Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Silvitni

Accutane + others

I dont know what Prednisone and Dapsone are... but my derm told me not to used ANYTHING else while on accutane. accutane is powerful enough by itself, you shouldnt take other acne medications use topical treatments while on accutane. I've heard some derms prescribing some strange things on here the last few days so it definitely doenst hurt to do your own research and get a second opinion.

Well actually I do get about 3-4 dermotologists oppinion every time, this is how it works in the Faroe Islands, and each time I see any of these dermotologists they read through my entire file.

but yeah, I also thought accutane was enough or that you shouldn't use anything else, especially not antibiotics, while on it and I can't really find anything about dapsone.. haven't started it yet, waiting for my bloodtest, apparently some rare test since they had trouble with the first time over.

I have been prescribed accutane and prednisolone (steroid, spelt very similar to what you are on, assume same thing) together. The steroid is for short term use to reduce inflammation. I was given it when I had a bad outbreak, went to derm who gave me accutane and then said to take the steroids as they work immediately while waiting for accutane to take effect. The steroids basically reduce inflammation quickly until accutane gets chance to work, once you stop using them their effects stop unlike accutane which continues to work on your skin.

Well actually I do get about 3-4 dermotologists oppinion every time, this is how it works in the Faroe Islands

Where is Faroe Islands?

Just because a doctor writes you a prescription for steriods (anti-inflammatory) doesn't mean you have to take it. Now, if someone near you has TB you'll get it. Prednisone compromises your immune systeme even months after stopping.

Dapsone is used to treat leprosy, dapsone can also be used to treat dermatitis herpetiformis.

Accutane is usually enough alone to treat even moderate to severe acne at 20mg per day on anybody under 200 pounds of body weight! Mild to Moderate can be treated by 10mg per day which reduces side effects.

Some derms are doing 10mg per day for 2 to 3 months then 10mg per week as a long term option! Thats if two 5-month courses (with a 2-month break in between) of Accutane doesn't do the trick.

in europe:) the Faroe Islands belong to Denmark, located somewhere in between Norway and Greenland:)

of course, but I'm really in pain.. and I'm pretty scared about my face since it has worsened much lately, it has gotten really inflamed.. and I'm in week 9 of accutane:/ I'm getting really bad breakouts still and I'm only on 40mg, got reduced from 60mg about a month ago.. and It hasn't helped. Still I haven't taken Dapsone yet because the wait for the bloodtest took forever and now they don't have the drug anywhere in the Faroe Island, I won't get it until about 2weeks:/

the prednisone worke sooo well for the pain, but I know that isn't a permanent solution so mabe Dapsone is the only solution for my still VERY bad breaks-outs. Only one week til I will see a derm now so hopefully he can help:)

in europe:) the Faroe Islands belong to Denmark, located somewhere in between Norway and Greenland:)

of course, but I'm really in pain.. and I'm pretty scared about my face since it has worsened much lately, it has gotten really inflamed.. and I'm in week 9 of accutane:/ I'm getting really bad breakouts still and I'm only on 40mg, got reduced from 60mg about a month ago..

Did you have acne as a teenager? I'm curious, if you have PCOS.

Your derm should have just prescribed 10mg per day for the first month.

The higher the dose the first month the more flare. 10mg per day is enough to dry your oil glands and clear most people.

nope I was a happy-ignorant-to-the-pains-of-acne until I turned 18.. and I would say I was pretty much over the development stage;)

I got 10mg the first week, then went up to 60mg for a couple of weeks and then the derm reduced it to 40mg since he didn't see the wanted effect.

my skin is pretty much of exept for the HUGE cysts, my forehead is really good, and if something apperes it usually goes away pretty quickly, also my nose has nooo problems, also my chin is good, but my cheeks from the front back to the ears is horrible with these huge things.. which seem to be contected in some way, they seem to follow a patern, from my ears, to the middest of my cheeks on the front and then down past my mouth .. and now starting to gave further down under the jaw..

what a description;p

I just looked at PCOS and I may have some of the criteria but I'm normal weight, I already eat health as is, I exercise pretty much actually.. but the doctor did say that I might be producing to much testosteron since the acne also started when I started exercising more seriously, with weights also.

my cheeks from the front back to the ears is horrible with these huge things.. which seem to be contected in some way.

Acne with "sinus tracts" tend to seem connected. That is Acne Conglobata the most severe form of acne.

Are you also taking the BC pill like Diane 35 or Ortho tricyclen? Those are the only two BC pills I recommend. Since, Yasmin raises your potassium levels potentially causing cardiac problems.

How many kg do you weigh? Since, you have the most severe form of acne. You should be maxed out at 2mg per 1 kg of body weight.

I'm taking Dianemite, but it hasn't worked before soe..

I weigh 59kg, thats about 120mg 'maxed out' and I'm only taking 40mg now.. soe that should be ok?

I looked up Acne Conglobata, it sounds about right in some ways, but I only have acne in my face, and yes since I started Isotretinion I got a break-out on my back, which I have never had a problem with before.