Notifications
Clear all

pantothenic acid vs. pantethine?

MemberMember
(@2shyguy)

Posted : 04/02/2004 9:01 pm

i personally think it is crazy to take 10 grams of something to try and rid acne. I don't think its crazy to try and rid acne (cause i would do anything to get rid of it), but taking such high doses doesn't seem very smart.

After reading about pantethine (the active form of B-5), i'm wondering why people aren't trying it instead of b5? From what ive read, you get a better effect with a lot less to no side effects. Because you only have to take around 900 mg or so of pantethine, there will be no adverse side effects.

Has anyone tried pantethine that had no success with b5? or if you never used b5 but are having success with pantethine please share. I'm just curious as to why people are using this supplement that seems like a much healthier avenue than b5

2SG

MemberMember
(@hopfensp)

Posted : 04/03/2004 12:36 am

I can't agree with you more, I am currently taking pantethine instead of B5 only at 300mg. 300mg for me is equivalent to about 6grams of B5.

I just don't see the sense in taking so many pills at such a high strength when I get better results using pantethine at a lower dosage. I can't say enough about how this product has worked for me. Although it appears that after searching this board, hardly anybody uses it.

MemberMember
(@malia)

Posted : 04/03/2004 12:53 am

I am currently taking pantethine instead of B5 only at 300mg.

wow! how long have you been taking it? do share your experience with it, your history, and your progress (please smile.gif ). its so hard to convince people to try something new that even if one person like you has something good to say because you've tried it then it might help a whole bunch of other people. thanks a bunch!

MemberMember
(@dude123)

Posted : 04/03/2004 1:59 am

I can't agree with you more, I am currently taking pantethine instead of B5 only at 300mg. 300mg for me is equivalent to about 6grams of B5.

I just don't see the sense in taking so many pills at such a high strength when I get better results using pantethine at a lower dosage. I can't say enough about how this product has worked for me. Although it appears that after searching this board, hardly anybody uses it.

MemberMember
(@2shyguy)

Posted : 04/03/2004 5:30 am

I think gamer found a better deal. For $10.49 a bottle, you can get 3 bottles at around $32 which is a full 2 months supply. I was gonna order them tonight (4:15 am), but they wouldnt ship out until monday anyway, so im gonna wait just to make sure.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/webapp/wcs/...Word=pantethine

2SG

MemberMember
(@hopfensp)

Posted : 04/03/2004 3:08 pm

I have been using pantethine for about 2 years now. I started taking B5 in january of 2001 and quit later in 2002. I always found that B5 for me wasn't as effective as taking pantethine, although I didn't have any side effects, like hair loss that some have. my skin is definitely alot drier now. When I started taking pantethine, I started at 600 mg and included 2G of B5, but I gradually over the course of a year cut down to 300mg per day and stopped B5, and I also take 50mg of zinc and a multivitamin too, but I was also doing that when I taking B5. I tried it once for a week at 900mg, and my skin was way too dry, so I had to cut down. I have used couple different brands and had success with all of them. The cheapest that I can find is using a brand call NOW; it's only about $11-12 for 60 softgels. I was using Jarrow, but they were too expensive, $18-$19.

If you want to try it, try and include a 450mg or 300mg pill and gradually diminish your B5 dosage over time. Play around with dosage and see what works best for you, that's what I did. This is so much better than trying to swallow 6-7 1G giant B5 pills.

MemberMember
(@tibman)

Posted : 04/03/2004 5:07 pm

I have used couple different brands and had success with all of them. The cheapest that I can find is using a brand call NOW; it's only about $11-12 for 60 softgels. I was using Jarrow, but they were too expensive, $18-$19.
MemberMember
(@malia)

Posted : 04/03/2004 7:50 pm

hopfensp:

that site suggested taking B5 with panthetine as well but maybe that's just recommended for people with high cholesterol. you might want to take a B-complex like once a week because the B vitamins deplete each other if you take a lot of some and not the others.

did you have an initial breakout? what else do you use in your regimen (topicals/food...etc)

MemberMember
(@dude123)

Posted : 04/03/2004 7:58 pm

I have used couple different brands and had success with all of them. The cheapest that I can find is using a brand call NOW; it's only about $11-12 for 60 softgels. I was using Jarrow, but they were too expensive, $18-$19.

Where did you order them from?

MemberMember
(@2shyguy)

Posted : 04/03/2004 8:13 pm

dude123:

How many bottles did you order? I want to order 3 from swansons, but im really really low on cash so i might just order 2 and see how that goes. I think because this is much more effective than pan. acid, that it shouldnt take as long, and therefore less pills.

2SG

MemberMember
(@dude123)

Posted : 04/03/2004 8:36 pm

dude123:

How many bottles did you order? I want to order 3 from swansons, but im really really low on cash so i might just order 2 and see how that goes. I think because this is much more effective than pan. acid, that it shouldnt take as long, and therefore less pills.

2SG

MemberMember
(@dude123)

Posted : 04/03/2004 8:38 pm

hopefully, I see some results in the next few days from the pantethine...I was so anxious to start it, that I just went to the mall a few hours ago to buy a bottle of the Vitamin World pantethine, even though that one bottle was $17.00....but at least this will hold me over till I get my online order in the mail...

whats got me excited about the whole pantethine thing is the fact that it is the intermediate step in Coenzyme A production.....because the cycle goes pantothenic acid===>pantethine====>coenzyme A

this way, I dont have to worry if my body is correctly breaking down the pantothenic acid, because all its gotta do now is turn the pantethine into CoA....

here's a good article on pantethine that I found that explains all the benefits, and exactly how it travels through your system....

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugp.../pan_0195.shtml

MemberMember
(@2shyguy)

Posted : 04/03/2004 9:04 pm

Well, that is the cheapest that I have seen those Atkin's vitamins. I dunno, the way i figure it is, If you start out with 900 mg, then that is 3 pills a day. But if you wanted to cut back, or even if that was too much, you only have to take two, which equals close to 2 months with 2 bottles instead of 3 bottles (of the swansons).

If you wanted to cut back with the 450 mg pills, you would have to take only 1 pill, which might not be enough.

Anyway, I think im gonna get 2 bottles of swansons, and start with 3 pills the first 3-4 days, then cut back to 2 to make it last.

2SG

MemberMember
(@dude123)

Posted : 04/03/2004 9:41 pm

Well, that is the cheapest that I have seen those Atkin's vitamins. I dunno, the way i figure it is, If you start out with 900 mg, then that is 3 pills a day. But if you wanted to cut back, or even if that was too much, you only have to take two, which equals close to 2 months with 2 bottles instead of 3 bottles (of the swansons).

If you wanted to cut back with the 450 mg pills, you would have to take only 1 pill, which might not be enough.

Anyway, I think im gonna get 2 bottles of swansons, and start with 3 pills the first 3-4 days, then cut back to 2 to make it last.

2SG

MemberMember
(@hopfensp)

Posted : 04/04/2004 2:28 am

hopfensp:

that site suggested taking B5 with panthetine as well but maybe that's just recommended for people with high cholesterol. you might want to take a B-complex like once a week because the B vitamins deplete each other if you take a lot of some and not the others.

did you have an initial breakout? what else do you use in your regimen (topicals/food...etc)

MemberMember
(@dude123)

Posted : 04/04/2004 3:57 pm

2ShyGuy

when your pantethine comes, are you gonna continue to take your B-5, or are you just gonna use the pantethine?

MemberMember
(@2shyguy)

Posted : 04/04/2004 5:23 pm

Umm, im not taking b-5. I tried it about a year ago, but it didnt work too well. It was really expensive so i quit after a few weeks.

2SG

MemberMember
(@malia)

Posted : 04/05/2004 1:26 am

hopfensp:

hmm so no initial breakout when switching to panthetine? that could have been because you were used to B5 already but maybe also due to a lower dosage. i will try pathetine. does anyone know approximately how long standard shipping is and if it's worth it to upgrade to UPS Ground or Express Service?

MemberMember
(@malia)

Posted : 04/05/2004 1:29 am

arrrgh...i am blind. right under "shipping method" it says "see shipping info" in tiny print. express is up to 5 days, ground is up to 7 days. but it doesn't specify for standard.

MemberMember
(@2shyguy)

Posted : 04/05/2004 1:32 am

where are you ordering from malia?

MemberMember
(@malia)

Posted : 04/05/2004 1:40 am

2SG:

OMG i feel like we're chasing each other around on these two threads!! LOL anyway if you haven't already posted back on the other, i am ordering from Swansons'

MemberMember
(@2shyguy)

Posted : 04/05/2004 6:12 pm

dude123, i know its only been like 2 or 3 days, but have you noticed any difference at all from the pantethine? LIke, drier skin, less pimples, less redness, more pimples, etc?

2sG

MemberMember
(@dude123)

Posted : 04/05/2004 7:14 pm

dude123, i know its only been like 2 or 3 days, but have you noticed any difference at all from the pantethine? LIke, drier skin, less pimples, less redness, more pimples, etc?

2sG

MemberMember
(@hopfensp)

Posted : 04/05/2004 10:01 pm

hopfensp:

hmm so no initial breakout when switching to panthetine?

MemberMember
(@malia)

Posted : 04/06/2004 12:55 am

hopfensp:

why DID you start taking pantethine? how did you hear about it?