Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bkatlynn26

Back from Derm with treatment plan

Managed to get into the dermatologist yesterday, my appt. wasn't until next week, they had a cancelation so I got lucky. Anyway, of course I was diagnosed with "Adult acne" but a mild case, and I have a lot of hyperpigmentation, those darn red spots that take forever to heal. He told me to stay away from Plastic surgeons offices and Esthiticians, because they are only out for your money and sell you products, good for make up but not for skin, and the PS are good for tummy tucks and breast augmentation NOT for skin, lesson learned.

So, anyway, here's what he prescribed me: An antibiotic Minocycline 100mg (said that would clear up the red spots), Benzoyl Peroxide 4% Creamy wash (use 2x a day),Clindamycin 1% lotion (use at night before bed), and Differin 0.1% (use at bed time). Now, I have to say I'm not so sure I agree with using the Differin vs 0.025% Retin A, because from all that I've read theres not a lot of difference between these 2 products except, that after the red/peeeling stage, the Retin A gives you nice glowing skin and improves texture of skin(thats what it did for me) where the Differin just clears acne, correct me if I'm wrong, please! I still have a few tubes left of the Retin A 0.025, so I'm debating.

I explained how I was worried my skin was damaged because how dry it was and it didn't look so healthy in the area where I was broken out and he said he thinks it just needs time to heal, and he wants to see me back in 2 mths and if there's any damage then he can do Fraxil laser, about 3 sessions would correct anything. I told him that I have not read good reviews on that procedure and he said that the person needs to know what they are doing which he does and has done a lot of patients with no complaints, all had good results. He took a pic of my face and said, I just want to be able to compare so when you come back you can see the difference, but he things my skin will heal just fine.

So, that will be my treatment for now and we'll see how it goes. One thing is for sure, I will, unfortunately need to be on Acne produtcs for the rest of my life, I mean, my mother is in her late 60's and STILL gets a pimple here and there, ain't genetics great?! I've also learned that babies who have "Baby acne" are more likely to develope acne as they get older, which is not good all 4 of my kids have had this, some mild and some severe, so this is what I have to look forward to! Anyway, thats my update, if anyone has any info on any of the meds I'm using or the difference between that Differin and Retin A please let me know, thanks!

Allison