Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

basically when i discovered this board last summer, salicylic acid was like the devil. and basically i know for me and alot of other people it is. i think this is what has gotten the acne care product market booming so much. people think it's clearing them up when it's just contributing to a neverending acne cycle. and it's so irritating because that shit is in everything!!!! bp is what works but they don't make nice lotions out of it or anything. they even put salicylic in makeup and powders. i'd love bp to be in some powder or foundation. i guess if it really works for someone....great. but i have never known anyone to benefit from this at all. :)

Guest fatman_uk

Good for bacne but my face has never got anythin but red, sore an burnt from it. :oops:

-Gaz

Guest fatman_uk

I tried a BHA moisturiser while usin BP, OMG! Took me 6 days to recover from the chemical burns it caused, i meen SHHIIYAT!!! Hurt less when i broke my wrist as a kid, an this dam thing lasted SIX days. :D

An for bobo's reference...

Good

Sex

Money

Alcohol

Pop-Tarts

Bad

Acne

Feel any better? :lol:

-Gaz

Guest fatman_uk

kekeke, LOL. Where's he at anyhow?

An where's he hid his cute sister?

-Gaz

I tried that Neutrogena Shave Lotion with 2% Salilyic Acid in it.. broke out worse.. even though It felt refreshing after I used it.. I think anything with the word acid on it.. shouldnt be used on the face.. except for citric acid..

I'm now using B5, but I formerly used S. Acid and I found it both easier on the face, more convenient and more effective than BP. BP always left this awful residue on my fingers and despite the "vanishing" claims, always remained on my face. With S. Acid, I'd just wipe my face with a pad for 15 seconds on my way out the door and boom... the regimen was done. I've read, however, that topical medications like SA and BP simply lead the body to counteract by producing more oil over time, so I finally opted for a B5 regimen a few weeks ago. But my days of SA were good ones. Not only was it more convenient, more effective and definitely much easier on the face, but it costs a heckuva lot less than Dan's $40/month regimen. Really, who wants to drop $500 a year on acne? I'd almost rather have the zits. There's also the issue of time. Who has an hour a day three times a day to BP-ify himself, wait, use moisturizer, wait, etc.?

But I recognize at the same time that SA won't work for everyone, so if you like BP, go for it!

i used Neutrogena Vitamin Lotion that has 2% salycilic acid before... actually it did clear up my face for a few months. i used it morning and evening after washing my face, then i follow up with a moisturizer w/ spf15. though it cleared, the "red spots" were still left around my face... guess those were acne scars, but i looked a lot better. the prob is, after the clearing up process, my zits came back and it seemed like it salycilic acid isn't working anymore. i guess my face got used to it already.

i also used Clear&Clear astringent with salycilic acid... it was too drying. even my index finger that touches the cotton when i apply the astringent all over my face started to get dry and it was peeling. gross! thats how strong that thing was. my pimples looked like it was black as if it was burned or something. so i stopped using that too.

right now am using Oxy 10(see my reply in "Oxy 10" topic)... i just wish it wont have the "got used to" effect in my skin again.

have a good day...:D

your skin doesn't build a tolerance to benzoyl peroxide so you don't have to worry about it getting used to it! :wink:

I think Salicylic Acid is not as bad as some say. 2 years ago, I came across this website after the pain and Agony of Acne became too much to bear. Dan was the one who got me started on taking care of my skin. I used Dan's Regimen for a year and it cleared me up. But there was one problem, Cystic Pimples. BP was not able to kill these Cystic ones, so i had to set off for a new medication. Then I came across Salicylic Acid, and 6 months ago I got clear of all acne.

I am forever grateful of Dan, without him, I'll still be a goner.

Thanks Dan.

P.S: Don't use anything with more than 2% Salicylic Acid, or it's going to burn your face real bad, I've tried it before.

"Really, who wants to drop $500 a year on acne? I'd almost rather have the zits."

Wow....u must not have bad acne....

I have spent well over 1000$ in the past year on my acne and I would be willing to spend another 1000$ for more improvement. What is better to spend your money on than self improvement? Im sure there are people who would give away their car to have clear skin....I would be very tempted...

peace

-Cory

I still wonder what exactly "bad acne" is. Do I have it? I'm not sure. I do know that I've never had pimples anywhere other than on my chin, but the nasties are often densely packed there. Does that make me mediocre? I'm into improving myself, sure, but is there no better way to throw $500 down the drain? I can understand your position, but for one would much prefer laser eye surgery (after a few years of that $500) or a Britesmile treatment. I'm going to stick with niacinamide cream and B5 for a while, for about $200 per year. It seems to be working thus far.

I'm curious. Just where does that $1000 go?

if you want to use an acid type exfoliator for those cyctic ones that dont get penetrated quickly enough with the bp then i would suggest glycolic acid over salicylic acid. glycolic is made with a smaller molecule and penetrates better. it comes from sugar cane and is just way better. not many people get a bad reaction from it as opposed to salicylic which is made from something like juice from tree barks? salicylates......asprin related. oh gosh all those product knowledge classes are haunting me now. theres a product i'm tempted to try from dr. perricone and it has benzoyl peroxide mixed with glycolic acid in a cream form. i think i like this little combo. bp kills p.acnes bacteria....forever....no tolerance ever.....then the glycolic eats away all the dead skin cells. perfect. we'll see. :roll: