Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nooblet

hormonal acne at 22, should I go on birth control?

My acne seems to come and go, I really break out bad during my period every single time which makes me suspect that hormones come to play, also I noticed some hair sprouting over my lip (I'm a woman) which is disturbing in itself and I know it sounds weird, but I noticed when I shave my legs, they feel prickly the next day, which is strange because before they stayed smooth for couple days, now they dont. I know that excess hair has something to do with extra testosterone production so I though birth control would work. My concern is that I recently weaned off antidepressants and anxiety meds which gave me afwul sideeffects, I'm afraid I'll gain ton of weight on this or worse have a blood clot. I'm also prone to yeast infections, and I heard that birth control makes it worse, is it true?

thanks

Birth control can cause all of the things that you mentioned, BUT not in all people. You really should discuss these things with your doctor. They will know your history and can help you make an informed decision. Birth control pills should definitely help with hormonal acne.