Notifications
Clear all

My Epiduo experience

MemberMember
(@miho)

Posted : 10/29/2008 12:57 pm

Hi guys,

My dermatologist has prescribed me a new combination topical which consists of Adapalene 0.1% mixed with a 2.5% BP solution. The product has been named Epiduo and is being marketed by Galderma.

I use it only at night which is the recommended frequency. Been using the product for a good 3 weeks now, and am very happy about the results.

About me:

33 year old F with recurring t-zone acne and bacne, as well as chest breakouts. I guess my acne is mild to moderate (no cysts). I was on Diane and then Yaz for 12 years but had to stop because of increasing hormonal discolorings in the face.

I also use Murad's Acne Body Wash each morning which I find to a great supplement to the Epiduo. For the face I use a mild cleanser and skin tonic and oil-free moisturizer. I also have to moisturize the chest area, since the Epiduo/Acne body wash combination is proving a little harsh for my skin.

My aim is to get 100% acne/bacne free and this log will document if and how I will succeed.

At the moment, my chest is already 90% clear, back is 70% clear and face 50%.

MemberMember
(@egy95)

Posted : 01/24/2009 12:50 pm

Hi guys,

My dermatologist has prescribed me a new combination topical which consists of Adapalene 0.1% mixed with a 2.5% BP solution. The product has been named Epiduo and is being marketed by Galderma.

I use it only at night which is the recommended frequency. Been using the product for a good 3 weeks now, and am very happy about the results.

About me:

33 year old F with recurring t-zone acne and bacne, as well as chest breakouts. I guess my acne is mild to moderate (no cysts). I was on Diane and then Yaz for 12 years but had to stop because of increasing hormonal discolorings in the face.

I also use Murad's Acne Body Wash each morning which I find to a great supplement to the Epiduo. For the face I use a mild cleanser and skin tonic and oil-free moisturizer. I also have to moisturize the chest area, since the Epiduo/Acne body wash combination is proving a little harsh for my skin.

My aim is to get 100% acne/bacne free and this log will document if and how I will succeed.

MemberMember
(@egy95)

Posted : 01/24/2009 12:54 pm

Hi guys,

About me:

Hi MIHO,

I was also just prescribed epiduo a few days ago, and i was wondering how it was working for you, i also want to know how often you used when you first started just because my derm told me not to use it everyday at first until i adjust to it and i was just wondering how well your skin adjusted. Thanks

MemberMember
(@eddy_if)

Posted : 01/25/2009 12:09 am

Do we get the same effect if we apply BP 2,5% and then layer it with Differin 0.1%. Since it's same .. I want to try this method, but still afraid that will be bad effect :D

MemberMember
(@lmr0906)

Posted : 02/04/2009 7:09 pm

I stated Epiduo 3 nights ago and have been really impressed with the results so far. I have persistant mild to moderate acne in the t-zone area. Since starting Epiduo, it has cleared up the pimples I have and no new ones have formed...yet! Fingers crossed. I was using Proactiv prior to this so that may be why my skin is not freaking out...I am used to BP.

I have experienced a slight burning when applying the product but it has gotten better with each passing night I have applied it. I was out in the sun yesterday for about 15 minutes and I noticed the burning sensation again. I have a bit of dryness but my normal oil-free moisturizer is helping.

I will keep you updated as to how it goes!

MemberMember
(@ksan86)

Posted : 02/04/2009 7:45 pm

WOW im liking what i hear! my dermatologist just prescribed me epiduo also, ive suffered from acne off and on since 15 and now its full blown. ill update you onthe progress soon, im going to the pharmacy to pick it up! ;)

MemberMember
(@lmr0906)

Posted : 02/12/2009 5:44 pm

Great! How do you like it so far?

I am about 10 days into it so far. I am still really impressed with Epiduo. I did not have any breakouts until today and I have one on my chin. I know this is probably hormonal. Usually about this time in my cycle I would have 5-10 pimples so I'll take one! My one complaint is that my face HURTS if I put any pressure on it. Hopefully this will go away soon. I did experience some dryness last week but it has since gone away.

MemberMember
(@leesett)

Posted : 02/20/2009 3:52 pm

Any luck with this stuff??

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 02/28/2009 3:20 pm

I just started using this on Monday and it has really killed a lot of my pimples. The only thing I do like is it makes my face feel like its caught on fire and it takes a long time for that to go away. It really is helping me with redmarks too

MemberMember
(@avanineglect)

Posted : 03/04/2009 12:15 am

Hi everyone, just prescribed the Epiduo today after a nightmare with Differin that lasted two nights only! honestly, I would rather have the acne than what the Differin did to me... holy cow...

I am picking up the Epi tomorrow; I was hesitant at first because I know this is a "new" product, but after reading some of your posts I am feeling better about it. I have two thoughts remaining:

1) This product contains .1% of the adapelene, right? Which is exactly what Differin contains? So how will using that PLUS another treatment on top of it be less horrific for my face in terms of redness, flaking, burning, drying, etc? I guess there are some inactive ingredients in it? My dermatologist said something about Vitamin A?

2) So how much is this really drying out your skin? On the second day after using Differin, my face was covered in dry, red splotches that were flaking everywhere, including, weirdly enough, on my scalp. It burned to the touch and whenever I tried to put ANY product on it to relieve it or cover it up. So what can I expect from the Epiduo?

Let me know your dryness factor, thanks a bunch,

MemberMember
(@bemt)

Posted : 03/21/2009 11:01 am

Hey Guys,

I'm so glad to hear Epiduo is working for you all!

I've been using Epiduo for 3 weeks now, and I'm not seeing any improvement. I'm also taking 500 mg of tetracyline every day, and I wash my face with Glytone cleanser. I'm still getting new pimples and my skin is really dry and flaky!

Are you guys also taking antibiotics with Epiduo? I wonder if I should stop the tetra, and just use the Epiduo.

Also, what moisturizers do you recommend? I used Neutrogena's and it just made me break-out more.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 03/21/2009 11:31 am

Hi everyone, just prescribed the Epiduo today after a nightmare with Differin that lasted two nights only! honestly, I would rather have the acne than what the Differin did to me... holy cow...

I am picking up the Epi tomorrow; I was hesitant at first because I know this is a "new" product, but after reading some of your posts I am feeling better about it. I have two thoughts remaining:

1) This product contains .1% of the adapelene, right? Which is exactly what Differin contains? So how will using that PLUS another treatment on top of it be less horrific for my face in terms of redness, flaking, burning, drying, etc? I guess there are some inactive ingredients in it? My dermatologist said something about Vitamin A?

2) So how much is this really drying out your skin? On the second day after using Differin, my face was covered in dry, red splotches that were flaking everywhere, including, weirdly enough, on my scalp. It burned to the touch and whenever I tried to put ANY product on it to relieve it or cover it up. So what can I expect from the Epiduo?

Let me know your dryness factor, thanks a bunch,

That is odd that they would switch you from Differin to Epiduo if you had such a strong reaction to the Differin. They both contain adaplelene (Differin comes in two strengths - .1% and .3%). Which strength were you using?

The active ingredient in Differin that helps clear acne is a derivative of Vitamin A (like all retinoids such as Retin-A, Retinol, Tazorac), same with the Epiduo. The Epiduo also contains benzoyl peroxide, which may help reduce inflammation and the likelihood of getting an initial acne flare on the Differin. However, may also add to any dryness and irritation.

If you decide to try the new medication, maybe start off using it every other night and see how your skin handles it? I am surprised that your derm didn't suggest that method with the Differin. Retinoids can be irritating to the skin when you first start them and sometimes starting off slowly can help your skin adjust better.

MemberMember
(@mac1205)

Posted : 04/05/2009 12:23 am

Ive been using epiduo for a week now but my dermo told me to use it 2 times a day and it doesnt seem like anyone else its doing that. im wondering if i should switch to once a day since my face is pretty much falling off and everything i put on it burns. it does work though! i had a cyst on my cheek and its almost gone! for a weeks time id say thats pretty good

MemberMember
(@chris87)

Posted : 04/07/2009 11:19 pm

I just started epiduo. I am glad that many people are not having bad effects to it. The only thing I noticed is that it is expensive stuff. I wonder what gives it a retail price of over 200.00 dollars. I have insurance and with the 35 dollar saving card they give you it still cost me 25.00. I wonder if i didn't have insurance if I could justify that 218 dollar cost.

MemberMember
(@gresilda)

Posted : 04/09/2009 12:39 pm

I just want to say that I have had a terrible, I repeat terrible experience with Epiduo. I am 22 and I have mild acne. After just three days I experienced intense burning and itching while applying it. I thought that was normal so I just kept using it. On the fourth day I woke up to swelling, really bad red blotches on my cheeks and chin, peeling and scaling, and an intense burning all over my face. I had a sunburn on my forehead. It was a nightmare. I am switching back to differin since that never gave me any of these reactions. Something to keep in mind for those who are considering trying this medicine!!

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 04/09/2009 12:43 pm

Im glad its working well for you. I have extremely sensitive skin and I had to quit using it because made my face feel like it caught on fire everytime I used it. I used it for four weeks and it still did that. Its not a mild burning either.

MemberMember
(@whitney-amber)

Posted : 04/13/2009 12:41 pm

Epiduo is so harsh! My doctor told me to use it morning and night and while it is clearing up my acne, it's killing my skin! I've been using for less than a week and my face is constantly burning and red. My skin is dry and flaking and really tight all over my face. Even worse the burning sensation increases with whatever else I put on my face. Even makeup, soaps and moisturizers make it burn. I called my dermatologist today and he suggested putting a hold on my treatment until it heals. After that I think I'll try once a day. I don't know how much more of the burn I can take.

MemberMember
(@draagonys)

Posted : 04/13/2009 6:44 pm

today i have seen much improvement, but not as much as i hoped. I stil have this big pimple on my cheek that its partially dark and its soft and it wont come out!! I then have small pimples all over my face. I just had another one in my lip. I don't know if this Epiduo is working...I just bought the facial cleanser for normal to oily skin (CEtaphil) is this maybe making it worse than the Gentle cleanser I used. I also notice that I have been sleeping late so I put Epiduo at 12 to 1am, I don't know what it is ...fustrated..will se the derm on the 22nd... anybody else has any experiences...please let me know...

Please let me know what cleanser are you guys using with Epiduo. I have been using Epiduo for 5 weeks now. It can't seem to kill the big pimple on my cheek, I reserving from using anything else and give Epiduo its credit or not so to change it if nothing happens by the sixth week. I also have very very oily skin. please answer.

Hi guys,

About me:

MemberMember
(@michy84)

Posted : 04/25/2009 10:34 am

Hey fellow acne-sufferers,

I'm new here. 24/f who has persistent mild acne. My skin is mostly non-inflamed but congested, with lots of blackheads and whiteheads. I get inflamed pimples on my chin sometimes. Derm just prescribed me epiduo and clenia (I think he prescribed Clenia cream, but pharm gave me the wash and I rather like it). I was on retin-A when I was a teenager, but now I think that I am older and wiser and can avoid many of the irritating side effects. I'm easing into it by applying every other night. I use Clenia wash every morning and Aveeno calming . Only 1 application so far so I can't really evaluate it yet, but I will let you know if I have any success. Fingers crossed!

Michy

MemberMember
(@rebecca648)

Posted : 05/06/2009 11:37 am

I've been using Epiduo for about a week and a half and so far it is awful. I'm a 24/f and have suffered from mild acne for the past couple years. I used Clindamycin pledglets for a year and they were great, but my dermatologist suggested I try Epiduo. So far my acne is worse than it has ever been, my skin is oily and dry all at the same time. It is burning like crazy and peeling all over. I read on the website it gets worse before it gets better, but how long does that last? My dermatologist didn't warn me of this so I don't know how long to stick with it! Does anyone who has used Epiduo have a good estimate or experienced this as well? I don't know if I am being impatient or if I should throw in the towel on this medicine and ask for a different one.

MemberMember
(@bruingrl456)

Posted : 05/06/2009 12:16 pm

I've been using Epiduo for about a week and a half and so far it is awful. I'm a 24/f and have suffered from mild acne for the past couple years. I used Clindamycin pledglets for a year and they were great, but my dermatologist suggested I try Epiduo. So far my acne is worse than it has ever been, my skin is oily and dry all at the same time. It is burning like crazy and peeling all over. I read on the website it gets worse before it gets better, but how long does that last? My dermatologist didn't warn me of this so I don't know how long to stick with it! Does anyone who has used Epiduo have a good estimate or experienced this as well? I don't know if I am being impatient or if I should throw in the towel on this medicine and ask for a different one.

Hey there.

I'm using Epiduo too at night, and I know what you mean, it used to burn SO badly but I think I'm finally used to it. It was prescribed about 3 weeks ago, I've been using it for 22 days. At about the 2 week mark, my skin broke out horribly. I have pretty mild acne I guess and simply wanted to get rid of a couple of zits that I had so this was really discouraging. All of a sudden I had gross papules on my forehead (which I had never had before) and all of these whiteheads on my chin. Going from three to, like, eight bumps was really upsetting. Because it has the adapalene (a retinoid) like Differin though, I think this might be the initial breakout? It seems as though ever since then my skin is getting slightly better... I don't have any new zits besides one whitehead on my chin, and the rest seem to be drying up, knock on wood! I should also mention that I was using minocycline for the first two weeks, and I stopped on Sunday because I had a terrible allergic reaction to it (hives, fever, sore throat, etc). Yesterday and today I have used Duac in the morning, which will hopefully help counter a continuance of the initial breakout, but I don't know. I also just added 50 mg zinc and fish oil capsules to my diet today so I hope those will do something.

Keep me posted with how you're doing -- I know that the adapalene is supposed to retrain your skin and make everything surface & get worse before it gets better, but if this is going to continue to make my acne worse then I really don't see the point in going onward since mine wasn't bad to begin with. I just wanted to clear some things up. Hopefully we're both just experiencing the initial breakout and will soon be in the clear? I mean, mine is looking better... *cross fingers*

I just started a blog today, so I'll be tracking mine too if you want to compare!

MemberMember
(@michy912)

Posted : 05/06/2009 5:06 pm

Hey there.

I'm using Epiduo too at night, and I know what you mean, it used to burn SO badly but I think I'm finally used to it. It was prescribed about 3 weeks ago, I've been using it for 22 days. At about the 2 week mark, my skin broke out horribly. I have pretty mild acne I guess and simply wanted to get rid of a couple of zits that I had so this was really discouraging. All of a sudden I had gross papules on my forehead (which I had never had before) and all of these whiteheads on my chin. Going from three to, like, eight bumps was really upsetting. Because it has the adapalene (a retinoid) like Differin though, I think this might be the initial breakout? It seems as though ever since then my skin is getting slightly better... I don't have any new zits besides one whitehead on my chin, and the rest seem to be drying up, knock on wood! I should also mention that I was using minocycline for the first two weeks, and I stopped on Sunday because I had a terrible allergic reaction to it (hives, fever, sore throat, etc). Yesterday and today I have used Duac in the morning, which will hopefully help counter a continuance of the initial breakout, but I don't know. I also just added 50 mg zinc and fish oil capsules to my diet today so I hope those will do something.

Keep me posted with how you're doing -- I know that the adapalene is supposed to retrain your skin and make everything surface & get worse before it gets better, but if this is going to continue to make my acne worse then I really don't see the point in going onward since mine wasn't bad to begin with. I just wanted to clear some things up. Hopefully we're both just experiencing the initial breakout and will soon be in the clear? I mean, mine is looking better... *cross fingers*

I just started a blog today, so I'll be tracking mine too if you want to compare!

I've been on epiduo for almost 2 weeks now and I'm pretty happy with it. My skin is very soft and looks much smoother. I also haven't had any real breakouts, although my acne is pretty mild and mostly non-inflammatory anyway. I had some redness last week but then I backed off and didn't apply it the next night. Have you been easing into it or have you been doing it daily since the beginning? If you're having a lot of burning, maybe you should take a few nights off. It really helped me. I'm up to 3 nights in a row without too much irritation. I also apply a good moisturizer about 30 min after I apply the epiduo. I think that has helped a lot. When I used retin a in high school I remember having a lot more irritation at the beginning, so this has been gentler on me. Of course, I'm not that far in yet so I won't declare victory for a few more weeks.

MemberMember
(@languages)

Posted : 05/06/2009 6:41 pm

If you're experiencing burning, try using less. I am also on Epiduo, and it burns slightly. But if I apply just enough to spread everywhere (and not any extra), then it won't burn. Honestly, I don't know if I like it too much..I know in the back of my mind I'll end up on Accutane in June when I go back for my followup. The derm mentioned it.

MemberMember
(@abell2882)

Posted : 05/22/2009 12:24 am

I was just prescribed Epiduo (as well as Doryx) and I literally just used my Epiduo for the first time tonight (so far no burning, hopefully it stays that way). I'm glad I found this thread (because of the useful information)! My doctor told me to do it once every other day and slowly work up to two applications, which I'll do. I am curious, did y'all start of using it twice a day? I'm a little hesitant because I also had a bad experience with Differin like a lot of other posters, but I am optimistic after seeing some of the posts on here. Hopefully those of you who are doing well on it are continuing to do well and those who haven't had a pleasant experience so far I hope you are doing better!

MemberMember
(@bruingrl456)

Posted : 05/22/2009 12:06 pm

I was just prescribed Epiduo (as well as Doryx) and I literally just used my Epiduo for the first time tonight (so far no burning, hopefully it stays that way). I'm glad I found this thread (because of the useful information)! My doctor told me to do it once every other day and slowly work up to two applications, which I'll do. I am curious, did y'all start of using it twice a day? I'm a little hesitant because I also had a bad experience with Differin like a lot of other posters, but I am optimistic after seeing some of the posts on here. Hopefully those of you who are doing well on it are continuing to do well and those who haven't had a pleasant experience so far I hope you are doing better!

Hey there,

No, I never used it twice a day, and if your doctor told you to do so eventually I wouldn't even try that for a few weeks. My doctor told me to only use it once a day, and I started off every other day and slowly built up a tolerance so that I could apply it frequently. If I felt irritated though I'd still take a night off. Unfortunately, going into my sixth week I gave up on the Epiduo and now just use the topical antibiotic Duac. It's summer and I want to be at the beach and around my friends, so even if Epiduo clears me in the long run it wasn't worth my acne getting so so so much worse from the initial breakout before it did. I had very mild acne to start with, and it just kept getting more and more terrible with the Epiduo due to the adapalene like Differin, so I kicked it to the curb and luckily my skin is quickly healing. Actually, if Differin didn't work for you I'm surprised that your doctor prescribed Epiduo, since it's the same drug but just with the added benzoyl peroxide. But I hope it works better for you than it did for me - maybe your previous experience with adapalene will help lessen the IB severity! Keep us posted on how it is going. I probably am going to regret giving up in the long run, but it's just not worth it to me right now.