Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFleege91

Yes or No? Looking for advice on accutane....

Hey everybody. My name is Matt and I am 17 years old. I have been suffering from mild acne since about my Freshman year in high school. I have tried so many different types of cream and pills and can't get the results I am looking for. I have talked to my dermatoligist before about using accutane but never really had the guts to get on it. Lately I have been getting fed up. I want clear skin and feel I will have a much better Senior year if my skin were clear or clearer. There have been kids in my school that have been on it and one kid in particular had such dry skin he looked like a lizard and had skin literally flaking off from his face. I really would not like this to happen to me and when I talked to my girlfriend(of 8 months, anniversary tomorrow!!!!) about this she really doesnt want me to get on it in fear of me looking like the poor kid that had the uber dry skin(he has perfectly clear skin now and its not dry). So it would be great if people would post some comments whether they have been on accutane, are on accutane, or thinking about using accutane. I have my first blood test tomorrow before school and really need to make a decision soon.

Bro, I'm in the exact same position, 17 years old, tried EVERY pill/cream/ointment/antibiotic there is that was ever made. I know exactly how you feel, and I was offered Accutane by my doctor by my doctor, however, my mom saw the stupid iPledge book, freaked out and immediately asked for other options. She's now reconsidering after doing some research, so we are making an appointment.

Honestly bro this is my opinion, Acne is something I HATE with a passion. If I knew that I could take a pill for six months, possibly look hideous, and then be cured, I would do it in a heartbeat. I know I have caught people looking at my acne before, so what. Adding a little dry skin for six month isn't that bad if I knew that it would be gone forever after six months. But you have to realize, whatever you take, it'll get worse before it gets better.

In my honest opinion, a little dry skin isn't that big of a consequence. Just pick up some Vaseline and a couple of Moisturizers and you should be fine.

I've considered it for a while, and honestly, its kinda freaked me out too, simply because it is such a powerful drug. But once your on it, and its over, 6 months from now you'll look bad and realize it was all worth it. Because your skin is clear, its staying clear, and you don't have to worry about waking up every morning rubbing 64684651987987 billion different medications on it to keep everything looking like it does!

I'm just saying bro, in my opinion it looks worth it.

Does anyone know why my picture isnt working? I changed it in my profile but its not showing up.

The picture in your profile is called your profile picture and is separate from the one that appears next to your posts, which is called your avatar. You can change your avatar settings here.

Thanks and I think I am going to get on it but it just makes me second guess. Especially when I get jokes like I wont date you anymore and the few people that I have talked to said i hope your face doesnt fall off like that other kid. I think im gonna ask for a small dosage to start off and see where it goes

Yea, and I know this doesn't have anything to do with Accutane, but if a girls says something like she won't date you anymore if you take it, isn't that kinda shallow?

Not picking at your girl or anything bro

Oh and the Accutane, everyone in the world is gonna second guess a drug like that, its gonna happen, but you can't worry about it too much.

Dude, u decide...

6-8 Months of dry ass,dry skin, chapped lips etc., but after that a life time of clear pleasure doesnt sound that bad, does it?

I never even thought twice...my opinion...get on the shit asap..

exactly man and i know the whole shallow thing haha but its kinda of an inside joke type deal. but im getting on it i just decided. kinda a self realization i guesss. and my fasting started like 3 hours ago for the blood test so i guess you can say i started

with mild acne tho does any1 know what dosage i will probably be put on?

it just depends on how much you weigh in kilogram. i weigh 67kg, so i should get atleast 60mg. if you weigh 80kg then 80mg daily. thats how it usually should be, unless you can ask your doctor to lower the dose, but you will be on the drug for longer. i rather just take the usually dosage and finish the 5-6 month course than have it extended to 7-8 months.

Yea, I'm about 150-155lbs and I think my weight was around 71kg. But if your not sure, there is a website that converts it for you.

But hey man good luck, I'm getting ready to start and I'm kinda scared. So talking you into it kinda talked me into it, which is good I guess.

You will have a hard time kissing her. (Just so you know)

But I'm on it too. I waited a little too late until I was a freshman in college. Do it as early as possible, IMO, because it'll mean clearer skin sooner. Your girlfriend will stand by you while you look like a lizard. It'll give you guys a good bonding experience.

Haha yea thanks. I have had the whole dry lips kissing thing. I've learned to handle it tho. But I had my first blood test today and didnt really know what to expect. It was quick, easy, and painless for me. The only downer was that I had to wake up earlier then usual because my appointmet was before school. I see the derm on Wednesday so we will just have to wait and see what he says. Right now I have really high hopes and hope to be clear as soon as possible. Does anyone have any good products to keep your face moist during the day? If so please let me know.

ALRIGHTTTTTT. Today I had my derm appointment and he prescribed me accutane!!! WOOOOO. Its now 7:00 P.M. and my mother is picking up my prescription so I can start tonight. Lets hope I know what I am getting myself into. For accutane itself I am going to be alternating between 1 pill and 2 pills a day after first. My derm reccommend this because he said I would not have a break out or a very bad break out right off the back. (Easing your way into he said)

I also asked my mom to get me Cetaphil, Aquaphor, emu oil, and vitamin A tablets. I have been told that all the products work well and I just know that vitamin A is good for you skin. I'll probably post later what my dosage is but right now I dont quite now. So wish me luck!

Day 1

Took my first pill at night. Was hoping for some major cure or something. But otherwise fine.

Day 2

Took a pill in the morning and night. Didnt wake up with any side effects and still face is getting a little better.

Day 3

Woke up and still no side effects. Face continuously improving. Hopefully it stays that way. I only take one pill today and im going to take right after this post. (lips are a tiny tiny bit dry but its probably from the cold weather. Its already snowed like 4 or 5 times in the last couple of days)

If anyone would post anything about when they started feeling a difference that would be great.

my m8 has just come off accutane and hes said da only side effects he got was dry lips nd that was it!!! i have just started on accutane and am at day 8 and experiencing no side effects!! he also said dat it takes about 2 months to start working so hang in there.

personally i think some people are trying to scare others out of taking it cuz they may have experienced soming bad but everyone is different and will have different effects, i also think (hope) that the bad effects if eny will be balanced out by the good effects like increased confidence if u get me.

cheers

First off I want to say sorry for not posting to the very few amout of people who have checked this topic and second ill start off with whats going on that I have failed to mention. I am currently on 40 mg of sortet.

Day 5

Well im finally starting to feel it a little bit. My lips are dry but its manageable. Im still glopping benzoyle peroxide (I dont know if thats the right spelling) on my face at night. Its weird because Im getting stomach aches every once in awhile and that never usually happens but I am dealing with it. Ive broken out a little and my face is drying up. For me acne has never hurt before but its kinda hurting now. There is just one on my upper neck and it hurts but o well. My right cheek is fine so far but my left is having a little trouble. And everything that has broken out or has been on my face is heading out which is good. I think its just pushing everything out before it starts to clear up. (I hope)

I think my face is getting a little red which I heard is normal. Hopefully I will get results soon.

I was thinking too about how females have a hormone that make them forget about the pains of labor and pregnancy after they have their child. I think everybodys got it and from what Ive read a lot of people feel that way after accutane so Im going to stick it out. (Maybe theres a connection, and I learned that from Scrubs the tv show by the way)

ALRIGHTTTTTT. Today I had my derm appointment and he prescribed me accutane!!! WOOOOO. Its now 7:00 P.M. and my mother is picking up my prescription so I can start tonight. Lets hope I know what I am getting myself into. For accutane itself I am going to be alternating between 1 pill and 2 pills a day after first. My derm reccommend this because he said I would not have a break out or a very bad break out right off the back. (Easing your way into he said)

I also asked my mom to get me Cetaphil, Aquaphor, emu oil, and vitamin A tablets. I have been told that all the products work well and I just know that vitamin A is good for you skin. I'll probably post later what my dosage is but right now I dont quite now. So wish me luck!

Heya

Please don't take Vitamin A as a supplement, Accutane IS a derivative of Vitamin A and they are not to be taken together. There is some evidence that vitamin E helps, though it isnt proven fact.

hope this helps

It seems to me the people that ae giving you advice fall into 2 categories? 1, they are just taking the drugs themselves,and as such can give you no assurances of the drug and secondly there are people just as hopeful as yourself ,wanting the drug to work? I might be a little cynical,but I took the drugs a long time ago and have suffered 23 years or hurt,torment,depression,paralysis,and a lot more! remember what the drug is? It was made to treat cancers and as such is a Poison...it was found to work on acne by accident,cancer sufferers with acne responded to this drug by accident.!!!! would you play Rusian roulette with a loaded gun if you thought you 'might' get clear skin......would you take that chance.If you can answer that question from your heart and 'honestly' I think you will know if you wanna take accutane or not?

Please don't think i'm preaching but i'm trying to give your mind a bit of balance against the other sufferers who are looking for a miracle cure.

regards

Allan