Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ComplexIssues

Unusual Symptoms of Oily Skin? How to Treat?

Guys,

I just wanted to see if any of you guys share my "symptoms of oily skin" because I'm not sure if this is normal or not:

At the end of the day, if I look really close at the mirror at my pores, I can see many pores "clogged" with plugs of sebum. Often times, they look ready to fall off like flakes, and can be easily removed if I gently scrape them off my skin. This is concerning to me because I hope this isn't too obvious to people who look closely at me in social situations. I figured I should use a strong cleanser to exfoliate my pores, but having sensitive skin, I'm afraid of drying/irritating my skin further hence causing more breakouts or oily skin. On a side note, I also notice, after I exercise and my sweat dries, parts of my face may have a thin film of flakiness; kind of powdery...This is very wierd cause I don't remember ever having this happen until the last year or so.

Has anybody experienced any of these symptoms? And how do you deal with it effectively?

Guys,

I just wanted to see if any of you guys share my "symptoms of oily skin" because I'm not sure if this is normal or not:

At the end of the day, if I look really close at the mirror at my pores, I can see many pores "clogged" with plugs of sebum. Often times, they look ready to fall off like flakes, and can be easily removed if I gently scrape them off my skin. This is concerning to me because I hope this isn't too obvious to people who look closely at me in social situations. I figured I should use a strong cleanser to exfoliate my pores, but having sensitive skin, I'm afraid of drying/irritating my skin further hence causing more breakouts or oily skin. On a side note, I also notice, after I exercise and my sweat dries, parts of my face may have a thin film of flakiness; kind of powdery...This is very wierd cause I don't remember ever having this happen until the last year or so.

Has anybody experienced any of these symptoms? And how do you deal with it effectively?

I would not try anything stronger. My pores do the same when they clean themselves out. I also had a problem with dry skin. The only change i made was in my diet, i started to eat more fats. But, again, I wouldn't recommend anything stronger in your case. Maybe it's the actual face wash you use currently that is causing the problems.

If you'd like try using a simple moisturizer once a day, start applying on a small area of your face to see if it works for you first, such as your nose. Test it out, if it works, go with it and apply to the rest of your face. Cetaphil is a moisturizer i highly recommend, if any.

jbrown,

when you say your pores are cleaning themselves out, you mean to say these sebum plogs coming out of my pores is perfectly natural, that they are actually showing that my pores are working?

jbrown,

when you say your pores are cleaning themselves out, you mean to say these sebum plogs coming out of my pores is perfectly natural, that they are actually showing that my pores are working?

In my case, that's how it seemed. They usually turned into pimples, but instead they had that result. It happened when i started to wash with just water. So to answer your question, yes.

A retinoid or Accutane should help with that.

Are you kidding me? Why would you throw them out like that? You should know better.

Oily skin is not normal.

But I think you should try and cure it naturally, using drugs only ever make things worse in the long run.

Biotin is a really important vitamin it keeps your body and hair moisturized and your mental health in check.

Accutane works by stopping biotin from working so your body dries out and hence you get no oily skin, but your hair will dry, your skin, lips will dry, your mental health will be out the window! Also in some people when the skin becomes that dry the body produces more oil, so i wouldnt go down that road.

I believe God put things on this planet to help every disease. So I'm sure there must be a natural alternative.

I've just started taking Saw Palmetto which blocks the hormones androgen being converted to DHT which is a major cause of oily skin. I've only been on it two days but I'm already seeing a remarked improvement. So fingers crossed.

Accutane has been around so long, if it was any good i think everyone would be taking it.

It would help that you use a good face wash, i use clearasil with moisturizers, so it unblocks pores but doesnt dry skin out.

I don't know...what if some people are just fucked and there is no natural cure...I'm taking vitamins, and probiotics and eat healthy...but it isn't enough..isn't it ok to seek topical medication? I mean a light retinoid like Differin, if that could make a big difference, shouldn't one look into it? The original question was whether or not having clogged pores that seem to "flake off" the skin, was something other people experienced, or is normal among others with oily skin ..and whether that was easily treatable with natural means, or if it was a sign my skin is seriously shedding abnormally and I should get on some medication like a retinoid...

Dear ComplexIssues,

I had to respond to your post to let you know that I have the exact same problem that you are describing: oily skin that causes clogged pores that seem to "flake off". I have had good results using two products that may help you:

1) Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid (Beta Hydroxy Acid) --- this is a very gentle exfoliant that I put on at night after washing. I just apply it with my finger, but you can use a pad if you want. In the morning you can wash it off with a gentle gel-based cleanser and you will likely see it pulling that layer of flaky skin right off. This will clear your pores to start the day. Note: Paula's Choice products come in different concentrations - if you need a stronger %, go for it. They sell samples, so you can try different ones. You can also try it in gel form.

2) Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Cleanser for Oily/Combination Skin --- this is my nightly cleanser. Just using it once a day will probably work for you - it pulls the oil off without overdrying. Has a good, gentle lather.

These products are very affordable, and I hope they help you as much as they have helped me. One more great product is Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Toner. (And no, I don't work for that company - their products are just the best).

I will continue to look for a nutritional solution to oily skin, but for now these products really help. Best of luck to you, and please update me on your progress!

Dear ComplexIssues,

I had to respond to your post to let you know that I have the exact same problem that you are describing: oily skin that causes clogged pores that seem to "flake off". I have had good results using two products that may help you:

1) Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid (Beta Hydroxy Acid) --- this is a very gentle exfoliant that I put on at night after washing. I just apply it with my finger, but you can use a pad if you want. In the morning you can wash it off with a gentle gel-based cleanser and you will likely see it pulling that layer of flaky skin right off. This will clear your pores to start the day. Note: Paula's Choice products come in different concentrations - if you need a stronger %, go for it. They sell samples, so you can try different ones. You can also try it in gel form.

2) Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Cleanser for Oily/Combination Skin --- this is my nightly cleanser. Just using it once a day will probably work for you - it pulls the oil off without overdrying. Has a good, gentle lather.

These products are very affordable, and I hope they help you as much as they have helped me. One more great product is Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Toner. (And no, I don't work for that company - their products are just the best).

I will continue to look for a nutritional solution to oily skin, but for now these products really help. Best of luck to you, and please update me on your progress!

Thanks for the useful tips! When you apply the BHA, do you end up covering the entire face? And it sounds like a liquid and not something that's foamy...Do you also use a moisturizer?

I just use the BHA on my nose, since that is the oily part of my face (my cheeks are dry, so I don't use it on them). But you can use the BHA anywhere you have oily skin. It is not foamy, it's just a liquid. It feels like a toner. And it doesn't take a lot of it to get the job done; no need to drench your skin with it.

I personally don't use a moisturizer, but I've heard some people do after washing off the BHA. A really good one is Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Moisture Gel. It's light, gentle, and won't clog pores. Experiment with and without a moisturizer to see what works best for you.

Also, I've had good success with using a gel cleanser to wash off the BHA. One with a thicker, sticky consistency will work best. I like Eucerin Redness Relief cleanser - it works better than Paula's Choice gel cleanser (the Paula's Choice cleanser I recommended in my prior post is not a gel, so that's great for washing when you don't have the BHA on).

Last thing: washing off the BHA can take time, since it pulls off & exfoliates all the flaking skin. Just be patient and take the time to do it. I've had great results with it, and I think this can really work for you.

Again, good luck and please let me know how this turns out for you! Happy Thanksgiving!

Brandy,

so you think this is actually an abnormal condition as opposed to being normal and that retinoids are the key?

Are you kidding me? Why would you throw them out like that? You should know better.

I've been dealing with oily skin and huge pores for over 20 years now. I speak from experience, I didnt just "throw" this out there. In essence, there isn't anything over the counter that will slow down the oil production or make a big difference in pore size. If oily skin and huge pores and sebum plugs are your main issue, it's a good idea to see a Dermatologist as, in my experience, prescriptions are the only thing to really make a difference.

Brandy,

so you think this is actually an abnormal condition as opposed to being normal and that retinoids are the key?

I've been dealing with oily skin and huge pores for over 20 years now. I speak from experience, I didnt just "throw" this out there. In essence, there isn't anything over the counter that will slow down the oil production or make a big difference in pore size. If oily skin and huge pores and sebum plugs are your main issue, it's a good idea to see a Dermatologist as, in my experience, prescriptions are the only thing to really make a difference.

IMO derms are not worth your time, money, anticipation... what not.

Only thing mine did was to prescribe loads of retinoids, antibiotics, stuff that smell bad and dont work.

For genetic oily skin, b5 is the way to go.

Hormonal acne and oily skin get some androgen inhibitor like GLA or phytoesterols.

And of course wholesome diet,plenty of exercise,sex.

As usual, things differ for everybody, I can only hope your case doesnt fall out of the norm/

Hormonal acne and oily skin get some androgen inhibitor like GLA or phytoesterols.

Unfortunately, the only way to get GLA for that purpose is to order it from a chemical company, and chemical companies won't sell to individuals like you and me. You have to have an account with them before they'll do that, as do professional chemists, doctors, other scientists, etc.