Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leopold

My acne's getting worse and I don't know why- 26M (Edit- now it's a hell of a lot better!)

I tend to get small yellowheads around my mouth, on my chin and on my upper lip, and recently larger spots on my nose and around the nostrils. I also get a few spots between my eyes and my forehead recently.

About a month and a half ago I decided to just give up on antibiotics, they weren't working at all any more. I was switched to Limecycline (sp?) after minocycline stopped working, but it didn't do any good. It doesn't help that I'm based in China as a teacher (and teaching with this crap on my face is no fun at all)

I also switched to a completely carb-free diet, buying into this idea that since indigenous tribes never get acne, there might be something in it. I ate green vegetables, fruit and meat that I cooked myself exclusively. I sometimes fried meat but only in olive oil. Most of the meat was oven-baked chicken or grilled lamb/beef.

About three weeks into the carb-free diet my acne got worse than ever and hasn't let up- I started eating what I wanted again about three weeks ago because it obviously wasn't doing any good, though I'm still eating fruit. I'm still avoiding potatoes and bread, but I eat white rice and pasta (spaghetti).

I'm getting 2-3 new spots a day now, usually around the mouth, and some of them fairly big. Before I would get maybe one spot every couple of days.

I'm so, so depressed over this. It's horrible, I would kill for clear skin like everybody else around me has. It's getting to the point where I resent everyone around me for their flawless skin. I'm 26 and I'm tired of dealing with this bullshit (I've had acne for 11 years). The skin around my mouth is a mess of red marks from fading spots and new yellowheads. Just recently I'm getting a lot of very small yellowheads concentrated on the lips and around the mouth.

I wash once a day with tea tree oil wash and once with cold water alone in the evening. I then apply a tea-tree 'SOS acne stick' directly to the spots, like it does any good.

I suppose my question is: I know that your skin is more prone to breaking out after stopping antibiotics, but for this long? Can I expect it to calm down, and if so, when? Did cutting carbs from my diet totally contribute to this?

Thank you for any help. I'm at my wit's end and I can't talk to anyone about this in real life.

Hello Leopold,

So sorry about all your troubles. :( I don't know anything about the antibiotics, but as far as your diet, am I right when you say you only tried that for 3 weeks? It could take much longer than that for your body to get on track, say, more like 9 weeks. That's just a guess though, based on my personal experience and knowing that food relates to hormones. The diet idea is a good idea--I'm totally with you on the whole acne-free indigenous people! I would suggest exploring it further. I don't know how strict you were, but keep in mind that if it's not directly found in nature, you probably shouldn't eat it.

Have you started on the Regimen? If not I HIGHLY recommend it. When I was getting back on birth control pills my face was out of control! As my body adjusted to the hormones, and as I continued on the Regimen, it got tons better. But the thing that helped immediately was using Jojoba oil. It totally tricks your skin so you don't make hardly any sebum oil. I'm happy to say that these days I pretty much don't get any acne. Maybe one or two small ones a month. You can read details in my blog and see my gallery pics. Now I'm just battling scars and hyperpigmentation and an updated pic is long overdue, btw. It looks much better than the last pictures--in any case you can see the progress of acne. Whatever you decide, it will take time to work. :) Good luck!

I tried the regimen about a year and a half back- all it did was dry my skin out horribly to the point where if I didn't have spots, I had horrendously dry skin. My face would physically crack if I so much as smiled, it looked almost as bad as the acne itself.

how long leo? how long did you try it and what moisturizers did you use? u gotta start out real slow at first!

i hear ya though, my SKIN is DRy and flaky and when i smile it becomes more flaky but i swear to god its getting better and u can control the dryness !

try it again? try accutane? id say try it again with me im doing it right now just started

You know I was given Benzaclin by my derm and I stopped using it because it made my face dry and red and flaky but then I tried Oil Of Olay regenerist day and night cream and my face isnt dry anymore. This stuff is a miracle in a bottle for dry skin. I cant believe that I have suffered from dry skin for years and would spend a ton of money on kinerase products to find Oil Of Olay for $20 does the trick better than anything I have ever used. Try it out, you wont be disappointed!

Due to the fact I'm in China, I don't readily have access to most of the stuff you can get in the west. I can get tea tree oil, but that's about it.

Since you're in China, have you thought about seeking a good Chinese herbalist? Taking anti-biotics, for a long time can be bad for your intestinal flora. I'd try to get some probiotics if possible.

Are you in a major city in China?

If you're in China, how long have you been there? Would it be due to the exposure of new foods, or other toxins (airborne, water supply, chemicals...etc.)

Try washing your face with the tea tree wash in the evening instead of the morning. Additional dirt/dust/oil builts up on your face way more during the day (when you're most active) than compared to when you're asleep.

Or you may have been exposed to new diets/pollutants while overseas. When I was in Hong Kong, I had to clean the insides of my nose and ears (w/ a Q-tip) eveyday because of all the dust in the air. Pay attention to the type of vegetable you're eating...your body may not like certain types of Chinese vegetable which are not found in the usual Western diet. Although you can just stick to common vegetable like broccoli, carrots, corn..etc. and try to eat fruits which has to be peeled. A lot of pesticides were probably used to grow those veg/fruits; since there's no real tight regulation of the production standards in China.

Those are just a few things I had to learn the hard way while in Asia a couple of years ago....hope it helps....

I dont know where they ship to but I know Oil Of Olay has a website where you can order their products online and then you can also buy them on ebay too. I buy a lot of my cosmetics and stuff from ebay since its cheaper and they usually ship to most places in the world.

I've been in China for two years now- for about a year of that I was acne-free due to antibiotics, but for the remainder my skin wasn't all that bad- I had the odd outbreak and usually had one or two on my face at any one time, but it was nowhere near as bad as it is now. Both sides of my nose are constantly getting large, tender spots at the moment, which has never really happened before. Simply put, I doubt either my diet or my location are contributing to my skin.

I've started using BP again- two days, and my skin is already drying up and losing elasticity. I'm applying it once in the morning and then moisturising about ten minutes after using it. Still getting new spots. :wall:

I'm in a fairly major city called Xi'an.

You are so wasting your time with tea tree oil. That stuff does _nothing_ - throw it in the bin. Use 5% BP on your zits when you get them. This will kill the bacteria. Keep putting it on for a few days on each zit. You can cover your face with it if you like but once you've gotten rid of most of your zits just put it on each zit.

Sorry to say if you've had it for 11 years it's not likely it's going to go away. You can at least get it under control and in a state that it isn't noticeable.

Oh yeah - anti biotics are also a waste of time. Sure they kill the bacteria to start with - until the bacteria evolve into an anti biotic resistant strain! Bacteria are of course very good at evolving their way around little problems like anti biotics...

Sorry to hear you've had problems with BP. I use BP on top of a light moisturizer during the day if I have a stubborn zit. It will dry out your skin but using moisturizer will help.

I use topical tretinoin at night. It helps to prevent my skin from having zits. Perhaps you should consider it?

If the BP / tretinoin cream isn't effective you might have to break out the big guns (isotretinoin pills).

Sorry to say if you've had it for 11 years it's not likely it's going to go away. You can at least get it under control and in a state that it isn't noticeable.

I can't accept that. The thought that I can get through this and one day have decent skin is the only thing that keeps me going.

Oh yeah - anti biotics are also a waste of time. Sure they kill the bacteria to start with - until the bacteria evolve into an anti biotic resistant strain! Bacteria are of course very good at evolving their way around little problems like anti biotics...

Wish I'd known about that two years ago. Doctors are surprisingly tight-lipped on the fact that they basically CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT ACNE.

I have some tretinoin gel left. Can't get isotretinoin pills because I'm in China.

Thanks for your help. I'm getting close to breaking point on this.

if you're 26, male and still breaking out there's a fair possiblity that your skin is irritated in my opinion. Have you tried doing nothing? Yes, nothing at all. No cleansers nothing. Give your skin a break. Many have success with it. You seem like a perfect candidate

Just wanted to report back in- I've stuck with BP for about a month now, and for a while nothing happened except drier skin.

For about three days now I've been completely clear. I'm not getting too excited yet, it could be a fluke, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

what is BP? im 26 and my acne came back 5 months ago and is now bad. anibiotics have not improved anything, made it much worse infact. caused a lot of redness

BP is Benzoyl Peroxide. It's pretty common, you can find it on the shelves in pharmacies. I'm using 5% BP gel- it dried my skin out a lot at first and I've given up on it quite a few times in the past, but it genuinely seems to be helping now. I apply it at night before going to bed, followed by moisturiser and then moisturiser again in the morning (but no BP).

I've actually got a new spot coming up now, but it's just one and it seems pretty small. It's certainly better than the living hell my life has been the last few months...

BP is Benzoyl Peroxide. It's pretty common, you can find it on the shelves in pharmacies. I'm using 5% BP gel- it dried my skin out a lot at first and I've given up on it quite a few times in the past, but it genuinely seems to be helping now. I apply it at night before going to bed, followed by moisturiser and then moisturiser again in the morning (but no BP).

I've actually got a new spot coming up now, but it's just one and it seems pretty small. It's certainly better than the living hell my life has been the last few months...

FYI 2.5% BP is what they recommend on this site, anything more is too irritating. good job with the moisturizer though! good luck...

Hi Leo -

Yeah, like the previous post I'd suggest using 2.5% BP instead. Academic/Scientific papers say it's just as good as 10% BP anyways. Maybe it won't dry as much. You can also try Salicylic acid but that dries too.

One thing I'd consider in your diet is the amount of chemicals that are in it. It might sound good to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables for example but in the US, so much of it has chemicals and crap. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same deal in China (or any country for that matter).

In all honesty I would try to get any medications you are using made, um, not in China.

I'm 25 Male and have had acne since like 13 or whatever so I know what you are feeling.

I look so much better, I'm really starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. I have two spots on my entire face at the moment, and neither is really big. I've gone from an average of three new ones every day a month ago, to maybe three a week.

I look so much better, I'm really starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. I have two spots on my entire face at the moment, and neither is really big. I've gone from an average of three new ones every day a month ago, to maybe three a week.

Great to hear Leo - And this is just from using 5% BP and moisturizing?

I tend to get small yellowheads around my mouth, on my chin and on my upper lip, and recently larger spots on my nose and around the nostrils. I also get a few spots between my eyes and my forehead recently.

About a month and a half ago I decided to just give up on antibiotics, they weren't working at all any more. I was switched to Limecycline (sp?) after minocycline stopped working, but it didn't do any good. It doesn't help that I'm based in China as a teacher (and teaching with this crap on my face is no fun at all)

I also switched to a completely carb-free diet, buying into this idea that since indigenous tribes never get acne, there might be something in it. I ate green vegetables, fruit and meat that I cooked myself exclusively. I sometimes fried meat but only in olive oil. Most of the meat was oven-baked chicken or grilled lamb/beef.

About three weeks into the carb-free diet my acne got worse than ever and hasn't let up- I started eating what I wanted again about three weeks ago because it obviously wasn't doing any good, though I'm still eating fruit. I'm still avoiding potatoes and bread, but I eat white rice and pasta (spaghetti).

I'm getting 2-3 new spots a day now, usually around the mouth, and some of them fairly big. Before I would get maybe one spot every couple of days.

I'm so, so depressed over this. It's horrible, I would kill for clear skin like everybody else around me has. It's getting to the point where I resent everyone around me for their flawless skin. I'm 26 and I'm tired of dealing with this bullshit (I've had acne for 11 years). The skin around my mouth is a mess of red marks from fading spots and new yellowheads. Just recently I'm getting a lot of very small yellowheads concentrated on the lips and around the mouth.

I wash once a day with tea tree oil wash and once with cold water alone in the evening. I then apply a tea-tree 'SOS acne stick' directly to the spots, like it does any good.

I suppose my question is: I know that your skin is more prone to breaking out after stopping antibiotics, but for this long? Can I expect it to calm down, and if so, when? Did cutting carbs from my diet totally contribute to this?

Thank you for any help. I'm at my wit's end and I can't talk to anyone about this in real life.

I know it's hard, but the more you stress the worst off you are going to be. I find that since I've cut out meat and processed food out of my diet, my skin has looked a lot better. I have also heard that applying pure lemon juice to the spot works. I just read somewhere about taking Aleve 1 pill twice a day before your cycle. Keep your head up and don't overdo anything that you use on your face. Try Neutrogena glycerine soap, its the perfect balance for any skin. Good luck

Hi Leo,

I am from Singapore and I am an International Certified Cosmetologist And Beauty Therapist graduated from the British Association Of Beauty Therapy And Cosmetology.

Read All about your Skin Problems. I have actually seen couple of my clients that have such very serious skin problems.

You mentioned that it all started since 11 yrs old. And a lot of yellow heads most around your mouth,on yr chin and on yr upper lip, and recently larger spots on yr nose and around the nostrils. You also get a few spots between your eyes and your forehead recently.

Well....From my more than 8 years of experience in cosmetologist after I graduated in year 2000. i could say that your inner body has a lot of toxins which has been accumulated from young and of course as you grow older and more stress, it will become worse than ever! Even you think that trying to change your diet to just vegetables,fruits only will do the trick. Balance Diet is still needed and I would say that other than lot of water you have to drink,you take note of your intestine problems as most acnes that appear near mouth areas,under chin,nose mostly those people that does not have a very good digestion system and also does not have a good cleasing system to flush out your toxins as fast. And further more, you are in China which part? Beijing? If the environment is very polluted, dust flying around. Even I don't see you , I can imagine that you have a big open pores on your nose,both areas near to your nose and under your eyes, and even now your foreheads. You have more an overly active oil glands as your age grow from teenage till now. With the opening of your pores,and the overly active oil glands produce too much oil that actually clotted all your pores! Dirt & bacteria are always in the air whereby you can't really see with a naked eye. Then the dirt and bacteria that runs into your body will make those areas infected! And it can spread also slowly to other areas of your face, thus making your whole face look worse and worse.

As your problems has been worsen for so many years,using just tea tree can't do much real effect on clearing your very bad skin problems.

Benzoyl Peroxide is a chemical used so common in most acne creams like clearisil - 5% or more, oxy -mostly BP 5% or stronger one will contain 10% BP.

This BP chemical is trying to dry your acne up and in the end your whole areas will feel so dry like you said and some worse case of people having also sensitive skin,after using BP that contain 10%,all turn red like inflammation !

Most of the Skin Products out there normally deal with outside in method. What I mean is trying to push your toxin back in or sometimes, just suppress so you feel you look slightly better.

For me, recently I am doing a finding on a product that is organic and without any chemical.

For such a long long finding, I finally found one product that is so Fantastically Good ! As it will solve all people's skin problems. This product is using Healing process and dealing your skin problems from inside out.Skin Detox. This Product is Called "Eumora" - A fantastic Skin Health Bar, A Revoluntionary Invention!

Tiefenmoor is the official name for the moor substance. "Eumora" Skin Health Bar is made with ‘Tiefen or Deep Moor’ from Austria, a rare form of nutrient-rich peat which was formed during the Ice Age (more than 10,000years back) as the result of a geological shift which caused a layer of rich vegetation (including herbs, plants and flowers) to become submerged under up to 60 feet of clay, where it remained, cocooned within the Earth, and now totally protected against pollution. Free from the decaying effects of oxygen, the plant matter undergoes a ‘ripening’ process over thousands of years into a rich, black substance in which all of the organic and inorganic substances within the plants are assimilated into the Moor. Under massive pressure, it has been compacted to a quarter of its original volume, resulting in a herbal complex with wonderful therapeutic properties of maximum concentration and a creamlike consistency.

Eumora - Made from 3 active ingredients: MOOR (100% imported from Austria) , Hydro-micro Alga (H-mA) and a base that is imported from France, the Eumora bar is a fast effective bar that

Will allow you to see it's effect on your skin within 3 minutes!

H-ma or hydro microalgae, is a special complex extracted from algae developed in Europe for application to the skin to help rejuvenate and moisturize skin cells. Algae have long been known as a rich, natural source of anti-oxidants, vitamins, trace minerals and amino acids which are essential in the production of lipids and glucids to help moisturize and more importantly help provide essential nutrition to promote skin recovery and regeneration.

Eumora Skin Health Bar will to continuous healing to your Skin from inner and will clear out all your toxins from inside your skin so gradually day after day constant use (at least twice a day), you will find that your acnes that you find it so Ugly on most part of your face will gradually clear. Step by step,this Eumora Bar will cleanse off and push out all the toxins that have been inside you for so super long time!!! With Healing from internal,your face will slowly look better and better!

Because Eumora Skin Health Bar function from Healing from within, it is Suitable for all skin types, eumora is formulated for daily use to cleanse, tone, and moisturize the face for the conditioned look. With Hma, your skin will keep moisture for many hours and without even using sunblock (which is so bad for our skin also bcos of too much chemical that will lead to skin cancer,this is in recent report findings about sunblock that will slowly leads to skin cancer! ) Your skin still will maintain good look, with glowing shine that a healthy skin will look!

“ All you have to do is rub the eumora Skin Health bar a bit on your hand and with some water,rub it to form into lather (foam), gently apply onto your skin,(especially more to those of your most problematic areas),then leave it on to pernerate into your skin for at least 15 minutes (if have time) but no time then even 3 mins will do, and wash off with water. Admire the effects of eumora conditioned skin in the mirror, as it continues throughout the day and you will see the effect of healing your acnes without so much of drying out your skin like the BP! †Eumora is also effective as a shampoo,conditional for hairLoss Problems and shaving foam. It can be used from head to Toe as It is A revoluntionary Skin Health Bar!!!! (Skin takes up 80% and is the largest organ, if you know that>?)

As An International Certified Cosmetologist and Beauty Consultant, I am now not looking into any other products anymore. I just feel also blessed that this Eumora Skin Health Bar is being Invented by having such Fantastic Ingredients!

For more informations, you can email me direct at :

[email protected]

Any questions you can ask me and if you don't believe that I am an International Certified Cosmetologist and Beauty Consultant, I can even scan my certificate to attach and email you to show you.

If you need testimonies, I have real photos of those people that try this Eumora Skin Health Bar. The Before and After Using Effect on their Face. Even Ezema Skin can be treated with this Eumora ! Isn;t it so wonderful? How to get this Eumora from me if you are keen to try out.

Just email me direct . Email given above. No matter which part of the country you are staying ,you can get it from me, I am doing a lot of other businesses and ebay Internet is also one of my business. However, sorry to say that I can't put this Eumora to be sold on ebay as our company has very strict policy on Not Allowing us Trader to Sell this Eumora on the Internet.

However, not to worry, if you want to try it out, you can email me first. I will give you my PayPal Account as All my customers from ebay who bid my items on ebay also paid me through PayPal which all people over the world knows that paying through PayPal is the safest way as if I don't send you the product as promised, you can get PayPal to take back your money, right? So , No worries at all and for me, as An International Certified Cosmetologist and Beauty Consultant + Business Woman, I am Very Honest in my Business and Profession. So you can Trust me. My ebay seller is "SuccessHeart" , if you want, just go into ebay and search for SuccessHeart and you can see my feedbacks!

Any queries regarding your skin again, consult me

Cheers and May you solve all your skin Problems with thie Revoluntionary Eumora!!!!

I know it's hard, but the more you stress the worst off you are going to be. I find that since I've cut out meat and processed food out of my diet, my skin has looked a lot better. I have also heard that applying pure lemon juice to the spot works. I just read somewhere about taking Aleve 1 pill twice a day before your cycle. Keep your head up and don't overdo anything that you use on your face. Try Neutrogena glycerine soap, its the perfect balance for any skin. Good luck

Hi, You are advising Leo to use soap???? I am An International Certified Cosmetologist and Beauty Consultant graduated from British Assoicaion of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetologist.

I know the most about skin which is our largest organ if you know that.....

Do you know that Healthy Skin should be at a PH 4.5 to 6.6 ? And not PH 7 balance like what most of those people out there is saying in their products! you can simply check this out in search in the internet for skin study and you can read about more details about skin.

Do you know that Bacteria loves to stay at area that is more alkaline? And they grow and multiply so super fast! So, if you are using soap as your facial skin care, gradually as time goes, you will get more problem coming up.

So take my advice and don't use skin care product that contain so much chemicals and is so alkaline please.

Do read my Advice send to Leo and if you are keen to know more on this Revolutionary Product Called "Eumora" Skin Health Bar, do email me directly at :

[email protected]

I can attached testimonies photos of those people that has tested on this Eumora with before and after using effect shown on their face.

If you need more informations on Eumora, just email me and I will attach all informations for you to read.

And IF you have doubt whether I am really An International Certified Cosmetologist and Beauty Therapist/Consultant, I will scan my Certificert to show you.

By the way, Other then Cometologist and Beauty Consultant by Profession, I am into many businesses and one of them is eBay Internet Business. But we Eumora Trader,Supplier is not Allowed to sell this product on the Internet. So if you are keen to try this Eumora product, can get directly from me through order send to my email as given above. Payment is so safe like eBay through PayPal. My customers from eBay paid me through PayPal. PayPal is sp safe as if seller don't send your product, you can ask for your money back.

Email me if you need more informations on Eumora!

Best Regards ,

Serene (International Certified Cosmetologist & Beauty Consultant)