Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nikole69

Retin-A cream or gel?

I've been using the cream since earlier this year and was about 95% clear after 3 months, but recently I have had a few little breakouts, I've read that the cream has an incredient that is not good for acne, so should I switch to the gel, or is that more drying? (my skin type is dry). I'm also wondering if the breakouts are due to the fact that I stopped using my glycolic cleanser about a month before the breakouts started as that is the only difference I have made to my routine.

I would love any advice!

I have been using the cream for over a year and didn't break out (I have oily skin). What ingredient did you discover isn't good for acne? Ask your dermatologist about switching if you feel that could be the cause, and ask for her opinion. Did you substitute another cleanser for the glycolic? I do know that you must stay consistent with a regimen for a long time. I switched face washes once and I had a small breakout, and I am sure that is what caused it. If I can help anymore I will.

EDIT: I meant to say I am using Retin-A Micro.

Thanks for your reply. The ingredient is isopropyl myristate and apparently the gel doesn't contain it (I only found out about this yesterday from this site). I'm thinking though that if there were no major concerns for the first 3 or 4 months that it is probably more to do with not using the glycolic product, as I hear they are a good combo. I used makeup wipes for sensitive skin for a while then changed to Neutrogena extra gentle cleanser. Am waiting for more of my glycolic wash to arrive in post, so will see if that is the missing link.

The glycolic product I use is the ASAP range - I found it on the net and managed to find a couple of people here in NZ who stock it (beauty therapists). I really like it the cleanser is 12%, the scrub (which makes your skin feel super-smooth) is 14% and the night cream is 10%. They have a few other different products too.

I was just thinking that they say you have to keep using Retin-A for the benefits to stay, so hopefully you will not break out again when you stop using it. What about just cutting down to a few applications per week?

Sorry, I think I worded that a bit wrong. I was just referring to you saying that you are going to have a break and I was worried that you might experience a break out if you do (I'm not planning on cutting down at the moment). As for me, I just read that the cream is better for dry skin, so I will stick to that I think. I can always tell though when I am going to start peeling as my skin feels all tight, so I'm thinking on the day I feel that I will skip a night and just moisterise well.

The three times thing sounds good. I'm sure that will be plenty to keep the benefits going. You're lucky that you don't really peel, I hate it when I don't notice it then look in the mirror at the end of the day and see it all and think arrrrghhh, what must everyone at work have thought! Anyway, good luck to you too.

Glycolic acid is good for treating acne, and likely stopping that cleanser has caused your breakouts to return. The retin-a wouldn't just start clogging your pores if it didn't before. Why don't you go back to the routine that was working for you?

And yes, the gel is much much much more drying, doesn't absorb as well, and is difficult to layer moisturizer over as it peels off. I used to be scared of the cream, but I realized the breakout I had was an IB and it doesn't clog my pores at all. Isopropyl myristate is known to be comedogenic, so it is odd that they put it in the cream. I suppose the benefits of tretinoin outweigh the negatives of isopropyl myristate for us....

Thanks Siouxsie, yes, I am going back to old routine, just waiting patiently for my glycolic cleanser to arrive in post. The only reason I stopped was because I ran out and then thought that I wouldn't need it since Retin-A is supposed to do the job I had got the glycolic for, but anways, hope my theory is right and all gets better once I start on the combo again. I read that that ingredient in the Retin-A (sorry can't remember how to spell it off the top of my head!) helps creams to spread better or something, but like you say if it was a problem for me, it would have been a problem from the start. Thanks for your info about the gel, I was close to getting a new script, so glad I didn't I think it would have been a very bad idea for my dry skin.

Ok, I know this topic is really old, buutt i thought I'd try and see if anybody answers.

My dermatologist just prescribed the Tretinoin .025 cream to me and I also recently found out about the ingredient isopropyl myristate that can irritate acne. I'm a little bit nervous to start because of this ingredient, but I tend to have very dry skin so maybe it'll be better than the gel? I'm not sure, but I guess I'll give it a try.

Nikole69- I have some glycolic acid gel on hand too, should I continue to use that with my Tretinoin .025. I don't think the glycolic acid I have is a cleanser, I think it's a spot treatment, should I still use it?