Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl Peroxide prolongs red marks. True or False?

MemberMember
(@meagain)

Posted : 11/02/2008 5:15 pm

Ok so I've heard some ppl say BP does prolong redmarks and some say it does not..have there been any experiments done or anything that anybody knows about. Or has anybody had any experiences that would support the claim as true or false. THANKS!!!

MemberMember
(@meagain)

Posted : 11/02/2008 10:48 pm

seriously no one...at least some of u guys have got to know

MemberMember
(@packerfan785)

Posted : 11/02/2008 10:50 pm

Your not going to find scientific proof but from all accounts I have seen I believe so.

MemberMember
(@harvard)

Posted : 11/03/2008 2:21 am

Up most certain that BP will pro-long red marks. Overall I think BP causes the red marks in the first place, by drying out that pimple and not leaving it alone like you should.

MemberMember
(@prettyboy909)

Posted : 11/03/2008 4:01 am

Yeah I heard something like that that Bp prolongs redmarks but I cant say for certain that this is true

MemberMember
(@meagain)

Posted : 11/03/2008 12:16 pm

thanks you! ok im gonna stop using bp for a little while or at least only a few days per week and try tea tree oil the other days...

MemberMember
(@meagain)

Posted : 11/03/2008 12:17 pm

thanks you! ok im gonna stop using bp for a little while or at least only a few days per week and try tea tree oil the other days...

MemberMember
(@meagain)

Posted : 11/03/2008 7:27 pm

idk my friend uses tea trea oil once a day and swears by it so i just figured it wouldnt hurt to try....

MemberMember
(@pogiboi)

Posted : 11/04/2008 12:01 pm

i think it does prolong them from my experiences

MemberMember
(@terah)

Posted : 11/05/2008 4:59 pm

I used proactive from nov 06-jan 08... it cleared up my face for a while- really well!! for about 4-5mo i didn't have any acne the majority of the time.. and if i did, it was a couple of small ones. Anyway.. i didn't have an scars either after about 7mos.. Proactiv has a total of 5% benzoyl peroxide, and my scars faded quickly, and completely!! Now, i'm using facedoctor, and it is helping alot, and my acne was a lott worse post-proactive than pre-proactive.. but the scars are not fading any more quickly than they did when i was using proactiv.. they seem to be fading more slowly :(.. tea tree oil did not seem to help w.scarring even after a long time. But all that's just me :)

MemberMember
(@rickpaul)

Posted : 11/06/2008 5:46 pm

yea i think they prolong red marks

i stopped using it for about 3 months n almost all of disappeared.

i use TT oil n it works effectively

MemberMember
(@brokendoll)

Posted : 11/08/2008 12:52 am

i actually am guna say NO on that.

My face is ACTUALLY clear- no active pimples- just minor red marks.

i had seriously bad red marks and tried all sorts of peels- and lemon juice (which worked great) and glycolic etc.

honestly- my red marks are fading fast and i use a shit ton of BP. the best thing is time. as long as the bp is stopping new ones from forming.. the old marks finally get to heal.

heres my routine and it workssssssss for me and my olive easily scarrd skin:

morning:

olay daily renewal wash - but i use the exfoliating wash pads to wash with (i dont use a wash cloth (germy and abraisive) and i dont just use my hands (toooooooooo gentle... no exfoliation- when i did this way according to dans method of being gentle- i just noticed dead skin building up)

- and i BLOWDRY my face with the COOL air (ive heard people sleeping w fans and just the circulating air helps their face a LOT- this is working huge for me i think.)

dans bp- let it dry- and follow with neutrogene visibly even moisturizer (i swearrrr by this stuff! moisturizes... even skin tone (i think this is helping huge w the red marks) and it doesnt cause mroe breakouts or shine (my skin is wicked oily)

i use EM makeup w the MUF HD primer underneath

at nite i wash off - maybe do a mask if im in the mood- and LOAD LOAD LOAD on bp.

lifes been good ever since.

thak god for dan

red marks are fading and i use all the bp i can load on. sooooo i do no agree that it prolongs it =)

MemberMember
(@azndk01)

Posted : 11/11/2008 10:28 pm

Yea I think bp prolongs red marks, cuz I used to use this dan's Regimen twice a day for like 6 months, the acne cleared up but still got scars and red marks. So right now I'm doing this once a day. Some one told me on this forum after your skin is quite healed and barely no acne you can wash your face with just water. I have bought 3 shipments of Dan's products and i'm thinking it's showed improvements but still not satisfied.

MemberMember
(@acnepwns)

Posted : 11/11/2008 10:34 pm

From my experience BP does prolong red marks. It seems to make my red marks more of a darker blackish/brownish color when it would usually be redish/brownish. I think AHA would get rid of that problem though. BP seems to make dead skin stick onto your skin much longer.

MemberMember
(@azndk01)

Posted : 11/11/2008 11:00 pm

What can you use to replace bp? I'm thinkin stop using this bp. I just read this bout to get some apple cider vinegar ,apply it on. And then drink lemon juice with water. But does this stop red marks ?

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Free-ish-...ment-t4885.html

MemberMember
(@jesskite)

Posted : 11/14/2008 1:13 am

What can you use to replace bp? I'm thinkin stop using this bp. I just read this bout to get some apple cider vinegar ,apply it on. And then drink lemon juice with water. But does this stop red marks ?

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Free-ish-...ment-t4885.html

Well I use salicylic acid in place of BP; rather than killing bacteria SA works to slough off dead skin. For some people BP works better; for others, it's SA. You might want to give it a try, I see Dan's making SA now.

I still have stubborn red marks though...real annoying cause they look just as bad as zits depending on the lighting!! grrrrr

MemberMember
(@meagain)

Posted : 11/20/2008 2:31 pm

so i know its been a lil while but im gonna update this...i think bp does prolong red marks at least in my case. i havent used it in over a month. i had an IB at first but it was only little under the skin pimples so i had those extracted. anyway heres what ive been using tha gets rid of pimples and redmarks in my experience anyway.

AT NIGHT:

wash with dans cleanser( i really like it)

tone with acv+green tea mixture 1/2 and 1/2

then mix 3 drops jojoba oil (full of vit E) to 1-2 drops pure tea trea oil (anti bacterial)

MORNING

wash with dan's cleanser

use grean tea matte moisture (from the body shop..i loooove it it kepps my face from getting oily.)

then put on makeup (has spf in it)

Oh yea and then i drink 2tbs of ACV mixed with a glass of water 2wice a day (this is a Godsend really u have to try it)

And once every 1-2 weeks do a lactic acid peel (only for like a couple of months)...suuuper mild but ive done it twice and it seems to be helping already? Its supposed to be done 6-8 times

so this regimine works great for me& may work for others...just stick to it

MemberMember
(@sunshine2410)

Posted : 11/21/2008 2:26 pm

it does for me!

it does for me!!

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/21/2008 2:53 pm

If you have your acne under control, it might not be bad to include something to help with your red marks, since BP is a drying agent, it can reduce your skin's elasticity, which in turn can get in the way of your skin healing scars.

Personally, BP is the ONLY thing that keeps my active acne away, and so to prevent further breakouts that would lead to redmarks, I use the BP and an AHA as a moisturizer to help with the scarring.

MemberMember
(@paulvg)

Posted : 11/21/2008 6:45 pm

Its true...as a proof,click on this link...

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules that you agreed to when you signed up here. Also realize that that site sells its own products that don't include BP so of course they'll try to demonize BP....*

MemberMember
(@skatelakai)

Posted : 01/18/2009 6:19 pm

well, Ive been using proactive since April 08, till this day. I get minor breakout every couple or days or so. I would not mind these, but they contribute to my red mark situation. I have a bunch of those red marks from past blemishes, you think if I discontinue using the BP then they will go way?

FYI- Do NOT go out in the sun without your face protected with a moisturizer or sunscreen of at least spf 15 if you have these red marks, the sun makes them darker and prolongs them.

MemberMember
(@transporter)

Posted : 05/22/2010 3:45 pm

Acually i'm gonna take brokens side that he/shes right abut it, if you dont apply bp for days thn your acne will occur again wid more acne instead ov detting better your skin willl go to the worst.. so dont leave bp use it N try lemon juice or apple cider vinger on your skin to fade redness try it for a week N youll get the results.. =)

i actually am guna say NO on that.

My face is ACTUALLY clear- no active pimples- just minor red marks.

i had seriously bad red marks and tried all sorts of peels- and lemon juice (which worked great) and glycolic etc.

honestly- my red marks are fading fast and i use a shit ton of BP. the best thing is time. as long as the bp is stopping new ones from forming.. the old marks finally get to heal.

heres my routine and it workssssssss for me and my olive easily scarrd skin:

morning:

olay daily renewal wash - but i use the exfoliating wash pads to wash with (i dont use a wash cloth (germy and abraisive) and i dont just use my hands (toooooooooo gentle... no exfoliation- when i did this way according to dans method of being gentle- i just noticed dead skin building up)

- and i BLOWDRY my face with the COOL air (ive heard people sleeping w fans and just the circulating air helps their face a LOT- this is working huge for me i think.)

dans bp- let it dry- and follow with neutrogene visibly even moisturizer (i swearrrr by this stuff! moisturizes... even skin tone (i think this is helping huge w the red marks) and it doesnt cause mroe breakouts or shine (my skin is wicked oily)

i use EM makeup w the MUF HD primer underneath

at nite i wash off - maybe do a mask if im in the mood- and LOAD LOAD LOAD on bp.

lifes been good ever since.

thak god for dan

red marks are fading and i use all the bp i can load on. sooooo i do no agree that it prolongs it =)

MemberMember
(@troubledtimes)

Posted : 05/22/2010 5:37 pm

Id say they definately do.. Ive been using differin for over a month now with BP on chin pimples and they always leave behind purple marks, most of them havnt even faded yet and its been this long. I think Im going to stop the BP, but it sucks because I cant use anything else because of the differin... which I cant say for sure if its working or not :/

MemberMember
(@amyelizabeth94)

Posted : 05/23/2010 10:39 am

Read up on Niacinamide. I use Metazine brand with niacinamide, witch hazel, and aloe vera. It works pretty well. I stopped used BP about a month ago because it made my red marks last longer. I do use Mandelic Acid, copper peptides, emu oil, and take spironolactone. The spiro is probably the main reason I'm clear.

MemberMember
(@jaynine9)

Posted : 05/25/2010 11:51 am

i too find bp prolongs red marks. as well as hyperpigmentation.