Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
player e

Not an expert yet, but will be

Hello, just to let everyone know I am a freshman in college and I am studying to become a PA (Physician Assistant). In my BIO class we just finished going over the skin. During this we learned a little bit about acne, and since I suffer from moderate acne this peeked my interest. Here is basically what I took away from the lecture. Like I said i'm not and expert yet, but this is just a little bit of what I have learned.

Acne is Inflammation of Sebaceous glands (produces sebum which is the oil on your face)

Male sex hormones stimulate sebaceous glands to increase in size & hypersecrete (over secrete)

Microorganisms feed on glycerol from sebum causing inflammation and plugging glands

here are some Wiki facts about glycerol to help you understand what it is

Glycerol is a chemical compound also commonly called glycerin or glycerine. It is a colorless, odorless, viscous liquid that is widely used in pharmaceutical formulations. Glycerol is a sugar alcohol, and is sweet-tasting and of low toxicity. Glycerol has three hydrophilic hydroxyl groups that are responsible for its solubility in water and its hygroscopic nature. Its surface tension is 64.00 mN/m at 20 °C , and it has a temperature coefficient of -0.0598 mN/(m K). The glycerol substructure is a central component of many lipids.

Treatment (though very broad)

frequent cleansing, topical ointments, (antibiotics are bad don't remember why I just have it written down in my notes sorry)

Accutane is a derivative from vitamin A and it inhibits sebum production.

So in a nutshell. At puberty the male sex hormone testosterone really kicks in (yes females have testosterone in their body just not as much as a male) and makes your sebaceous glands produce more sebum than needed and the Microorganisms feed on the glycerol in the sebum which results in clogging pores.

So the idea that I have and im sure others have had the same. since Accutane is a derivative from vitamin A (its chemically made from it, again not quite sure exactly how yet) and Accutane makes your sebaceous glands produce less sebum. My idea is that vitamin A is very important. So my idea is to eat foods with vitamin A in them more often. I am not saying eat Vitamin A all day. That can be dangerous you can actually cause damage to your body from to much vitamin A.

here are some foods with vitamin A thanks to Wiki again

liver (beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish)

carrots

sweet potatoes

kale

butter

spinach

leafy vegetables

pumpkin

collard greens

cantaloupe melon

eggs

apricots

papaya

mango

peas

broccoli

winter squash

I have been working more carrots and spinach into my diet and I have seen very good results. I no longer get the "big" pimple any more. I have a few small pimples along my jaw line and cheeks, but its all mainly red marks now just have to figure out how to take care of those now. Any suggestions on red marks posted in this thread would help.

Note- Still use whatever face washes work well for you.

Hope this helps some people!

This is a known solution, well temporary solution for some. Increasing Vitamin A intake is helpful at fighting acne but can be very dangerous. Hence, accutane is prescribed because it is 'thought' to be safer than a massive dose of vitamin A. How true this is is anybody's guess.

Overdosing on vitamin a can lead to serious problems like chronic joint pain, hair loss and a myraige of other side effects. Be careful.

Hopefully you also learned that vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin and vitamin A toxicity is possible, so be careful not to overdo this and balance out the A intake with other, water soluble vitamins.

Simply increasing your dietary intake of vitamin A will have little to no impact on reducing acne breakouts. In order for vitamin A to have an effect, it needs to be taken in extremely high (and likely dangerous - as others have pointed out) doses.

I do mention in my post that large amounts of vitamin A is dangerous. Not sure how 3 people seemed to over read it.

I also did say that some people have probably thought of this also. I was just simple putting it out there for people who may not have a diet which consists of a sufficient amount of vitamin A. I realize that my post seem to say load up on vitamin A. I was trying to point out the importance of vitamin A to people who may not be getting enough of it, because for me I was eating one of the foods mentioned maybe one time a week. So in increasing my intake was very helpful.

I do mention in my post that large amounts of vitamin A is dangerous. Not sure how 3 people seemed to over read it.

I also did say that some people have probably thought of this also. I was just simple putting it out there for people who may not have a diet which consists of a sufficient amount of vitamin A. I realize that my post seem to say load up on vitamin A. I was trying to point out the importance of vitamin A to people who may not be getting enough of it, because for me I was eating one of the foods mentioned maybe one time a week. So in increasing my intake was very helpful.

We didn't miss it in your post (at least I didn't - and I mentioned that other posters pointed this out too, I was including you in that). The point simply worth reiterating, since megadosing on vitamin A carries such high risks. Its been discussed in many threads on this board, and tried by board members as well. Most gave up on it, either because they didn't get good results, or they had side effects from the high doses of vitamin A. Many on the boards try to discourage others from this risky practice, so that probably is why you have had negative responses to your post.

Hello, just to let everyone know I am a freshman in college and I am studying to become a PA (Physician Assistant). In my BIO class we just finished going over the skin. During this we learned a little bit about acne, and since I suffer from moderate acne this peeked my interest. Here is basically what I took away from the lecture. Like I said i'm not and expert yet, but this is just a little bit of what I have learned.

Acne is Inflammation of Sebaceous glands (produces sebum which is the oil on your face)

Male sex hormones stimulate sebaceous glands to increase in size & hypersecrete (over secrete)

Microorganisms feed on glycerol from sebum causing inflammation and plugging glands

Next time you're in class ask your teacher if castration is a possible cure-I'm half tempted to go that route.