Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
monstesjars

How to convince derm?

UPDATE POST #18

Ok, so for the past 4 months I've been visiting my damn doctor because he refused to give me a derm referral. I trieed 2 different creams, and a bunch of different antibiotics. As expected they did nothing and where a huge waste of time and money.

I finally got a referral this week after arguing with my doctor for so long. The bad news though is that the Derm he refferd me to is a very stubborn"doesn't listen to you" kind of doctor. My sister went to him so that's how I know.

Anyways, Ive had moderate acne for over 5 and a half years and I'm getting VERY sick of it. It pretty much ruined my high school social life and I will do ANYTHING from keeping it from ruining my college life. Even if it means buying accutane off the internet and taking it without a derms approval.

I do not want to do that, but I have a very good feeling that when I go to the derm next week he will refuse to prescribe it to me and just give another Bull Shit antibiotic and topical cream that will waste even more of my time and money.

So, do you guys have any pointers for helping me convince him?

PS - Why the fudge do doctors not listen to their patients. If I want something then give it to me. Im fudging paying your rich ass! I admire your opinion and advice, but it's MY choice to ignore you and you should respect that!

By the way, Im a guy if you havent noticed yet. :)

PSS - I was thinking about bringing up my sister. She had acne her whole life and went through dozenz and dozenz of treatments. She even went as far as getting laser treatment. None of it, even the laser treatment worked. The only thing she didn't try was accutane, and thats because she has migrane problems and it would have negatively affected her.

Considering the derm i'm going to visit is the same derm that had to deal with my sis all those years, do you think it would be smart to bring that up?

Great, now that I know you are a guy, I can finally be comfortable in asking you out on a date.

Considering the derm i'm going to visit is the same derm that had to deal with my sis all those years, do you think it would be smart to bring that up?

This is a very good idea, I think this alone will score you mucho sympathy pointios.

Other convincing methods include:

Asking for low-dose

Talking about how it affects your daily life

The psychological impacts it has, (for god's sake don't mention depression).

If all else fails, try to fake a breakdown and sob into your sleeve and ask him to tickle your chin like you are a warm baby kitten (worked for me).

Great, now that I know you are a guy, I can finally be comfortable in asking you out on a date.

This is a very good idea, I think this alone will score you mucho sympathy pointios.

Other convincing methods include:

Asking for low-dose

Talking about how it affects your daily life

The psychological impacts it has, (for god's sake don't mention depression).

If all else fails, try to fake a breakdown and sob into your sleeve and ask him to tickle your chin like you are a warm baby kitten (worked for me).

Lol, thanx for the advice. The thing is though that I don't like telling my life story to my doctors. Can't they just trust me when i say it affects my life? Do i really have to explain to them?

IDK, as i said this whole convincing business is just getting me really worked up.

Achieving anything worthwhile in life requires doing things that are hard. If something was easy then it wouldn't be worth anything. Just do it. Don't forget to update us.

Look up your insurance list of covered derms in your area, try 'em one by one.

I got lucky on my first one. For mild acne that I'd had for 2 years and RetinA didn't work on, I just told him I didn't want to take antibiotics since they aren't a permanent solution.

Ok, so for the past 4 months I've been visiting my damn doctor because he refused to give me a derm referral. I trieed 2 different creams, and a bunch of different antibiotics. As expected they did nothing and where a huge waste of time and money.

I finally got a referral this week after arguing with my doctor for so long. The bad news though is that the Derm he refferd me to is a very stubborn"doesn't listen to you" kind of doctor. My sister went to him so that's how I know.

Anyways, Ive had moderate acne for over 5 and a half years and I'm getting VERY sick of it. It pretty much ruined my high school social life and I will do ANYTHING from keeping it from ruining my college life. Even if it means buying accutane off the internet and taking it without a derms approval.

I do not want to do that, but I have a very good feeling that when I go to the derm next week he will refuse to prescribe it to me and just give another Bull Shit antibiotic and topical cream that will waste even more of my time and money.

So, do you guys have any pointers for helping me convince him?

PS - Why the fudge do doctors not listen to their patients. If I want something then give it to me. Im fudging paying your rich ass! I admire your opinion and advice, but it's MY choice to ignore you and you should respect that!

PSS - I was thinking about bringing up my sister. She had acne her whole life and went through dozenz and dozenz of treatments. She even went as far as getting laser treatment. None of it, even the laser treatment worked. The only thing she didn't try was accutane, and thats because she has migrane problems and it would have negatively affected her.

I would've stayed with the doctor. Going to the derm. was the worst decision I'd ever made.

UGH! My appointment was postponed until next week. All this stress is gonna make my skin even worse!

I guess I just gotta be patient.

I'll update you guys on what happens next week.

I got a quick question though. What is the actual requirement for getting accutane? I mean how bad does your skin half to be for them to just give it to you no questions asked.

Tell the derm that you have tried tons of antibiotics and tons of topicals and nothing seems to work and that even though your acne is moderate it is very persistant

It would have helped in your favour if you had given your other meds more of a chance. Most derms will not prescribe accutane unless you have tried a topical antibiotic and at least one (usually two) oral antibiotics for 3-6 months each. So unless you have really severe acne, you should have been trying other meds for a good 6-9 months before they will consider tane. This is because antibiotics take time to work...4 months of trying several meds with no consistent routine for them won't do much I'm affraid.

Try writing a letter to your derm before your appointment explaining your situation and how it's affecting your life and what happened with your sister. Be concise and polite, and it may just help because he'll know something about you before seeing you on the exam table.

My derm is a good guy, but he tends to talk more than listen, which is why I wrote a letter to him. I'll find out soon enough if he actually read the thing and took it seriously, but it's worth a try, right?

I hope you can get your acne under control and that he is sympathetic.

"PS - Why the fudge do doctors not listen to their patients. If I want something then give it to me. Im fudging paying your rich ass! I admire your opinion and advice, but it's MY choice to ignore you and you should respect that!"

This is probably because drugs, accutane in particular, are serious stuff and you can't possibly know all the reasons that a drug would be dangerous or not work for you.

I can completely understand why a doctor is hesitant to prescribe a top 10 dangerous drug, and to be honest, DEMANDING that he prescribe it to you is probably not going to help your case.

I know you are only seeing "acne cure!!!!" when you think of accutane but taking it is not a walk in the park by any means. I think you need to DISCUSS your situation with this doctor and not go in there insisting that he is wrong, you are right, and you must have accutane. You pay doctors because they are more educated and experienced than you.

You always have the right to seek a second opinion...if accutane matters that much to you, pay the out of pocket cost to see a different dermatologist without a referral. But going to doctor after doctor until someone gives in and prescribes you whatever drug you demand is not really a good life model for managing your own healthcare.

Alright guys I got an update for ya.

So, as i expected, my derm decided not to give me accuatane. However, he was suprizingly friendly about it. He told me it was one of his favorite drugs, and that he loved how effectively it works. Unfortunately though, he said that he can't prescribe me it untill i try at least a couple of other things first.

So, it's a win lose situation for me. I lose because I have to spend a good 4-6 moths trying different pills and creams(wich we all know won't work) but a win because after all that I'll be assured accutane no questions asked.

Normally I'd be a little ticked off in a scenario like this because it means I gotta wait even longer till I can feel comfortable about myself, but I guess I've spent so long working for this moment that 4-6 months isn't even that bad.

PS - Although the doctor was nice about the whole thing I did notice he became more attentive when I showed him my back acne. When he first saw my face he barely even thought of giving me an anti biotic. But after he saw my back he seemed to get more serious about stuff. And no, my bacne is not severe.

So, for any of you guys that are in a situation like mine make sure you point out that you have body acne as well. It seems the derms treat it more severely as if you have a skin rash, where as if when it's only on your face then they'll just throw some bezoyl peroxide at you and pretend it doesnt exist. By the way, I'm talking about mild acne when I say that.

Thanks for checking back in and giving an update. Don't knock those other pills and creams just yet. They could for work for you.

FINALLY! :dance:

I finally convinced my derm after 6 moths of crap wich not only didnt do anything but made me worse.

Alas, with one obstacle down there lies another. I never even thought about this, but for some reason my parents don't want me to take accutane. I think the damn derm scared them with the side effects lecture. Ugh! I am currently 18 so I could just say say screw you to my parents and drive down to the doc myself and do what i need to, but i'd rather have them on my side.

Any of you guys deal with this as well? Any tips?

Thanks for checking back in and giving an update. Don't knock those other pills and creams just yet. They could for work for you.

I finally convinced my derm after 6 moths of crap wich not only didnt do anything but made me worse.

Alas, with one obstacle down there lies another. I never even thought about this, but for some reason my parents don't want me to take accutane. I think the damn derm scared them with the side effects lecture. Ugh! I am currently 18 so I could just say say screw you to my parents and drive down to the doc myself and do what i need to, but i'd rather have them on my side.

when i was younger, my mom didnt like the idea of acctuane because of the side effects... but once i turned 20 and my acne was getting worse, and i had researched the drug extensively, she was ok with my decision to take accutane. my acne had scarred me emotionally and was hurting my self esteem... plus none of the other treatments had worked AT ALL. so maybe just talk to your parents... tell them that you have tried many other treatments and nothng has worked. just let them know that you are aware of the risks and want to give accutane a try. the side effects are usually mild and not permanant (in most cases)... and maybe have your sister talk to them since she suffered with acne for so long. but i dont think going behind there back would be the best idea... and im assuming they still pay for your health insurance so they would find out eventually. just have a heart to heart with them and hope they understand. my only regret is that i had taken accutane when i was 17 rather than 21... could have saved me a lot of heartache. good luck!

when i was younger, my mom didnt like the idea of acctuane because of the side effects... but once i turned 20 and my acne was getting worse, and i had researched the drug extensively, she was ok with my decision to take accutane. my acne had scarred me emotionally and was hurting my self esteem... plus none of the other treatments had worked AT ALL. so maybe just talk to your parents... tell them that you have tried many other treatments and nothng has worked. just let them know that you are aware of the risks and want to give accutane a try. the side effects are usually mild and not permanant (in most cases)... and maybe have your sister talk to them since she suffered with acne for so long. but i dont think going behind there back would be the best idea... and im assuming they still pay for your health insurance so they would find out eventually. just have a heart to heart with them and hope they understand. my only regret is that i had taken accutane when i was 17 rather than 21... could have saved me a lot of heartache. good luck!

Thnx for the advice. An yeah I really don't want to but i guess im gonna have a good chit chat with them and show them how it affects me emotionally. Thing is that I hate complaining and just sounding miserable and such. It's prolly why my parents don't understand. I always act tough and unemotional. I guess I'm gonna have to drop my "tough guy" exterior for them to trully see how horrible acne has made my life.

Again I really appreciate your response. You guys are all life savers.