Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i have been off of accutane for 2 years and i continued to develop persistent side effects as time went on. this is to share my experience thus far.

Everyday I now face

severe dryness of the skin, lips, rough, dry, flakes all over,severely dry, red blurry eyes, dry nasal passage, dry brittle hair , mouth and throat dryness

hairloss, shedding of hair, receding hairline

complete loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, impotency, loss of sensation, orgasms dont feel good anymore and my thingy has actually reduced in size, maybe cause it wont get fully up though.

breathing difficulty, hard to take full breathes feels like my diagram isin't filling up fully, cant fully take a breathe.

severe rosacea, flushing, permanent redness on both cheeks

Heart problems, Cardiac Arrythmia, severe weakness

heart racing, pounding, heart palpitations

muscle weakness

circulation problems

stomache bloated 24/7, inflammatory bowel disease, causing severe stomache pains, can't eat anything I enjoy anymore and constantly constapated/diarehha

constant fatigue

insomnia , worst thing i've ever experienced and it was severe for about 3 months, thought i was literally not going to make it

short term memory loss, if I think of something and I don't say it or do it within 2 minutes the thought is gone and I can't remember

lose my train of thought constantly, my vocabulary is completely gone most of the time and my ability to form cohesive thoughts are out the window. incoherent speech, all due to central nervous system problems

once the sexual problems set in I knew this was the beginning of the end of my body being the same on any level.

everything came down on me even harder this summer where I ended up developing some more debilitating problems. I pretty much get no enjoyment out of anything in life now and probably never will. I am just barely hanging on at the moment

I developed severe social anxiety phobia, agrophobia, mostly due to the constant physical problems i've had for the past 2 years.

feels like im being judged every 2 seconds, i also feel like the ugliest person in the world and i'm no good.

I've never experienced anything so debilitating. I thought I've experienced depression or anxiety before but it was like heaven compared to what I am experiencing now.

I also definitely don't feel as intelligent as I used to be.

keep in mind i have been off of Accutane for almost 2 years.

I try to move on but I find myself unable to cope with situations ( anxiety, phobia situations ) I could have easily dealt with before Accutane, This has made it twice as hard, despite of my other side effects.

I have suffered many more different side effects but I can't even remember them all..a

there is also been a study out that around 10% of people suffer from long term persistent side effects. i cant remember where I saw it but ill try to post it later. that is 1 in 10 people.. alot more than you can imagine.

another big problem now is that most doctors have absolutely no idea how to deal with these things, and think that you are a hypochondriac, exaggerating. even my own FAMILY now is labeling me as mentally ill when i am not. I am sick due to the constant long term effects of a poisonous drug.

the longer this illness continues the more lonely and isolated you become because the only people that have ANY clue what so ever and can relate or help you are the people who have been through this mess themselves.

You get no respect for this condition, people have far more respect for example someone struggling with alcoholism cause they can see what the problem is and can show some kind of sympathy and understanding. You can't tell your friends about accutane they will think you are just looking for a excuse for your depressive illness or health problems, and they will not like you for it. I get closer to suicide everyday but am holding out because I think some people im in touch with are coming closer to alleviating our effects much better and bringing the truth out. The only reason I am still alive is because of all the supporting people on the internet that know what i'm actually going through and try to give me hope. I would do anything to go back in time but I have to face the fact now that I cannot. I also feel like a much older person than I actually am and I will post some information later proving that it does actually age you prematurely.

and I mean i've always been a passive person by nature but now I'm angry and I have some kind of frustrating urge inside of me to let the world know what this evil drug has done to me.

i'm telling you people, your playing with fire by going on Accutane, you have no idea how much of a pain in the ass it is if the side effects get out of control, now the question is do you want to end up like me?

sorry for this post being so long, thats if you read it. but please take my advice, and do NOT by any means go on this horrible drug. I can easily say that this past 2 years has been complete hell and it continues to be every day. the suffering Accutane can cause is unimaginable and this sickness is much worse than any kind of acne. The more I suffer the more motivated I am to expose the truth.

also it feels as if its not normal depression. Your body degenerates as does your mind. you never feel 'normal' or healthy and you never know what is going to happen next.

To the people that read this and don't think much of it and decide to go on tane anyways, atleast you now know that if you ever develop any weird problems after accutane you have been warned.

please do your research on this drug before you take it, it can cause irreversible genetic damage.

moregano

Sorry to hear about your side effects. What dosage were you on and how long? I have used accutane 3 times and suffered side effects-many of the side effects you describe will also appear later in life even after being off the Tane. It was great to go 5 years without dealing with acne- It's seems to be a trade off-like me-I used it when I was younger so I would have my youth, but when you get older "at least for me" I suffer from many of the problems that you have listed. I'm sure your side effects will diminish in time. Are you taking any meds now?

I feel for you and applaude you for telling us your story. The people who have success with accutane truly do not believe these side effects can happen, but they do. I hope you are getting professional help and are on some good anti anxiety meds for that problem. Find a forum of people like yourself so you know you are not alone. Talking with others helps when you are depressed and in constant pain. keep looking for a competent doctor who specializes in Accutane and its side effects, they are there on the web.

Good Luck!

I give you ammence amount of credit for dealing with what you are, even though you are not looking for that, you just want justice served and the true long term side affects advertised, which is completely understandable and honestly I would like to know them aswell, so whatever information you have regarding these "people" on the inside please share it. I really do feel for your pain thou. Stay strong, all good things come to those who wait. You will in time be able to alleviate some if not all of your symptoms, its bound to happen, you just have to be strong and stay hopefull untill that comes along.

michaelb: I was on 80mg for 6 months.I believe if I went on a lower dose back then I

wouldn't be in this situation today and I would be out enjoying life. Yes that is the thing with tane, most if not all of the worst sides appear AFTER your treatment and that's why it's so hard to prove in court. At the moment I have been trying out Remeron to alleviate my sleep disorders and to help my mental problems but it hasn't given me much relief. Almost all my sides have appeared after my treatment with tane so I'm not to optimistic about them diminishing anytime soon. I will be experimenting more with low dose SSRI's to see if they can help but I am worried cause of the heart condition I developed that some drug like that may push my heart problems to far, and also make my sexual dysfunction worse. Im interested getting in touch with you via msn or something since you said you also suffer many of the sides I have. let me know

mom of accutane: I found a forum but it was too late, one look at the forum would have stopped me from taking accutane back then. I remember the first time I saw it was 6 months after my treatment and that was the day I realized that things were never going to be the same. Now it only makes me more depressed if I look at it to much. I actually get more treatment advice from the people who have went through this for decades than any doctor could give me. All doctors are good for in this impossible situation is getting blood tests and referrals. Thats it.

chrisv: Thanks for your kind words. Yes that is exactly it. I want justice served.

Accutane is truly one of the biggest medical mistakes in the past 30 years and I will do

anything to show people how devestating this drug can be. Roche has completely robbed me

and many others of our most important asset, our health. I feel I will get my vengeance

in this life and make them pay for what they have done. I'll be sharing the information

soon when I get some more of it together.

wow,80mg is a really strong dose.I really feel sorry for You and hope that things will get better soon!

thank you for posting your experience! People deffenetly need to read this before thinking about accutane. Really thanks and i wish you luck with exposing the trouth. are you only taking meds for sleep? if you live in a state where its available then medical marijuana might be helpful for sleep, pain, depression, sensation etc..

good luck

damn that sucks =/ well know I know if my acne ever comes back to never use it! and besides it doesnt have genetic altering capabilities......

damn that sucks =/ well know I know if my acne ever comes back to never use it! and besides it doesnt have genetic altering capabilities......

well it does in simple words "mess with your dna"

you should read up!

Isotretinoin's exact mechanism of action is unknown. However it is known that, like other retinoids, the drug alters DNA transcription.

from wikipedia

Bro you know i will always be there for you, us guys have to stick together. We all want justice served and things always have a way of coming back to people, the big wigs at roche will eventually get what they deserve.

We will also get what we deserve in the afterlife as long we continue to be good people. I know your a very good person yourself so rest assured you will get what is deserved eventually bro.

Just a point i would like to mention, if you google enough about roche you will find that a few years ago they were fined 100million dollars for deceptive and faulse labeling of products. They do this with everything and try to hide some of the nasty facts about their products. They litrally are the devil, they know what this drug is doing to so many people, but continue to feed peopel with bullshit lies.

The suffering that just a few of us have experienced is enough to warrent the cessation of accutane.

Now having said this, Morgan my man you know i believe many of the side effects can be dealt with but as you know it is so hard to find treatments for helping improve some aspects without making others worse. Not only that it is actually very hard to get someone who fully understands.

The ONLY reason i can live a relatively normal life now is because of the help of an amazing doctor.

I take 4 meds to deal with my accutane side effects, without them i am a totally different person.

Amen to my good friends MoreGano, Max, Lamarr and Michael B, and recently Lite of Hope and all those on the forum helping to warn others of potentially making the biggest mistake of their lives by taking this drug. If we can convince one person not to take the damned drug, that is a significant success.

Lamarr - sorry mate my battery died the other night and I haven't had a chance to charge it yet. I'll give you a call tonight. Thanks for your help so far.

God bless everyone going through this nightmare. 26 and never has life been so damn horrid.

Greg

i think you have cancer and your going to die haha sorry but that all just sound awfulll i took accutane and my dick is fine lol so idk it sounds like you have other problems how old are you are you fat ?? do you eat right dose your famliy have bad genes ?? i dont think accutane can cuz all of that

i think you have cancer and your going to die haha sorry but that all just sound awfulll i took accutane and my dick is fine lol so idk it sounds like you have other problems how old are you are you fat ?? do you eat right dose your famliy have bad genes ?? i dont think accutane can cuz all of that

don't eat sugar or carbs, not fat, and no the rest of my family is healthy which is pretty easy to see why, they never took a chemotherapy drug

for a full explanation of Accutane's sexual side effects visit this link :

http://www.erbook.net/accutane.htm

also here is some more stuff

"From what I've observed, I believe the people who suffer the latent

side effects of Accutane have the opposite problem that people with

cancer have. With cancer patients, there's too much malicious cell

division going on, but with Accutane patients, there's too little

normal bodily cell division or sometimes none at all because the

Accutane has caused critical telomere shortening, inducing growth

arrest in various areas of the body where cell division is supposed to

be ongoing. What's bad about Accutane is there's a huge amount of

individual variability when it comes to the side effects. For some

people, it takes multiple courses of Accutane to induce permanent side

effects, but for others all it takes is one round to put their bodies past

the critical point of no return. Different people get different

combinations of side effects and they are very unpredictable, because

through influencing DNA transcription (which is what all

retinoid/vitamin A drugs do), it causes random groups of cells all

over the body to differentiate and shut-down when they are not

supposed to. This is why it is used in chemotherapy. Chemotherapy

drugs kill rapidly dividing/proliferating cancerous cells, but they

also kill the healthy rapidly dividing/proliferating native cells of

the body along with the cancer."

matt, i think you need to attend your lack of empathy and try to be more sensitive towards a person who is brave and noble enough to speak up about this issue to warn and help others from going through it.

moving on... moreGano, thank you for sharing your experience. i have decided i will not go on accutane, agree health should not be traded off by acne.

for a short time, i took contraceptive pills, and i started developing horrible speech problems, saying one word when actually meaning another, loss of memory, i can only describe as some sort of a short blackout. i inmediately stopped taking them and it had no further effect one, but it was very scary.

as i and many people here appreciate your kind advice, i would recommend you to get physical and mental threatment, if you havent yet. some of the symptoms you describe can be attended and rehabilitated, i would emphasize depression and major health issues. seek advice in ways to integrate threatments into your lifestyle, i believe you can have a substantial improvement. please do keep us checked about your condition and hopefully progress and i truly hope you get better.

No offense, but that was a very rude, uneducated comment. You should be embarrassed.

thanks bagut

Unfortunately healing after Accutane means accepting the damage in the largest part.

The healing of the brain, even if it exists is minimal

there is no talk about Accutane damage being fixable. It is life long damages that are inflicted in hundreds of thousands of people, of which, if they would have had correct and full information they would have stayed away from Accutane. But their desperation for curing acne was used against them.

With everything that is actually known now about Accutane it will be off the market sooner or later, less than 2 years.

i too hope many dangerous drugs are taken off the market. why the hell are doctors still promoting this alternatives? it has been taken too far. anyway, please do consider threating the side effects, even if caused by this drug, i believe the human body is always in a struggle to "help us help itself", so there may be a lot of factors, such as meditation, nutrition, etc that can help your recovery, it is worth for having a full life, even when things have gotten bad for a while. hang in there. btw i edited my last post, where i made a possibly misleading typo about what i was trying to say, sorry, my native language is not english and sometimes i get confused :redface:

don't eat sugar or carbs, not fat, and no the rest of my family is healthy which is pretty easy to see why, they never took a chemotherapy drug

for a full explanation of Accutane's sexual side effects visit this link :

http://www.erbook.net/accutane.htm

also here is some more stuff

"From what I've observed, I believe the people who suffer the latent

side effects of Accutane have the opposite problem that people with

cancer have. With cancer patients, there's too much malicious cell

division going on, but with Accutane patients, there's too little

normal bodily cell division or sometimes none at all because the

Accutane has caused critical telomere shortening, inducing growth

arrest in various areas of the body where cell division is supposed to

be ongoing. What's bad about Accutane is there's a huge amount of

individual variability when it comes to the side effects. For some

people, it takes multiple courses of Accutane to induce permanent side

effects, but for others all it takes is one round to put their bodies past

the critical point of no return. Different people get different

combinations of side effects and they are very unpredictable, because

through influencing DNA transcription (which is what all

retinoid/vitamin A drugs do), it causes random groups of cells all

over the body to differentiate and shut-down when they are not

supposed to. This is why it is used in chemotherapy. Chemotherapy

drugs kill rapidly dividing/proliferating cancerous cells, but they

also kill the healthy rapidly dividing/proliferating native cells of

the body along with the cancer."

wow dude sorry i was nt like trying to be a dick or anything but like all the stuff you have just sounds so bad i mean i took accutane and i was fine so idk what to tell you im not trying to be rude to you tho hope you get better im sure you will :]

Wow, 80mg for 6 months? Your dermatologist should be slapped in the face. Did you start on 80 or work up to it?

Anyway just stay strong and random people on here are always here if you need help or words of support. :)