Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peanutbutterbrother

What about the positive side effects acne may have given you?

Everyone seems to be looking at one side of the coin here. I know acne has given us all tribulations, but the yin always goes with the yang. What are the positive side effects acne has given you?

I know for a fact, if I had clear skin my whole life, I wouldn’t be the person that I am today.

I have become more intellectual because of my lack of a social life, I turned to documentaries, movies, books, online reading. I must have seen hundreds and hundreds of movies/documentaries over the past couple of years that I wouldn’t have seen if I had a social life. Its tough to say whether this would happen anyway because the last time I was clear is when I was 14, so I don’t many intellectual 14 year olds. But I seemed to be headed down a path of getting by life without concern about learning things.

I have become a better student. Granted, when acne first struck me, I was a terrible, terrible student. Hardly showed up to school, seldom did work. But for the past couple of years, acne has driven me to a strong work ethic. Why? Well, I realize that if I’m going to suffer from social rejection, why not take advantage of it, and be useful, in the meantime while my acne is still bad. I guess, the gist of it is, I look at all my peers who have clear skin, and think, “I’ve got to beat them in something.†I aim for nothing less than As in my college courses now.

I have become more confident, and my confidence will grow the more clear my skin gets. Obviously, when my acne was at the pinnacle of grease, my confidence eroded like the sex drive of a senior citizen. But the more clear I’ve became, the more I slowly climbed back to the confidence I had before. I realized what I’ve took for granted, and now find myself much more sociable and sure of myself around people. I’m still not clear, but I’m much clearer than I was before. And that’s helped me a lot.

Last, but definitely not least, I have become more healthy. I use to eat fast foods, seldom wash my face, sit on my ass all day watching television, it was a wonder why I got acne in the first place. But because of acne, wow, I’m healthier than just about 90% of the kids on campus. I constantly eat fruits, vegetables, I eat fast food no more than once a month, if that, and it would only because im amongst friends and fill obligated to do so, not because I urge for it. The only thing I drink is orange juice, milk, and water, and v8/vegetable juice….that’s it, nothing other than those four options for the past 2-3 years.

So, assuming my acne clears about to a social acceptable level, I can’t say I regret anything. I always think back to the conversation Frank and Dwayne had towards the end of Little Miss Sunshine -

Dwayne: I wish I could just sleep until I was eighteen and skip all this crap-high school and everything-just skip it.

Frank: Do you know who Marcel Proust is?

Dwayne: He's the guy you teach.

Frank: Yeah. French writer. Total loser. Never had a real job. Unrequited love affairs. Gay. Spent 20 years writing a book almost no one reads. But he's also probably the greatest writer since Shakespeare. Anyway, he uh... he gets down to the end of his life, and he looks back and decides that all those years he suffered, Those were the best years of his life, 'cause they made him who he was. All those years he was happy? You know, total waste. Didn't learn a thing. So, if you sleep until you're 18... Ah, think of the suffering you're gonna miss. I mean high school? High school-those are your prime suffering years. You don't get better suffering than that.

good post. for me, def more healthy and i actually cook now! my wife will prob appreciate that one day haha

I do take much better care of myself than I ever did before this place. And the fact that I'm now actually INFORMED about skin care makes me feel proud - there's very little in life that I can talk about with certainty. This is one thing I can do that with.

And acne, as strange as it sounds, has brought me a true sense of community. I've been active here for years now, and the relationships and support it's brought me has been invaulable. Without acne, I'd never have come here and I would have missed out on that.

And a total understanding and giggling at this "High school-those are your prime suffering years. You don't get better suffering than that." I'm always telling people that you HAVE to go through the drama in HS to learn that you DON'T have to go through the drama! But you never learn that if you don't go through it.....

Maybe the same could be said for acne, in the end!

I can relate to all those things.

Here's my list

I've been more knowledgeable, I've been reading daily because I don't go out.

My grades are amazing right now because I stay home and study a lot now. I don't do anything except on the weekends.

I've humbled myself in a way that I won't judge anyone by there skin, color, race, anything.

I've find myself searching deeply for my purpose in life and just overall a lot more thinking.

but the the negatives are a bigger list then this, I feel that I have learned a lot from having a lot of red marks, I don't think I'll ever be the same cocky person I was a couple clear skin years ago

There's a very big difference between the suffering I endured during High School compared to the average student.

Just thought i'd point that out there :think:

My penis has seen no action in 21 years, so I tell myself that all my friends will have really leathery wrinkly ones by the time they are middle aged and mine will be as smooth as silk.

I've learned to be humble, more than anything else. While my skin is near being completely acne-free right now (I will hold back in saying so until all of my red marks are gone), I still can connect completely with people who are suffering because of acne, and a lot of them who didn't know me before get surprised when I can be so empathetic and understanding of what they are going through.

Of course, I have a gentle nature, so I don't think I'd have turned out as a complete jerk, but I do think if I always had clear skin, my head would be really high up in the clouds and my view of myself would've been extremely arrogant.

I don't know to be honest, maybe this is my cynical side, but i am sure even if we didn' thave acne, we'd be nice people. I look at my family and my siblings... Yep, they turnned out just fine without acne.

acne caused me a lot more pain then any of the potential benefits it could've done.

but its kinda lame to think like that,

the positive side of acne? I suppose its shaped my existence, come rain wind or shine its a part of me, and i am a cool guy!

Overall acne has definitely made me a worse person. It has inhibited me throughout most of my life from fully realizing my potential.

But in keeping with the spirit of the thread, I suppose I am more empathetic bc of acne. Not that I was a jerk before, but acne has made me more sensitive to people's feelings, especially people's feelings about their appearance and body issues.

that's so true..a lot of people,(myself included) dwell too often on the negatives of acne..but...i ahve tons of positives to ahving this horrendous disease. first of all..if it hadnt been for acne...i would never have learned so much about my skin and skin in general..like how to properly take care of it, and what rpoducts are good for my skin specifically,...etc... Also...i ahve really oily skin..which fro now...ofocurse seems horrible..but migt come in handy as i age...apprently..people that have oily skin tend to get less wrinkle.. right?..so who wouldnt want that.? Another thing's that..on learning about skin, and how to properly take care of it, i larned about the importance of sunscreen and i now wear it every days...spf 30 and sometimes 60...for maximum protection. I also did learn about the importance of moisturinzing every day after cleansing the skin. All in all... i'm glad of all the stuff i learned from my skin condtion, cause if i had perfect skin, i would not have nkow about all of this, and i woudlnt wanna be one of those people that as the get older..their skin begin to disintegrate and they'll be like..."it must have been the product that i was using when i was younger for so long..."if i had known"....

its has also given me a humility and a better of understanding into how bad others can feel sometimes. However, acne has made me vain, it seems all ive cared about for 4 years is the face fungus!!!

It's not a very big positive, but after living with acne for 4 years, finally being acne free is going to feel amazing.

I guess it's also made me more health conscious, which indirectly made me start the gym. And now I'm not a skinny bastard anymore :)

I think it forced me to look into all sorts of products...then I learned about sunscreen etc. I will be hot when I'm 50 from all my years of taking care of my skin!!

:wub:

Overall acne has definitely made me a worse person. It has inhibited me throughout most of my life from fully realizing my potential.

Same here. And like Adam mentioned, it has made me worse at my studies rather than better.

But I can't deny that it has helped to make me humble and to empathize with people who have health problems that make them look less than their best.

The positive effects of acne will become more evident once you all are clear. I wouldnt trade my troubles with acne for anything. The lessons Ive learned are completely valuable.

I'd say acne forced me to become more humble of course, but most importantly it has taught me to never succumb to adversity and challenges. It has also awakened the desire to constantly self-improve and empower others.

humility, empathy, self-discovery, self-discipline, appreciation of the simple things (like a good skin day), etc.

I wouldn't relive my life without any of the struggles I have gone through. What kind of person would I be if I had never endured a day of pain in my life, if it meant that I was less able to appreciate all the good? I certainly wouldn't be me.