Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
luckymee

Inflammatory disease cause of acne??

So I never really thought about this before...

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis when I was 9 (i'm 20 now). Basically, your immune system attacks your intestines, causing inflamation and ulcers (eww). I've been on my fair share of prednisone and even one med that lowers the amount of white blood cells. Earlier this year I had another flare that landed me in the hospital for 4 days. Now I'm thinking....does this have any affect on my acne? I've never heard of this before but to me it kind of makes sense...has anyone else ever heard of these two things relating?? :think:

IDK if that particular disease is associated with acne, but the fact that you say both inflammation & colitis/colon in the same text suggests to me based on my experience that you're onto something.

In my own case of suffering from cystic acne, I found that my diet and other factors were producing an inflammation, and that much of my acne could be attributed to food sitting too long in my colon. IOW, I wasn't having enuf BMs to keep my skin clear and the results showed on my skin. When I finally got onto this from others on the org, my skin cleared up drastically. I just had to find what amount of fiber to get to optimum levels. Best suggestion is to find everything you can out about your disease and pore over the Nutrition and Holistic Forum as I did, because acne IMHO HAS TO BE healed from the inside out, not the outside in. Since you're female your obviously different than me, but I think there's got to be some help for you on the org.

Stay strong and positive and keep looking for answers, maybe look into diet, metabolic type, balanced lifestyle, water intake etc. As far as I know colitis is an inflammation of the colon, so what do you think is causing it? Diet? Stress? Hormones? Keep looking deeper and I firmly believe you'll find your answers.

Yeah it's very common for people with acne to also have other concurrent health problems. Your whole body works as a system, and acne is a sign that something is wrong with that system, and the same problem that is causing your acne could be causing many other of your health problems as well.

wow thanks everyone! i didn't think i would ever get any responses! i've been trying to eat very healthy with lots of veggies and whole grains. i'm not sure if it's had any effect on my acne, but i am feeling better. still trying to fight off a little flare up (of UC), so hopefully after thats better my skin will improve~! and as far as my uc, im convinced it's stress driven. im currently on anti anxiety medication so we'll see how that goes!

Glad to hear YOU'RE GLAD TO HEAR!!! Whatever you choose to do it's up to you, but I have to caution you that the more you think about taking pills or something from the outside of you to "fix" what's inside, the more IMHO you're setting yourself for more probs. I think that's especially true when it comes to psychotropic drugs, they may help you in the short term but long term I've seen different people I know struggle even more rather than thinking/finding their own answers.

I'm not trying to minimize your struggles, but I am trying to suggest to you that there are other solutions that are much healthier and better in the long term.

As far as anxiety, I'd suggest trying to learn to meditate and/or some form of yoga. Also, there's a great book by Louise Hay, called "You Can Heal Your Life." It details what she believes are the causes of such things as colitis, stress, anxiety, etc., really any disease. She's on www.hayhouse.com. or Google it. They have great authors. BTW, one thing I learned that I didn't at first believe is that there really is no stress. There's only how we "choose" to react to any given situation. Stress doesn't really exist. You can't go out and invite stress into your life, it's only your own choices.

I've also seen a repeating commercial for the Midwest Center for Stress and Anxiety that gives a holistic program for these type of problems. It's run by counselors. IDK how good it is (anyone?) but it may be worth looking into. Whatever you do, I strongly suggest you change your thinking to very often include , "I'm finding answers to my anxiety," you won't believe where that will lead you. GOOD LUCK!!!!! :angel:

So I never really thought about this before...

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis when I was 9 (i'm 20 now). Basically, your immune system attacks your intestines, causing inflamation and ulcers (eww). I've been on my fair share of prednisone and even one med that lowers the amount of white blood cells. Earlier this year I had another flare that landed me in the hospital for 4 days. Now I'm thinking....does this have any affect on my acne? I've never heard of this before but to me it kind of makes sense...has anyone else ever heard of these two things relating?? :think:

luckymee, I'm not sure if you're still following this thread. There is a diet called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet that treats Ulcerative Colitis. It has a lot of adherents and many success stories. The founder of the diet theorizes that many inflammatory digestive disorders are caused by dysbiosis (bacterial imbalance in the digestive system). Another purported symptom of dysbiosis is acne. You may want to look into the possibility that both you're conditions are caused by dysbiosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_Carbohydrate_Diet

http://www.scdiet.org

Definitely stay away from milk!! http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/hurtf...-cow-juice.html

Have you considered fasting? When done safely (I would read up on it first and know what you're doing), it can really help in speeding up the healing process: http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:NPE0sw...;cd=1&gl=us

Also, did you know that cruciferous veggies are the most healing foods you can eat? When they're blended, you get four times the amount of nutrition, and I would suspect you're blended your veggies anyway to make digestion easier for you as you're healing. There is more information, recipes for smoothies, and soups and other resources in my smoothie thread - the link is in my signature. I hope you will check it out, as I really think the resources there can help you on your journey to better health. :)