Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well I am relatively new to the message boards. I have been reading them for the past week or so, and this is my first time posting. I have basically struggled on and off with acne since I was about 15 or 16 and am now 23. I am posting a couple pics to get some opinions on exactly what type of acne I have. I don't have a lot of whiteheads or blackheads, it's mainly just red bumps and what I think are scars.

I have started using tretinoin cream 0.05% about 5 days ago along with olive and green tea soap and vitamin E oil (both new today). My doctor that I see (not a derm- have had bad experiences with them) told me to start using a sunblock during the say so I started using vanicream yesterday which I think is pretty good. I also started using aloe vera gel occasionally.

I've been messing around with my diet some as well. I've cut out dairy completely and about 5 days ago started a yeast free diet as the clindamycin I was on for my acne (prescribed by a derm) gave me problems with yeast. I'm also thinking my acne might be tied in with yeast and/or sugar intake. As far as supplements I started taking fish oil and taurine.

Anyways, any suggestions for what I could be or should be doing to help with whatever type of acne people think I may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Face?authkey=lCzTQweR3XM#5265707511328451970

Face?authkey=lCzTQweR3XM#5265707518333448290

Face?authkey=lCzTQweR3XM#5265707529696815506

Your diet sounds good. I also will reccomend that you dont eat any fried foods,potatoes, dont eat fish and alcohol on the same day, you can have fish though just not the mixture. And dont drink carbonated beverages as they are hard for your digestinal track to handle.

Another thing to do is to eat your fruits or vegetables before you eat your breakfast, or dinner. This is because if you eat your eggs and toast before than your fruit will be on top and take longer to absorb into your system.

Eat something to alkalize your blood. This could be alot o things including almonds.

Also, do not eat before bed. You should go to sleep 2 hours or more after you eat to ensure proper digestion.

Your doing good and probably do alot of things already that I mentioned. Diet can help alot of people get rid of acne, it may work in your case depending how strict you are with your diet. But dont let it control you too much, you want to enjoy yourself and if you find it to be too much work than maybe you should try taking accutane or B5. Its up to you, good luck.

Hey surfgirl.

Your skin seems to have gone the same kind of way my skin has gone now. Before I went on accutane it was different I got red spots and they was individual. My skin was like that but only in certain places and not all over my face. just seemed rough and red in areas like yours. I wish I had taken a picture of my red bumps they were exactly like that but on just my right side of the face. After 3 days it was clear again so that was good for me.

erythromycin has cleared my up completely this time. Have you tried something like that? If its similar to my situation then its worth a go. I also had good results with retin a gel initially.

In my opinion you should experiment for a few more months but it might be worth you giving accutane a go. Looking back I wish I had done it when I was younger as nothing I have done in my life has had such a positive inpact on my skin as that. Dont worry about the side affects as the side affect of acne is worse than having dry skin as I actually found that a refreshing change from it being oily all the time.

Hey surfgirl.

Your skin seems to have gone the same kind of way my skin has gone now. Before I went on accutane it was different I got red spots and they was individual. My skin was like that but only in certain places and not all over my face. just seemed rough and red in areas like yours. I wish I had taken a picture of my red bumps they were exactly like that but on just my right side of the face. After 3 days it was clear again so that was good for me.

erythromycin has cleared my up completely this time. Have you tried something like that? If its similar to my situation then its worth a go. I also had good results with retin a gel initially.

In my opinion you should experiment for a few more months but it might be worth you giving accutane a go. Looking back I wish I had done it when I was younger as nothing I have done in my life has had such a positive inpact on my skin as that. Dont worry about the side affects as the side affect of acne is worse than having dry skin as I actually found that a refreshing change from it being oily all the time.

Well I made an appointment to see a derm this coming Thursday. I just really don't want to go on any more medicine or anything. I remember dating a guy a few years ago who was on accutane and he HATED the side effects. He had really really bad cystic and nodular acne though. However, he's still clear to this day, so who knows...maybe it's worth a try. My skin wasn't this bad before I started using the Tretinoin cream about a week ago. Maybe it's an IB?

Anyways, guess I'll see what the derm has to say. Sigh. I just want this to be over with. I don't even like people looking at my face when I'm out in public.

I don't know....I'm actually starting to think that my acne is hormonal at this point. Maybe i should be seeing an endocrinologist instead. My gyno diagnosed me with PCOS about a year ago, so maybe it has something to do with that.