Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok i have some SERIOUS problems. I don't really have acne, i get occasional zits here and there. The problem is, when i get a pimple, i will pick at it and pick at it and then it turns into a HUGE scab and my face looks horrible even though i just a have one or two zits. I dont know why i dont learn from my misakes and stop picking. Another problem is, i continously apply astringent to my pimple all day and i keep picking at it. I guess i think that my pimple will go away if i keep putting astringent on it, but usually it just irriatates it even more. I dont understand why i have to be so obsessed with picking my face. If i would just freaking leave it alone, it would be perfect! Does anyone know anyways to help stop picking!! thanks

keep putting ink on your fingers, then you wont wanna get a blue face, so you wont touch!! biggrin.gif

Or if you actually use your hands, you could perhaps cut your nails really short, and get a freind/ family member to stop you from doing it, to help break the habit.

Picking at ones face can also be an expression of stress or anxiety. if you feel it is like this for you, perhaps you need to concentrate in removing stress from your life (if poss) or learning ways of dealing with it and relaxation techniques...(yoga is good for this)

I know what you're talking about.

I got this horrible mirror in this horrible light - you see everything!

So - I took it down. biggrin.gif

I do the same. The best way I have found to keep my habit under control might sound strange, but it works for me. I get acrylic nails, not dragon lady long but long, and then I am unable to pick whatsoever. My neighbor even commented on the HUGE difference in my complexion when I have long nails that keep me from doing damage to my face. I am not a long nail person- I have 3 small children- but I'd rather put up with nails than be a scabby mess.

Rach - get a handcream with a strong scent....so when you unconsiously bring your hand to your face the scent will snap you out of it. Works. smile.gif

Man i dont know how anyone can pick at there acne. Ive learnt that always, whenver i haved picked my acne it has gotten worse from picking at it, not once has it gotten better. So why make your acne worse when you got the option not to?

It's not that simple, you can do it unconsciously, or you can believe it will look a bit better if you just squeeze a bit. sad.gif

It took me a LONG time to stop squeezing. You really feel like you can make it look better. It's the hardest habit to stop.

And when one badboy is about to burst, I still have to, lest it pop on someone else.

When I get obsessed and just want to touch my face just to actually feel comfort from it, I have learned to touch it in good ways. Like get some jojoba oil and just rub it into your face for as long as you need to before going to bed at night. It becomes a good habit. If you have some spots I find just rubbing a little vaseline on them actually helps draw out the pimple faster in a healing way. Then you can touch it by just massaging it in. I know I need to feel like I'm doing something to ease the mind.

Also another trick I saw on another board that makes you feel like you are doing something when you are actually doing nothing, is to get a sheet of paper and mark all the hours out that you are going to be tempted, if you usually only pick at certain times of the day, write those hours out in two hour increments or less if you want. If you are home the whole day healing from a picking episode just chart the whole day like this. Then after each of the two hour increments go and cross off the hours and put a smiley face by it if you didn't pick. Then you feel a sense of accomplishment for getting thru the trigger times. Keep going and if you do screw up then just make a note of the hours and know that is the weak time of day for you. Or journal what stress it was that made you pick. Learn about your patterns. Remember to reward yourself when you make progress!

i know how you feel. my face was completely clear until i got a few zits. not that bad, but eversince i was using tetracycline, i only got little zits and when i did pop them, nothing bad really happened. well not this time, those little zits i popped turned into monster scabs. now i am home just sitting here on my computer reading about the Emotional and psychological effects of acne. lol but seriously, i dont even wanna go out, and i have school tomorrow. MY SKIN WAS NICE!!! AND THEN A FEW ZITS CAME UP AND I POPPED THEM AND NOW MY FACE IS FUCKED WITH SCABS AND I DONT WANNA GO TO SCHOOL TOMORROW BUT I HAVE TOO!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

but i guess i learned my lesson now. no more popping.

i know how you feel. fuck. this leaves scars too! well i wrote a message on my mirror (no one will see it) no more of this stupid stuff.

Oh damn yes I have problems with this to. Cuz really, sometimes when I pop it really get's better, especially when you pop a cystic one at the right time. But when I pop cystic ones at the wrong time, damn then I get a cystic one as large as a football field.

Anyways the only way to control myself is to don't look in the mirror which is pretty hard.