Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WhiteGold

My first post and introduction

Hello everyone,

I found this board earlier this week and have been reading non stop! I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 33 years old and have lived the past 17 years of my life with what I would call severe scarring on my entire face. I mostly have rolling (cheeks, jawline), and pock scars on my forhead and temples.

I started taking accutane when I was 16 and was almost a test subject for the stuff because it was so new at the time....you know, liver tests monthly etc... Accutane made my face at least three times as bad (cystic acne) as it was before I took it and left me with what feels like many lifetimes of scars and pain. Of course the accutane finally cleared up most of my acne but it left me battered.

It's amazing that few people know the true pain emotionally that acne can bring. The crater and pizza face jokes, the discrimination and the lonliness. It's very painful and it never goes away. If people only knew what the jokes, pointing and staring did to us emotionally.

I remember one time that for some reason I was feeling good about myself (unusual) and decided to go to the mall and buy some new clothes. As I was shopping and in a cheery mood, a mom and her young son walked past me as I was browsing through some clothes. The young kid started yelling, MOM, MOM, look at him, what's wrong with his face (for the whole store to hear as well). Well, it would have been less painful if a dagger was thrust through my heart...... Incidents like this are tough, and very painful! If people only knew. I guess you can't blame a kid though, he didn't know better and was only telling the truth as he saw it.

Anyway, I've been following the smoothbeam thread and I'm very anxious to try it! Hey, it can't hurt! Thanks for letting me inroduce myself and taking the time to read this. I look forward to contributing occasionally to the board, learning, and getting rid of some scars if possible.

WhiteGold :-({|= biggrin.gif

WhiteGold,

Welcome! I'm pretty new here myself and I can certainly relate to your pain. I have severe cystic acne from the time I was 15 until I was 23. I wanted to cry every time I looked in the mirror. I felt so ugly. I even had an ex-boyfriend ask me why my face was so messed up, like it was my fault (that really hurt)! Luckily for me Accutane worked and I've not had any major problems for the past 8 years (I'm now 31). But I also have lots of scarring left over. I thought most of my scars were ice picks to begin with but this board has helped me determine that my scars are mostly rolling scars with a few boxcars and icepicks thrown in. I hope you will find these boards to be quite helpful in your search for scar treatments, as I have. As soon as I can afford it, I am going to get Smoothbeam laser treatments. Until then, there are several products I want to try based on the reviews in these boards, including TCA Complex, lactic acid and Pure Demig intense gel. There is soooo much info to read over here so sit back, absorb it and enjoy!

Good luck! biggrin.gif

Thanks Miladycarol !

I can't believe all of the new treatment options. I seriously haven't looked into any treatments since my early 20's. Back then all they offered was dermabrasion and and they said it only helped moderately. Heck, I wouldn't have been able to afford it then anyway.

I pretty much resolved myself to living with my scars for the rest of my life....not now though! I want to try smoothbeam so bad!! I have mainly the softer rolling scars (lots of 'em) and it sounds like smoothbeam can do a lot....... hey, it's worth a shot!

WhiteGold

Hi and welcome Whitegold,

Look into the TCA cross method as well, it's a cheap treatment and it's make a different if you have servere scarring problems. I haven't done it yet, but I'm planning to as soon as know for sure I have a steady hand to put the acid into every single scar (and not to the surrounding area)... I spottreat my scars with the not so strong tca-complex, just to learn the technique. I have seen some improvements in my scars from this too!!!

Annette

Hi there Whitegold.

Welcome. You've definitely come to the right place - I don't think you could find a more knowledgeable group of posters than Maya, Oursfan and co on the Scar Forum. It is very cool that finding acne.org has made you feel more optimistic and informed about treatment options available to you.

cheers

Frances

Thanks for the welcome! I had to specifically go to google and search for "get rid of acne scars" and follow a couple of different links to find this site and all of the possible treatments. How many are in the same boat as me, as far as not knowing all of the new types of promising treatments? My guess is the majority (at least in my age group) don't know about them and kind of gave up on getting rid of scars.

WhiteGold

Hi and welcome Whitegold,

Look into the TCA cross method as well, it's a cheap treatment and it's make a different if you have servere scarring problems. 

Annette

Thanks Miladycarol !

I can't believe all of the new treatment options.  I seriously haven't looked into any treatments since my early 20's.  Back then all they offered was dermabrasion and and they said it only helped moderately.  Heck, I wouldn't have been able to afford it then anyway. 

I pretty much resolved myself to living with my scars for the rest of my life....not now though!  I want to try smoothbeam so bad!!  I have mainly the softer rolling scars (lots of 'em) and it sounds like smoothbeam can do a lot....... hey, it's worth a shot!

WhiteGold

Welcome Whitegold,

I actually had been wondering about dermabrasion because it is permanent, whereas lasers you need to keep getting them every few months to keep the changes. I had some laser treatments, cooltouch it was and they were done once a month for 6 months and now I have to keep going back every 3 to 6 months to keep the small changes it made on my skin. Cooltouch was about $250 per treatment x 6, $1500, plus all the future touch ups. They told me Dermabrasion is $2500 but I'm still kinda scared to do it, it looks very painful and takes a long time to heal. mmmhhh :-k, please keep us updated on your option and progress.