Phase 1:

9/08-12/08

Started on Retin A 0.025% cream pm, IB started at ~week 4 and continues into week 12 with no great improvement afterward

12/08-2/09

FInally met with a derm first time in my life, started Retin A 0.05% cream pm+ clindamycin 1% gel am/pm---still no marked improvement during this period except that my forehead cleared from little bumps but the clindamycin did zero for me and made my face oily (i knew the clidnamycin won't work bcs erythromycin+benzoyl peroxide stopped working for me after 6 years and if you're resistant to clindamycin or erythromycin, the chance that the other one will work is very minimal; but the derm insisted so i gave it a try and it did exactly nothing as i predicted)

Started ASNR LED light therpay as well-not worth the money ( i just used the device tho, not the skin proudcts) but was fun to play with and help me mentally to think something might be doing soemthing.

2/09-current

Increased to Retin A 0.1% cream (strongest one) pm and started Sulfacet Suspension/Lotion am (sulfur + sulfacetamide), this finally did the trick. It didn't clear me up right away, but it cleared me up after a month and prevented new cystic, inflamed acne from coming. I was so happy to realized that I haven't been getting cystic acne for a whole month bcs before the Sulfacet, I was getting one every few days.

Sulfacet ain't really the miracle drug to dry acne as a quick fix, but if you apply it daily in a thin layer (some ppl may apply up to three times a day tho can be drying), it really slowly helps your skin heal and prevents new one from coming along w/ retin-A to help clear dark spots and smoothen the skin out.

I continue to be on these two w/ satisfactory result and i hope it will last until i finally grow out of it, if that will ever happen. I never been on oral antibiotics or accutanne before and i hope to remain that way. Right now i still have a little redness and leftover spots and is clearing.

My suggestions:

-definately need to be patient with retin-a. However it seems like the strength of retin-a should be increased every 2-3 months to the maximum strength as tolerated in order to see max results. I thought staying with the low strength and continue to apply it or apply more will be the same as using a higher strength, but it's not. You'll just remain at a plateau phase and get irritation from applying too much. So if your skin tolerates the current strength well but you don't see result after 2-3 months, ask the dr to bump up the strength. If the max strength has no result after 2 months, then call it quits.

-Topical antibiotics: as previous mentioned, if you're resistant (after long term use) to topical erythromycin or clindamycin, the chance that you'll be resistant to the other is very high so don't have high hopes when you switch between the two that the other one will work. However, if you can't tolerate one, the other one might be a better option. I dunno about oral, but I would think it's the same idea. The better alternative for topical antibiotic if you're reisistant to the above would be sulfacet (a sulfa AB). Give it a try before trying oral AB. This can be applied once to three times a day but I would try once a day first then increase to three times a day as tolerated. I did twice a day in the beginning and it's drying esp w/ retin-a. I continue to use it once a day and it works great.

-Remember sunblock. All antiacne agents increase sun sensitivity.

-When your acne is no oozing or too impact in numbers, exfoliating daily with a scrub (i get a circular exfoliating disk from cvs for $4 and it lasts 3 months) while cleansing is great bcs it helps exfoliate the skin that came off over night from the retin-a action and assures that your pores are clean. When I didn't do this, I always feel like the retin-a is making my skin exfoliate onto itself and end up clogging pores. CAUTION: if you have lots of active acne or very peeling skin, this might not be a good idea since it will irritate it more.

-DO NOT go for waxing on the face or body (if you put it there for body acne) that is close to where you apply retin-a, it will peel the skin right off and leave you looking skinned. You have to stop retin-a at least a couple months in advance before waxing can be done. I did my eyebrow where I did not apply retin-a to nor on my eye lid, but the effect of the drug is absorbed throughout adjacent skin so bad idea.

-rinse face with cold/cool water after washing to close pores.

-NEW awesome acne bandage discovered that i discovered: in asia, Nexcare make this acne dressing that you put over active acne and it will suck the pus out from the acne thus preventing acne from furthur inflammation and reinfection and it won't leave a permenant scar. It will flatten the acne and 2-3 day will accelerate healing bcs of its colloidal property which keeps the area moist which enables healing. The package says to use it round-the clock, but only doing bed time is sufficient since you prob don't want something like a bandaid on your face in the morning. It's the same as colloidal dressing here that hospital use for wound healing and they sell some at cvs but it is way too thick and sticky to be used over acne, whereas the one that Nexcare sell over Asia is thin and easy to apply and remove. But this seems only efficient for ppl who gets the occasional acne like me now.

-USE THIS MESSAGE BOARD during your stress period. You'll realize that you're not the only one on this boat. There are many. It def. helped me hang in during those awful times of IB and not seeing results. I stuck in there all bcs I realized from reading all these threads that everyone's skin is different and you should give yourself enough time to see results.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Current regimen:

Am

Cetaphil antibacterial for senistive skin cleanser with an exfoliator scrub

Sulfacet thin layer

Oil of Olay spf 15 moisturizer

light dust of everyday minerals when going out

Pm

Cetaphil antibacterial cleanser w/o exfoliator scrub

witch hazel toner (very rarely-only when i put heavy make up on)

wait 20min-1 hr later-retin -A 0.1% cream

When too dry - a hydrating/whitening mask sheet from hong kong/japan (once a week or biweekly)

I do not have make up on in any of these pix..so what u you see is it, tho lighting may make it look off from one to the other...

before treatment

post-87592-1244530915_thumb.jpg

8 wks into rein -a 0.025% cream-look awful than before

post-87592-1244532308_thumb.jpg

retin-a 0.05% with clindamycin-did not nothing

post-87592-1244530992_thumb.jpg

most current with retin -a 0.1% and sulfacet (8 months of treatment since start)

post-87592-1244531374_thumb.jpg

I support you guys!!! Don't give up. Thank you for allt he support.

post-87592-1244530915_thumb.jpg

post-87592-1244530992_thumb.jpg

post-87592-1244532308_thumb.jpg

most current with retin -a 0.1% and sulfacet (8 months of treatment since start)

I support you guys!!! Don't give up. Thank you for allt he support.

Wow, your results are pretty amazing, your red marks have completely faded in the 8 months of your treatment! I want to start Retin-A as well, but i'm really dreading the IB. I have barely started to recover from my last cystic breakout, so i'm holding on to my shred of clearness LOL.

I see my derm at the end of this month, so i'll ask her what she thinks. If she does prescribe it to me, I want to start after my birthday in August so that I won't have to go through the IB during my birthday.